Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Play by Email Tips and Tricks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Play by Email Tips and Tricks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Play by Email Tips and Tricks - 7/19/2014 12:14:58 PM   
WIF_Killzone

Just started a head to head game with someone I commute with. Plan is to play on the train however looks like he will be purchasing the game, and if so would lime to know some tips on partially playing by email as well.

So...I understand how to save a game, attach and send by email, but when in the sequence of play is it safe to do so. In other words, is there actions to stay away from when both players are generally needed to make decisions.

It would be great if you could share what works and doesn't for you, tips to use, stay away from.

Post #: 1
RE: Play by Email Tips and Tricks - 7/19/2014 12:23:22 PM   
AlbertN

Me and my buddy use Skype for voice comm - that required to be online at the same time. Skype also allows to share screens which allows one to see what the other is doing.

This is a requirement (I do not think PBEM works for this game) because the game has the "digressions" or anyway calls for the non phasing player decisions such as interceptions, if to use HQ support / emergency supply, etc etc ... therefore as the other can see the screen can verbally issue commands for its interceptors, etc etc through the turn of the other.
Usually at the end of the turn the save is passed over to the other person unless the turn perspects rather quiet or a string of passes (Early in the war allies do not always want to operate, if so the Axis player operates the Allied turn too in accord to the verbally provided instructions via Skype).

Until now we've made it to May / June '41 in our game starting from '39. Alas we're beginning to experience now an increasing wait time as we move things and the production planning is taking minutes to switch from a nation to the next (and that has to be gone through twice per turn, planning and final.)

(in reply to WIF_Killzone)
Post #: 2
RE: Play by Email Tips and Tricks - 7/23/2014 11:20:05 PM   
WIF_Killzone

Thanks Cohen, more responses please. What phases to stay away from when PBEM vs head to head?

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 3
RE: Play by Email Tips and Tricks - 7/24/2014 1:42:29 PM   
gw15

Cohen - can you elaborate on using Skype with sharing screens? Can the "inactive" player see what the "active" player is doing?

(in reply to WIF_Killzone)
Post #: 4
RE: Play by Email Tips and Tricks - 7/24/2014 4:14:54 PM   
AlbertN

By "Sharing Screen" I mean an option Skype has - assuming the net connection is decent enough between the two - that allows an end of the call (let us thus say the non phasing player) to see the screen of the other end (the active player).

It can lag out a bit, and at times it freezes (depends a lot on the connection.) but all you have to do is shut the call and start it over to get it flowing.
Thus, my opponent can see my moves, and situations at hand. Yes, he litterally sees my screen as I see it (Which also means if I tab out of MWiF to let's say go visit some webpage or check a mail, he'd see that as he sees my screen and not just MWiF).

Also, verbally one can explain what they're doing. "I am moving to attack Warsaw, bringing in 2 bombers to give ground support.", he asks "Hmm, what's the Air-to-Air factor of these bombers?" etc.

Phases to not do in PBEM? A lot of them, usually anything which may include a non phasing player interaction (HQ support / Emergency supply; aerial or naval interception, etc.)

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Play by Email Tips and Tricks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI