Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/11/2014 1:37:41 PM   
scouseern

Yep still happening, about 2-3 minutes into game I get the change leader event, this plunges both Mars and Terra into rebellion.

You CANNOT resist the rebellion as the revolting forces are in the region of 1600k vs your 23k lol

If this is just happening to me please let me know. Also any possible fixes would be great.

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 91
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/12/2014 1:59:03 AM   
SF-Inc

Is this just me or when bombing enemy planets with the Imperials Virus Bomb the enemy ends up gaining population instead of losing it when using a large fleet?

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 92
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/12/2014 11:19:45 PM   
mensrea

scouseern - I have an idea about why that is consistently happening and I will address it with tomorrows release.

SF-inc - I had not experienced that issue. Is it only when using a large fleet? I may have broken something by making a bombard weapon that strong. This game has a lot of undocumented limits. I imagine this error is sort of like rolling an old fashioned odometer back until it starts over at the highest number, if that analogy makes any sense. I will mess with it for tomorrow.

(in reply to SF-Inc)
Post #: 93
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/13/2014 10:28:20 AM   
scouseern

No problem mensrea, problem isn't the leader being replaced, I get the event and I end up with 2 leaders somehow. only when I used the Great Crusade save game. Know your doing your best.

Anyone know how you can add more than one defined character at the beginning of a game?

Used a character folder to define the Emperor as the Imperial starting leader, tried adding Malcador the Sigillite as a colony governor underneath the emperor line but kept getting errors on starting a new game. Just think this might be worth exploring for more immersion.

Anyway, really thankfull for this mod, makes it worth playing even more.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 94
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/13/2014 11:02:48 AM   
scouseern

Disregard the character thing, figured it out.

Gonna try to come up with some starting characters for the main factions consistent with the Great Crusade era. will let you know how I get on.

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 95
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/13/2014 11:07:19 AM   
Phocian

Hi Scouseern,

I have in my old mod the Emperor and the Primarchs added to spawn in order that they were discovered. I know Menrea is looking to add these at some point.
For a colony governor I just did a quick test.

'Colony Governors

0, Malcador, 3, Malcador.png, Human, 29, 11, 33, 8, 36, 9, 0, 0, 53, 56, 60

(This was a test and so the skills need to be set)

Make sure you have a character image i.e Malcador.png in your images/units/characters folder

< Message edited by Phocian -- 7/13/2014 12:07:51 PM >

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 96
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/13/2014 11:42:22 AM   
swizzlewizzle

Just a quick request... if at all possible, please add in a few more race starts to the great crusade map.. would be really cool to be able to play one of the other races. Also, hope you are able to add in a few of the other races (tyranids/necrons... :)).. perhaps have them come in after chaos does, similar to legends? :)

(in reply to Phocian)
Post #: 97
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/13/2014 3:41:57 PM   
scouseern

Sounds great Phocian.

Really like how this mod is progressing. Every Warhammer 40k fans dream to fight the great crusade and the Horus Heresy.

(in reply to swizzlewizzle)
Post #: 98
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/13/2014 7:37:41 PM   
mensrea

So I have been working on the scenario all week and I am now trying to fix the rebellion at game start thing. Apparently, there is a huge bug as if you add a new leader after moving an empire they are only partially acknowledged...So as soon as you start the game your people go berserk and another leader comes to power. So then you have 2 leaders and cannot dismiss either of them to fix it. In addition, in the character screen I can still transfer characters to a colony that no longer exists and finally I cannot transfer leaders to new colonies that I add. I truly hate the scenario editor right now and I'm afraid I may have to start all over.

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 99
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/14/2014 2:43:03 AM   
mensrea

The update is now ready. Thankfully, I figured out a way to make the scenario work, though for some reason every race has two leaders. I imagine this had something to do with me carrying the scenario over between two entirely different government systems. Whatever reason it seems to be okay now, so that's good. I didn't quite do as much as I wanted to though because as it turns out anytime I change the mod I pretty much have to rebuild the scenario. Given that I will no longer work on the scenario until I am completely finished with the mod (everything but the art, that is). So please consider this release to be the last in the series; after this I will be making major changes to the mod that will make everything that came before it incompatible.

I also made it so you can now play a custom game with the Shakturi storyline on and it effectively is a Horus Heresy scenario. I did notice that unless your gametext.txt file in your main folder is modded you still get the vanilla messages, which messes everything up. Due to this I added a gametext.txt in this update that will overwrite vanillas if you wish. Let the vanilla one get overwritten if you want custom mod text.

Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56152025/WH40k%20mod%20v.5.zip

V.5 changelog
-revamped the Quietude and Lacrymole
-gave every race without unique techs an optimized research path for energy and hightech
-mostly fixed issue with rebellions in scenario
-improved the scenario in general
-added 4 new playable races to the scenario and made it a map
-added the Dark Eldar and Orkish Freebooters as pirates to the scenario (not that bad)
-added appropriate characters for Imperium in scenario
-finally, enabled the Shakturi storyline mode
-fixed bugs and spelling errors

< Message edited by mensrea -- 7/14/2014 4:03:11 AM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 100
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/14/2014 7:54:48 AM   
scouseern

Many thanks Mensrea, great work as always.

-added the Dark Eldar and Orkish Freebooters as pirates to the scenario (not that bad)

Like the sound of more pirates!!

Found some ship images for Tau and Chaos ships if your interested, dont know if you have them all yet, cant remember seeing the Tau ones in the old mod.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 101
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/15/2014 5:21:44 PM   
mensrea

scouseen - I think I have some chaos ships but send me what you have in case you have some things I don't. I won't be adding the Tau (or the Necrons) though, as this mod does not take place in that timeline.

Everyone - I am hoping that the lack of error reports means the scenario is working. Can anyone give me their opinion on it? Is it difficult or easy?

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 102
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/15/2014 5:38:24 PM   
Phocian

I had a quick try of the scenario yesterday.

Didn't have time to play for long but I noticed as imperial your advisors keep suggesting to build a huge amount of ships before you could ever have the infrastructure to build them.
This makes things a little laborious to constantly reduce the amount to build.

Also maybe the tech rate could be slowed down, my ships spend must of their time being upgraded.

I personally like to slow the tech down so you get more fun out of designing ships and testing them out. Also when you get a new tech this adds a wow factor.
Last point maybe add armoured to to imperial at start ?

Best,
Phocian

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 103
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/15/2014 6:37:46 PM   
mensrea

Phocian - I always build my own ships and turn off advisor suggestions. Other than that I'm not sure if that issue is fixable; advisors have always seemed pretty brainless to me. I agree with the tech rate thing. It's kind of absurd when you have to keep upgrading your ships or else send your people into the stars riding on souped-up ataris. I will halve the research rate next time if there are no objections. Imperials should already have armored troops at the start as the Astartes program gives them access to it and then gives them 400% buffs to offense and defense.

On an interesting note, when I was testing things out to replicate the inescapable revolutions upon startup I noted that a handful of Astartes on Mars held off against a 1600k strong rebel militia force for quite a while. I think the Astartes are now as bad ass as they should be. I only wish that I could selectively alter the maintenance of different types of troops or make it so they are much more difficult to recruit.

Has any played as the Lacrymole or Quietude yet? I would consider a victory with one of those races in this scenario to be worthy of bragging rights.

Question: How can I make unique racial soundtracks? I want to give the Quietude the soundtrack from System Shock 2 and give the Lacrymole the Soviet anthem.

(in reply to Phocian)
Post #: 104
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/15/2014 7:27:59 PM   
Phocian

I dont think you can have unique soundtracks yet, it has been asked for.
Maybe add your troop ideas to the DW2 suggestion thread?
I asked a long time ago for the ability for armies to be locked like fleets so that you can keep the strongest troops together.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 105
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/16/2014 9:50:06 AM   
scouseern

Agree with the slowing of tech rates.

Agree with Astartes - Proper Badass

Playing an Imperial game at the moment, a little too easy at the moment, not run into a major power yet and ive colonised 15 planets, and have built a rather massive fleet. Also after one brief encounter with the Dark Eldar, not another pirate seen. Like to have more pirates if possible, maybe heretic humans? Personally i like to test out my combat designs against pirates.

Really like where this is going, on the Necrons, they've been around for longer than humanity, dormant. Maybe they could be an awakened race event?

Turned advisors off too.

Great work as always. anything i could do to help, PM me.

(in reply to Phocian)
Post #: 106
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/17/2014 2:55:29 PM   
swizzlewizzle

Necrons wouldn't be hard to add. There is a ship resource (that the imperial ship art was taken from for this mod) that already has most of the necron ships done up. Square them up, add some simple thruster lines and you are good to do. Same with the Chaos ship set.

Also, regarding the eldar... they have a great technology bonus (+50%), but their growth rate is so crappy, pretty much every other race blows past them in pretty much everything, including technology, once the game gets going. Perhaps double the bonus to 100% and increase their growth rate to be a *little* more in line with the rest of the races? Honestly the massive ship maintence decrease on imperials pretty much means you can just steamroll the galaxy regardless of technology already... take a look at the top level technology and mid level tech... effectiveness in combat is *maybe* 2-3x more effective... that doesn't even close to make up for all of these imperial ships costing only 10% maintenance cost (the only cost that really matters). I guess actually balancing the races doesn't matter too much, but bringing them a little closer would probably result in a bit more of an interesting game.

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 107
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/17/2014 6:31:09 PM   
scouseern

Agree with Swizzle, the Eldar need a little tweaking, also I prefer playing Imperial but it is too easy to build a massive fleet and simply absorb casualties.

Post #: 108
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/17/2014 8:30:09 PM   
mensrea

Eventually I want to add custom pirate only races. Dark Eldar would be one, Orkish Freebooters another. I imagine something like a lost and damned pirate race would be appropriate as well.

Agreed on the Eldar reproduction rate. It definitely needs reconsidered, though the only reason I set it that low initially is because lore wise they don't reproduce very fast at all. In general I hyperinflated reproduction rates across the board, though this was done to counteract the fact that I don't think tax rates should have as significant of an impact on reproduction as they do. I may have to reexamine that strategy.

I won't increase the Eldar research rate but I will be improving their unique laser tech drastically as they should have the best beam weapons hands down. In truth I thought them having webway portals (ships make their own fuel) very early on would give them a distinct edge, but the arguments about the Imperium are logical and valid, especially considering they can swamp the galaxy with virus bomb armed fleets and just wipe out every planet. I will cut down the Imperiums fleet maintenance reduction. I could also make the Eldars unique engine techs better and look more into their unique fighters.

What I really wish is for ships to have the ability to act as colonies that have fluctuating populations, GDP's, all that jazz. Until that comes along Eldar are going to be kind of awkwardly worked in to the whole thing, as craftworld Eldar and exodite Eldar are merged into one lumpy mess.

The main problem with Necrons is that they do not reproduce or build new Necrons. Further, there were simply not enough awakened tomb worlds in the Great Crusade era, as most were just coming online in M40-M41. It's not an issue of work or what not, just an issue of whether adding them makes sense or could be do-able. Finally, how do I quantify the ability to resurrect? I would honestly not feel comfortable adding them, but if someone else wants to make an addon or something I would gladly post its download to the OP.

(in reply to scouseern)
Post #: 109
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/18/2014 1:01:54 AM   
swizzlewizzle

For necrons you could just make a few events that randomly seed some necron homeworlds across a set of planets. Then perhaps some sort of awakening event. Sure, in the "real" history the necs weren't woken until 40k, but perhaps that's just due to luck? As far as I know, once some of the primary homeworlds start becoming awakened, the whole galaxy wide system begins to wake up.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 110
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/18/2014 10:35:41 PM   
mensrea

Well, I have almost completed hashing out all the bastard races, which include the new race, the Megarachnids. I have also significantly boosted the value of Eldar unique techs and plan to look at all unique techs in general. I have also re-balanced the main races to make them more equal (90% fleet maintenance reduction was kind of ridiculous). Since I am done with the bastard races I will start working on trader and tech races. In the end every race should have these things:

-Victory conditions
-Unique and varied attributes based on disposition (bastard, trader, tech)
-Policies
-Dialog
-Images for icons and troops (ships optional; I am no artist and I rather like vanilla ship art)
-Optimized research paths (I'm no Icemania but I will try my best)

In addition to hashing out all the races I also wanted to do the following:

-Re-balance wonders and add a lot more
-Add custom pirate only races (Dark Eldar, Freebooters, Lost and Damned, ????)
-Balance races, governments and techs more (needs feedback!)
-Expand the tech tree (lots of work, may be unnecessary)
-More custom character, agent, colony and ship names
-Set characters for major races (Orks, Eldar and Imperial)
-Custom or more likely optimized design templates

Finally, after all that is done I can work on the scenario in earnest. My last priority is the galactopedia, and I will probably just be copy pasting stuff from the lexicanum anyway. Next update should be ready by sunday.

Post #: 111
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/19/2014 9:10:48 AM   
swizzlewizzle

Mensrea, could you throw your work up on git as a dev trunk? I'm interested in doing some quick modifications to things such as warp speeds and overall balance testing. You could pull down my branch quite easily if you ever become interested in some of my changes, and it just seems like a good way to do things if you are interested from balance/tech/etc.. ideas from some of us.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 112
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/19/2014 9:16:06 PM   
mensrea

Swizzle - I have thought of a way to incorporate Necrons but it will not make them into a major race or anything and will be more of a cameo appearance. None the less, left to their own devices, they could pose a significant threat given their technical prowess alone. I will not make a github, I have used it frequently in the past and I really found it to be cumbersome to be worrying about commits and working things out on there as I work much better alone. I would encourage you to use whatever you need from this mod if you want to work on various things. If at some point you wish to post it I would gladly endorse it or even post it to this mods OP if you don't feel like managing a thread. If you add a bunch of stuff or something I would gladly incorporate it, especially tech tree wise.

I would of course prefer if people brought up balance ideas with me because the mods development is naturally biased according to what I initially think works, which isn't always what actually works. For instance I am now reconsidering the huge speed increases I gave to sub-light engines. If you have a lot of issues or don't feel like making an account, etc, you could always e-mail me or talk to me on steam.

On a separate note I am considering reducing hyperdrive speeds by a third under this justification: the startup.ini file lets players make hyperdrive speeds up to 3 times faster. This change would accommodate a wide range of players, some who want much slower speeds. I would include a startup.ini that makes the hyperdrives their normal speeds and then those wishing for them to be slower could make it so in five seconds of text editing.

I also wanted to share something that I thought of last night: legacies. Basically, legacies will be extremely cheap level 0 techs available to wide ranges of races and meant to further establish them as unique. So far I have the following:

-Genetic Modification Legacy (immediate access to cloning)
-Traders Legacy (huge boost to commerce center bonus)
-Warriors Legacy (huge boost to troop maintenance reduction, immediate access to special forces)
-Defenders legacy (access to unique, affordable planetary shields and immediate access to buffed planetary defense units)
-Robotics legacy (immediate access to robotic troops, access to unique damage control components)
-Cybernetic Legacy (access to unique tracking components, better command center component maintenance reductions)
-Psyker Legacy (immediate access to very good long range sensors)
-Science Legacy (immediate access to science academies and buffed science modules)

Some races will have multiple legacies and usually these races will be the minor ones. I am hoping this will make the minor races a bit more interesting and competitive.

Post #: 113
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/20/2014 12:08:09 AM   
swizzlewizzle

Sounds like a great idea. Buffed science modules don't really do anything except give you slightly lower-costing research capacity though, correct? I've never, ever had problems keeping up with maxing out my science throughput.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 114
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/20/2014 12:18:05 AM   
mensrea

I've reconsidered adding science legacy, it has little value as the science academy is available immediately anyway, and its as you said regarding the modules, the benefits are marginal.

I did decide to add a spacefaring legacy though, as many races in the great crusade were described as having "pocket empires" maintained through the exploitation of faster than light travel that didn't rely on warp navigation. I have decided to reduce/eliminate my thruster buffs. However, the spacefaring races will have access to unique thruster/warp techs that give them a distinct edge in that regard.

Overall I have now made some significant changes to the tech tree and added some new facilities and many new components, including a fuel scoop, something I have wanted for a long time. This is looking like one of the biggest updates yet and I am hoping to finish the legacy system. I wouldn't mind adding a Chaos legacy but have no idea what to make of it. Any ideas on that or legacies in general? This is the opportune time to provide input on that and balancing changes before I release the update.

Post #: 115
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/20/2014 4:08:43 AM   
swizzlewizzle

Chaos legacy maybe something to do with the chaos uprising "virus"? Alternatively, perhaps to differentiate chaos you could significantly buff the pound for pound power of their ships (usually daemon infested, extremely hard to "replace" (they can't just build new ones) chaos gifts, etc...) but increase the build cost/time/maintenance? Perhaps have the imperium as the extremely spammy, tough ship empire with slow tech speed (they are a backwards religious cult after all) and Chaos as the super-premium tough ship empire with expensive, slow building, high maintenance ships? Maybe some technologies related to the warp and "corrupting" planets even?

As for the orks, with their extreme growth rate, they would fit into the tons of tough, crappy ships and crap tons of troops mold.. eldar would have their ultra-high tech + mega massive ship niche.. though their pop growth is so low it's hard for them to really even get out of a 1 vs 5/10/etc.. engagement.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 116
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/20/2014 4:12:42 AM   
swizzlewizzle

Oh and here is a zip of some chaos ships I put together. I didn't bother to draw in the thrust vectors, but it might save you ~20 minutes or so haha.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 117
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/21/2014 3:34:12 AM   
mensrea

Swizzle - The Imperium in this mods time frame still has the living Emperor, who is strongly opposed to religion and superstition (once said "Humanity will not be free until the last stone from the last church is cast down upon the last preist"). Under the Imperial Truth, the ruling doctrine, religion and superstition are punishable by death. It is not until long after the Emperor is interred in the Golden Throne that the Imperial Creed replaces the Imperial Truth and the Imperium becomes the insane religious cult that we all know from typical 40k lore.

You have to admit there is a supreme irony in the Emperor being worshiped as a god, as it stands against everything he believed in and fought for.

Anyway, the .6 update is ready. This is a big update and contains many changes. Consult the changelog below and please report any problems here or to mensreamc@gmail.com. Heres the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56152025/WH40k%20mod%20v.6.zip

v.6 changelog
-introduced legacy system. cheap level 0 techs meant to give races more unique attributes. so far we have resilience, genetic modification legacy, traders legacy, warriors legacy, defenders legacy, robotics legacy, spacefaring legacy, cybernetic legacy and psyker legacy
-added new buildings and components for the legacy system
-reduced thruster buffs to bring thrusters more in line with vanillas
-made thrusters more unique
-added missile base component, very heavy missile launcher with great range and damage. very expensive and large, meant for bases
-added warp field destablizer component, very heavy ultra long range jump disruption device. very expensive and large, meant for bases
-added fuel scoops. cheap components meant to help ships generate a small amount of fuel
-significant race re-balancing. orks have highest breeding rate, followed by insects, then reptilians, then humans, then eldar, then mammalians
-added two new buildings, armored cities and administrative bunkers
-added Megarachnid race. images courtesy of Phocian
-set Hrud to unplayable
-many techs re-balanced
-reduced Imperium ship maintenance reduction, increased intelligence
-increased Eldar reproduction rate, intelligence and caution
-increased Orkish fleet maintenance reduction, reduced troop maintenance reduction
-changed race families, eliminated "Simian" in favor of "Mammalian" and gave Orks and Eldar their own race categories
-finished Laer and Scythian races
-fixed some issues with the Heresy mode
-improved Eldar fighters and lasers
-renamed many components and techs to fit with lore
-improved custom gametext

< Message edited by mensrea -- 7/21/2014 4:37:49 AM >

Post #: 118
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/21/2014 11:20:58 AM   
swizzlewizzle

Looks pretty cool. :)

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 119
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 7/21/2014 12:41:52 PM   
swizzlewizzle

By the way, where did you find a single config value to change warp speeds across the board? I thought you had to tweak the research and components separately?

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI