Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Science ships?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Science ships? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Science ships? - 8/22/2014 5:30:50 AM   
Gas Can

So Ive been playing Star Trek mod for a while and it just came to me that all the ships(Galaxy class, etc) are for combat only. If we build science labs into capital ships, will it function like research stations? I could imagine sending deep space exploration ships to study anomalies already!
Post #: 1
RE: Science ships? - 8/22/2014 6:56:12 AM   
Evan85

I'm pretty sure it would work.. though the merits are pretty questionable game-mechanics wise. Science is capped, so it takes a -huge- civilization to be able to benefit from more than 5-6 labs of a kind. Sticking them on ships would result in wasting cash on maintenance. I'd keep to using those on the most defended locations and +research planets for the bonuses.

Though it totally worth a try to see if a ship with labs gives the sci bonus when orbiting such planet. The ability to relocate when attacked or when you find a higher bonus would be invaluable. I'm also unsure if scientist can be sent to those ships. But if yes, my default play-style just evolved.

Other than that, for more trekky feeling, I'd rather try shielding and arming my explorers. They have top-notch scientific equipment by default (resource profile, hehh). But giving them proxy arrays and longrange scanners would almost worth it's cost. And they do what they did in the series - as in wandering alone aimlessly, spreading justice and harmony.

< Message edited by Evan85 -- 8/22/2014 8:00:15 AM >

Why can't I make friends? Only my Nuclear Devastator understands me.

(in reply to Gas Can)
Post #: 2
RE: Science ships? - 8/22/2014 1:01:07 PM   
feelotraveller

You can definitely place research labs on ships and they will function. (There is an old but very funny AAR where it was necessary since the homeworld kept having its spaceport trashed at the beginning of the game.) I'm pretty sure you will get the scientist bonuses as well. But you cannot gather the research bonuses which locations offer with ships...

(in reply to Evan85)
Post #: 3
RE: Science ships? - 8/22/2014 11:31:04 PM   
johanwanderer

We discussed this a while back in either Larry's or Das's series. My idea was to make a resupply ship with labs, then deploy it at the location with science bonus to see if that work. I have not had a chance to test it yet.

The reason to bother with this at all is to try and protect the scientists if/when you're unable to protect research stations.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 4
RE: Science ships? - 8/23/2014 10:40:06 AM   
Hikikomori

Would be nice if this could work, i think lab stations at anomalies are vulnerable and cost quite a lot of cash for maintenance if well protected.

A ship could at least flee.

(in reply to johanwanderer)
Post #: 5
RE: Science ships? - 8/23/2014 5:49:38 PM   
Gas Can

Tested it out, it does work as research station. However in the Research Station tap I also spotted that the "actual research output" is way lower than the "potential/total research out", not sure what that means.

(in reply to Hikikomori)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Science ships? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI