Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed Edition?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed Edition? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed Edi... - 8/3/2014 3:00:42 PM   
trebcourie

I've vacillated the past almost year over getting this game. I just gave WITP:AE a shot and couldn't quite get into it, so I think I'll go ahead and buy this one.

Big question: Should I get the Boxed Edition? I usually don't like hardcopy manuals and am fine with a PDF open on my second monitor, but a game of this breadth and depth may be a different story. Is it worth the extra money?
Post #: 1
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/3/2014 3:31:39 PM   
Sardaukar

It's bit of personal preference. Lot of extra material and such are on net anyways. So it comes down to if one wants printed manual or not.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 2
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/3/2014 3:51:53 PM   
Mgellis

I suppose the advantage of the boxed edition is also in case you have an emergency "oh my god, my hard drive was wiped and I've lost all my passwords, etc." situation. I'm not sure what happens in a case like that as far as Matrix is concerned, but if you have an actual hard copy of the game it doesn't matter, and it's probably faster anyway. I think of it as insurance. :)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 3
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/3/2014 5:11:21 PM   
AdmiralSteve

I've always liked to have a backup disk/manual. Matrix seems to backup the disk for you so you don't have to pay the extra $$$ for a physical copy and I don't know if the boxed game will have the amended manual. The game has been drastically changed since v 1.01. Yeah, personal preference. Just my two cents.

“There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.”
Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. 1882-1959

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 4
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/3/2014 5:13:20 PM   
ed72n

I normally like to buy games that have a nice physical manual but I made an exception with COMMAND. This has been a good decision as the game is evolving and expanding so fast that the manual is now not current anymore and will fall further and further behind as the game continues to grow.

In my case, I saved on the shipping when I purchased. I still have the manual which I printed myself. I have also printed out the manual addendum and the FAQ and clipped them all together so everything is much more than update than what you would get in the "box" version. It's also easy to burn the program files onto a disk for back-up purposes.

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 5
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/3/2014 9:00:27 PM   
Tomcat84

To join in on what the others have said: it is not necessarily needed. I have it cause I like having a boxed version, it is pretty nicely packaged. But I don't ever read the manual, and so many things have already changed with the patches (which is a good thing!) that it is not really up to date anymore. I dont expect the printed version to have been updated with the addendum. Of course there is still useful info in the manual if you are brand new to the game, but it's a bit of a toss up. How much do you like to read a physical copy of a manual? And how much does the extra expense hurt you. Since you say you usually are fine without a hardcopy I would think in this case probably you would be too.

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

(in reply to ed72n)
Post #: 6
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/3/2014 10:53:28 PM   
Feltan

Get the boxed addition.

It is an extra few bucks for the developers, and you actually get some value for your money.

There are few things in life you actually have control over. One of the things you do control is whether or not you are a cheap skate -- give the guys a few extra bucks and feel good about yourself.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 7
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/4/2014 3:13:39 AM   
Plodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Get the boxed addition.

It is an extra few bucks for the developers, and you actually get some value for your money.

There are few things in life you actually have control over. One of the things you do control is whether or not you are a cheap skate -- give the guys a few extra bucks and feel good about yourself.

Regards,
Feltan

Seriously? Most of extra bucks goes into the manufacturing and handling of the physical items, not the developer. If Matrix really wanted you to have a printed manual they wouldn't supply a printer-friendly PDF manual. Calling someone a cheap skate is pretty bloody rude...

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 8
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/4/2014 6:40:28 AM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

quote:

Get the boxed addition.

Regards,
Feltan

Seriously? Most of extra bucks goes into the manufacturing and handling of the physical items, not the developer. If Matrix really wanted you to have a printed manual they wouldn't supply a printer-friendly PDF manual. Calling someone a cheap skate is pretty bloody rude...

Yeah, seriously. Most software publishers look at unit sales, and at $$$/unit/sale. Do you think that spending less money helps the developers?

I suspect the price point on this product keeps sales limited; it is a niche market. Every little bit helps.

And, I didn't call anyone a cheap skate -- I said it is one of the few things you can control.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 9
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/4/2014 7:43:05 AM   
goodwoodrw

To or not to is a personal choice. I just like seeing my name printed on the disc.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 10
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/4/2014 8:18:26 AM   
Marder

I bought the boxed version just to support such a great team!
Put a USB Stick with all the addons in the Box just for the case.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 11
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/5/2014 1:50:08 AM   
trebcourie

quote:

quote:

Get the boxed addition.

Regards,
Feltan

Thanks. Most of the replies here were quite helpful. But I don't see how not wanting to pay $15 extra on an already-high-priced game for shipping, extra packing and material that I will immediately throw away, and for another book to add to the countless books already in my house would constitute being a "cheap skate."

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 12
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/5/2014 1:53:26 AM   
kaburke61

quote:

ORIGINAL: BROJD

quote:

quote:

Get the boxed addition.

Regards,
Feltan

Thanks. Most of the replies here were quite helpful. But I don't see how not wanting to pay $15 extra on an already-high-priced game for shipping, extra packing and material that I will immediately throw away, and for another book to add to the countless books already in my house would constitute being a "cheap skate."

Agreed, considering I haven't seen any post from the developers stating they ACTUALLY get any more money from
the boxed set. Even if they did get a small amount more, I would rather give them my money by purchasing enhancements/campaigns/new titles, etc.
I read the manuals on my tablet, and I back up my computer, so I do not need a physical disc around I will not use.

Blanket assumptions, and insults are not helpful.

< Message edited by kaburke61 -- 8/5/2014 3:15:58 AM >

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 13
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/5/2014 2:33:48 AM   
JRyan

I would get the box, DL the game and leave the box where people can see it:)

I have all my Harpoons right next to it, I have a shelf dedicated to them.

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 14
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/5/2014 11:47:36 PM   
dandin384

If you do go with the download version don't worry about hard drive crashes and getting your game back. Matrix has amazing support when it comes to sending re-download keys. They respond quick and you will be back playing in no time. It all comes down to playing Command in the end anyways . The download will get you there faster, the boxed will give you a physical manual.

< Message edited by dandin384 -- 8/6/2014 12:48:07 AM >

(in reply to JRyan)
Post #: 15
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/6/2014 3:40:19 AM   
Stevechase

Only got the digital version. But I don't feel I missed anything really. Either way the game is well worth either price to me, and if I somehow had a crash and lost all my stuff, this would be probably the first of the few games I would repurchase even with its above average price.

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 16
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/6/2014 3:40:53 AM   
mrfeizhu

save a tree take you kids out to lunch

Old man sort of living in China for the last 10 years

(in reply to dandin384)
Post #: 17
RE: So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed... - 8/6/2014 1:48:36 PM   
Grubwurm

Once the ****e starts flying you throw the fuggin manual out hehe

(in reply to mrfeizhu)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> So I may give in and buy this. Do I need the Boxed Edition? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI