Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

James Shigeta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> James Shigeta Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
James Shigeta - 8/12/2014 4:33:08 PM   
Miller

Just found out the guy who played Adm Nagumo in Midway died a couple of weeks ago. Not many of the main cast from that film are still alive now.

I know it's far from the greatest war movie ever made but watching it for the first time as an eight year old got me interested in the whole pacific war thing
Post #: 1
RE: James Shigeta - 8/12/2014 6:08:53 PM   
rockmedic109

Yeah, I watched it over and over when I was a kid.

In Sensorround or some such. Vibrated the seats and shook my brain from it's moorings to my skull.

Seeing all the old actors I grew up watching turn old and pass reminds me that I am getting old. I plan on being the only inmate in my nursing facility playing AE.

< Message edited by rockmedic109 -- 8/12/2014 7:10:46 PM >

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 2
RE: James Shigeta - 8/12/2014 7:13:00 PM   
kaleun

quote:

Seeing all the old actors I grew up watching turn old and pass reminds me that I am getting old. I plan on being the only inmate in my nursing facility playing AE.

We might need them to stock Windows 7 computers in nursing facilities.

My plans include a massive coronary at 79 (My father is 82 and has Alzheimer's)

I'll have four eggs, sunny side up and a large T-bone, rare.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 3
RE: James Shigeta - 8/12/2014 7:50:13 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

quote:

We might need them to stock Windows 7 computers in nursing facilities.

My plans include a massive coronary at 79 (My father is 82 and has Alzheimer's)

I'll have four eggs, sunny side up and a large T-bone, rare.

Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad passed away last year from Alzheimer's.

As far as the eggs go, Easy over, bacon, and hash browns....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 4
RE: James Shigeta - 8/12/2014 11:23:48 PM   
Bill Durrant

Yep, sad and happy memories. I remember my Dad taking me to watch Zulu and The Longest Day - they must have still been doing UK cinema circuit in the late 60's. Then when I was older we saw Midway and A Bridge Too Far. He died in 2004 but loved SPR and Band of Brothers beforehand. Now my son has the bug but more for Ancients. Still, the legacy survives which makes me happy,

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 5
RE: James Shigeta - 8/13/2014 12:19:17 AM   
msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Yeah, I watched it over and over when I was a kid.

In Sensorround or some such. Vibrated the seats and shook my brain from it's moorings to my skull.

The husband of the librarian in my home town had served in the Navy in WW2. I remember his comment about the battle scenes in Midway: they were pretty accurate but not nearly loud enough. The din of a naval battle is unbelievable.

-- Mark Sieving

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 6
RE: James Shigeta - 8/13/2014 12:31:31 AM   
dr.hal

I remember when "Sink the Bismark" came out and I just had to see it.... didn't get to see it until about 20 years later!!! Sad.

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 7
RE: James Shigeta - 8/13/2014 11:38:37 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Just found out the guy who played Adm Nagumo in Midway died a couple of weeks ago. Not many of the main cast from that film are still alive now ...

Does anyone recall how many times they watched Sesue Hayakawa commit seppuku in some World War II film?
I recall him doing so in "Bridge on the River Kwai" and "Hell to Eternity".

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 8
RE: James Shigeta - 8/13/2014 4:19:59 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Durrant
Yep, sad and happy memories. I remember my Dad taking me to watch Zulu and The Longest Day - they must have still been doing UK cinema circuit in the late 60's. Then when I was older we saw Midway and A Bridge Too Far. He died in 2004 but loved SPR and Band of Brothers beforehand. Now my son has the bug but more for Ancients. Still, the legacy survives which makes me happy,

I also remember fondly seeing "Midway", "A Bridge too Far", "Where Eagles Dare" and "The Eagle has Landed" with my father in the theatres. I remember being shocked and depressed about "A Bridge Too Far"...what do you mean the good guys don't always win in war?!?

We recently enjoyed drinking bourbon and watching "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" in their entirety when he was last visiting.

He's 81 now, and in failing health, so I treasure those memories as well as the remaining time we have left together.

(in reply to Bill Durrant)
Post #: 9
RE: James Shigeta - 8/14/2014 12:23:43 AM   
John 3rd

My Father managed movie theatres from my birth through 25. I watched many of those pictures with my Father in an empty theatre 'testing' a new movie PRIOR to any patrons coming in. Man we played the volume REALLY LOUD and had a great time. Lots of good movie memories.

When Midway came out with sensaround sound, we 'tested' that film Friday afternoon and my Father raised the volume so high that when the Doolittle bombs went off, the ENTIRE theatre shook and dust fell from the ceiling. Someone called the Grand Island, NE police to report an explosion. Ohhhhh...those are fun memories!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 10
RE: James Shigeta - 8/14/2014 10:54:49 PM   
wgs_explorer

My dad took me to see Khartoum when I was little. He also gave me my first wargame, Leipzig by SPI. He had it and had no idea how to play it.

Bill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
RE: James Shigeta - 8/15/2014 4:16:43 AM   
TOMLABEL

I remember the first time I saw "MIDWAY". It was in a local small town theater. Still is my favorite movie of all time.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to wgs_explorer)
Post #: 12
RE: James Shigeta - 8/15/2014 11:14:31 PM   
wdolson

A few months before Midway came out, some friends of my parents who lived in northern California came back to Los Angeles to visit and we went to the Universal Studios tour with their kids. It was the only time I was ever there. They had various promotional stuff about Midway going on and some of the ship models used in filming were floating in a fountain. My parents hated theaters, so they never took me (they allowed me to go with just friends starting about age 8), but my father made an exception with this movie. I think it's the only movie I ever saw in a theater with my father.

I still remember they had a Woody Woodpecker cartoon before the movie. Cartoons were getting rare in movies by then.

My father found the Sensaround annoying, but otherwise liked the movie, which was a rare thing, he was always critical of war movies. I recall they re-released the movie without the Sensaround a few months later. I think some theaters had some structural problems with it.

My father is still very critical of war movies from the 40s and 50s. He tells a story of when he was living in a boarding house in the late 40s and the movie Fighter Squadron came out. The son of the house's owner went to see it and when he came back he asked my father why it took the US so long to defeat the Germans. My father pointed out that if the real Germans were as bad as Warner Brothers, the war would have been over much quicker.

I guess I'm lucky that my father is still around and still in relatively good health at 94. He now lives alone in a 2600 sf house and he has all his faculties.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 13
RE: James Shigeta - 8/16/2014 1:30:11 AM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

A few months before Midway came out, some friends of my parents who lived in northern California came back to Los Angeles to visit and we went to the Universal Studios tour with their kids. It was the only time I was ever there. They had various promotional stuff about Midway going on and some of the ship models used in filming were floating in a fountain. My parents hated theaters, so they never took me (they allowed me to go with just friends starting about age 8), but my father made an exception with this movie. I think it's the only movie I ever saw in a theater with my father.

I still remember they had a Woody Woodpecker cartoon before the movie. Cartoons were getting rare in movies by then.

My father found the Sensaround annoying, but otherwise liked the movie, which was a rare thing, he was always critical of war movies. I recall they re-released the movie without the Sensaround a few months later. I think some theaters had some structural problems with it.

My father is still very critical of war movies from the 40s and 50s. He tells a story of when he was living in a boarding house in the late 40s and the movie Fighter Squadron came out. The son of the house's owner went to see it and when he came back he asked my father why it took the US so long to defeat the Germans. My father pointed out that if the real Germans were as bad as Warner Brothers, the war would have been over much quicker.

I guess I'm lucky that my father is still around and still in relatively good health at 94. He now lives alone in a 2600 sf house and he has all his faculties.

Bill

Hi Bill. Is your father a WW2 veteran?

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> James Shigeta Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI