Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

new map: NTC Ft. Irwin

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> new map: NTC Ft. Irwin Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/27/2014 6:44:15 PM   
WildCatNL

(20140823 - Map released)

NTC Central Corridor 199x map for Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm
20140823 - 1.0
ntc_central_corridor_199x.zip, 58MB

The above archive contains a map representing the Central Corridor part of the Fort Irwin National Training Center (NTC), California, USA. The map is intended for use with the Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm game, 2.04 and later.
No scenarios are included, but you are invited to create them.

NTC
The NTC at Fort Irwin, covering 1000+ square miles, is the US Army's premier large scale maneuver training area. Located in the Mojave desert, the NTC offers barren terrain, wadis, mountains and mountain passes. And desert turtles*.
From its activation the early 80's, the NTC has been the (critical) host for many of the army's new weapon systems (M1 Abrams, M2 Bradley, Stryker) and new fighting concepts.

The following books provide great stories (and analysis) about battles "fought" at the NTC:
- Dan Bolger's "Dragons at War: Land Battle in the Desert" (1986, about rotation 1-83), also published as "Dragons at War: 2-34 Infantry in the Mojave",
available cheaply as 2nd hand pocket and as ebook.
- US Army's A. Frame, J.W. Lussier (eds), "66 Stories of Battle Command" (2000, mainly covering rotations of the 90's),
available from: http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/army/66stories.pdf

Map
The map is huge (93x72 hexes - 40x36km), but the NTC is even bigger. The map covers most of the NTC's width: from Alpine Pass and Crash Hill in the Northwest all the way to the Red Pass in the Southeast. It extends beyond the Central Corridor with enough of the Northern and Southern Corridors to offer alternative routes around and into the Central Corridor.
The map might be too large for older hardware to run it smoothly in the Flashpoint Campaigns - I wasn't able to test this.

The map represents the late 80's and the 90's, before the introduction of the (mock) villages. This to match the 80's order-of-battles of the Red Storm game, and to better cover the stories and maneuvers from the "Dragons at War" and the "66 Stories" books.

The map comes with two map graphics:
- plain: elevation color coded hexes (lighter-is-higher), with a sniff of dust, hill shading and contour lines blended in. Active by default upon installation.
- satellite: as the plain map, but with additional (201x) satellite images mixed in.

The elevation in the plain graphics probably is easier to read. However, the satellite graphics offers more insight into the actual terrain, and may reveal many of the frequently traveled routes if you look carefully. It's your choice.

The yellow borders (dashed lines) rendered on the map indicate barriers to vehicles. The barriers aim to prevent units from driving to the top of a mountain, or up the side of a canyon. The barriers make it critical to control key mountain passes in your maneuvers.
Lacking true barriers in Flashpoint Campaigns 2.0x, I've followed up on the developer's suggestion: terrain on the high side of the barriers is first covered with an invisible stream (at the yellow border) and subsequently by "9" mobility restrictions.
Nevertheless, you are able to place units inside these inaccessible areas when designing scenarios. This might be useful to represent dug-in scout teams. (If you allow the unit to move, they might do so but slowly. And if amphibious the unit might even make it off the mountain).

Production
The map has been created based on actual elevation data and (very incomplete) OpenStreetMap data. Using the QGIS tool, elevation data and OpenStreetMap data were read, manually enhanced with roads and urban areas, and rendered as valid input for the FCRS Map Values tool.
From QGIS, also matching hill shades, contour lines and satellite images were exported.

Using a custom tool the .fp9 map file was rendered as a stack of pancakes, mixing in hill shades, contours and satellite image, and topped off with smoothed roads, location labels, the yellow dashed borders, and a 1km grid overlay.

In a last pass in the FCRS Map Values tool, all 6696 hexes were manually assigned appropriate mobility and visibility/cover ratings, by eye- balling the satellite images for these hexes.

For the sake of gameplay, some elevation values deviate from the actual terrain. Elevation color steps are smaller (more accurate) for lower elevation levels, to better capture those parts of the terrain that are accessible to units.
I've also created a set of sunken hexes in the Washboard section to represent the cover (wadis) available there.

Not having visited NTC myself, I'm counting on those members in our community who experienced the NTC to offer corrections.

Revision History
1.0 Initial version (20140823)
Known issues:
- Fort Irwin's urban area covers too much terrain, especially in an '80s setting. I could solve it by rescanning the terrain, but that would reset 6696 visibility values and wipe the road network. Maybe later...
- Desert turtles not included.

Enjoy!

William

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by W1ll14m -- 8/23/2014 9:31:26 PM >

William
On Target Simulations LLC
Post #: 1
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/27/2014 6:53:50 PM   
zakblood

looking good :)

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 2
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/27/2014 8:40:36 PM   
CapnDarwin

William for larger maps you will need to stitch 1 or more hexdarw "maps" together into a larger image file. Our editor for values will work with the larger map. of course you have to hand enter all of the map values.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/27/2014 8:43:06 PM   
CapnDarwin

We have yet to add in a cliff side type terrain edge. We really need to add that to the 2.1 list so maps with those kind of edges can't be moved across.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 4
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/27/2014 9:57:58 PM   
WildCatNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin
William for larger maps you will need to stitch 1 or more hexdarw "maps" together into a larger image file. Our editor for values will work with the larger map. of course you have to hand enter all of the map values.

Thanks for the suggestion. Stitching shouldn't be too much of hassle. I don't expect problems with the Map values editor - it is working fine for me as long as I feed it clean Hexdraw maps.

quote:

We have yet to add in a cliff side type terrain edge. We really need to add that to the 2.1 list so maps with those kind of edges can't be moved across.

Now you mention it, I might be able to block movement across ridges by placing obstacle id's. Or would that solely block non-amphibious units?
Please note that ideally, I'd like to exclude vehicles from entering mountain hexes but allow dismounts to move in and across them. I'm not sure the cliff is allowing dismounts to move across.

William

William

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 5
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/28/2014 12:03:52 AM   
CapnDarwin

We probably need two types of "cliffs". First stops ground vehicles but grunts can cross with a time hit and the second only allowing mountain type troops to traverse ay a time cost.

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 6
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/28/2014 2:44:44 AM   
Elfastball7

quote:

We probably need two types of "cliffs". First stops ground vehicles but grunts can cross with a time hit and the second only allowing mountain type troops to traverse ay a time cost.

I agree. That would be awesome. Austrian/Bavarian Alp combat with West Ger. Gebrigjagers(spelling?). In Sir John Hackett's scenario, WP does invade Austria and from the maps in the 1st edition, it seems like there had to be some sort of mountain combat.

Thanks.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 7
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/28/2014 3:51:36 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elfastball7

... it seems like there had to be some sort of mountain combat.

Thanks.

Only if the Soviets are crazy, would they fight in the Alps, when they can drive across the North German Plains.

I'm not saying they aren't but there better have been a really strong Vodka ration that week!

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/28/2014 4:52:17 AM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Elfastball7)
Post #: 8
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/28/2014 4:44:52 AM   
Elfastball7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elfastball7

... it seems like there had to be some sort of mountain combat.

Thanks.

Only if the Soviets are crazy, would they fight in the Alps, when they can drive across the North German Plains.

I'm not saying they aren't but there better have been a really strong Vodka ration that week!

Good Hunting.

MR

Good point. But IMO, I think it would be fun to abstract/wargame a battle in the mountains/alps in this game. As I stated before, Sir John Hackett has it in his scenario.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 9
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/28/2014 12:09:27 PM   
pzgndr

How about a map for Hohenfels next?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 10
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/28/2014 4:26:25 PM   
Elfastball7

That would be aweseome.

Thanks

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 11
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/28/2014 8:07:42 PM   
DoubleDeuce

A Hohenfels map would be great! Spent many a rotation there in the mid 80's.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 12
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 4/30/2014 3:10:57 AM   
MikeAP

Outstanding work.

My company is preparing for an NTC rotation now.

Also worth mentioning, NTC is now littered with small Iraq style towns and cities. The main city, which is massive, is located on Barstow road intersection, west of Division hill.

< Message edited by MikeAP -- 4/30/2014 4:20:10 AM >

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 13
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/21/2014 11:24:27 PM   
WildCatNL

More progress than fits on a single screen : )

More detail and a finished map will follow soon.

William

p.s. The map should be large enough for Iron Mike Golf to use doctrinal 5-10km distances with his Soviet Forward Security Elements.

Attachment (1)

William

(in reply to MikeAP)
Post #: 14
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/22/2014 12:16:29 AM   
CapnDarwin

That looks awesome.

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 15
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/22/2014 3:26:00 AM   
cbelva

Ok, I knew that this was going to happen. In fact I warned Rob and Jim about this before we released FPC. Once people realized how easy it is to make maps and the fact that you are not limited to the style of map, we were going to see some creative maps. Maps that would leave our pitiful efforts in the dust.

The beauty of this system is that it allows this. You are not limited to our art or style. Yes, we know our maps are not the prettiest. We went for function ability. Yes we know that some of you hate our maps. None of us are graphically talented. We understand that. We want to improve the look of our maps as we move forward. What that will look like, we don't know yet. But I knew we would have talented people who are not doing our work for us, but would be adding to an already great system.

I have only the following to say to W1ll14m and Plodder....

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 16
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/22/2014 3:49:23 AM   
budd

that is pretty awesome....wow.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 17
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/22/2014 3:52:17 AM   
Plodder

That is one seriously impressive map William, those contour's are superb. How did you get them? GIS data?

< Message edited by The Plodder -- 8/22/2014 4:59:48 AM >

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 18
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/22/2014 7:05:53 AM   
MikeGER

stunned

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 19
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/22/2014 11:36:36 AM   
Jamm

Looks good.
Sat map overlay?

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-works/669418463128598?ref=bookmarks

(in reply to MikeGER)
Post #: 20
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/22/2014 12:51:52 PM   
CapnDarwin

Fixed/scripted weather for a scenario will be in 2.1. You can already change out the weather art shown in the info panel. It would change for all scenarios played because you would be swapping it out. Refer to Mod Guide 3 to see the particular specifications of the art.

(in reply to Jamm)
Post #: 21
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/22/2014 6:14:27 PM   
WildCatNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jamm
Looks good.
Sat map overlay?

Sat map comes standard on this one, as an alternative "skin".

With such an expansive piece of featureless terrain (the map is 93x72 hexes - 40x36km), the terrain needs some kind of texture to help you understand where you are when panning and zooming. So I set out to blend in satellite data from the start. The last couple of days, however, the the version with just hill shading and contours started to look better in my eyes (since reading elevation is easier). But there's no accounting for taste.

The nice thing about the sat map is seeing the commonly traveled tracks and trails on the ground. If I've done my homework correctly, they should match with the passes and accessible areas.

The yellow borders painted in on both versions indicate barriers to vehicles. The barriers aim to prevent units from simply driving to the top of a mountain, or up the side of a canyon, thereby making control of the mountain passes critical.
Lacking true barriers in FC 2.0, I've followed up on Capn Darwin suggestion: terrain on the high side of the barriers is first covered with an invisible stream (at the yellow border) and subsequently by "9" mobility restrictions. It seems to work reasonably well (and, anyhow, is the best I can do right now).

William

Attachment (1)

William

(in reply to Jamm)
Post #: 22
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/22/2014 11:00:50 PM   
Phoenix100

It really is superb. Can you not do one of the German maps like that also - just to see how it would look?

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 23
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/23/2014 10:44:37 AM   
MikeGER

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

It really is superb. Can you not do one of the German maps like that also - just to see how it would look?

+1 please

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 24
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/23/2014 11:16:32 AM   
Tazak

Really like these maps, plenty of scope for scenarios (would you mind if I looked at using them - credited ofc)

Also you might want to look at BATUS - in Canada in the area north of a town called 'medicine hat' (I kid you not!), massive to us Brits as its the size of wales (about 1/4 of the British Isle landmass)

AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO

(in reply to MikeGER)
Post #: 25
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/23/2014 2:42:34 PM   
Mad Russian

Not sure your computer is strong enough to run units on a map half the size of Wales!!

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Tazak)
Post #: 26
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/23/2014 2:59:10 PM   
IronMikeGolf

All you need now are the IVLs. (just kidding)

Wonderful work and I'll get them just to look at for nostalgia's sake.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Post #: 27
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/23/2014 3:00:10 PM   
Tazak

not sure anyone is daft enough to map all of wales

AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO

Post #: 28
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/23/2014 8:28:59 PM   
WildCatNL

I just released the map (58MB zip file including both plain and satellite graphics - the maps is as large as four normal maps). See first post. The map comes without scenarios; I look forward to what you can do with it.

The (yellow) barriers occasionally seem to be traversed by (non-amphibious) support units. I've had a battery of M109 bridge into "inaccessible" mountain terrain, and an Soviet Company HQ. It would be nice to prevent this, but there's little I can do about it.

Enjoy,

William

< Message edited by W1ll14m -- 8/23/2014 9:33:15 PM >

William

(in reply to Tazak)
Post #: 29
RE: new map: NTC Ft. Irwin - 8/26/2014 10:58:35 AM   
TAKODA

I'm downloading this immediately, whilst drooling. Thanks for sharing.

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> new map: NTC Ft. Irwin Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI