Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I`m upset...or "not amused"..;)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I`m upset...or "not amused"..;) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I`m upset...or "not amused"..;) - 3/22/2001 7:10:00 AM   
K_Tiger

I played tonight a GC as Germans. Mission was assault the russians...first figth. I swear by god...3 different snipers assaulting two tanks and a 222sdkfz...and destroyed all 3. Is it my bad karma??....I helped last week a old women to go over the street...seems i did my part..so what? I will see there names..must be..Stalone..Schwarzenegger..and..Steiner... what the hell goes on..and with what they made an assault??..with a schweizer pocketknife??? All other troops..throw with grenades and rfgrenades..and sometimes they hit..but without inflict serious damage. I spent some hours for this battle..and then...i was so angry..and leaving the game. The autosave will not work in GC... And please...if its possible to remove the exit button...to somewhere else...may onto the top?? or the end round...to another place? Another thing...on the same battle.. I hade a experienced enginear squad in a building..(did not move them)....give order to shoot at the poor "farmer" rifle squad of the expected untrained..russians. Riffel (in the open)shoot..18 % hit chance..nothing...mg 28 %...nothing. The russ answering with riffles 4 %-one kill...mg may the same %..one kill...if i tryed this...i will lost my squad. I played this before on the other side..as russian...what could i say..unexperienced..they did hit nothing...and retreating after a mouse runs true her leggs. Hmmm..now as a german commander...i need plenty of arty to force them to retreat...and they shoot like "wilhelm tell"...if we compared the tanks..my Tauchpanzer III...against T-34...the better optics and accurater..gun goes on my side..my crews hade exp. over 90...may the russians learned a lot in Finnland...!!?? Oh i have another story...i killed with a single stukka....unbelivable..13 units...all around the same attacking hex...and where prebombarded..from arty..nice or? And why riffle squads shoot with riffles at my tanks over a distance from more than 8 hexes?? is it possible to adjust it in the game?? the same do the snipers...Did the AI not know...what he could hurt and what not?? Promotion...read some stats here...but as i started my first GC...after the first battle a recon unit was promoted...and he did nothing...i leave it in the upper rigth corner...and he did not see any ennemy. I like it ;)...but the hard figthed guys on the front..get nothing..oh yeah..i forgot the warm handshake... :) If its also possible to change the promotion system..like Tankkills..and Infkills? If a squad kills a tank..must be higher promoted...as a tank who killed a single sniper..."hey bruno..i killed yesterday a sniper with my 88"..."oh..well nice...and i found some flowers for my girl". Well, the most r allready posted here..but i was "on typing". My next post includes more "smilis".. Comments r welcome...

Post #: 1
- 3/22/2001 7:17:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I'd say you had a bad day on the Battlefront, K Tiger! ;) Much of what you have brought up here I promise you is being addressed in version 5. I think you will like the changes. But war is unfair and unpredictable. No one would have ever looked at Micheal Wittmann or Audie Murphy and said, Now there is a real hero...a real killer. But they were. I like for things to have expected results. It does not always happen. That is reality. I would also love to live a day without a disaster, bordering from a broken waterglass to a tornado hitting the house. But the unexpected is part of life. Maybe too much in SPWAW but that will be improved. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 2
- 3/22/2001 7:27:00 AM   
Figmo

quote:

Originally posted by K_Tiger: .......Is it my bad karma??....I helped last week a old women to go over the street...seems i did my part..so what? ...
I think that is the problem - as you were "dragging" her across the road - you should have realized she didn't want to cross!! :D Actually, I've never had ALL those things happen to me - are you using the default settings in the game. If you have made adjustments and want to get back to default - just delete the STEEL.PRF file out of the SAVE folder before starting the game. Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 3
- 3/22/2001 8:19:00 AM   
murx

I must agree to K_Tiger ... I had a single Greek Terrorist, er Partisan, using two Molotovs at two SdKfz 233 consecutivly (both moving at top speed) with 50% destroying them. Seemed like that bugger wasn't terrorized by the fact the rest of his FULL platoon was dead. It always *feels* like the AI has a bit more luck then the human player (I guess it's a machine conspiracy and soon SkyNet will take over the whole world). murx

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 4
- 3/22/2001 9:45:00 AM   
K_Tiger

Ooh...now comes ligth in my brain... The assaults happend allways wen the unit (Tank..and others) r on the move... Mean..somthing must be rewritten...did not hear any story about an close assault on a tank..wile is on the run.. (may the only unit that could be do this..is a American Cowboy..or?? yeehaa..)..hehe IMHO...please change this in the Beta5..and remove the snipers completly..no one need it...and its a pure tankstopper...I hate it to waste my time..two rounds to kill one with a tank...or a battalion of engeneer

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 5
- 3/22/2001 10:17:00 AM   
Tom_Davie

K_Tiger; with respect, the utterly unexpected sometimes happens in wargames. I was once playing a boardgame of Squad Leader against a buddy. The effects of defensive fire against infantry are applied to all of the infantry that have moved through a single hex. Well, my long departed friend (he died in '87) tracked with his highly mathematical eye that ALL of my units had moved though one hex. Yes, my entire battalion (some 50 odd squads). He had a heavy machinegun open up with a 9-1 leader (and applied the -2 modifier for moving in the open). He rolled a 2. I stared at the dice for 5 minutes. I lost the game on the first move, first firefight. Needless to say, I bought the beer that night. Well, the moral of my story is thta the unexpected usually happens, and the highly unusual sometimes happens. And I will never say that the impossible can not happen in warfare. I really do not want SP:W@W to become more predictable. It needs just a little tweaking around the edges. And quite frankly, I have a hard time believing just how far it has come. regards Tom

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 6
- 3/22/2001 10:27:00 AM   
Figmo

quote:

Originally posted by Tom_Davie: ...Well, my long departed friend (he died in '87) tracked with his highly mathematical eye that ALL of my units had moved though one hex. Yes, my entire battalion (some 50 odd squads). He had a heavy machinegun open up with a 9-1 leader (and applied the -2 modifier for moving in the open). He rolled a 2. I stared at the dice for 5 minutes..... Tom
WOW - That happened to me once too in SL. It was a scenario where the Germans were attacking the Polish I think - there was this one road hex I moved everybody through - it was even at long range from a hill - I was in shock too!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 7
- 3/22/2001 2:10:00 PM   
Tom_Davie

Yes, it was a Polish scenario, and it was called Breakthrough at "something', where the 'something' was Belevko, Bekeruz or similar, and it was from a hilltop. The ONLY Polish controlled hex with a clear los to that hex. It was one of the first scenrios in 'Cross of Iron'. Tom

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 8
- 3/22/2001 2:26:00 PM   
Maximus

I tried to tell everyone, it is the Superhuman syndrome from Enemy At The Gates. From now on, all Russian snipers are superhuman :eek: Skynet knows :eek: and now all SPWAW players will pay :mad: They just won't listen :(

"Protection from what Tommy....Ze Germans?"

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 9
- 3/22/2001 8:09:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

I don't think we should remove the snipers compleatly ..maybe just move them to year '49 status so secnario guys can use them and so the AI doesn't abuse them

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 10
- 3/22/2001 8:46:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by K_Tiger: I swear by god...3 different snipers assaulting two tanks and a 222sdkfz...and destroyed all 3. what the hell goes on..and with what they made an assault??..with a schweizer pocketknife???
They used improvised tactics. Found a grenade laying around. Jammed a log into the tracks then tossed the grenade in when the crew opened up to see what was happening. Seriously this has been addressed before. In real life this kind of thing happens and people get medals for doing it.
quote:

Riffel (in the open)shoot..18 % hit chance..nothing...mg 28 %...nothing. The russ answering with riffles 4 %-one kill...mg may the same %..one kill...if i tryed this...i will lost my squad.
Remember that's 4% PER PERSON in the Soviet squad so the real chance is 52% or something like that for the entire squad.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 11
- 3/22/2001 9:38:00 PM   
Charles2222

OTOH, his troops were firing at 18% and 28% per person (probably the 28% was just one man firing if I understand LMGs rules correctly). No one incident can exemplify what's really going on. I've seen more than my share of 2-5% infantry shots scoring hits, while my troops were firing at much higher rates getting nothing, but as far as I can recollect, my troops were the inferior ones (such as US vs. Japan) overall, when they were the ones shotting high and not hitting, while the experienced trrops hit with practically no percentage. One thing I think a lot of us fail to consider when looking at this type of situation, is the type of HE effect the weapons being fired have. If the Soviets are routinely besting the German engineer (which I haven't seen) is it because the HE effect of the Soviet weapon in question is better than the German ones, therefore making up a great deal for the deficit in experience/accuracy? I think sometimes we tend to think that all rifles are alike. I will say, however, that I've fought a number of times with the Soviet rifles, and for whatever reasons they don't do very well, so I sure wouldn't expect them to be very good at scoring when they have very low percentages.

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 12
- 3/22/2001 11:00:00 PM   
DoubleDeuce

I had a similar experience along the initial post except this was while I was DMing a game of "Dungeon's and Dragons". I know this is a SPWAW Formum but please bear with me. In one game the entire party was ambushed and even though I gave them ample opportunity to extract them selevs they could not. Needless to say that after months of building these characters careers and amassing wealth they were subsequently slaughtered in a matter of minutes by very inferior opponents. After the last player was killed we all just kind of sat there dumbfounded and thinking to ourselves "Ooops, this is not good" and is "Murphy's Law the only Law?" Then one of the players sits up, looks at me and says "If I roll a '00' it was all a dream and never happened". I looked at him and said "OK you guys haven't made one good roll yet or your characters would still be alive". Knock yourself out". He rolled a '00'. It never happened! This just goes to show that any time you are dealing with "random" events (be it with dice or computer generated) there will come a time when you ask yourself "What the He**". Beware the lone soldier backed into a corner and faced with a seemingly impossible situation. He has nothing to lose and he might just surprise you. As long as it is the exception and not the rule I am all for it!

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 13
- 3/22/2001 11:00:00 PM   
Warhorse

The y key is to not rush hell-bent-for-leather through terrain not scouted thoroughly!! I have stopped my old mad advances, and using cautious advance tactics, can ususally spot a sniper, or other small team with accompanying infantry, and put them out of their misery!! I have only lost tanks to infantry lately, when I get a brain-fart, and rush into hexes without checking first, other than that, never!!! Snipers are easy to kill IMO, just gotta spot them first. Crews OTOH, are a real pain, if you happen to be next to them, with no points to get away, they can assault and wipe you out also, just be more cautious, is all I can say, from one who learned it the hard way!! :D

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 14
- 3/22/2001 11:15:00 PM   
JediMessiah

for the most part the game is pretty fair, with just enough unpredictability to simulate the luck and ingeniouity of war and the common soldier. Crews on the other hand may need a lil tweaking (they seem to be better outside of their tanks at times :) ) but snipers are still pretty weak. I use them (much to my own disdain sometimes) and find that they rarely assault armor. The times they do, its a nice addition to the game (perhaps the sniper found an oppurtunity i.e found a grenade or AT weapon as was mentioned earlier) All in all, the game is fantastic, realistic enough (for a game) to be interesting, but with enough leeway and variance in outcomes to recreate improvisation and luck on the battlefield. -JediMessiah

"Karate means never having to say you're sorry"
-E. Andrew Kovich

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 15
- 3/22/2001 11:38:00 PM   
heintz28

I was on the sending end of a situation like the one above. My engineer squad had been wiped out except for one lone man hiding in the jungle... after several turns he rallied and was on the move. He stumbled upon a japanese tank. "What the heck...lets assault it", he said. KABBOOOM!! he did a Rambo with his flamethrower. I was so pleased :cool: Sorry, I had to give a replay. Thanks for your indulgence. :( lost the game horribly after that though

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 16
- 3/23/2001 1:50:00 AM   
Rhodan

quote:

I swear by god...3 different snipers assaulting two tanks and a 222sdkfz...and destroyed all 3.
Tanks vs close infantry assault..this is an argument that has been raging between tankers and infantry world wide and being ex- airmobile infantry I can tell you that, from our point of view, a tank is as strong as the track it is running on, you would be suprised what can kind of damage can be done to a tank that moves through infantry territory, e.g. bush, cities, etc. Even improvised weapons may help out to bring a tank to a stand still...and an immobilized tank=a coffin..not unlike a keyhanger, a brilliant invention to lose all of your keys at the same time.
quote:

And please...if its possible to remove the exit button...to somewhere else...may onto the top?? or the end round...to another place?
Can't agree more, the times I clicked on that exit button while thinking it was the 'end of turn' button with a sleepy head..ugh.
quote:

And why riffle squads shoot with riffles at my tanks over a distance from more than 8 hexes?? is it possible to adjust it in the game?? the same do the snipers...Did the AI not know...what he could hurt and what not??
that is something that baffleds me as well, for the time being I am just assuming they hope to score a lucky hit..uhm..in the barrel of the main gun..uhm..making the shell that was just loaded explode in it's chamber? :) The only serious reason I can think of is for them to shoot to force the commander to go 'under armor'. ( although they happily keep on shooting on those that long ago closed that hatch above them)
quote:

Promotion...read some stats here...but as i started my first GC...after the first battle a recon unit was promoted...and he did nothing...i leave it in the upper rigth corner...and he did not see any ennemy. I like it ;)...but the hard figthed guys on the front..get nothing..oh yeah..i forgot the warm handshake... :)
Now THAT looks realistic to me *insert a sarcastic smile here* Rear echelon always seem to get promoted first :D In general though I apply a lot of 'role play' to the whole thing and make up a reason why things went wrong ( like that Sherman III that had a shot down on a bordering Beob with a hit chance of 99% and STILL misses..I assumed the gunner had a hic up...( I would have LOVED to be able to drag him out of that Sherman and execute him on the spot though :( )) Rho

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/VCFIREFLY.txt[/img]

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 17
- 3/23/2001 9:42:00 AM   
Pack Rat

quote:

Originally posted by K_Tiger: (may the only unit that could be do this..is a American Cowboy..or?? yeehaa..)..hehe
The American cowboy and others from that locale and time frame had/have a lot of help with publicity. :) I think there are other places and times that were wilder. For instance the boarder between Scotland and England. Talk about rustling cattle and general mayham as a way of life, that's an understatement. Add some real political intrigue and I think you had an area that went far beyond anything the "Wild West" ever offered. What a game that would make. "Steel Bonnets" was the name of the book I read on this area.

PR

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 18
- 3/23/2001 10:50:00 AM   
USMCGrunt

quote:

Originally posted by Pack Rat: The American cowboy and others from that locale and time frame had/have a lot of help with publicity. :) I think there are other places and times that were wilder. For instance the boarder between Scotland and England. Talk about rustling cattle and general mayham as a way of life, that's an understatement. Add some real political intrigue and I think you had an area that went far beyond anything the "Wild West" ever offered. What a game that would make. "Steel Bonnets" was the name of the book I read on this area.
Ahhhh yes... The lovely practice of my Celtic ancesters to go out and (as my grandmother would say) "nickit ah coo' beastie" (steal a cow).

USMCGrunt Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll! -Rudyard Kipling-

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 19
- 3/23/2001 8:59:00 PM   
BA Evans

quote:

Originally posted by Rhodan: that is something that baffleds me as well, for the time being I am just assuming they hope to score a lucky hit..uhm..in the barrel of the main gun..uhm..making the shell that was just loaded explode in it's chamber? :) The only serious reason I can think of is for them to shoot to force the commander to go 'under armor'. ( although they happily keep on shooting on those that long ago closed that hatch above them) Rho
There are a couple of reasons to shoot at a tank with infantry rifles. 1. You can force the tank to 'button up', which reduces its ability to spot troopers. 2. Whenever you shoot at something, they gain suppression. Every little bit of suppression helps. The more suppression they have the worse they shoot and the harder it is for them to make experience checks. 3. After being shot at, units lose movement points and they lose shots due to battlefield friction. I always take shots at enemy tanks to reduce their effectiveness. When the computer sends 150 - 200 Polish tanks at me, if I can take away even 1 shot from every tank, I have severely reduced the number of incoming rounds. BA Evans

(in reply to K_Tiger)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I`m upset...or "not amused"..;) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI