Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Diplomacy Options

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Diplomacy Options Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Diplomacy Options - 8/4/2014 4:43:36 PM   
Cyrtis

I'm not new to DW, but I still don't understand some things in this amazing game.

Could someone tell me why, for example, The Human Empire would ever want to offer protectorate status to say, the Kiadian Republic?

I may be wrong, but it seems protectorate status would only get the Human empire shared vision, while the Kiadians would have the Humans to protect them. So ultimately, this benefits the Kiadians, while burdening the Humans. The Kiadians are getting free protection.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Diplomacy Options - 8/4/2014 4:50:16 PM   
Werewolf13

So far the Kiadians are my favorite race to play. If the humans want to shed their blood to protect me - who am I to argue with their generosity?

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to Cyrtis)
Post #: 2
RE: Diplomacy Options - 8/4/2014 5:00:45 PM   
Cyrtis

Since I can't recruit spies, but rather they just *poof* appear, I tend to avoid using them for anything but counter-intel. So I usually try to avoid entanglements with the Kiadians. Live and let live. Or total annihilation. Whatever...

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 3
RE: Diplomacy Options - 8/4/2014 9:58:30 PM   
Aeson

Not everything that you do must come with its own inherent benefit. If, for example, the Kiadians are a large trading partner of your Humans, then offering them protectorate status or a defensive alliance lets everyone else in the game know that if they decide to mess with the Kiadians, you're going to get involved. This should help keep your trading partner safe from predatory empires, such as the Boskara, and a safe trading partner can be a more profitable one. I believe that both Mutual Defense Pacts and Protectorates additionally act as an improved Free Trade Agreement, though I am not certain.

(in reply to Cyrtis)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Diplomacy Options Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI