Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Axis war diary

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Axis war diary Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 4:11:53 PM   
Richard III

Excellent thread ! very significant improvement in morale & experience in the fighter groups with this setup.

Hope you extend this report.

Very much look forward to your approach to dealing with L-grad and opening the road axis Borisov - Vitebsk - Smollensk - Moscow before T 18.
My games ( and perhaps others) always break down time wise at T4 - 6 if he puts up an intelligent layered defense, with a few good die rolls, in the North and Center.

Great AAR report, thank you !

“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 31
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 5:02:03 PM   
Ketza

quote:

ORIGINAL: DTurtle

This is absolutely great.

If you use PNGs for the screen shots, then writing will be very clear and easy to read.

PNG?

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 32
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 5:03:55 PM   
Ketza

Thanks for all the positive comments. Like I said I am no expert but if anyone learns a thing or two then great!

Oh and Hartwig when I see a post from you I think of Germany!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 33
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 5:39:40 PM   
Northern Star

Did you bomb the airbases near Vitebsk and Smolensk?
How many planes did you destroy so far?

I destroyed 5124 planes so far with 1.05 and I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't manage to bomb the furthest airbases in the center!

P.S. Your AAR is great! I'm very curious to read how you deal with multilayer defenses

< Message edited by Northern Star -- 11/5/2011 5:40:47 PM >

War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 34
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 5:54:32 PM   
larryfulkerson

Great AAR.  I'm wondering how you calculate the MP's when you move an HQ unit as far as it will go and still be able to do a HQ build-up.

(in reply to Northern Star)
Post #: 35
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 5:57:09 PM   
Ketza

No airbase bombing yet. That will take place after initial land battles and there is a ways to go. I am hoping to do 16th army moves soon.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 36
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 6:02:16 PM   
Ketza

16th army - Brushing aside the Soviets in front of 16th army requires the reserve corps from 9th army the 23rd.

In the screenshot I have also repaired rails using FBD 4.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 11/5/2011 6:13:33 PM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 37
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 6:02:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ketza dude:  I really appreciate your effort here.  This AAR has been an eye opener for me.  As an example.......me, I would have run the air base bombings first and THEN the land combat.  I had no idea I was doing it backward all this time.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 38
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 6:05:06 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Excellent thread ! very significant improvement in morale & experience in the fighter groups with this setup.

Very much look forward to your approach to dealing with L-grad and opening the road axis Borisov - Vitebsk - Smollensk - Moscow before T 18.
My games ( and perhaps others) always break down time wise at T4 - 6 if he puts up an intelligent layered defense, with a few good die rolls, in the North and Center.

I am guessing this happens because of a lack of presser all along front and not planning out Hq-Builds ahead of time.

I am guessing that Ketza's an my approach are very different when it comes to keeping things rolling along from turns 4-6. I probably put in my 2 cents at that point, if thats ok with him.

There are none better when its comes to over all game play as a German then Katza, that I know of that post on the boards.

I have learnt allot from him and picked up a few more little nuggets of gold on this thread.

Great thread.

Pelton

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 39
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 6:15:18 PM   
Ketza

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Ketza dude:  I really appreciate your effort here.  This AAR has been an eye opener for me.  As an example.......me, I would have run the air base bombings first and THEN the land combat.  I had no idea I was doing it backward all this time.

You do not do all the land combat first as you shall see. It was an experiment I tried about a month ago and I liked the results.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 40
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 6:19:56 PM   
Ketza

This will be AGN main rail repairs until Pskov. It supports both the Pskov Axis of advance as well as a push to Leningrad via the Narva approach. You may be able to do a little better taking another route but this is the one I typically use.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 41
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 6:23:25 PM   
Ketza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

I am guessing this happens because of a lack of presser all along front and not planning out Hq-Builds ahead of time.

I am guessing that Ketza's an my approach are very different when it comes to keeping things rolling along from turns 4-6. I probably put in my 2 cents at that point, if thats ok with him.

There are none better when its comes to over all game play as a German then Katza, that I know of that post on the boards.

I have learnt allot from him and picked up a few more little nuggets of gold on this thread.

Great thread.

Pelton

Thanks Pelton. I have picked up a great deal from you as well. The idea behind this AAR is to give Axis players pointers so by all means chime in. Likewise if I am doing something that makes no sense Axis players please leave your opinions.

My opponent is an old friend and knows the game will be slow getting started because of the detail in this AAR.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 42
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 6:31:13 PM   
Ketza

23rd Corps results clear the way for 16th Army. One bad rout result most likely saves a Soviet infantry division circled in the corner.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 43
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 7:04:07 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ketza

Thanks for all the positive comments. Like I said I am no expert but if anyone learns a thing or two then great!

Oh and Hartwig when I see a post from you I think of Germany!

quote:

Likewise if I am doing something that makes no sense Axis players please leave your opinions.

I don't see any beer?

< Message edited by Pelton -- 11/5/2011 7:05:01 PM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 44
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 7:31:50 PM   
gingerbread

The beer is in the transparent containers held in the hands. Cans with beer are rather rare in Germany, mostly found in the border shops in the north where danes and swedes buy them.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 45
RE: Axis war diary - 11/5/2011 7:33:50 PM   
CarnageINC

Bravo sir bravo .  A lot like Bletchley Geek's informative AAR, thanks for putting forth such effort and detail in your work, will definitely keep my eye on this one.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 46
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 12:56:20 AM   
invernomuto

Great AAR Ketza, thank you, very useful.

Subscribed!

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 47
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 1:56:30 AM   
Ketza

16th army - Starts with the army reserve division cleaning out the border in front of 3rd PZ group. Next is a bit of a delicate touch trying to get he Soviet tank division at Alytus herded back towards Kaunas.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 11/6/2011 1:57:48 AM >

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 48
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 2:09:30 AM   
Ketza

3rd Panzer infantry - One division from V corps crosses the river and gets behind the 5th Tank division. Another division from VI corps does a deliberate attack. This Soviet unit typically has some strength to it so a retreat result will hopefully result.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 49
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 2:12:38 AM   
Ketza

Success! Now manuever again and a hasty attack across the river to push another hex.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 50
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 2:16:36 AM   
Ketza

Bleh 2 holds across the river so the other division hasty attacks and the 5th is pushed back into the future pocket. The pesky AT unit is shattered with a hasty attack with the last MP of the 26th ID.

Scratch some more trucks and tanks!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ketza -- 11/6/2011 2:17:38 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 51
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 2:29:34 AM   
Ketza

16th army and 3rd Panzer infantry move east. Although its possible to attack more Soviet units our goal here is pocketing and in this area routs can be rather unpredictable and the Soviet units left to attack are all rather brittle.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 52
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 3:02:36 AM   
Ketza

9th army pushes forward with hasty attacks shrinking the future pocket and pushing the Soviets from the border. All of the security divisions are used in attacks as much as possible.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 53
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 3:15:26 AM   
Ketza

4th army whittles at the edges of the future pocket as well. 4th armies divisions are a bit stronger so there are more routs. For the most part however they land in the future pocket areas.

I take the approach of shrinking the future pocket in this area because a good Soviet player can make a "full" pocket last an extra turn in this area. By carefull use of hasty attacks most of the Soviet units will not rout to far.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 54
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 3:19:25 AM   
Ketza

LIII corps will now clear out north of Brest Litovsk. I plan on pocketing the city and not attacking it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 55
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 3:25:18 AM   
Ketza

Tricky moves ahead!

I dont want to rout the tank division that is 0 CV.

I want to save the airfield overrun for a Panzer division.

And of course I want to pocket everything that is routed!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 56
RE: Axis war diary - 11/6/2011 4:37:35 PM   
BleedingOrange

I prioritise my 70 and 85 morale units for attacks in the first turn until they bump up one to get the decreased movement into enemy hexes and then once they do move on to the next unit. I do the same with the allied units at 40 when they first come free. Getting the 40 and 70 units up one can usually be done with one or two successful attacks.

Come back with your shield or on it.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 57
RE: Axis war diary - 8/17/2014 9:24:53 AM   
cato12

great thread, very helpful. just completed my 1st ever turn in gc and destroyed 2200 aircraft with 275 of those air combat kills, dunno if that's good or bad but it sounds about right.

regarding the TOE settings. surely by reducing TOE for all those support units it will make them much weaker and less effective?

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 58
RE: Axis war diary - 8/17/2014 10:46:57 PM   
Griefhead

Wow Ketza, this is a very detailed and informative AAR. I hope you do not grow weary of the task.
I have been away from the game for 9 months and have been catching up on the forums for the last month and played a couple games as SOV. Perhaps after reading more of this post I will attempt the GE side. Thanks for sharing your "secret" GE doctrines.

(in reply to cato12)
Post #: 59
RE: Axis war diary - 8/17/2014 11:06:49 PM   
Ketza

Thanks for the good comments. I am sorry this thread did not continue but my friend was deployed to Japan and we never got back to it.

This thread is quite old and some aspects no longer apply due to patches ect... I plan on doing another when 1.08 comes out and it will reflect some of the changes I use.

I do have an interesting screenshot to post soon.

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Axis war diary Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI