Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/7/2014 2:05:26 AM   
mensrea

Here is v.4 - the Eldar update. I have revamped the Eldar and made them a more powerful race. In addition, I have done a complete overhaul of the government system and will soon be doing a writeup on it for the OP. I have also made changes to the tech tree, giving the major races numerous unique techs and generally changing component and tech names to fit the lore.

I tried to throw in the scenario so far at the last minute but it apparently no longer works despite my best efforts. I will have to redesign it which isn't that big of a deal because I have now learned some important lessons and welcome a fresh start.

Anyway, here is the link for the update https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56152025/WH40k%20mod%20v.4.zip and keep in mind all links are attached to the OP. Here is the v.4 changelog:

EDIT:note: this version now contains an alpha of The Great Crusade scenario as of this edit. Load it as a saved game to play as the Imperium.

V.4 changelog

-complete rehaul of government system
-lots of techs and components renamed to fit the lore
-revamped Eldar and gave them unique dialog
-added new technologies for the Ork, Eldar and Imperials
-took some unique techs away from minor races
-added new components for some of the major races techs
-balanced resource distribution again
-all major races have racial victories, starting character attributes and events
-balanced some minor races
-polished off major race behaviors and started working on tech tree optimization
-improved artwork courtesy of Phocian
-expanded soundtrack courtesy of Phocian
-added racial victory for Imperium

< Message edited by mensrea -- 7/7/2014 5:16:06 AM >

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 61
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/7/2014 11:36:43 PM   
mensrea

ponasozis - I do like the idea of having certain sectors infested with pirates but I do want to make pirates a little more realistic. I may mess with some techs or add custom pirate only races to make sure that a band of criminals couldn't possibly challenge a real civilization on their home turf like they routinely do in vanilla. I think its possible and I'm going to look into it for the next update. I will also be adding Dark Eldar in as due to their level of stealth they likely operated since shortly after the birth of Slaanesh with no one knowing any better. I can try to add potentially dangerous areas around various parts of space but I can't guarantee that storms will be active or something so it won't be the same.

Sindri - I think the idea of having another WH40k mod actually set in 40,000 is a great idea. I am not familiar with Dark Heresy but if its this http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=50&esem=2
then it sounds bad ass. I'd be happy to collaborate with you on whatever your working on or provide whatever assistance you wish. Lots of people ask about the races they are familiar with like Tyranids, Necrons, Tau, etc and this mods time frame doesn't include them so you would definitely have interested players.

Everyone - For the next update I will be adding the Megarachnids and ideally revamping several minor races to be better hashed out. I also have some more ideas for renaming techs and components and will likely add more new, unique racial techs. I also want to work on the scenario more, ideally adding a craftworld for the Eldar and generally improving some things.

Keep in mind that your suggestions are actively guiding the development of the mod and the scenario, so feedback is vital. Since not everyone wants to make a forum account you can always reach me by email at mensreamc@gmail.com. I will add my contact info to the OP which is now updated to contain recent changes in the mod.

(in reply to Sindri)
Post #: 62
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/8/2014 5:41:42 AM   
SF-Inc

Out of curiosity, are the Ork's Heavy Gunz really supposed to be doing 200 damage every 2.8 seconds with a range of 400. Makes the other faction's weapons look a little sub-par at that point.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 63
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/8/2014 4:08:47 PM   
mensrea

Holy **** wow, that is totally not intentional. I meant to the firing speed to be 28 seconds not 2.8. Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem.

The Orks are very stunted research wise though so other than the threat of big gunz or boyz pawds they shouldn't be as dangerous as the Eldar or even a race that researches at a normal rate. But yeah, I will definitely fix that as soon as I'm home.

(in reply to SF-Inc)
Post #: 64
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/8/2014 4:12:03 PM   
SF-Inc

Now that sounds MUCH better

Actually I don't know if this is just my own stupidity but why is it when I load up the scenario it switches to Default Theme and messes up everything?

< Message edited by SF-Inc -- 7/8/2014 9:23:17 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 65
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/8/2014 8:28:32 PM   
mensrea

Ok guys, sorry about that bit with the heavy gunz. They now fire every 28 seconds instead of every 2.8 seconds. However, I did increase the firing rate of boyz pawds. I figure those aren't nearly as dangerous seeing as how shields sort of nullify them. Let me know if there are any further issues.

I also wanted to see if anyone wants me to release my resource and government changes as independent mods. Not everyone wants the whole package so I thought that might be relevant to your interests.

EDIT: SF-inc, make sure your loading the scenario as a save game because there are issues with loading it as a fresh map. First off no one will start where they should be and all relevant starting features that I set up will be reset. Secondly it will load it as the default theme unless you check off every regenerate box. Navigate to "C:\Users\'your computer name'\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.5" and put the "The Great Crusade" in there, then instead of starting a new game go to load game and load it up.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 7/8/2014 9:33:48 PM >

Post #: 66
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/8/2014 8:42:17 PM   
SF-Inc

Hmm tried all that (Never tried to just load the map because I am more interested in what you have prebuilt into the map) but it still keeps switching me to Default Theme and then loading it up fine with none of the changes from your theme.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 67
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/8/2014 8:45:42 PM   
Phocian

I would say its up to you Mensrea regarding the research and government changes.
Does it add to the atmosphere of your mod, if so keep it.

(in reply to SF-Inc)
Post #: 68
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/8/2014 9:41:14 PM   
mensrea

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. What I meant was that I could make a resource mod and a government mod containing just the resource and government changes I made for this mod. Those independent mods would be designed to work with vanilla. I definitely have no intention of removing my resource/government changes from the WH40k mod. I was just thinking that some people may want realistic resources or governments without the whole WH40k theme.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 7/8/2014 10:41:01 PM >

(in reply to Phocian)
Post #: 69
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/8/2014 10:09:59 PM   
Ardryn

The AI treats the nova cannon as a standard weapon and replaces whatever non-missile/torpedo weapon it was using with them and from what I understand the nova cannon is more like the death ray in DW than the standard beam weapons. I've also found the Orks never expand outside their home system after being an utter terror in 0.3, I think the main problem is their government type because in one of my games they found the Way of Darkness/Chaos government and conquered half of the galaxy before I met them.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 70
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/8/2014 11:20:58 PM   
mensrea

Ardryn - that's my fault and a huge oversight. I nerfed their research to the point that they cannot function in a normal game without an initial tech boost with the addition of them preferring the anarchy (little a) govt type. My problem was that I always started them at tech level 1 with warp bubbles in my games. My solution is to give them a custom tech that lets them access a slow but very efficient form of warp travel and make that tech both cheap and prioritized. I will do this now and update the mod shortly. Sorry and I hope I didn't **** up your game.

EDIT: Not sure what I could do about the Nova cannon thing to discourage that behavior other than increase the size a great deal, which I will do as well. If that doesn't work I have a few other tricks up my sleeve but lets wait and see.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 7/9/2014 12:22:33 AM >

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 71
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 12:17:55 AM   
Ardryn

The odd thing is that I was playing a completely standard "Classic Era" game, everyone started at normal tech and I set the Orks and Eldar, and myself as the Imperials, to the young expansion state. The Orks had hyperdrive tech, I made certain of this with the editor, they also had a massive fleet and were at war with a nearby minor race, which they were handily trouncing. I'm honestly at a bit of a loss as to exactly why the Orks are suffering, maybe the x3 corruption modifier of anarchy in addition to their starting massive ship size because of the reclamation tech is making them stall out for money?
And don't worry, I'm really liking the changes you've made and I like the 40k universe in general already, cramming it into DW is like smothering my favorite dessert with even more deliciousness.

Edit: Actually I just checked, the Orks didn't have colonization tech for some reason, well that explains quite a bit.

Minor typo in governments: Facist - Fascist

< Message edited by Ardryn -- 7/9/2014 1:37:33 AM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 72
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 3:47:31 AM   
mensrea

Well, what I intended to be a small fix wound up snowballing into what is practically a proper update. I made numerous fixes based off bug reports and also added some new stuff that I hope you guys enjoy. I especially aimed to fix the Orks which were broken due to my negligence with interpreting the effects of redesigning governments. I didn't yet fulfill what I said I would do for the full update so I'm making this a version.X.Y if you were wondering what the change in naming conventions was for. I need to start doing that for bug fixes and minor updates, anyway. Here is the changelog:

V.4.1 changelog

-added unique events/plagues
-improved artwork and plague symbols courtesy of Phocian
-fixed Orkish gunz tech, Imperial nova cannon and Eldar webway tech; balanced them better
-some techs balanced
-more techs and components renamed to fit lore
-gave the Orks resilience technology enabling default colonization of all worlds
-gave Orks easy access to slow but efficient warp drive tech via spacehulk reclamation
-made it so warp bubble tech never needs exploration but "gerax" needs more research to complete
-added new components for some of the major races techs
-gave Orks and Imperials research priorities for vital techs; improved Eldars list
-started work on names for races and finished Humans
-adjusted resource prices because economies were way too hot and many resources were overvalued
-fixed some minor typos

Linked here and in the OP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56152025/WH40k%20mod%20v.4.1.rar

< Message edited by mensrea -- 7/9/2014 4:55:55 AM >

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 73
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 12:19:03 PM   
Phocian

So in my new game (v4.1) I am at War with an foul Xenos Eldar Empire.
Suddenly they are struck by a plague, Nurgles Rot.
Laughing to myself I withdraw my fleets to watch their Empire suffer.
But then it spreads to a neighbouring Xenos Empire and then to another and yet another.

Looking to science to prepare our glorious Empire against this insidious threat all scientists are tasked in researching medical technology and so the Imperium pours in money and resources into this area.
But to no avail, Nurgles Rot spreads, via I can only imagine some vile rogue trader into Imperial Space to a small colony world.

The order for exterminatus is given but just before a fleet can arrive at the doomed world the disease spreads rapidly through the rest of the Imperium and still further into other Xenos Empires.

The problem appears at this time that once a planet is infected the disease appears to continue until the extermination of all sentient life.
The disease will continually spread back and forth from planet to planet, system to system.
The attached pic shows its spread across the galaxy so far, I shall allow the game to continue but the populations of every infected Empire are rapidly decreasing towards oblivion with no possibility of succor.

Maybe a little tweaking is required with these new plagues.

Best,

Phocian

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 74
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 4:02:22 PM   
scouseern

EDIT: SF-inc, make sure your loading the scenario as a save game because there are issues with loading it as a fresh map. First off no one will start where they should be and all relevant starting features that I set up will be reset. Secondly it will load it as the default theme unless you check off every regenerate box. Navigate to "C:\Users\'your computer name'\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.5" and put the "The Great Crusade" in there, then instead of starting a new game go to load game and load it up.

Have tried all this and still either get the default theme problem or when I do get it to work I don't get the galaxy in the right places.

Any help would be great, a step by step maybe?

As always massive respect to your work on this.

(in reply to Phocian)
Post #: 75
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 5:48:54 PM   
mensrea

Phocian -
It will be fixed. I'm not sure what went wrong but this is definitely not intended.

Scouseern - I use the same procedure to play the scenario myself but I will mess with some stuff when I get home to try and reproduce this error. Maybe try putting it the 1.9.5.3 folder instead and then load it as a save game.

And just to clarify, when I say load it as a saved game I mean at the main menu do not go to new game, go to load game and run it from there.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 7/9/2014 6:48:38 PM >

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 76
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 5:59:50 PM   
Phocian

Im having the same issue trying to get the scenario loaded. Doh!

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 77
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 6:21:33 PM   
mensrea

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56152025/WH40k%20mod%20v.4.2.rar

I tried to fix Nurgles rot without actually running the game as I cannot from where I am at. Give this a shot. Again, I don't understand why it was so bad as the figures looked to be in acceptable ranges.

I am also thinking that the reason the scenario is no longer working is because it was made with the last version of the mod. It looks like for every version I will have to remake the scenario...

(in reply to Phocian)
Post #: 78
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 6:30:57 PM   
scouseern

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, tried moving the file as suggested no go, think your right about having to remake for each new version.

Great work, keep it up

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 79
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 7:04:09 PM   
Sindri

Hi, in version 4.2 there is a typo in plagues.txt, Nurgles Rot line, there should be:
2, Nurgles Rot, 2, 0.5, 5, 70, 1, N, , 0, 0, 0, 0,
instead
2, Nurgles Rot, 2, 0.5, 5, 70, 0.1, N, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

As this accepts integer value only :)

< Message edited by Sindri -- 7/9/2014 8:03:54 PM >

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 80
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 7:53:03 PM   
mensrea

Damnit, this just isn't my day. It said in the plague.txt preface that it was a number between 0 and 10 and I just hoped 0.1 would work. I will post the fixed version around 6. Sorry guys.

(in reply to Sindri)
Post #: 81
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 8:06:42 PM   
Phocian

Don't worry about it mate, its not a job.
Continue to have fun and work on the mod as and when is good for you, we are all grateful for your efforts.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 82
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 8:15:46 PM   
Sindri

Agreed, we are here to help not to moan and if it's not your day then relax and do something else ;)

(in reply to Phocian)
Post #: 83
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 11:34:13 PM   
mensrea

Oh it's cool, I was just having some fun being a little melodramatic is all. In truth I enjoy the process and the challenge it can occasionally pose.

And I feel like an idiot about the map now. I just realized I was giving you guys an old copy...the folder that saves go in was changed and I didn't realize it. Saves are now in C:\Users\"your computer name"\Documents\my games\Distant Worlds Universe\SavedGames instead of "C:\Users\"your computer name"\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds". In fact, I'm not really sure what use the appdata one is anymore, but whatever.

Anyway, here is v.4.3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56152025/WH40k%20mod%20v.4.3.rar

I also packed in some new art by phocian.

Post #: 84
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/9/2014 11:36:07 PM   
SF-Inc

Thanks much mensrea!

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 85
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/10/2014 12:32:12 AM   
elvendeathknight

Sorry if I missed something obvious, but why don't you use a "maps" folder in your theme with the selected save game ?

(in reply to SF-Inc)
Post #: 86
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/10/2014 8:34:17 AM   
Imperius

For the scenario, I dont necessarily think it s the game version, but rather the name of the mod folder.

If you made the scenario with a mod folder called WH40v1, it wont work with a mod folder called WH40v2. So the key is making sure the mod folder is called the same, as far as I understand it at least.

(in reply to elvendeathknight)
Post #: 87
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/10/2014 12:02:21 PM   
scouseern

Got it to work.

Edited the .dwg file in notepad, deleted then added theme name make sure it was identical to theme folder name.

Added maps folder to theme and put a copy of the savegame in there too.

Didn't look any different after editing but loaded fine after. Got the correct Galaxy layout correct and the research tech tree.

Hope this helps, no idea why it wasn't working before.

(in reply to Imperius)
Post #: 88
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/10/2014 1:46:49 PM   
mensrea

Mike - I didn't even think of that. I messed with the feature last night and it is preferable by far to having people load the game as a save. It also lets people play the scenario as multiple races (I set it up to work with the Imperials, Orks, Eldar and Quietude). Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will upload it later tonight.

Imperius - The mod folder has always been WH40k. Only the zip files and changelogs have the version listed on it.

Scouseern - What did you get to work, the old scenario or the one I posted last night? The one I posted last night is a lot better, and the one I'm posting tonight will be my best work to date as it will be the first complete scenario (though the incorporation of the heresy storyline is sometime away as it requires many scripted events that first need characters).

All - I'm trying to think of more technologies/components to add or anything else I can change with the tech tree. Please give me your ideas/opinions/suggestions on this subject. If I'm not adding anything else to the tech tree then I will continue optimizing the AI, hashing out races, and I will start working on some characters. Finally, I will be adding the spider people and removing the Hrud from the list of playable races. They are too beastlike to be considered a proper race to me. Players may still encounter them as independents though, which seems like an interesting concept to me.

EDIT: I have not been seeing the gametext I changed since the most recent update. At first I thought it was something I did but I triple checked and it is a bug of sorts.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 7/10/2014 2:49:46 PM >

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 89
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/10/2014 4:30:21 PM   
scouseern

I used the 4.3 version I think, anyway it works!!

Only snag I have at the moment is at the beginning, I've tried it 4-5 times and always get a leader change and subsequent rebellions on both Terra and Mars.

It might just be me but will keep plugging away.

Great work on this. RESPECT.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI