Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would you play it/buy it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would you play it/buy it? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would you play it/buy it?

Sure
  15% (13)
Possibly
  21% (18)
No thanks
  57% (48)
They make board war games!?
  4% (4)

Total Votes : 83

(last vote on : 12/10/2018 7:07:39 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would you p... - 7/20/2014 12:28:09 AM   
CapnDarwin

An easy question for the weekend. Do we have any board gamers in the house? Comments welcome.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Post #: 1
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 12:46:49 AM   
Panta_slith

I have plenty board games, but nobody around to play them with...

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 2
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 12:50:18 AM   
Cafe

Board games are dead.

The last one I tried was the Lock n Load games. Beautiful production values compared to the older SPI/AH games and interesting mechanics, but the same old hassles....set up, pack up and lack of opponents.

Be nice.

(in reply to Panta_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 1:46:30 AM   
Wolfe1759

I voted "Sure"

I'd probably but it, unbox it and look at it, read the rules, set it up, look at it, read the rules again, read a book on the subject, play a scenario (possibly two) solitaire, pack it away, put it on the shelf, come back to it a month/year or two later and repeat the process.

If only it had a solitaire system or maybe some sort of dice/flowchart driven "AI" I might actually play a little bit more of it.

Don't get me wrong I love board wargames, but I tend to find that I no longer play them so much as collect them.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Cafe)
Post #: 4
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 2:19:27 AM   
Redan

Not for me. The game is fine, wish you luck!

"You can't stack units in this game. This is Tactics II, hexes haven't been invented yet..."

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 5
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 2:24:53 AM   
Plodder

I voted "sure" too. It would be interesting to see how the asynchronous turns would be ported into boardgame mechanics.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to Redan)
Post #: 6
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 2:57:54 AM   
CapnDarwin

Just a theoretical question folks. We do have a couple of us on the OTS team with board game design experience.

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 7
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 3:01:03 AM   
KEYSTONE07950

I voted sure. I still play board games.

Don't we already sort of have it in the LnL's World at War series?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 8
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 3:27:27 AM   
grant1pa

I'm an old timer board gamer from the Squad Leader, Panzerblitz era. One of the problems I had then, and still have now, is opponents.

This is one of the reasons I've transitioned almost exclusively to computer wargames.

However, I'd be tempted to see this one put into a physical board format.

Grant1

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 9
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 3:31:07 AM   
KEYSTONE07950

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

I voted "sure" too. It would be interesting to see how the asynchronous turns would be ported into boardgame mechanics.

World At War's chit pull activation adds that element to an existing board game system.

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 10
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 4:03:33 AM   
Mad Russian

For all those of you missing opponents, why don't you use Vassal?

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to KEYSTONE07950)
Post #: 11
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 5:10:33 AM   
DoubleDeuce

I haven't answered yet. I honestly would have to think hard on this. Personally I am not sure how the turn structure would be able to be converted successfully.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 12
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 11:05:39 AM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

Vassal is a cool system, but for me if I'm going to use a PC to facilitate a board game, I'd really just rather play a PC game. Half the fun of board games--and I used to have a collection of hundreds of wargames, which I sold off years ago to help pay for grad school!--is the physicality of it all. Counters, maps, charts, all that sort of stuff. But that's personal preference.

Board games are hardly dead, but for many of us it's very hard to justify buying fairly expensive physical games which in all likelihood we'll only fiddle around with or browse once or twice. So if it's a matter of resources, while a boardgame version would be conceptually interesting, I for one would think your resources would be better deployed elsewhere.

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 13
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 5:13:14 PM   
WABAC

Not one, but two cats currently.

Previous cats just loved the Central Front series. And they always won.

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 14
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/20/2014 7:47:12 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

ORIGINAL: WABAC

Not one, but two cats currently.

Previous cats just loved the Central Front series. And they always won.

Yeah, I always had cats too, before I got married and my wife was allergic to 'em. Back then, they too liked the Central Front series, as well as Wacht am Rhine and Atlantic Wall.

(in reply to WABAC)
Post #: 15
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/21/2014 3:18:57 PM   
jds1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cafe

Board games are dead.

The last one I tried was the Lock n Load games. Beautiful production values compared to the older SPI/AH games and interesting mechanics, but the same old hassles....set up, pack up and lack of opponents.

Everything he just said....I've got tons of old Avalon Hill & Victory Games classics collecting dust.

Tangentially related: I really like the aesthetics of FPCRS as it reminds me of the old hex & counter games w/o the hassle.

(in reply to Cafe)
Post #: 16
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/21/2014 4:06:14 PM   
CapnDarwin

We are big fans of tangents.

(in reply to jds1978)
Post #: 17
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/21/2014 4:58:23 PM   
FroBodine

I love historical boardgames, and have a pretty huge collection. I also am fortunate enough to have a very active wargamers group close to me in Oakland, CA (USA). We meet twice a month, and play historical boardgames.

It is a blast. We play everything From the oldies like Squad Leader, Up Front, Victory in the Pacific to the latest and greatest GMT wargames. Combat Commander:Europe is a huge group favorite, as is Napoleon's Triumph by Bowen Simmons.

So, if anyone lives in the Bay Area of Northern California, please check out Endgame in Oakland, and join us the 1st and 3rd Mondays for wargaming boardgame style.

Anyway, I might purchase a boardgame version of this game. I would have to see how it plays out, and the length of play. It does sound interesting, though. I would much rather see a WW2 version of it, though, both PC and boardgame. :o)

< Message edited by jglazier -- 7/21/2014 6:03:05 PM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 18
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/21/2014 7:14:31 PM   
Tinkershuffle

There still is a shortfall of cold war gone hot boardgames, so I would most likely buy it. LnL's WaW series is a good one but the command/HQ mechanics are a bit incomplete in my opinion. Fix that and you got a winner. :)

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 19
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/21/2014 8:21:55 PM   
Werewolf13

Fond memories of board wargames. Fond.

Started playing them in 1961 and played 'em regular right up until 1979 when I bought my 1st PC (a TRS-80 with a mere 16K of RAM). Got an Avalon Hill game for the TRS-80 called Tanktics I believe. Came with a board, card board units etc. Russian front game IIRC. You set it all up and the computer was your opponent (it told you where to move its pieces and you told it where you moved yours). Primitive to be sure but it took me about 30 seconds in to it to know that I'd never ever go back to board games.

Besides - little kids - I had three baby girls at the time - and board wargames don't really mix well. They're all grown up now and I've got 8 grand kids and a 6 year old son and board games don't mix well with them either. Nope - never going back - ever.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to Tinkershuffle)
Post #: 20
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/21/2014 9:56:32 PM   
hazmaxed

I voted possibly. It would have to have a turn sequence usable in a board game, though. Some form of "chit pull" system, I would expect.

There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 21
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/22/2014 12:09:46 AM   
tide1530

I voted sure. I still play my old Avalon Hill games also Academy Games and Lock'n Load games. I've wanted the MMP game Baltic Gap but that $70.00 price tag is still holding me back.

(in reply to hazmaxed)
Post #: 22
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/22/2014 12:47:47 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: hazmaxed

I voted possibly. It would have to have a turn sequence usable in a board game, though. Some form of "chit pull" system, I would expect.

There have been asynchronous turns in a board game for more than 25 years now. It's not all that hard. There are several available at the moment that are very popular. Whatever mechanism that is used to have one sides order cycle different from the other. My own games use a random chit pull system. It's much easier to implement from a design stand point in a board game that it is in a computer game. The end results are much the same; exciting intense gaming experiences.

The reason for this thread is that we were approached to see if we would consider doing a boardgame version of FPC:RS. Among us we have a 'few' other game designs that are at various stages of development that 'could' be tied in with FPC:RS. While it may well be a diversion of resources, there are times when you need to step away from any project. Rob has been steadily coding FPC for about 8 years now. That's a lot of time on one project.

It's not that we 'need' something else to do but there are times when you need something a bit different on your mind. It's like fishing for bass at your favorite spot. You always go there. But one day, you go fishing for crappie instead with a couple of friends that invited you. You're still fishing but it's different. It's that kind of a thing. I was working on a boardgame project when I joined this one and it's fairly well advanced at this time.

We are not going to leave the computer gaming market to produce board games. However, the comment that board games are dead is completely false. By far more board wargames than computer games are sold every year.

Vassal/Skype have created the opponents needed part of the equation.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 7/22/2014 1:48:54 PM >

(in reply to hazmaxed)
Post #: 23
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/22/2014 5:09:33 PM   
hazmaxed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tinkershuffle

There still is a shortfall of cold war gone hot boardgames, so I would most likely buy it. LnL's WaW series is a good one but the command/HQ mechanics are a bit incomplete in my opinion. Fix that and you got a winner. :)

LnL's WaW series is the most recent "cold war gone hot" board game that I'm aware of. There are lots of out-of-print titles out there, of varying scales (and quality).

Avalon Hill - MBT, Tac Air
GDW - Third World War series, Assault series, First Battles series
SPI - The Next War, Mech War 2, Mech War 77, Red Star/White Star, and a long list of others I can't remember
GMT - Crisis: Korea 1995 and it's redesign, Next War: Korea (it's actually newer than the WaW series, come to think of it)

There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."

(in reply to Tinkershuffle)
Post #: 24
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/22/2014 7:59:47 PM   
76mm

quote:

By far more board wargames than computer games are sold every year.

hmmm, wonder if that extends to number of games *played* every year. The fact is that for most people being able to fire up a computer game (even with a moderately competent AI) is vastly more convenient than scrounging around for an opponent, whether for the physical boardgame or its VASSAL equivalent.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 25
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/22/2014 9:56:28 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

By far more board wargames than computer games are sold every year.

hmmm, wonder if that extends to number of games *played* every year. The fact is that for most people being able to fire up a computer game (even with a moderately competent AI) is vastly more convenient than scrounging around for an opponent, whether for the physical boardgame or its VASSAL equivalent.

Hard to say. Seems the same thing applies to computer games. Less that 40% of the games bought on Steam are played even once.

Why buy them if you aren't going to play them? Board games can be collected and played years later the same is not always true of computer games.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 26
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/31/2014 1:14:33 PM   
bayonetbrant

quote:

Board games are dead.

And yet globally they raked in over 1.8 billion in sales last year.

(in reply to Cafe)
Post #: 27
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/31/2014 1:20:14 PM   
bayonetbrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: hazmaxed
Avalon Hill - MBT, Tac Air
GDW - Third World War series, Assault series, First Battles series
SPI - The Next War, Mech War 2, Mech War 77, Red Star/White Star, and a long list of others I can't remember
GMT - Crisis: Korea 1995 and it's redesign, Next War: Korea (it's actually newer than the WaW series, come to think of it)

BGG, filters are "Modern Warfare" and "Hex and counter" in subdomain "wargames"

Once you get past page 2, you start getting all sorts of weird and off-the-wall stuff.

(in reply to hazmaxed)
Post #: 28
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 7/31/2014 7:39:47 PM   
trebcourie

quote:

ORIGINAL: grant1pa

I'm an old timer board gamer from the Squad Leader, Panzerblitz era. One of the problems I had then, and still have now, is opponents.

This is one of the reasons I've transitioned almost exclusively to computer wargames.

However, I'd be tempted to see this one put into a physical board format.

Grant1

I agree completely. I have a lot of wargames from the 1980s and 1990s, but no one to play them with.

I have just recently gotten into some miniatures with some friends (Sails of Glory and X-Wing). But boardgames suffer one huge drawback, especially at this level, that computer games are great at -- Fog of War.

(in reply to grant1pa)
Post #: 29
RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would y... - 8/1/2014 1:52:55 AM   
demiller

quote:

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant

quote:

Board games are dead.

And yet globally they raked in over 1.8 billion in sales last year.

It's like a discussion like this summons you from some nether plane...

AKA panzerde

(in reply to bayonetbrant)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would you play it/buy it? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI