Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it worth building up Ramree Island?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Is it worth building up Ramree Island? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/9/2014 5:26:48 PM   
pharmy

And put a special base force, an ACM, 150 mines and an SNLF to defend my flank mid-war or am I just helping out the Commonwealth? Or do they have enough engineers to build up Ramree in no time even without my lvl 1(0)port help?
Post #: 1
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/9/2014 5:30:47 PM   
EHansen

Just a question, did you put some fuel there for the ACM?

(in reply to pharmy)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/9/2014 5:53:35 PM   
pharmy

I haven't done it yet, but I definitely would. My current knowledge is the a dot base couldn't support an ACM because of fuel spoilage, so I would have to make it level one at least.

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/9/2014 6:05:32 PM   
Terminus

Depends on what your plan for the theatre is. Any dot base is "worth it" if it supports a good plan.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 7/9/2014 7:07:00 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to pharmy)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/9/2014 6:14:38 PM   
pharmy

I think I framed my question wrong. Should I try to build up Ramree to some degree to protect it from invasion or should I leave it as a dot base and if the Allies land there, have them go through the hardship of building it up?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/9/2014 6:28:37 PM   
AW1Steve

My feeling is "never build any base that can't hold a divisions worth of troops". Anything less and your opponent can drop a regiment or more on you , crush you , kill everything there and leave. Dot bases (or atoll that can hold 6k or less) shouldn't hold anything you'd care to lose. A dot base IS a great place to place tenders, PA aircraft, float planes and things that can easily evacuate if you see your opponent coming in force. What you really , really need to ask yourself is "is there anything worth dying for? If the answer is no , then leave it. Just my 2 cents.

(in reply to pharmy)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/10/2014 1:51:41 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

My feeling is "never build any base that can't hold a divisions worth of troops". Anything less and your opponent can drop a regiment or more on you , crush you , kill everything there and leave. Dot bases (or atoll that can hold 6k or less) shouldn't hold anything you'd care to lose. A dot base IS a great place to place tenders, PA aircraft, float planes and things that can easily evacuate if you see your opponent coming in force. What you really , really need to ask yourself is "is there anything worth dying for? If the answer is no , then leave it. Just my 2 cents.

Good advice, Steve.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/10/2014 2:10:31 AM   
Lokasenna

All this beating around the bush aside, I think it's probably worthwhile to defend at Ramree. If you build at least 1 level of port or AF, your forces will benefit. It probably won't affect his offensive plans any, but it does remove a small weak spot. And the likelihood that your troops will be cut off when the base falls is small. It's not like an island dot base where there is no retreat.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/10/2014 6:01:10 AM   
Yaab

I would dug in in the hex next to Ramree Island. The island is connected to the Burma mainland by just one hex (either E or NE of Ramree). If Allies take Ramree Island, develop it and dump 1,000,000 supply points, the supply will not filter to the mainland if you block the adjacent hex. Dug in an infantry division there early, and the unit should reach level 5 forts in +2 terrain.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 7/10/2014 7:00:58 AM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/10/2014 10:09:50 AM   
pharmy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I would dug in in the hex next to Ramree Island. The island is connected to the Burma mainland by just one hex (either E or NE of Ramree). If Allies take Ramree Island, develop it and dump 1,000,000 supply points, the supply will not filter to the mainland if you block the adjacent hex. Dug in an infantry division there early, and the unit should reach level 5 forts in +2 terrain.

Thanks, sound like an innovative way to defend against an amphib landing there. It connects on three hex sides (one green/one purple/one red). I'm assuming supply only flows decently in the green side. And the green is just one hex away from RR connected Prome. The only other reason I would use Ramree would be for ASW (lots deep ocean there, so seems like a good sub hunting spot for the Allies) and an AV in dot hex Ramree with FPs should be sufficient for that.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 10
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/10/2014 10:46:54 AM   
Itdepends

Unless something has changed- you can't build up a port at all in Ramree. Verrry annoying.

(in reply to pharmy)
Post #: 11
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/10/2014 11:17:42 AM   
ny59giants

The Port is 0(0) and can be built up to a 3 as I did so in my DBB 30 PBEM game. IMO, once I had it and the hex due east of it, supplies flowed into the Irrawaddy River area and supplied my huge army that was near Shwebo that was not getting any from the maxed out bases in India and northern Burma. It was then a quick march down to Prome and Toungoo when I had this supply hub working. An Allied player can afford any supply lose here.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 12
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/10/2014 11:21:53 AM   
pharmy

It just takes a lot longer : there were some calculations made before here : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2885601

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 13
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/10/2014 12:52:35 PM   
Itdepends

Well it got changed somewhere between me starting my first PBEM (still going, years ago) and now- because in my other game you can't build a port at Ramree, Trinkat or Great Nicobar. The ports are 0 (0) and there is no radio button for expanding the port size.

(in reply to pharmy)
Post #: 14
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/14/2014 5:10:04 AM   
CaptBeefheart

As a level 3 port with 200 nav support bristling with AA, that's a pretty good supply hub for the Allies. Not sure if it helps JFBs at all, though.

Itdepends: If a port is a 0(0) then it can be built to a three. It just takes a lot longer.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 15
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/14/2014 10:37:05 AM   
Itdepends

It's 0(0) but with no button available to increase the port size.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Itdepends -- 7/14/2014 11:37:36 AM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 16
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/14/2014 10:45:33 AM   
wdolson

What mod are you playing? In every scenario I've ever seen Ramtree Island was 0(0) with a build button including the official scenarios I have installed (the latest revisions).

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 17
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/14/2014 10:56:59 AM   
ny59giants

The base in his screen shot shows it as an Airfield and not a Base. Thus, it cannot have the 0(0) port built up. I ran into this with my PBEM playing the first version of DBB 30 with Pegu. I've seen Baker have the same characteristics. Some of the mods have an error in the Editor over a base being just an Airfield and not a Base.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 18
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/15/2014 6:40:10 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

If you have an Infantry Division available it would be better used elsewhere. I would put in a Battalion -Regiment equivalent and build up the forts.

As the Allies I'd leave it alone unless it was left empty, the time & effort in building the base or moving off the island does not make it an easy job.

But I'd threaten it to make the JFB nervous.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 19
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/15/2014 9:17:43 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

It's 0(0) but with no button available to increase the port size.

I vaguely recall reading something about this. IIRC it was made a 'non-port' hex (base) for game balance. Something about it being too easy to invade Burma through its location. Some mods may have it different. I play the latest 'official' mod. I'll chime back in later when I fire up the game to say what it is in that version.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 20
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/15/2014 10:55:09 PM   
EHansen

I'm playing scenario 1 as Allies and I built it to a level 3 port.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 21
RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island? - 7/16/2014 2:08:42 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: EHansen

I'm playing scenario 1 as Allies and I built it to a level 3 port.

Just checked in my game and its the same. I think maybe in reference to what I was discussing above the outcome was the one hex connection to the mainland onto a jungle rough (Jr) hex, or some other map adjustment. Anyway...

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Is it worth building up Ramree Island? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI