Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to be a refueling site

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How to be a refueling site Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to be a refueling site - 7/7/2014 5:22:16 AM   
Evrett

My star base dont seem to get the refueling point blue icon. What is required to be considered a refueling point? These are Star Bases at planets not Space Ports and they lack construction bays. Does that matter?

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
Post #: 1
RE: How to be a refueling site - 7/7/2014 7:38:26 AM   
Sindri

Hi, space port needs a docking bay to refuel ships and cargo storage with required fuel in it, like caslon or hydrogen.
Construction yards are used for building new ships and retrofitting existing ones :)

(in reply to Evrett)
Post #: 2
RE: How to be a refueling site - 7/7/2014 8:38:32 AM   
Keston

As described in another thread, calling something a space port tells your AI that it is a place where fuel should be collected for fueling, and Small < Medium <Large. Whether a Large SP is actually large or small and how much storage it has is a separate matter.

Gas mining stations also show up with fuel icons. Ships have also decided to refuel at research stations, but I don't know the mechanics.

(in reply to Sindri)
Post #: 3
RE: How to be a refueling site - 7/7/2014 11:08:58 AM   
Aeson

As Sindri said, your design needs to have cargo bays, docking bays, and fuel in the cargo bays. If it has these three things, it's a valid refueling point. If at least one of these is missing, it's not.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 4
RE: How to be a refueling site - 7/7/2014 9:51:34 PM   
Evrett

My star base have cargo bays, docking bays..I'm not sure if they have fuel but they have fuel tanks...Does it have to be a "space port" ? 'cause I'm talking about Star bases..I dont want construction bays on these bases because they end up building ships in annoying places. To repair do you need a construction bay? This stuff needs to be in the game literature.

Can you like that other thread Keston?

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 5
RE: How to be a refueling site - 7/7/2014 10:35:52 PM   
Airpower

If you're talking about a Star Base located at a planet, then in order for that Star Base to get Hydrogen or Caslon in its cargo storage, freighters will have to bring it there. I think that that will only happen if the Star Base has a Commerce Center. I think...

Alternatively, you can make a Star Base with 8000 cargo space, some docking bays, and 1-2 gas extractors (you need 40 extraction to max it). Place one of these on a world with only Hydrogen or only Caslon (as you need), and when built, it will fill its tanks up with the chosen gas and act as a refueling base. The 8000 cargo space will give you room for 32000 gas, which is 1000 over the hardcoded storage cap.

If you mine a 50% Hydrogen planet, the station will reach maximum cargo capacity for the chosen fuel in 10 game months. A 75% Hydrogen planet will fill to capacity in 6.7 months. Therefore it might be a good idea to build a couple of these things on the same planet, to speed up the overall rate you restock your fuel stores.

(in reply to Evrett)
Post #: 6
RE: How to be a refueling site - 7/8/2014 7:35:35 AM   
Sirian

@Evrett: fuel tanks are only used for the base itself, they are not used to store fuel for others. Fuel for others is stored in the cargo hold.

(in reply to Airpower)
Post #: 7
RE: How to be a refueling site - 7/8/2014 1:38:11 PM   
Lonck

AFAIK for the refueling icon to appear on the system star bases require the commerce center along with extractors. I placed a star base once with fuel converters on a star and the fuel icon appeared it had a commerce center.

(in reply to Sirian)
Post #: 8
RE: How to be a refueling site - 7/28/2014 3:26:44 PM   
Skyjack

Can one of the veterans give a definitive answer for this?

quote:

our design needs to have cargo bays, docking bays, and fuel in the cargo bays. If it has these three things, it's a valid refueling point. If at least one of these is missing, it's not.

The above seems true but then I read:

quote:

AFAIK for the refueling icon to appear on the system star bases require the commerce center along with extractors. I placed a star base once with fuel converters on a star and the fuel icon appeared it had a commerce center.

Thanks for any clarification.

(in reply to Lonck)
Post #: 9
RE: How to be a refueling site - 7/29/2014 6:52:46 AM   
feelotraveller

There is no need for a commerce centre for a place to act as a refueling site. Colonies without bases are prime examples of this. (I'm not sure about the case of starbases, it is possible that something peculiar goes on but...) The appearance of the refueling icon on the sector/galactic map is somewhat erratic, when it is there it indicates that A fuel is present for refueling (not even both ) but there can be fuel for refueling without the icon being present. It does not do anything other than draw a players attention to the site as a place to refuel.

Edit: I should add that if you want the AI (and that includes your own private sector ships) to be aware of a base as refueling site then as far as I can tell you do need to include a commerce centre.

< Message edited by feelotraveller -- 7/29/2014 8:05:02 AM >

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How to be a refueling site Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI