Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Things that need balancing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> RE: Things that need balancing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Things that need balancing - 7/29/2014 6:26:37 AM   
feelotraveller

For me that is part of the flavour. Starting out with the Gizureans as next door neighbours is a totally different scenario than starting out next to the Shandar. That means I will have a very different (early to mid) game even if my race and all other settings are exactly the same.

(in reply to Sirian)
Post #: 31
RE: Things that need balancing - 7/29/2014 11:57:48 AM   
Nanaki

I agree with him though, seeing the same 2 races (Quameno and Gizureans) becoming dominant in game after game after game is boring.

I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 32
RE: Things that need balancing - 7/29/2014 2:43:17 PM   
Efaferal

try selecting race victory conditions only. you might find the win percentages even out a bit better. Part of the challenge of a good strategy game is working within an asymmetry. Sure the Giz can occupy a ton of planets and conquer everyone, but can they do it before your atuuk can breed themselves to victory? Or be for the Securans the F**k their way to a 'tourist' income win?

(in reply to Nanaki)
Post #: 33
RE: Things that need balancing - 7/29/2014 2:56:43 PM   
Blackstork

Guys better don't complain but help to modders to see pinpoint really harsh imbalances if you see them. I for example working on long project which aims to rework characters completely and by this tweak the balance. I asked few times on observations ideas from community but people prefer to complain here thn to gather and provide own observations. Also this game should have balance, but it should be assymetric one.. Strict balance will be harmful here, races above all should have unique approach and gameplay., own challenge provided. Speaking of challenge-there always should be one.

(in reply to Efaferal)
Post #: 34
RE: Things that need balancing - 7/30/2014 7:41:49 AM   
Kilravock

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

For me that is part of the flavour. Starting out with the Gizureans as next door neighbours is a totally different scenario than starting out next to the Shandar. That means I will have a very different (early to mid) game even if my race and all other settings are exactly the same.

Oh yeah, the difference in how the game turns out is night and day. I like to play as human and when I start near the bugs, my early to mid game is like Starship Troopers with the bug wars. If I start near peaceful races that like humans then it's peaceful building for the early game.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 35
RE: Things that need balancing - 7/30/2014 10:53:28 AM   
Nanaki

I already made a mod that, IMO, fixed the worst imbalances. It works fairly well. Quameno and Gizureans are still powerful but at least now you get a half dozen major powers instead of only two or three.

I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> RE: Things that need balancing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI