Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lower Speed And Range Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Lower Speed And Range Mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lower Speed And Range Mod - 6/10/2014 10:35:41 PM   
lurchi

I tested and came to the conclusion, that only modding the starting hyperdrives is not doing the trick, so I present you:

Lower Speed And Range V2

All Hyperdrives are modded so they are slower and have less range. I also enhanced the differences between the drive systems so they are more unique. The goal is to slow the game down, reduce exploration and colonisation speed and generally make the galaxy feel more vast to create longer and more epic gameplay.

----------------------

You're welcome to integrate this mod into other mod packs, just credit me if you release your mod to the public.

Just download the attached LowerSpeedAndRangeV2.zip

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lurchi -- 7/30/2014 7:58:18 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Slower gamestart - 6/10/2014 11:58:49 PM   
Unforeseen

Lol i think my game is already going to be slow enough as it is. Max research expense on prewarp settings with colony ship construction at 2O% of original. I'm also considering dropping regular ship construction down to simulate realistic construction speeds but this will make the game a bit hard for the AI to manage...so idk...it'd take months to build one ship.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 2
RE: Slower gamestart - 6/11/2014 6:25:06 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: lurchi

Hi!

I've been lurking here for quite some time and thought it's finally time to register. So here I am and here you go.

The goal of this mod is a slower start of the game due to a slower hyper drive system with less range. The easy way to reduce range would be to reduce fuel, but firing weapons would then empty the fuel cells way too fast. I concentrated on only the starting hyper drives. It may be a bit less effective and elegant, but it gets the job done without evil side effects. As benefit this mod is very simple and easy to integrate into other mod packs. You're welcome to do so, just credit me if you release your mod to the public.

I did the following:
Gerax Drive is now 20% slower, has 30% less range and is 50% more expensive. Improved Gerax is 20% slower, the price doubled. Warp Bubble is 50% faster and has 50% more range to compensate a bit.

The game starts slower, especially at pre warp setting, since the Warp Bubble drive is way longer in use. Gerax doesn't open up the complete galaxy right away without nerfing the pirates too much. Pirates at the beginning of a pre warp setting still are way superior, but they might not find as many relics due to the reduced range.

I created a standalone theme as well as a patch for Haree78's great Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 mod. The included readme describes the installation and explains how to easily integrate Slower Gamestart into other mods.

Have fun!

http : //wikisend . com/download/409432/Slower Gamestart V1.zip

Interesting. Have you checked out the energy rebalance mod? http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3616645

I like your changes but wouldn't things speed up super fast again after Gerax?

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 3
RE: Slower gamestart - 6/11/2014 4:33:17 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Lol i think my game is already going to be slow enough as it is. Max research expense on prewarp settings with colony ship construction at 2O% of original. I'm also considering dropping regular ship construction down to simulate realistic construction speeds but this will make the game a bit hard for the AI to manage...so idk...it'd take months to build one ship.

You'd be crippling the AI, it'd take ages to build up a freighter fleet. What you do is unbalanced as is, especially if there are ancient ships to be found. With low numbers of regular ships some of those relics could steamroll the whole galaxy.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 4
RE: Slower gamestart - 6/11/2014 4:46:44 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Interesting. Have you checked out the energy rebalance mod? *link removed tue to forum limitations*

I like your changes but wouldn't things speed up super fast again after Gerax?

I know it exists but have not tried it yet. For now I want to only make small changes.

Yes, the game will speed up later - but it will take way longer to reach this point. I think it's ok to have fast drives with long range in midgame. Warfare would be tiring without them, trade would trickle...

Starting with fast drives right away is what bothered me. This mod should seriously slow you down, probably until you met an alien race or two.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 5
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/18/2014 4:20:24 PM   
lurchi

I tested and came to the conclusion, that only modding the starting hyperdrives is not doing the trick. I redid the mod from the get-go, now all hyperdrives are slower and have less range so give it a try. It feels like a brand new way bigger universe.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 6
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/18/2014 4:33:30 PM   
DeadlyShoe

Cool, but the link isn't clickable. You could attach it to a post fyi.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 7
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/18/2014 4:37:10 PM   
lurchi

Yeah, I know it's not clickable. I still can't post links. Well, just a few more days...

Just copy the link into the address bar of your browser.

(in reply to DeadlyShoe)
Post #: 8
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/18/2014 6:40:48 PM   
Fishers of Men

I always believed this idea was the right way to go for game immersion. This makes the galaxy more immense and requires more strategy to plan an operation of great distances. Thanks for your work and I hope you continue to develop this.

Old............but very fast

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 9
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/18/2014 8:32:46 PM   
lurchi

Well, it's hopefully well balanced, so I guess there's not much left to do here. Maybe some rebalancing if something weird happens. Anyway, it sure won't fall into oblivion.

I already created some new hyper drive tech, fuel cells and some other stuff. The thing is that most of it hasn't anything to do with slowing down the speed, so I decided to do the job properly and started another mod that expands the complete research tree, the Research Extended mod. That one is still in early development, though.

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 10
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/19/2014 4:55:46 AM   
hewwo

whooooo this is the perfect mod for me! Thanks:)

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 11
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/19/2014 5:15:45 AM   
Rhikore

Wow, I had just been recently thinking about doing this...
From Bubble to Gerax, in the vanilla incarnation, feels like youre going from bicycles to ludicrous speed.
Little immersion breaking.

Currently working on Races for an original mod, yet was also wanting to mod Hyperdrive/Fuel Efficiency, and Weapon Balance.

< Message edited by Rhikore -- 7/19/2014 8:24:51 AM >

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 12
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/19/2014 7:38:31 AM   
Tcby

Hi lurchi,

Could you please explain how you changed each of the drive techs? I assume your original changes to the gerax line are basically the same. What did you do with the later techs?

Thanks

(in reply to Rhikore)
Post #: 13
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/19/2014 1:54:28 PM   
ParagonExile

Also, did you change the Dhayut drive at all?

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 14
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/19/2014 3:51:42 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tcby
Could you please explain how you changed each of the drive techs? I assume your original changes to the gerax line are basically the same. What did you do with the later techs?

With the later drives I did just about the same as with gerax, everything is slower and has less range. Additionally speed, efficiency and jumptime are more diverse.
The price tag change and warp bubble upgrade is gone now, since there's no need to slow down development anymore.

< Message edited by lurchi -- 7/19/2014 4:58:20 PM >

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 15
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/19/2014 3:52:23 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile

Also, did you change the Dhayut drive at all?

Yeah, all hyper drives are modded.

(in reply to ParagonExile)
Post #: 16
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/30/2014 6:06:43 PM   
EXar86

Hello Lurchi, the download link is wrong can you re-upload it plz?

Just register for your mods and want to say great job so far and good luck for the "Research reloaded" mod!

(Sorry for my bad English)

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 17
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/30/2014 7:00:23 PM   
lurchi

Thanks.

I reupped the mod, see the attachment in the op post.

(in reply to EXar86)
Post #: 18
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/30/2014 7:34:58 PM   
EXar86

Quick response thx you !

Now i can begin a new game

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 19
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/30/2014 10:50:19 PM   
Tnarg

Cool, this is just what I wanted. I downloaded it and the two .txt files that you modified are from 1.9.5.0. Is that going to effect anything if I'm using the latest patch 1.9.5.5? Were there any changes to the components and research .txt since then? Can't wait to try this. Thanks!

(in reply to EXar86)
Post #: 20
RE: Slower gamestart - 7/31/2014 8:42:39 AM   
lurchi

There were only minor changes, this mod should work just fine.

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 21
RE: Slower gamestart - 8/4/2014 10:49:59 AM   
Icemania

lurchi, Tanaka is slightly keen for me to apply this to the AI Improvement Mod, so I'm having a closer look!

I really like the changes to early game drives as the jump from speed 2,000 to 12,500 is far too extreme. Cool.

What I'd suggest reconsidering is the late game, where I consider default speeds to be far too slow. It's often a mop-up operation, faster speeds would help speed-up the late game. So I would prefer more than default speed, not less ... at least once you get to Tech Level 5 and above.

Also, once Gerax is available, I'm finding in the AI Improvement Mod that there is little incentive to focus early on Hyperdrive research, as other areas provide more significant benefits. This may change if there was more of a range in Hyperdrive speeds. It always struck me how limited the change was from Tier 1 to Tier 7 ...

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 22
RE: Slower gamestart - 8/4/2014 12:42:22 PM   
hewwo

I completely agree with you ice! I have the same experience.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 23
RE: Slower gamestart - 8/4/2014 3:55:45 PM   
lurchi

Oh, don't worry. There will be more and higher speed drives in Research Reloaded. Also a new one with extremely high speed. The drive tree will be completely redone like the rest of the research.

This here is just a simple mod. When I'm done with Research Reloaded I might include the new drives here as well.

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 24
RE: Slower gamestart - 2/4/2015 11:41:35 PM   
Unforeseen

Does this work with AI Improvement mod? I'm thinking about using vanilla tech because it looks like there will be at least another 6 months before someone "might" finish a technology mod.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 25
RE: Slower gamestart - 2/5/2015 12:02:59 AM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Does this work with AI Improvement mod? I'm thinking about using vanilla tech because it looks like there will be at least another 6 months before someone "might" finish a technology mod.

Lurchi gone, dawg. Last Login 10/18/2014 5:25:53 PM

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 26
RE: Slower gamestart - 2/5/2015 12:25:48 AM   
Unforeseen

Yeah but he finished this Mod a long time ago. It was meant to be updated with his Research mod, but it's functional as a stand alone. The only issue is that the late game is alot slower. But for someone like me that wants to keep the galaxy feeling tremendous from start to finish it's perfect. Which is why i'm hoping it will work with AI Improvement Mod... I'll make a post on Ice's mod thread. EDIT: NVM This is also obsolete. IceMania incorporated this concept into his mod. My bad.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 2/5/2015 1:28:23 AM >

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Lower Speed And Range Mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI