Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 3:52:14 PM   
Banjo

There has been no activity by the Japanese vs the Chicoms since their objective of securing of Sian and the mountains to the north. The Chicoms are happy for a respite in the mountains and are slowly rebuilding. Luckily for everyone, partsan activity has been nil thus far.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 541
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 4:14:11 PM   
Banjo

The Nationals hampered by the same weather as the Japanese, are sitting tight and praying. The units in the jungle hexes facing the Japanese would like to get into the mountains, but would become disrupted doing so, and do not want to risk the weather clearing for the japanese to hit them while disrupted. The militia unit moved east to reinforce if needed.

I am tempted to straighten the line out by pulling units back as shown when the weather clears. Also, I would like to get that cav. unit north to link up with its fellow cav units to the north eventually.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 542
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 4:30:35 PM   
Banjo

The BEF pulls out of the line for evacuation.

The French move two units behind paris, while moving the two garrisons into the space that they vacated. The Seine is open to the north.

If somehow the French survive this turn, they will recieve a sizable force that was shattered, with which they could possibly counterattack with. The Germans were gambling on taking Paris this turn, and the French have been able to make them fight for every hex they have taken, to their credit. It is now up to the end of turn, the weather and the dice.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 543
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 6:26:42 PM   
Banjo

The Germans launched their nav air unit into the North Sea for the chance that they may catch a possible evacuation of the BEF.

The Japanese are halted from advancing due to the weather.

The Italians take Tunis.

The Germans cross the Seine, and shuffle units to attack Paris. Two attacks are planned.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Banjo -- 7/30/2014 7:37:33 PM >

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 544
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 6:29:04 PM   
Banjo

The attack west of Paris is a success. If the attack on Paris fails, at least they have an extra hex to attack from for the next try.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Banjo -- 7/30/2014 7:44:28 PM >

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 545
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 6:32:44 PM   
Banjo

The stage is set and the actors are all in place. Its showtime.

Once again, they pull it off. The Germans are thankful that it was not a repeat of the conquest of Belgium this time.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Banjo -- 7/30/2014 7:45:36 PM >

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 546
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 6:41:38 PM   
Orm

I have a suggestion if you lack ideas on what to do with USSR.

Make a estimate how many units that USSR will receive as reinforcements until Mar/Apr 1941. You can do this by adding together the number of build points they receive the next few turns (maybe Jan/Feb 41 should be the last turn counted). Add to them the units you have on map. Then you look at the units in the USSR reserve pool. This is all the units that USSR will have when (if) Germany attacks 1941.

Then take a screenshot of western part of USSR (preferably without units). Then you mark on that screenshot every hex where you would like to have a unit.

Then it is easier to make a defensive plan.

----

If I played USSR I would, at once, rail Zhukov towards the West front. It takes several turns to get him from Vladivostok to Moscow. He should not be in Asia when Germany attacks. I usually have him in the Moscow - Gomel - Smolensk area. Preferably in a forest hex and not in ground strike range from the border.

Edit: Spelling.

< Message edited by Orm -- 7/30/2014 8:08:21 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 547
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 7:03:04 PM   
Banjo

Thanks Orm, I completely forgot about Zhukov!! Boy would that be bad if he was left relaxing out on the Pacific coast. When I posted my screenshots of the German attacks i realized I forgot to crop them and saw your post.

I like the idea of screenshots and marking the hexes you have, and I do like to mark up the screenshots.

I've been holding the stronger units back a bit to use the basis of a formation to stem the greatest threat to Moscow once there are a few German impulses have passed to see where the real dasnger area lies. Of course as the Germans begin to shift their forces into Poland before war is declared, some if not all of them may have to go toward the front.

This has been my quickest and least costly capture of Paris to date, and I am sure that everyones comments in this AAR has helped in that. Following the other AARs has played a part in that as well. Thank you all. Once this turn is over, things are going to become less clear as to how to procede. I can't wait.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 548
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 7:14:03 PM   
composer99

A breakthrough?

The French had the opportunity to call the combat table (assault vs. blitz), given the presence of Paris. Indeed, the same net result would have resulted in the attack failing (2 French units destroyed, none shattered, leaving 1 in the hex), 2 German casualties, and half the Germans disorganised.

Why did the French call a blitz combat?

(If the choice was the Germans' to make, then you may wish to submit a saved game to the tech support thread.)

~ Composer99

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 549
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 7:18:24 PM   
Orm

If you want to look at more reports on fighting in USSR then you could look at this AAR where Red Prince kicked my posterior in the Barbarossa scenario. It is not included in the AAR forum since it was posted before the separate AAR sub forum was created.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2874906

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 550
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 7:48:29 PM   
Banjo

Wow did I mess that up. Again. Dont ask me what I was thinking, as i have no idea.

I went to take a break and read some of the other AARs for a while, and saw your reply Composer. You are right about the choice. I reloaded it twice to make sure that it was my mistake, and as usual it was.

I think this may be one of those times where I may have to replay the subphase, since the loss of a major power is not the same as missing an exposed unit on the map, or forgetting that I had a ground strike unit available somewhere and did not use it. More than that it says its time to walk away from the computer for a few hours.

I ask you the reader what you think. Replay the land combat phase, or let it ride?

I am leaning to replaying it. With my reload in place, and choosing the attacks in the same order, the first attack gives the Germans the same roll of 14, and the hex west of Paris is taken. The Paris attack using the assault table this time, rolls a 12 (mod to 21) instead of a 10. Paris falls, half of the attackers are disorganized.

I can let the new results stand, use the original, or try one more time to give the French one more chance. It could make the difference of France lasting into the next turn or not. I really hate this.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 551
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 8:05:43 PM   
Orm

I think you should let it ride and stay with the original attack. But you must do what feels right for you.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 552
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 8:19:37 PM   
composer99

Ah, it's a rookie error in a solitaire game.

Might as well let the original attack stand.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 553
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 11:17:54 PM   
Banjo

A ten mile bike ride, a bit of a rest, and your comments, I have decided to stick with the original result. The French have the units to reinforce Paris if the one unit remained. However, the Germans now have four hexes to attack from, although there are disrupted units there, and only 2 reorganization points to use if per chance they would get another impulse this turn.

However, the French at the begining of the next turn would get a sizable force with which to mount a counter attack, with the shattered units from this turn. I think there is a choice you can make during the game set up that allows one to manually enter the die results, but it was not taken.

I should have known better when I chose the results table, but I was thinking, well, hey, I have an option here as the German player. That was my mistake. The two months off is showing. Live and learn. The worst that would have happened is that France would fall on the next turn, having gotten across the Seine. Had the BEF remained in place, and I had made the correct table choice, things may have turned out a bit different.

The biggest lesson I have learned throughout the course of the game, is to take your time. I pays to walk away from it for an hour or two, or just call it a night and go to bed. Bad judgement stemming from being tired is my worst enemy.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 554
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/30/2014 11:46:38 PM   
Banjo

Allied impulse 10

China land.
USSR and US combined.
France and CW naval.

The French facing a hopeless situation at home, will try to give the fleet one last chance to do something, and possibly get some of its units to Free France when the time comes. Have to do a bit more reading about that.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 555
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 2:30:37 AM   
Courtenay

Make sure that all French battleships wind up in Metropolitan France. Otherwise the rolls for which French regions go Vichy are very severely affected.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 556
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 2:59:01 AM   
Banjo

I better report the goings on before I forget them.

The Royal Navy sailed the Home Fleet in order to get the BEF out of France, and they are now in the North Sea. The Germans NAV unit intercepted, but was aborted.

Most of the French navy has put to sea as a last chance to thwart the axis, or to get a better chance of not becoming Vichy. How that will work out, I don't know.

There was another intercept chance I think, but my phone kept ringing, and what happened is lost to memory.

One last note before continuing. It took several attempts to figure out the movement, interception and finally get the BEF loaded, hence no screenshots of the goings on. I hope to have the whole process down before the big naval engagements commence.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 557
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 3:05:11 AM   
Banjo

Oops too late for the BBs. I read something about that, but thought it was a one time -2 roll per territory, and not cumulative per BB. Damn phone kept ringing, and trying to troubleshoot something from almost 200 miles away when the other person cant find their flashlight on top of that to see what is going on. At least I got that straightened out successfully.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 558
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 3:26:01 AM   
Banjo

Axis Impulse 11

Italy and Germany, land.
Japan Naval.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 559
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 3:54:29 AM   
Banjo

Before I call it a day, and before the land movement phase starts, the action so far. The Japanese once again halted by the weather, chose naval, and brought the transports from China back to Japan, and sent a convoy to connect a resource.

With the fall of France looming, the Germans need to decide where they are going next. That can wait until morning.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 560
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 6:34:33 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banjo

Oops too late for the BBs. I read something about that, but thought it was a one time -2 roll per territory, and not cumulative per BB. Damn phone kept ringing, and trying to troubleshoot something from almost 200 miles away when the other person cant find their flashlight on top of that to see what is going on. At least I got that straightened out successfully.

It is a -2 per territory if one or more BB is outside of Metropolitan France. It is not a cumulative modifier. But the -2 is a severe penalty. If the -2 penalty is in effect then there is a real risk that no Free France will be created. All the areas rolled for might actually become Vichy France and that is scary for the Allies.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 561
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 1:13:21 PM   
brian brian

The Vichy determination will work out fine, Banjo, as the Return to Base Phase is before the Peace Step which contains the Vichy France creation process. So unless the BBs have already sailed from France to a colonial base on a previous turn and are still in a distant port, you will have the opportunity to return them to a metropolitan French port.

Thanks for the fine AAR.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 562
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 8:54:45 PM   
Banjo

Thank you Brian and Orm. The French Med ports have been taken by the Italians, and their Med fleet is in the Italian Coast, so I'm not sure if they will make it to the Atlantic ports or not. This looks like a good reason to defend at least one of the Med ports regardless of how the Germans progressing toward Paris. Another lesson learned.

Looking at the map this morning was just as baffling as what to do as it was last night, so a 22 mile bicycle ride helped to clear my head as for what to do next.

More units are needed on the border with Russia.
Yugoslavia and Greece are an option.
Malta maybe.
Egypt and the Suez Canal possibly.
All of these options require troops to begin moving west, so they did.

A few units continued west in order to give the uboats French minor ports to rebase in at the end of the turn.

The Luftwaffe needs to be built up regardless of where the next move is.

Another thing that has to happen is to try to get the Royal Navy distracted enough so they cannot be everywhere at once. The subs, Italian and German fleets will work on that.

I am hoping to get the Luftwaffe and the Navies involved in hurting the CW production capabilities. Uboat production has been steady each turn, but trying not to overspend there each turn.

For now, my emphasis will be to redploy for the next few impulses and see what develops and where. If I overthink it too much, it will just create confusion, and my real objective this game is to just play it to the end and learn from that.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 563
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 9:08:27 PM   
Banjo

The Italians move two units back toward Italy in France and rebase a weak bomber.

The Germans rebase a fighter to their newly acquired Atlantic ports to give the soon to arrive uboats air cover.

The turn ends.

points are added to the Russian nutrality pools and the US entry is a paltry 1. This is another area of the game that I am slowly learning. US entry I dont think is going well. Oh well, next game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 564
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 10:18:16 PM   
Banjo

German final production. I hope I remembered my oil saving procedures.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 565
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 10:20:47 PM   
Banjo

Italian. Forgot to have Germany send some resources this time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 566
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 10:22:25 PM   
Banjo

Japanese.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 567
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 10:24:01 PM   
Banjo

Chinese.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 568
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 10:27:53 PM   
Banjo

Commonwealth. Another goof up was made at the end of the turn. With the convoy losses this turn, I should have paid attention and returned some of the unused convoys to port, in order to reestablish some of the routes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 569
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 10:29:06 PM   
Banjo

French.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI