Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ghost town......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> Ghost town...... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ghost town...... - 2/14/2003 9:10:30 AM   
Attack Condor

I don't mind posting this because the IJN has been sending recon birds over PM and Wau so much I think they're satellites in low earth orbit....

[I]***EXTRA! EXTRA! New Guinea abandoned! Allies balk at move initiated by rogue American admiral!!***

It's all yours. PM, Wau, Lea Lea... enjoy your vacation hideaway :) I'm sure the waiting list to get your troops to the fun and sun in Efate is long, so here is another freebie :) Take your time. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the SW Pacific as it laps gently along the sides of your transports on their way to a FREE base on the restful south shore of New Guinea :D. Heck, son...c'mon to Cooktown as well if you get the chance :)

You might as well. It's the last piece of real estate you will get.[/I]

Why the generosity? Cairns, Townsville, Rockhampton and Brissy now have a full division with HQ and full base support *each* in them. Each has a fort value of 9...Cooktown and PM have been stripped clean and lay like carcasses in the sun...troops, supplies, fuel - although there's probably some old cigarette butts lying around the beaches. (Would "scorched ocean" be appropiate here?)

Come now, my friend...everyone will want to see your AAR with the full fury of the IJN steamrolling into PM and claiming another glorius victory for Empire....(it's free!)

:D

Operation Blue Light Special proceeding as planned.......

"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 31
- 2/14/2003 9:30:37 AM   
Grotius

Condor-san,

You would have been amused to see my jaw drop about three or four days ago, as I finally realized what was happening. At first I thought my noble reconnaisance pilots were forgetting to wear their goggles. Then I attributed it to fog of war. But then my bombing raids encountered no flak or CAP, and I started to realize I was bombing an empty base. My own base. Or soon-to-be base. I finally woke up and stopped bombing just one day ago, around 24 May 1942.

Now I understand the "surprise" that awaited me in New Guinea. Very clever, Condor-san.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 32
- 2/14/2003 9:58:19 AM   
Attack Condor

Esteemed opponent,

I thought you might have caught on since the raids stopped :) I wanted to post this long ago, but the operation's security was a very real necessity.

By the way, the idea came to me as a result of one of your own posts...about my first B17 raid from PM when ...

[QUOTE]Fortunately, Condor hit only a cardboard cut-out disguised as a minelayer, but next time he might get lucky.[/QUOTE]

After that it was simply a matter of converting the 3000 capacity APs into FTs and sending everything that could float or fly men, materials and gas out of there. Seemed like it took forever to accomplish - esp the INF and base force units.....

A quick check of the ground unit reinforcement schedule showed another full infantry division (AUS 3rd INF) on the way. I was concerned whether or not the recon would spot my Australian infantry forces road marching from Brissy to T'ville and R'hampton - but apparently they didn't (or can't? someone with experience in the game can possibly answer?)

Plenty of LBA, full strength divisions and maximum fortifications, with a supply line shorter than the express checkout at a supermarket... I don't envy an attack force sailing south.

And as to the Solomons.....

well, I can't give [I]everything[/I] away now, can I?

"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 33
- 2/14/2003 10:11:23 AM   
Grotius

Heh, so when I was trying to bomb all those transports in Port Moresby, I thought they were bringing troops and supply *in.* Apparently they were doing the opposite. Of course, my bombers decided not to fly anyway. It rained, and they all went to play Yugi-Oh or something in the Officers' Club.

This will be a very interesting war, Condor-san.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 34
- 2/14/2003 10:32:13 AM   
denisonh

This will be interesting.

I am not sure about the IJN taking Australia, but I think the Allies trying to retake NG will be a real *bitch*.

Are you sure it is "attack condor" and not "retreating chicken"......

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 35
- 2/14/2003 10:58:51 AM   
bilbow

Hey guys, with this strategy just play scenario 15 next time. Save a lot of time and effort.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 36
- 2/14/2003 11:05:09 AM   
Philwd

Grotius-san,
This is your counterpart from an alternate universe. A USN admiral named Attack Condor there has also commenced a full scale retreat from PNG. However he has lost almost 10 transports doing so. Mutsu caught 4 this turn. I see only 3 AA units left. I realized he was pulling out a long time ago when the inf in Wau disappeared. I've been trying to catch his AP ever since. Darn IJN sub doctrine. I would've sunk 5-6 more AP if they would only fire.
So how do we make him pay for such an insult to Japanese arms?

Quark-san

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 37
- 2/14/2003 11:16:09 AM   
Grotius

Honorable Quark-san,

<< I realized he was pulling out a long time ago when the inf in Wau disappeared. I've been trying to catch his AP ever since. >>

Well, you caught on quicker than me. I was reconning PM every day, but I just refused to believe the intelligence! "Strange, no ground units showing up on recon," I kept saying to myself. "Must be REALLY bad FOW." I had thought his "surprise" would be a move north toward Salamau/Lae.

As for transports, they did appear at PM for a couple of days -- in thunderstorms. My bombers didn't fly, and they escaped. Also, I think he used some Fast Transport TFs. Early on, I pasted some of his supply transports with Betties from Rabaul, and that may have persuaded him to make greater use of FTs.

<< Darn IJN sub doctrine. I would've sunk 5-6 more AP if they would only fire. >>

LoL. I negotiated sub doctrine off.

<< So how do we make him pay for such an insult to Japanese arms? >>

Let's meet at Watson's Bay in Sydney Harbour to discuss the matter, over sake and sushi. Or we could convene at my soon-to-be-purchased vacation house in Brisbane.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 38
- 2/14/2003 11:18:40 AM   
denisonh

Gig-em Grotius, God hates a coward:D

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 39
- 2/14/2003 11:29:11 AM   
Philwd

Grotius-san,
>>LoL. I negotiated sub doctrine off. <<

I did also. I also negotiated 120% IJN. In my sleep deprived haze called vacation what I actually clicked was sub doctrine on and 120% USN.

I didn't notice for ~20 turns when my subs wouldn't attack. AC offered to restart but since it was my mistake I'm plowing ahead. That 120% USN will probably kill me.

Quark-san

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 40
- 2/14/2003 11:44:58 AM   
Attack Condor

hmm.. the jury is no longer "out"....

[QUOTE]Are you sure it is "attack condor" and not "retreating chicken"......[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]Hey guys, with this strategy just play scenario 15 next time. Save a lot of time and effort.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]So how do we make him pay for such an insult to Japanese arms?[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]Gig-em Grotius, God hates a coward[/QUOTE]

A rather bloodthirsty mob, aren't they? :)

A bad day at UV beats a great day at work!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 41
- 2/14/2003 12:01:41 PM   
denisonh

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Attack Condor
[B]hmm.. the jury is no longer "out"....

A rather bloodthirsty mob, aren't they? :)

A bad day at UV beats a great day at work! [/B][/QUOTE]

Prove me wrong and beat Grotius after "giving away the store".

You do that, and I guess I would have to apologize and kiss your "virtual" a$$.:D

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 42
- 2/14/2003 12:27:13 PM   
Grotius

Well, denisonh, I think one can make a reasonable case that Condor is better off now than he would have been had he tried to hold PM. Lae and Woodlark are both operating full tilt, I hold Gili Gili and Buna, and my troops are advancing on Wau. So I'd have had plenty of LBA air cover for an invasion, and my CVs were (and are) ready to rock too.

If I'd landed enough troops to take PM -- and I would have -- he would've lost several regiments (because I've taken all his retreat hexes), and I lose little. Of course, he might have sunk some troop-laden transports, but he'll have an arguably better chance to do that when I invade Brisbane.

I can't say I'm unhappy about taking PM in May, but I can say it's going to be a long war, and time is on his side.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 43
- 2/14/2003 12:36:44 PM   
denisonh

I might like a chance at playing you in PBEM as the USN Grotius.

In the 6 PBEM games I am playing, I hold PM. In one (through Jul42) I have lost GG in a a bloody see saw battle (it has changed sides 3 times). In all others, I have held GG (Though not without a cost).

It is a *bitch* to hold against a determined opponent, and in reality, GG cannot be held under those circumstances.

But the operational cost can be made to be so high as to seriously slow the IJN advance and keep PM, assuming the USN does not lose it's carriers early.

I refuse to write of PM. As McCarthur said, fight the battle for Australia in New Guinea.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 44
- 2/14/2003 1:03:36 PM   
Grotius

I would enjoy taking you on at some point, denisonh. Right now I've got 4 PBEMs going, and I can barely keep up with these as it is, but maybe some time later. How do you handle 6?

For what it's worth, I'm playing the USN in scenario 19 against SoulBlazer; just updated the AAR, in fact. We've both got 200% commitment, so it should involve lotsa carnage.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 45
- 2/14/2003 1:10:47 PM   
denisonh

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grotius
[B]I would enjoy taking you on at some point, denisonh. Right now I've got 4 PBEMs going, and I can barely keep up with these as it is, but maybe some time later. How do you handle 6?

For what it's worth, I'm playing the USN in scenario 19 against SoulBlazer; just updated the AAR, in fact. We've both got 200% commitment, so it should involve lotsa carnage. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmmm. WIll have read that AAR. A little too bloody for my tastes, but I am sure it is interesting reading;) .

And as a note, multiple PBEMs are easier when you play the USN and use the same plan.:)

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 46
- 2/14/2003 9:22:12 PM   
Grotius

<< multiple PBEMs are easier when you play the USN and use the same plan. >>

I've noticed that so far it's much easier to plot turns as the USN than as the IJN. In the early game, at least, there seem to fewer decisions for the USN to make. That probably switches around later; we shall see.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 47
Virtual valentines - 2/15/2003 1:51:06 AM   
Attack Condor

originally posted by denisoh.....
[QUOTE]You do that, and I guess I would have to apologize and kiss your "virtual" a$$.[/QUOTE]

While I do appreciate the offer of a lip smack if I were somehow be able to defy logic and actually win the game, it isn't why I'm here :)

Some people may not agree with my strategy, and that's cool - some people may agree with it and that's cool. I just post my thoughts here because I enjoy interacting with people who enjoy wargaming as much as I do. For those of you who have asked me, I've taken very little to heart since the breakup of the Ray Coniff singers (does that date me?). So enjoy the game, the banter, and the fun :)

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 48
Re: Virtual valentines - 2/15/2003 9:10:29 AM   
denisonh

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Attack Condor
[B]originally posted by denisoh.....

While I do appreciate the offer of a lip smack if I were somehow be able to defy logic and actually win the game, it isn't why I'm here :)

Some people may not agree with my strategy, and that's cool - some people may agree with it and that's cool. I just post my thoughts here because I enjoy interacting with people who enjoy wargaming as much as I do. For those of you who have asked me, I've taken very little to heart since the breakup of the Ray Coniff singers (does that date me?). So enjoy the game, the banter, and the fun :) [/B][/QUOTE]

That's cool.:)

I enjoy reading the AARs and kibitzing....

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 49
The Rising Sun over Port Moresby! - 2/16/2003 1:01:19 AM   
Grotius

On 26 May 1942, shortly after midnight, the first troops of the Eighth Army jumped ashore at Port Moresby, where they encountered no enemy resistance. The infantry scoured the town looking for any sign of the enemy, but all they found were cigarette butts and empty beer cans. The Rising Sun flies over Port Moresby!

Unfortunately, Imperial bombers have spent the past two weeks bombing Moresby back into the stone age. As recently as a few days ago, Bettys were preparing to take off from Rabaul to bomb Port Moresby, when they received an urgent command to belay their bombing orders. Even then they refused to stop: an enemy squadron of Airacobras suddenly rebased at PM, and my pilots were determined to keep the base closed to capture those planes.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/14/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Air attack on Port Moresby , at 10,40

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 12

Allied aircraft [None. Did I think about this? No.]

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty x 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 4

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 10

Attacking Level Bombers:
12 x G4M1 Betty at 3000 feet

-------------------------------------------
Air attack on Buna , at 12,38

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 10

no losses

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/15/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/16/42

Weather: Thunderstorms [Surely the weather will improve in Brisbane?]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/17/42

Weather: Overcast

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 12

no losses

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 1
[Still no CAP. Recon shows no ground forces or planes at the base. I dismiss this as fog of war, but some of my officers insist the enemy is withdrawing. I scoff at them.]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/18/42

Air attack on Port Moresby , at 10,40 [Have I no brain?]

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 20
G4M1 Betty x 13

no losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 10 [sigh. NOW my bombers become accurate.]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/19/42

Ground combat at Woodlark Island

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 639 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Woodlark Island base !!!

------------------------------

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/20/42

By now I strongly suspect he's withdrawing from PM, but I'm worried he'll change his mind, so I continue to suppress the airbase. Soon to be MY airbase. Sigh.

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 19

no losses

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 3

Attacking Level Bombers:
19 x G4M1 Betty at 7000 feet

------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Tulagi

Attacking force 39 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tulagi base !!!

----------------------------------------

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/21/42

Weather: Clear

Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 22
G3M Nell x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell x 6 damaged

Allied Ships
AP Manoora
AP Manunda, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage [snip]
[I thought these ships were bringing stuff *in.* No; they were taking stuff *out.* Happy to have a couple of hits either way.]
---------------------------

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/22/42

I now ordered a halt to bombing of PM -- except that two squadrons of Allied planes suddenly appeared at his airbase there, making my officers wonder whether this was all a ruse. Some of my air squadron leaders decided they might as well try to keep the base closed, catch a few aircraft when my troops land -- as they are scheduled to do in three days.

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 13

no losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 11

Attacking Level Bombers:
8 x G3M Nell at 7000 feet
5 x G3M Nell at 7000 feet

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/23/42

By now it is clear he is abandoning PM, but he's still got some Airacobras stranded there, so I bomb in order to keep them from flying off before my troops arrive tomorrow.

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 15

no losses

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 8

Attacking Level Bombers:
15 x G4M1 Betty at 7000 feet

---------------------------------------------
Air attack on Gili Gili , at 17,42

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 9

no losses

Port hits 1

Attacking Level Bombers:
6 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet

------------------------------------

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/24/42

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/25/42

Weather: Rain

Will this rain ever stop? It makes me miss springtime in Tokyo. Wishing they had parasols, my troops splash ashore at PM at midnight.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/26/42

Ground combat at Port Moresby

Attacking force 1830 troops, 51 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles :eek:

Japanese assault odds: 16 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Port Moresby base !!! :D

------------------------

In the end, we caught only 4 Airacobras on the ground in Port Moresby, and now we have to fill in our own bomb-craters. Still, our troops triumphantly raised the flag of the Rising Sun over Port Moresby. Then they went looking for umbrellas. :)

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 50
hmmmm... - 2/16/2003 10:30:20 AM   
Terp

The strategy of abandoning Port Moresby will be determined in the future months as to weather is was wise or foolish.....

we shall see....

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 51
- 2/16/2003 11:11:36 AM   
Attack Condor

[I]All hail the conquerors of PM! The mighty forces of the Empire astound the world as they easily overwhelm the cigarette butts and sand crabs defending the jewel of New Guinea.......[/I]

Operation Blue Light terminated successfully. Public opinion continues to becry what must surely be a suicidal stroke on the part of this rogue admiral.

[I] ...repeat...shackle...lima quebec...initiate.... unshackle....repeat...[/I]

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 52
one down, seventeen to go.. - 2/17/2003 10:04:31 AM   
Attack Condor

The end of the first month. My opponent claims all of NZ. I claim a mostly intact navy with reinforcements clogging the shipping lanes from Pearl. I am sure the IJN is growing stronger as well, as to date, there have been only 4 confirmed sinkings [I]total[/I] (3 USN and one IJN). My first month's objectives -twofold - have both been met: (1) maintain the CV TF and (2) transfer the New Guinea land forces to Cairns. I now have 4 bases in Australia with almost 5000 combat troops [I]each[/I] and many more second line support troops. Keeping them supplied and rested is going to be immeasurably easier than my opponent's efforts to do the same at PM (even [I]after[/I] he fills in his own bomb craters :D).

In the Solomons, Luganville's construction and fortification continues, and the message from Kunia is being acted on.

Preparations for the commencement of operation Pacific Wind begin.

(I'll leave the CR posting to Grotius...he does a better job at it than I do :) )

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 53
- 2/18/2003 8:54:15 AM   
Grotius

<< My opponent claims all of NZ. >>

The Empire thanks you for ceding New Zealand to us. What will they be serving when we arrive at Wellington? Champagne or caviar?

The past ten days have seen several tons of Allied bombs fall on New Guinea. As they duck all the bombs, I suppose the residents of Port Moresby now understand who their true friends are! There is also increased activity, on the part of both sides, in the eastern half of the theater.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/27/42

Naval bombardment of Lunga [by the evil USN], at 38,40

Port supply hits 2

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/28/42

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 12

no losses

Attacking Level Bombers:
12 x Hudson at 20000 feet

--------------------------------------------------

Allied aircraft
F-5A Lightning x 4
B-17E Fortress x 8

no losses

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet [snip]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/29/42

Sub attack at 11,61

Japanese Ships
SS I-28

Allied Ships
PG Warrego, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage [later sank, as I recall]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/30/42

Air attack on Cairns , at 7,56

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty x 4 damaged

Port hits 1

Attacking Level Bombers:
20 x G4M1 Betty at 6000 feet

Ground combat at Wau

Attacking force 1122 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 12 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Wau base !!!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/31/42

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 15
F-5A Lightning x 5
B-17E Fortress x 17

no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 73

Airbase hits 7
Runway hits 23 [Fortunately, they all fell in the same crater]

Attacking Level Bombers:
9 x Hudson at 15000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 10000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet [snip]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/01/42

The first clear day in a month, and the only day without any action. Go figure.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 54
Zzzzzzzz..... - 2/18/2003 9:19:15 AM   
Attack Condor

Enjoy New Zeland - you earned it :)

Yes, the [I]Warrego[/I] is the 4th USN ship to be sunk in this campaign. Frankly, I am somewhat taken aback that the IJN actually authorized an attack on a *warship*. Be careful honorable enemy, or your *New Bushido* code of invading defenseless ports and brave attacks by your submarines on deadly cargo ships will be in jeopardy. What would your ancestors think? :eek:

Meanwhile, in the east.....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/02/42

Air attack on TF, near Russell Islands at 35,39

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 6
F4F-4 Wildcat x 16
SBD Dauntless x 45

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Aki Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Koei Maru
AP Shinano Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Arizona Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Yuzuki, Bomb hits 1, on fire

***get those transports outta my way!!***
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 41,44

Japanese Ships
SS I-21

Allied Ships
DD Sims
DD Russell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Russell Islands

Attacking force 39 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Russell Islands base !!!

doing the math.... 4 APs to transport 40 men. Does each man get his own [I]deck[/I] in the IJN? (I'm assuming one of the forty Samurai sacrificed himself honourably while in valiant battle against the sea birds ~ perhaps a haiku in his honor?)

:D

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 55
- 2/18/2003 9:33:46 AM   
Grotius

Yes, Condor-san, our Imperial troops travel in the finest luxury, while you Americans are packed in like [I]Toro[/I] -- er, how do you say in English, "fatty tuna." Surely you would be more comfortable back on your yachts in San Diego and Miami? Well, Miami, anyway; we have our own plans for San Diego.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 56
thoughts...... - 2/19/2003 1:15:26 AM   
Attack Condor

[I]from the personal log of LCDR O'Neill, Commander, USN Destroyer Swanson, en route to Noumea[/I]

Our orders were posted today for the crew. The ship is on a port starboard rotation, and our next turn in the zigzag is in 5 minutes...

on a personal note...I look forward to remaining in Noumea and playing a part in the upcoming struggle, but the word is that we will simply be dispatched back to Pearl to escort the next force.....

[I] forward torpedo room, USS Sturgeon [/I]

...I'm telling ya Hansen, there ain't a thing wrong with these detonators....
...Look meathead, I'm just saying that I overheard the Chief talking with the skipper about new torpedoes soon, that's all....let's go eat already!

[I] Ensign Lane, Bombing 3, onboard USN Aircraft Carrier Lexington [/I]

...who the hell cares where their fighters were?? We got in and smoked those Japs....I could [I]see[/I] their soldiers jumping off of the transport for crissake!! It was beautiful......

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 57
- 3/1/2003 9:19:01 AM   
Attack Condor

[I][B]dtg 1422Z
To:
USNS Swanson
USNS Wilkes
Msg follows:
1. Complete underwater detection modification as specified in technical bulletin 41-10.
2. Execute ASW oplan bravo five.
Msg ends[/B]

from the personal log of LCDR O'Neill, Commander, USN Destroyer Swanson:[/I]

At sea, modifications complete. Civilians briefed crew about modifications - sonar gang seems happier. Some disappointment about not being assigned to the Enterprise TF - but crew excited as we now "hunt the hunters". Oplan bravo five - we will have air search support and respond to sighting reports. The ship is 100% operational, the chiefs drill the men incessantly on depth charge setting and reloads. We are as ready as we can be.... but the fear I have overlooked something still lurks within..

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 58
- 3/5/2003 6:25:42 AM   
Grotius

Over the past ten days, Condor-san has bombed New Tokyo (uh, excuse me, Port Moresby), while I have sought to consolidate my hold on New Guinea and to strengthen my supply network in the Solomons. In the east, most conflict has been of the submarine variety. My carriers also got in a little target practice. Hai!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/03/42

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 4

no losses

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x Hudson at 10000 feet

--------------------------------------

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 9

no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 53

Runway hits 22
[snip]

Sub attack at 34,37

Japanese Ships
AP Shinano Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-42

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/04/42

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 6

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson x 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 8

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 2
[snip]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/05/42

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 7

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson x 1 damaged

Attacking Level Bombers:
7 x Hudson at 10000 feet

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 15

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress x 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 10

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 6
[snip]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/06/42

Weather: Clear [Why is it that we never fight on clear days?]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/07/42

Sub attack near Munda at 31,37

Japanese Ships
AP Brazil Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
SS S-42

------------------------------------

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 12

no losses

Runway hits 1

[snip]
--------------------------------------
Sub attack near Munda at 31,37

Japanese Ships
AP Aki Maru, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-42

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/08/42

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 14

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson x 1 damaged
[snip]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/09/42

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 15

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 8

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson x 4 destroyed [Mwuhahaha!]
Hudson x 3 damaged

PO2 I.Nishiura of F1/Tainan Daitai is credited with kill number 2

Runway hits 1
[snip]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/10/42

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 3

no losses

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 3
[snip]
------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 44,47

Japanese Ships
SS I-27

Allied Ships
DM Tracy

--------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Irau at 42,43

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 32
D3A Val x 20
B5N Kate x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate x 2 damaged

Allied Ships
DM Tracy, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage [sunk] [Hai!]
[Condor says this minelayer was supposed to arrive at night. The Americans apparently have not invented clock technology yet.]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/11/42

Sub attack at 10,61

Japanese Ships
SS I-28

Allied Ships
SC 519, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage [Sunk] [Hai!]
[snip]

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/12/42

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 8
F-5A Lightning x 4
B-17E Fortress x 14

no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 201

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 23
[snip]

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 59
Revenge of the Hudsons - 3/5/2003 9:13:24 AM   
Attack Condor

On 9 Jun 42, the ill-fated flight of the Hudsons ran into 15 of Grotius' best high school seniors, and they tore the lumbering bombers apart.

On 12 Jun 42, the Hudsons returned, this time with the company of B17s. If you'll examine the combat report for 12 Jun 42, one has to wonder where the pride of New Toyko high school #12 is? Perhaps my esteemed opponent's "fighter elite" had to stay inside and study for a test that day? Or perhaps they are indeed wise beyond their years...attacking escorted bombers is a risky proposition (especially when the escorts are more bombers :D)

Find another home for the "heroes of the schoolyard". PM will be closing soon.

(After all, New Guinea needs something to rebuild with all the post-war aid we're gonna have to send :) )

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> Ghost town...... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI