Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What is the real status of TOAW?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: What is the real status of TOAW? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 7/18/2014 12:34:25 AM   
Grognard

quote:

The FitE2 team is doing just that. There's an AAR about the beta-testing of FitE2, Trooper.

Klink, Oberst

Just read (both of) the AAR's - pretty close mirror of the DNO game I'm playing now (vs Elmer/3XBb). To be clear - FITE 2 raises the unit limit above 2,000 per side ? There must be a different *.exe - yes? What other code changes are there ?

Thanks for the heads up

Find 'em, Fix 'em, & Kill 'em

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 31
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 7/18/2014 9:19:07 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognard

quote:

The FitE2 team is doing just that. There's an AAR about the beta-testing of FitE2, Trooper.

Klink, Oberst

Just read (both of) the AAR's - pretty close mirror of the DNO game I'm playing now (vs Elmer/3XBb). To be clear - FITE 2 raises the unit limit above 2,000 per side ? There must be a different *.exe - yes? What other code changes are there ?

Thanks for the heads up
FitE2 uses the beta-in-development, not the latest official/un-official (AAA/ignore losses fix) version.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 32
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 7/23/2014 4:10:57 AM   
Numdydar

It does seem odd that all these promises about updates and what is going on and then nothing.

Nothing said about the next patch although is was stated as 'soon' a while ago. Then it seemed like a decision was made 'Well instead of a patch, lets make a whole new game!'. Again with no updates.

The annoying thing is apparently 'some' people have access to an update of some kind while us 'normal' people are left out. So it would be REALLY nice for SOMEONE with authority (Erik) to break the 'cone of silence' and provide something.

1. Is there going to be a new patch and when? Just saying sometime this year would be better than nothing.
2. Regardless of 1, is a TOAW IV being developed? Again releasing sometime next year is fine as well.

If there is some issue with 1 and/or 2 just tell us for God's sake. Just say no new patch this year or IV is not being developed, etc. We can handle it I just do not understand why this silence after all the talk. It would have been better not to say a damn thing in the first place.

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 7/23/2014 11:10:51 PM >

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 33
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 7/23/2014 2:37:08 PM   
pz501

This was exactly my point when I began this thread....many new and huge scenarios being worked on (complete with AARs) that only a few people having the beta updates can work with.

Since everything is still "beta", I can understand why no release of a patch so far, but at what point does beta testing end? It's been a VERY long time. Some have suggested a public beta. Might not be a bad idea, but I've got a feeling that's never going to happen.

As far as a "TOAW IV" or whatever it's supposed to be called, we only (we being the masses) have rumors thus far.

Seems to me that someone must know something, but probably due to NDA's can't discuss it.

I wish Matrix would just officially say something other than "soon", even if it's to announce the end of TOAW. I don't see that happening either.

Just look at the status of "Combined Arms" (Battlefields). I think that's where we're at now with TOAW.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

It does seem odd that all these promises about updates and what is going on and then nothing.

Nothing said about the next patch although is was stated as 'soon' a while ago. Then it seemed like a decision was made 'Well instead of a patch, lets make a whole new game!'. Again with no updates.

The annoying thing is apparently 'some' people have access to an update of some kind while us 'normal' people are left out. So it would be REALLY nice for SOMEONE with authority (Eric) to break the 'cone of silence' and provide something.

1. Is there going to be a new patch and when? Just saying sometime this year would be better than nothing.
2. Regardless of 1, is a TOAW IV being developed? Again releasing sometime next year is fine as well.

If there is some issue with 1 and/or 2 just tell us for God's sake. Just say no new patch this year or IV is not being developed, etc. We can handle it I just do not understand why this silence after all the talk. It would have been better not to say a damn thing in the first place.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 34
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 7/24/2014 9:35:04 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: pz501
Just look at the status of "Combined Arms" (Battlefields). I think that's where we're at now with TOAW

To be fair, TOAW is at least a decade away from being in the same status a Combines Arms: World War II, the game formerly known as Battlefields, the game formerly known as Battleline. And that is not even mentioning the fact that we have a perfectly good working game now.

I understand that the silence is disconcerting. But there is no evidence that TOAW has been abandoned and every evidence that it has not.

Have a little faith.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 35
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 7/24/2014 1:33:47 PM   
Lobster

quote:

The annoying thing is apparently 'some' people have access to an update of some kind while us 'normal' people are left out. So it would be REALLY nice for SOMEONE with authority (Erik) to break the 'cone of silence' and provide something.

I don't recall any promises, only statements and no rock solid release date of any kind. In game company language 'soon' means sometime in the future, possibly the same year as soon was mentioned, more likely in the same decade.

Also, no one said ''Well instead of a patch, lets make a whole new game!'.' nor was it even alluded to. If you would bother to read the threads about that you would know.

The 'some people' that you mention are people working on scenarios that will MOST LIKELY be part of the release. Most likely is emphasized because nothing is written in stone. These people are also 'normal' people and you insult them and their dedication to the game by insinuating that they are somehow not normal.

In answer to your questions #1 and #2, get off your lazy *** and look and read some threads where your questions will be answered. As for me I expect something to be released sometime in the future. Don't know when but eventually.

I do have to agree with all of the moaners and groaners on one point, communication is abysmal. It would be nice if it were like the John Tiller's Campaign Series forum where there is actually a developer's diary instead of the complete lack of information we now have. But then that would be entirely up to Ralph Trick. Perhaps he simply does not have the time.

One more thing. Someone totally unrelated to a game company using their own free time to HACK an executable so it works relatively properly is a far cry from what should be considered a working product. It was a commendable piece of work for certain.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 36
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/13/2014 8:04:02 PM   
Numdydar

So you insult me instead. Nice.

How about this quote? this sure seems like a promise to me. This was dated Nov of 2013 btw and yet no updates on this?

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

Patch 3.5 is being actively developed again. We're making some good progress, and I'm hoping we can release it in the January-March time frame.

Two big items are a more complete Naval model and more units, etc. to allow for larger map sizes.

More detail will follow.

Then we have the below. Also dated Nov 2013. About the same time as the note above. So one could make the assumption that more time is being spent on a new version versus a patch. Since as you have stated, there are only a few people working on this. So which are they working the patch or a new game?

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

We're starting the initial planning for 4.0. I plan to start actively developing it after the 3.5 patch has been released. The plan right now is October 2014, but since we are still in the planning stages, that is very tentative, and is more of something to measure progress against than something realistic. It could easily slip either way.

I'm sure Bob has a complete list of engine changes he wants to do.

One thing I want to do is to rewrite the UI to allow for a more modern look and feel. The actual map look and operation will stay similar, but I want to be able to do things like pin dialogs on one side, resize the minimap, speed up everything. I also want to allow for smooth zooming or at least a much faster zooming between levels. Modern machines have a lot of memory, and some of that can be traded for speed.

Oh, yes, it's also going to need other changes to allow someone to actually play a huge scenario like Fire in the East in one lifetime! A lot of what I've done so far has been more of a let's see what I can do without a major rewrite and not breaking anything. For 4.0, I want to do a larger rewrite to make the UI more consistent and simpler to learn.

Ralph

Lastly it is obvious I AM reading the threads here and I have not found any answers. So maybe you should quote some threads that have these 'answers' you allude to. If you are referring to the ones above, these do not constitute what I would consider answers.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 37
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/13/2014 9:37:13 PM   
Lobster

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had a reading comprehension problem. The word hoping does not constitute a promise. Telling someone something may happen but it could slip either way also does not constitute a promise to have something by a particular date. Simply put, no promises were made. I don't see any reason to carry on a useless and pointless conversation. I'm done.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 38
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/14/2014 5:40:45 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had a reading comprehension problem. The word hoping does not constitute a promise. Telling someone something may happen but it could slip either way also does not constitute a promise to have something by a particular date. Simply put, no promises were made. I don't see any reason to carry on a useless and pointless conversation. I'm done.

Huh? I think that when the devs finally deigned to provide some information about a new patch and 4.0, and then haven't provided any additional information whatsoever after nine months, it is reasonable for customers to ask what is going on.

Whatever the reasons, excuses, etc. I'm gradually losing interest any remaining interest in this one.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 39
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/14/2014 5:45:55 AM   
Numdydar

So I have gotten off my lazy you know what and provided you with quotes about what people actually have said. Since you can't (or are unwilling) to do the same you have to continue to be insulting.

I am sorry that you feel that someone that says Jan - Mar (of 2013) and then complete silence for over 9 months is Ok. I do not. If I told my boss I would likely have something done by a certain date and then never updated them about what was going on, I would not have a job for very long. While I certainly am not the TOW III's devs boss in any way, I do think what is going on here is unacceptable and people should be aware of it.

Why you think they should be given a pass for this behavior is unknown, but considering it would take 5-10 mins of someone's time to post some info, I find it hard to believe what people here are asking for is so burdensome.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 40
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/14/2014 7:59:31 AM   
76mm

+1000

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 41
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/14/2014 8:19:05 AM   
SMK-at-work

Get over it - pissing off the writers isn't going to make anything better!

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 42
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/14/2014 10:50:07 AM   
fogger

Have a look at Larry's last post on the tread were's larry.

"I'm still playing mostly testing the newest beta versions and therefore
posting in the private development forum ....."

A couple of months ago I was also testing FITE2 with the new 3.6 with larry and found a couple of bugs. I have had to stop because MY BOSS does not pay me to play TOAW and for the past 2 months I have been working 6 1/2 days per week.

Now I know things that you do not but I cannot post here. I cannot tell you when 3.6 will be released nor can i tell you when TOAW 4 will be released but they are being worked upon.

YES an update by the people working on them would be nice. But there maybe reasons why they cannot post an update.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 43
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/14/2014 1:42:47 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger
A couple of months ago I was also testing FITE2 with the new 3.6 with larry and found a couple of bugs. I have had to stop because MY BOSS does not pay me to play TOAW and for the past 2 months I have been working 6 1/2 days per week.

So, people are all worked up about patch 3.5 and apparently there's already 3.6 being tested... Has 3.5 missed customers entirely and was just for the selected few?

Anyway, the point being made by some people is that, irrespective of wargames being a niche market, they are still a business for Matrix. People are right that Matrix really does not have to provide a scooby of information about what they are doing. They are a privately owned company, hence they have no need to answer their customer base, only their owners.

But you have got to wonder, is this the best policy for establishing relationships with your customer base?

If the projected customer base for TOAW is so insignificant that is barely worthwhile an update progress (like the Combined Arms customer base), then its safe to said there is little point in continuing the development. Because, lets face it. The vast majority of TOAW 4 buyers will be TOAW 3 owners and if the little base of players that exists is alienated, then you just lost a good chunk of potential buyers for the game you are (?) developing.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 44
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/14/2014 1:54:47 PM   
pz501

Well, it looks to me from everything that I've read so far that TOAW is still being worked on, but at a very, very low level of priority (and slowly).

I can't really fault anyone for posting AAR's using versions that only a few have access to, since it looks like it's the only source of limited information (and hope) that we have, and most likely, it's going to stay that way.

I'll check in every now and then to see what's going on, but I suspect not much is going to happen, unless one day Matrix speaks up with a big announcement. That's going to happen on their timetable, and no one else's.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 45
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/14/2014 2:44:56 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger

So, people are all worked up about patch 3.5 and apparently there's already 3.6 being tested... Has 3.5 missed customers entirely and was just for the selected few?

Anyway, the point being made by some people is that, irrespective of wargames being a niche market, they are still a business for Matrix. People are right that Matrix really does not have to provide a scooby of information about what they are doing. They are a privately owned company, hence they have no need to answer their customer base, only their owners.

But you have got to wonder, is this the best policy for establishing relationships with your customer base?

If the projected customer base for TOAW is so insignificant that is barely worthwhile an update progress (like the Combined Arms customer base), then its safe to said there is little point in continuing the development. Because, lets face it. The vast majority of TOAW 4 buyers will be TOAW 3 owners and if the little base of players that exists is alienated, then you just lost a good chunk of potential buyers for the game you are (?) developing.

Judging by other games being upgraded by different developers I think it is safe to say it is entirely within the dev's realm to do a dev's diary such as the one done for John Tiller's Campaign Series. Whether or not Ralph wants to would appear to be up to him. Perhaps he simply does not have the time. Maybe he could ask one of the testers to do this? I don't know. What I do know from reading this forum is that one or more projects are moving forward and will eventually reach completion.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 46
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/14/2014 10:56:47 PM   
newtigersqn

quote:

What I do know from reading this forum is that one or more projects are moving forward and will eventually reach completion.

That may be, but it appears to be moving at a frozen molasses-type pace; with nary a peep over the last 9 months.
Not sure how much reserves of patience are left in the cupboards of the TOAW community.
It would appear those reserves are beginning to wane sharply.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 47
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/15/2014 1:43:25 AM   
Numdydar

+1

The sun will eventually go nova too. So it all depends what time scale 'eventually' means for this product. If their version of eventually is greater than the eventual end of my life, then ...

(in reply to newtigersqn)
Post #: 48
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/15/2014 7:41:03 AM   
SMK-at-work

Not mine - it's a good game now and I look forward to it getting better - regardless of the variety of sticky sweet stuff being mentioned.

If you don't want to play it now then feel free to sod off until there is some news - that way you won't get pissed off, and you won't piss anyone else off.

(in reply to newtigersqn)
Post #: 49
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/15/2014 5:29:25 PM   
Numdydar

What I am upset about, besides the lack of information, is that some 'special' people have access to a better version than the larger community does.

If you look at the World in Flames forum, you do not see people from the beta team posting AARs, etc. about all the cool things they can do with versions of the game that only they have access to. So either stop posting this crap or give everyone access to the beta (or wherever version this is).

Post #: 50
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/15/2014 7:44:19 PM   
pz501

I can see where that would be some cause for being upset. However, look at it this way: if a small group of people want to tinker around with various beta builds and play each other using purely beta material, that's their choice, and I don't take it as a sort of taunt. What I mean is, First, there's no assurance that a new patch, or a new game called TOAW IV, (or 4, or 44, or whatever we call it) is going to get published at all anymore, since the existing info is pretty old. If that is the case, then all of those people's design work is for nothing, and all of the AAR's with pictures won't change it. Second, if anything new DOES get released, then everyone benefits because of a long, slow, and extensive testing process, that should make the entire package bug and problem free, and all of the scenarios fully balanced and tested. (Nothing is ever bug free though.)

In the end, it's completely up to Matrix...it's their product, and their choice as to whether or not they want to have an open beta, make announcements, or just maintain the status-quo. My guess is that things are going to stay the way they are, whether we like it or not.

Just take a look at where TOAW is in the general Forum structure...sort of pushed down towards the bottom, with a whole lot of "older" games, I don't think it gets the interest, or views the "main stream" games do, which might effect Matrix's interest level. Then, there is the fact that TOAW is (or was) being worked on by a part-time coder, and scenario designers. This can be both good and bad. For the good, what has been accomplished for the Tiller Campaign Series stands out. For what's in between, there's TOAW itself. For what didn't work as planned, Grigsby's "Bombing The Reich/Eagle Day" comes to mind. The problem is always real life issues vs enthusiast activity time.

So, once again, it's really up to Matrix as to whether we ever get any definite information at all.
quote:

What I am upset about, besides the lack of information, is that some 'special' people have access to a better version than the larger community does.For my part, I'll keep a lookout, and if something go

If you look at the World in Flames forum, you do not see people from the beta team posting AARs, etc. about all the cool things they can do with versions of the game that only they have access to. So either stop posting this crap or give everyone access to the beta (or wherever version this is).

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 51
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/15/2014 8:27:53 PM   
Werewolf13

quote:

So, once again, it's really up to Matrix as to whether we ever get any definite information at all.

Well hell - now I feel like an old eskimo on the ice pack waving goodbye to my children and grandchildren.

NOTE: to the anthropologcally challenged: eskimoes don't wait for their old people to die. Once they've used up their usefulness they are left to die as the group moves on. It's what they do. It's who they are.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 52
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/15/2014 9:16:47 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

NOTE: to the anthropologcally challenged: eskimoes don't wait for their old people to die. Once they've used up their usefulness they are left to die as the group moves on. It's what they do. It's who they are.

Can't resist;

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2160/did-eskimos-put-their-elderly-on-ice-floes-to-die

It's not, and hasn't been for 75 years.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 53
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/15/2014 10:15:36 PM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

What I am upset about, besides the lack of information, is that some 'special' people have access to a better version than the larger community does.

I se this in all sorts of games from various publishers - they might be called snippets or teasers, and closed test groups are hardly new, and generally people are happy to know that there are updates in hand.

So I completely reject your position - I find it whiny and pathetic.

I am delighted to see progress reports and test AAR's - please keep them up!

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 54
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/16/2014 12:20:26 AM   
Werewolf13

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

Can't resist;

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2160/did-eskimos-put-their-elderly-on-ice-floes-to-die

It's not, and hasn't been for 75 years.

Well good - though in historical terms 75 years is just a blink of an eye.

In any event that may mean that there's hope that Matrix has evolved and won't leave us on the ice either.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 55
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/16/2014 12:40:31 AM   
Numdydar

WiF betas did AARs prior to release of the program. And I have no problem with that as there was NO release date set for when the game was to be released. So it was as you say a progress and testing showcase.

The opposite is true here. We have imho what looks like a release date for a patch for an existing game, not a new game, and 9 months later only a few select people have access to it. I have no problem with beta testing going on. I DO have a problem with people showing what a patch (again not a new game) can do that everyone here would like to play with too, even in a beta state. Also wouldn't having MORE people involved in the beta testing be better? More people involved seems to work well for a lot of other games. So why not this one?

Especially since the current patch's EXE had to hacked by a player just to fix a major issue with the game engine. Still no 'official' fix for that either. And you think I am whiny and pathetic because I am highlighting this as an issue? I find it pretty amazing that you seem to think it is ok behavior for a player to hack the EXE to fix an issue, an alluded to patch that is 6 months overdue, and absolutely NO information from anyone for 9 months. I do NOT find this behavior acceptable. So I will continue to bring this up. Whiny and pathetically or not.

Post #: 56
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/16/2014 12:51:11 PM   
Magpius

+1

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 57
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/16/2014 1:06:52 PM   
Lobster

Example of a Matrix release date: http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1491/Battle.Academy.2.gets.a.release.date!

Now please stop feeding the troll.

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 58
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/16/2014 4:02:43 PM   
pz501

quote:

Example of a Matrix release date: http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1491/Battle.Academy.2.gets.a.release.date!

Now please stop feeding the troll.

I'll admit to not being the sharpest pencil in the pack, and maybe I'm not quite comprehending things, but the closest I can find for TOAW are this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1574544 (9-27-07, Not quite 7 years ago. This concerns the 3.2 patch though, NOT 3.4 - couldn't find that, but I'll bet I overlooked it.)

And this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3462323 (11-9-13, Not quite 9 months ago.)

And this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3462323&mpage=2&key= (See Post #50, 6-13-14, 3 days short of 2 months ago.)

And then there's this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3462345 (11-9-13, Also not quite 9 months ago.)

Only the first example matches that announcement link that I can see, the others are statements regarding developments and in the case of the second example, a sort of semi-promise to tell us something soon.

Personally I don't think anyone is being a troll here at all. Some people are simply more outspoken than others. That doesn't make ANYBODY who's commented in this thread (a) stupid, (b) exclusively right, or (c) exclusively wrong.

Calling names, and exchanging insults does nothing at all to further the common goal, which I thought was to see if we can maybe get some official word about what's going on with TOAW.

Remember what Ben Franklin said about hanging together or hanging separately. Let's not damage our own cause. If we're civil and respectful to each other, it just might encourage a response from Matrix if someone in authority reads the thread.

< Message edited by pz501 -- 8/16/2014 5:20:49 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 59
RE: What is the real status of TOAW? - 8/16/2014 4:50:17 PM   
Werewolf13

We live in a capitalist economy (a good thing).

Matrix must play by the rules to survive.

This is what it is all about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTFJocQBLyE

Michael Andress

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: What is the real status of TOAW? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI