Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/3/2014 10:58:48 PM   
margeorg

Hello,

I just encountered the following situation: I had 2 ASW TFs, consisting of 2 SCs each, on patrol a few hexes outside San Francisco. Their patrol was set by using the "Set patrol zone" option under the the "Set TF routing" arrow in the TF configuration screen. Checking the individual ships shows that all had their ASW ammo completely depleted. All that was left was ammo for the standard guns.

Under such circumstances I would expect an ASW TF to return to it´s home port for replenishment. Of what value they can be without any dedicated ASW ammo ??? However, all TFs stayed on their positions.

Is this WAD??? Michaelm, is it possible to change the code accordingly, so that ASW TFs will return to their ports when all dedicated ASW ammo (DCs, ammo for Moustrap, Hedgehog etc.) is depleted?

The game I´m playing is a stock scen00 as Allies, with the latest beta (x9) installed. Also, the inoffical data files upgrades are installed.

Cheers
Martin
Post #: 1
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/3/2014 11:00:31 PM   
Terminus

Make one of the patrol waypoints the nearest port and it'll work.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 2
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/3/2014 11:00:35 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Make the third patrol point SF and set replenishment to on.

The Moose

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 3
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/3/2014 11:23:56 PM   
EHansen

I believe that when all the ASW ammo is expended, the TF reverts to a Surface Combat TF and so it will not automatically return to refresh ammo is does not need.

Anyway, like Terminus and Bullwinkle58 stated, make SF one of your patrol points with full refueling and things will work fine.

< Message edited by EHansen -- 8/4/2014 12:25:05 AM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 4
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/5/2014 6:52:33 PM   
Capt Cliff

Try setting one of the patrol points for the ASW TF the harbor they originated from and have them refuel there, they might rearm too! I've done that around Sapporo and it seems to work.

Yeah oops ... what Terminus said!

< Message edited by Capt Cliff -- 8/5/2014 7:53:35 PM >

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 5
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/5/2014 7:39:33 PM   
HansBolter

All of which are perfectly useable work arounds, but they all also preclude using the "Patrol Around" setting.

Subs on patrols that are typically so far from a friendly base that setting the base as one patrol point would be prohibitive typically return to their home port to replenish when depleted.
ASW TFs "should" do the same without a work around.

Regardless of work around solutions it should still be looked into.

Hans

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 6
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/7/2014 4:43:26 AM   
Yaab

I have always thought ASW patrols return to base once their DC charges have been spent. In my games, I have several ASW TFs that patrol non-base hexes with their reaction set to 1 or 2. Does that mean they will stay in the hexes with just gun ammo until their fuel is expended?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/7/2014 1:25:56 PM   
margeorg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I have always thought ASW patrols return to base once their DC charges have been spent. In my games, I have several ASW TFs that patrol non-base hexes with their reaction set to 1 or 2. Does that mean they will stay in the hexes with just gun ammo until their fuel is expended?

Yep,

that was exactly the experience I had. All ASW ammo was depleted, gun ammo was still present, and they stayed on position. I only noticed it, because I got a combat report where the SC fought the japanese sub using guns only.

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 8
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/7/2014 3:45:06 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Are you sure any Mousetrap ammo was expended too?

The Moose

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 9
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/7/2014 9:36:41 PM   
Alfred

Screenshots please.

I find that in 95%+ of cases where someone just makes a bald statement that something is not working, they fail to provide accurate details of what actually is the situation.  A screenshot of the TF and another of the patrol setting screen provide considerable more detail than the meagre comments of the OP.  the answer is then usually obvious and obviates all this guessing and unnecessary workarounds for what is almost certainly not a bug/problem.

Alfred

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 10
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/8/2014 4:09:32 PM   
margeorg

One of the all-famous Alfred-replies again :). Will reply later when I´m back at home. Screenshot is a bit problematic ATM, because the situation needs to arise again (lacking the enemy subs in the last 2 turns *g*).

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 11
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/10/2014 9:04:34 AM   
margeorg

OK, here we go. Please keep in mind that these screens do not show the ASW-depleted TF (presently, my enemy has withdrawn his subs, so they do not expend ASW ammo ATM). But I precisely remember that the lower three weapons on the SCs had red zeros, i.e. they had depleted all their ASW ammo. The TF type remained "ASW combat", and they didn´t return to SFO to replenish. Fuel was more than sufficient to stay on position.

Attachment (1)

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 12
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/10/2014 9:05:05 AM   
margeorg

second screen ...

Attachment (1)

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 13
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/10/2014 9:05:42 AM   
margeorg

And the third (forum allows one picture per post only :( )

Attachment (1)

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 14
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/22/2014 12:58:14 PM   
michaelm75au

I have set up a little test under latest beta, and the patrolling ASW TF is indicating it is low on ammo, but is not retiring.
Take that back.
It did retire to port and replenish. And went back on patrol.
So appears to be working.
---
If there are ships present with no ASW weapons (rather than low on ammo), it can skew the check for low ammo recall.

< Message edited by michaelm -- 8/22/2014 3:10:15 PM >

Michael

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 15
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/22/2014 2:02:11 PM   
PaxMondo

When low on ammo, ASW TF's regularly RTB for re-supply. However, if they simply run low on fuel ... in my current game latest beta, its 50/50 at best.

Pax

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 16
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/22/2014 3:11:40 PM   
EHansen

The problem I have is when one ship in a ASW TF expends all of its ammo, the TF stays out and often the ship that is out of ammo will attack the next sub. With no result of course.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 17
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/22/2014 3:31:54 PM   
michaelm75au

If it is only one ship in a multi-ship ASW TF, the check to return to base requires that most of ships are low on ammo. So just one ship isn't going to cause all ships to replenish. Unless you manually detach it ...

Michael

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 18
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/23/2014 4:37:12 AM   
margeorg

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

I have set up a little test under latest beta, and the patrolling ASW TF is indicating it is low on ammo, but is not retiring.
Take that back.
---
If there are ships present with no ASW weapons (rather than low on ammo), it can skew the check for low ammo recall.

Hello Michael,

many thanks for running the tests. Just for clarification: Did the TF return when it was out of ASW ammo (emphasize added), or when it was out of ammo at all??? As stated earlier my problem was that the TF stayed out without ASW ammo and continued to attack the sub with their guns only.

Cheers
Martin

Post #: 19
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/23/2014 4:49:59 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: margeorg

quote:

Take that back.
---

Hello Michael,

many thanks for running the tests. Just for clarification: Did the TF return when it was out of ASW ammo (emphasize added), or when it was out of ammo at all??? As stated earlier my problem was that the TF stayed out without ASW ammo and continued to attack the sub with their guns only.

Returned when 0 ASW. When I looked at the TF at end of turn, it said 'returning to replenish' or such at the top of the TF screen.
Run the attached save and it should retire next turn or 2. [ASW TF near Pearl Harbor]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by michaelm -- 8/23/2014 6:33:33 AM >

Michael

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 20
RE: Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) - 8/23/2014 12:18:07 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Returned when 0 ASW.

consistent with what I see ... if the TF is surface, then when it runs out of main gun ammo ... this is fine except for BB's whose secondaries are rarely used ...

Pax

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Replenishment of ASW TFs on patrol (no Jukov please) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI