Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ammo ship explosions - ot

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Ammo ship explosions - ot Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/3/2014 6:08:45 PM   
slane_slith

I was playing the other day and thought I saw it say that one of my subs had torpedoed an AE. Upon closer inspection I was wrong but it got me to thinking would I have gotten a "tremendous explosion" message or something similar. Has anyone "got" an AE before?

Yes I'm bored

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph" -Thomas Paine
Post #: 1
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/3/2014 6:52:12 PM   
pmelheck1

Yes I got an AE bought from Matrix Games. Best game I ever bought. Sorry couldn't resist...

(in reply to slane_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/3/2014 7:29:04 PM   
crsutton

The magazine explosion event is random and can happen to any ship (or is it warship) usually resulting in it sinking right away. I do know that a hit or torpedoed tanker or ship carrying oil or fuel has a greater chance of burning. But I don't think that an AE type ship has a greater chance of explosion. In the eyes of the AI, it is just carrying supply and is treated no different than any other cargo vessel.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 3
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/3/2014 7:29:28 PM   
mind_messing

You'd see something like "massive internal explosion aboard AE Pyro" or something to that effect. You occasionally get it with carriers that have ammo or fuel start cooking off.

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 4
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/3/2014 8:14:36 PM   
slane_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: mullk

Yes I got an AE bought from Matrix Games. Best game I ever bought. Sorry couldn't resist...

I expected better from someone who visits this forum. Who am I kidding it was funny.

I figured since they spent most of their time disbanded they're hard to hit. Something special for getting one would be nice.

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 5
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/3/2014 10:39:22 PM   
btd64

About two years ago I had a AO explode and sink in harbor during unloading. No indication it was a torp. Just went GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 6
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/4/2014 12:03:07 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

You'd see something like "massive internal explosion aboard AE Pyro" or something to that effect. You occasionally get it with carriers that have ammo or fuel start cooking off.

Ammo and Fuel Storage explosions are separate entirely.

"Massive explosion damage" is something that can happen on any ship, really.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 7
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/4/2014 2:19:25 AM   
dr.hal

I usually see it about aircraft carriers......lots of fuel vapors all around!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 8
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/4/2014 3:11:40 PM   
slane_slith

I've been lucky, other than my AK drivers banging into each other like my wife in a parking lot I've had no catastrophic ship losses. Now that I've tempted the fates all my carriers will sink next turn...

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 9
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/4/2014 6:26:20 PM   
wegman58

Not sure if true or not, but I did two years on USS BUTTE (AE-27). Someone said that if we went BOOM in the middle of the ocean (just the conventional stuff, not the special weapons) it would take eight minutes for the waters to calm.

But I never had a problem sleeping on top of 6000 tons of munitions.

Post #: 10
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/4/2014 7:26:24 PM   
slane_slith

I remember reading about an AE off Palau that got hit by a kiatan. It blew a 30 foot hole in the seafloor and the pieces that were recovered were what landed on nearby ships.

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 11
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/4/2014 10:05:40 PM   
wdolson

There were a couple of munition ships that exploded in port. One I think was in Oakland, CA. I may be misremembering.

Another was an LST in Pearl Harbor that was being loaded for an upcoming invasion. It took out the LST and did a lot of damage to other ships nearby. I think it sank one or two of them too.

Wasn't there also an ammunition ship hit off Sicily? Again, I may be misremembering.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 12
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/5/2014 12:30:20 AM   
sanch

A good piece of Halifax, NS got flattened in 1916 by an AE that exploded (wrong war, I know, but same idea).

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 13
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/5/2014 2:00:02 AM   
tc464

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

There were a couple of munition ships that exploded in port. One I think was in Oakland, CA. I may be misremembering.

Another was an LST in Pearl Harbor that was being loaded for an upcoming invasion. It took out the LST and did a lot of damage to other ships nearby. I think it sank one or two of them too.

Wasn't there also an ammunition ship hit off Sicily? Again, I may be misremembering.

Bill

West Loch, Pearl Harbor and a couple months later Port Chicago Naval Magazine in Port Chicago, CA. There were other, smaller ones too like Dutch Harbor, Naples Italy.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 14
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/5/2014 2:11:36 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

There were four US ships exploding in port by accident in WW2:

- AE Mount Hood at Manus 1944 with about 3.800 tons of ammo on board

- LST-353 at West Loch, Pearl Harbor 1944 loaded with mortar ammo (six other LSTs and a bunch of LCTs lost as well)

- SS E.A. Bryan in the "Port Chicago disaster" 1944, over 4.600 tons of ammo flattening the town (that is near Oakland)

- AK Serpens exploding while loading depth charges at Guadalcanal 1945

Other ships carrying munitions exploded as results of enemy action. SS Mary Luckenbach, carrying 1000 tons of TNT, exploded after an aerial torpedo hit when on the Murmansk run with convoy PQ 18 in 1942. SS John Harvey exploded in Bari (Italy) during a German air raid, spreading mustard gas (sent to the ETO "just in case") through the city, and Liberty Ship Robert Rowan, loaded with ammo for ground forces, exploded at Gela, Sicily in 1943 after being hit during an air raid. Liberty Ship S.S. John Burke was carrying ammo when hit by an Kamikaze off Mindoro in Dec 1944, blowing up in a tremendous explosion.

The British lost SS Fort Stikine which caught fire while docked at Bombay, 1.400 tons of ammo exploded, causing over a thousand casualties and sinking or damaging 21 other ships in port.

There surely have been more. There are amazing pictures of the explosions on the net. I surely never want to witness something similar - except in AE.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 15
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/5/2014 2:28:05 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanch

A good piece of Halifax, NS got flattened in 1916 by an AE that exploded (wrong war, I know, but same idea).

That's the largest accidental explosion in history, IIRC.

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 16
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/5/2014 3:33:31 AM   
wdolson

The Sasinena explosion in Long Beach, CA in 1976 was a pretty big bang.

My family lived about 30 miles away and it shook the house quite strongly. The shock was as strong as the 1971 earthquake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Sansinena

Bill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 17
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/5/2014 6:05:37 AM   
wdolson

As I was doing my part to contribute to tomorrow's bad smog, it dawned on me the coincidence of this thread coming around on the American 4th of July. Washington State is pretty crazy with the fireworks. My SO is a pyromaniac and likes things that go boom. She claims she's still 17 in a lot of ways. Sometimes I believe her...

Bill

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 18
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/5/2014 12:49:26 PM   
czert2

Well, since port explosions did realy damage to its surrondings - it is here chance to add if ship explode in port it will damage his surondings too ? so far it is limited only to that ship.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 19
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/5/2014 3:55:26 PM   
pontiouspilot

US combat engineers managed to blow up the town of Dawson Ck, BC (Mile 0 Alaska Highway) while building that road. That must have been '42.

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 20
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/6/2014 4:17:31 AM   
Dili

Bombay, Tripoli foto here http://conlapelleappesaaunchiodo.blogspot.pt/2014/06/citta-di-bari.html

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 21
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/6/2014 1:51:40 PM   
tc464

quote:

ORIGINAL: czert2

Well, since port explosions did realy damage to its surrondings - it is here chance to add if ship explode in port it will damage his surondings too ? so far it is limited only to that ship.

I'm not a sailor or anything but I have worked on some former ordnance depots, and here is the way its been explained to me by some old timers...During WW2 convoys formed up as usual, but ships carrying ammunition were loaded elsewhere. For instance, cargo ships loaded in New York harbor, but bulk ammunition ships loaded at Raritan Arsenal, NJ and NWS Earle, NJ. This was done to minimize damage to New York harbor and was a result of several incidents in the area like the 1943 Bayonne fire, the Nixon Nitration Works blast in 1924, and the TA Gillespie plant blast in 1917 and 1919 (iirc).

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 22
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/6/2014 8:10:03 PM   
EHansen

This just came up in a PBEM game of mine:

Massive Explosion during unloading of xAP Macdhui at Torokina

She sank with all hands lost.

(in reply to tc464)
Post #: 23
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/6/2014 9:02:30 PM   
jmalter

the AE game-engine will sometimes throw you a KABOOM, these are extremely low-%age events. I recall a post about a boiler explosion onboard an LST, wildly inappropriate as LSTs were diesel-powered.

my own personal moan is when I hear a KABOOM during a combat-replay - it might be a friendly or enemy ship striking a mine, but often it's an IJN 4E flying-boat (presumably on a NavS mission), getting a lucky hit on one of my AOs.

IMO the occaisional random-damage inflicted in the game is far less than the historic record would warrant. Many USN ships were damaged by grounding & docking accidents, and more than a few disappeared during extremely heavy weather. To say nothing about the high attrition of pilots & airframes of airgroups engaged in 100% training.

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 24
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/6/2014 10:18:14 PM   
wdolson

The random events like air ops losses and ships damaged or lost in accidents is less than historical, but if it was historical players would be screaming about the losses.

I have a book on warship losses of WW II and I happened to pick it up last night. It lists every warship loss from the war in chronological order along with cause and location. There are many explanatory paragraphs about the surrounding situations in many cases. The first three French losses were due to accidents. The first was a cruiser that was unloading mines in Casablanca when one of them went off. A bunch of other ships were damaged as well as the dock facilities. By May 1940 two more destroyers were lost due to accidents in port. One was when a torpedo caught fire.

Bill

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 25
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/6/2014 10:21:05 PM   
obvert

I wonder if anyone ever thought maybe it was a poor choice to name a ship designed to be packed full of explosives after active volcanoes; AE Mt Hood, AE Vesuvius, AE Mt Shasta, ... etc.

When Mt Hood blew up a lot of ships nearby were obliterated as well. USS Mindanao here.

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 26
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/7/2014 6:25:10 AM   
Barb

I think that the names for ammunition ships were chosen for purpose - to remind crews they are literally sitting on "active volcanoes".

As to USS Mindanao - well, the problem of air ventilation and air conditioning is finally solved...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 27
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/7/2014 8:31:43 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

I think that the names for ammunition ships were chosen for purpose - to remind crews they are literally sitting on "active volcanoes".

As to USS Mindanao - well, the problem of air ventilation and air conditioning is finally solved...

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 28
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/7/2014 9:17:16 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Liberty Ship S.S. John Burke was carrying ammo when hit by an Kamikaze off Mindoro in Dec 1944, blowing up in a tremendous explosion.

First time i saw this i was sure that i am watching nuclear explosion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMs4IJQVRYM

< Message edited by koniu -- 7/7/2014 10:19:27 AM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 29
RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot - 7/7/2014 11:57:40 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Liberty Ship S.S. John Burke was carrying ammo when hit by an Kamikaze off Mindoro in Dec 1944, blowing up in a tremendous explosion.

First time i saw this i was sure that i am watching nuclear explosion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMs4IJQVRYM

That is horrible.

The narrator on the video is incredibly annoying. Doesn't know where to point his camera? Was he watching a different film clip?

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Ammo ship explosions - ot Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI