Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Human civilizations mod?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Human civilizations mod? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Human civilizations mod? - 6/17/2014 5:33:50 PM   
hellfish6

I've done a quick look/search but didn't find anything. Has anyone made a mod for human civilizations, as opposed to aliens? Like China, USA, Russia, Brazil, UN, etc?

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 6/17/2014 5:59:21 PM   
Locarnus

Nope, certainly not that I m aware of and I havent heard of anyone thinking about it.
Sounds interesting.

You would need to balance the colonization, though.
The distribution of planettypes is hardcoded, so setting them all to continental produces problems in terms of available planets.
And from an immersion point of view, giving them different starting colonization techs sounds problematic as well.

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 2
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 6/17/2014 6:41:51 PM   
moonraker65

This sounds a little like SMAC which is still a good game for its time. Could be workable

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 3
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 6/17/2014 8:07:56 PM   
SVWGiant

If you want to play with these countries or others, than play Civ4 Mod Final Frontier. I think all humankind is good presented in one human civ.

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 4
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 6/17/2014 8:37:02 PM   
Solarius Scorch

Well, technically two civs can have the same homeworld, no? :)

Still, I think a looser idea of a galaxy where all races are human is fun. Species would represent nations, while race families would represent civilizations (in a loose sense), I guess?

Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

(in reply to SVWGiant)
Post #: 5
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 6/17/2014 9:47:06 PM   
hellfish6

I was thinking species could be nations, and race families religions.

I haven't played enough to know exactly how the game works or what it's capable of, but could you create ~12 civs in one starting system/homeworld? Maybe group a bunch of planets/moons in close orbit to simulate Earth and the playable nations?

(in reply to Solarius Scorch)
Post #: 6
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 6/17/2014 11:48:41 PM   
Simulation01

I was working on something like this but, it was to be more of an alternate history/future mod. Races were to be the US, Soviet Union, Nazi's, Japan, China, EU or UN, and maybe an Arab/Muslim civ or race. I have become distracted lately however with another project where I have added the Zerg as a playable race. The ships would be edited versions of several ship sets that have already been released.

Attachment (1)

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 7
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 6/18/2014 6:15:40 PM   
DeadlyShoe

you might also checkout project ironclads for starsector.

quote:

You would need to balance the colonization, though.
The distribution of planettypes is hardcoded, so setting them all to continental produces problems in terms of available planets.
And from an immersion point of view, giving them different starting colonization techs sounds problematic as well.

doing this proper would probably necessitate a custom modded galaxy anyway.

quote:

I haven't played enough to know exactly how the game works or what it's capable of, but could you create ~12 civs in one starting system/homeworld? Maybe group a bunch of planets/moons in close orbit to simulate Earth and the playable nations?

The game doesn't really support this.

Even if you futzed something together everyone would be at war pretty quick from coveting penalties.

The best way would probably be setting up the Earth/UN as a Mechanoids style neutral empire, representing a 'Treaty of Sol' DMZ. The empire homeworlds would represent their 'crown jewel' colonies.

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 8
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 7/27/2014 3:56:55 PM   
auryx

I like this idea too. I've traditionally shied away from settings that are too alien-heavy. Was thinking of a setting a bit like Transhuman Space, for example, only on a galactic scale.

auryx

(in reply to DeadlyShoe)
Post #: 9
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 7/28/2014 4:13:17 AM   
llanite_slith

I've recently returned to DW and have been having many of the same thoughts:
A scenario for human civilizations only. Perhaps Earth is destroyed early in the interstellar colonization period. Colonies are a mix - some can't sustain themselves and die out (leaving ruins with potential tech or resources). Pirates are human crewed interstellar ships - remnants of the old Imperial fleets. Their crews can no longer fix their hyperdrives or make new ones, so they dominate or trade with the remaining colonies nearby. Faction colonies retain their national or corporate roots as identities (US, UN, MegaCorps, China, Europe, etc.)

The tech tree would require some re-working - parallel paths for all colonizing techs, but that would be doable.

(in reply to auryx)
Post #: 10
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 7/28/2014 5:37:47 PM   
ParagonExile

Human Revolution

(in reply to llanite_slith)
Post #: 11
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 7/28/2014 9:01:04 PM   
auryx

Thanks ParagonExile - I'll try it out!

auryx

(in reply to ParagonExile)
Post #: 12
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 7/28/2014 9:02:09 PM   
ParagonExile

Yeah, it adds five human races to the current mix. I like it, and I use three of the images for myself as well :D

They're not based on nations or alliances, but more on an ideology.

(in reply to auryx)
Post #: 13
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 8/15/2014 5:32:12 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

I've done a quick look/search but didn't find anything. Has anyone made a mod for human civilizations, as opposed to aliens? Like China, USA, Russia, Brazil, UN, etc?

Thanks

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3272873

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 14
RE: Human civilizations mod? - 8/16/2014 12:46:09 AM   
WaflHead

Sounds like a great idea, the colonization problem is interesting, you could make USA Continental, Brazil Forest, Iceland Volcanic, Egypt Desert, United Kingdom Ocean, etc.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Human civilizations mod? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI