Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stopping upgrade of design...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Stopping upgrade of design... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stopping upgrade of design... - 8/25/2014 3:30:03 PM   
MikeSF

I know you can stop the upgrade of ALL designs, but I thought I could just prevent a few things. In the design screen there is a "Default Retrofit Stance" I changed it from auto, and figured that would be the end of that. Sometime later sure enough there was a new design. Now being as the stations/ships themselves don't retofit the actual object unless I do it, I'm a bit confused. A broken feature? Something that was overridden by another choice elsewhere?

Why do I care? Well I'm starting a game, with zero pirates, zero other colonies, return on the Shakturi type scenario. The background for my little play thing is that the Shakturi wiped out all the other races, the only race left in the entire galaxy is my race, plus whatever other races stuck on backward planets. Now I need to rebuild my empire and crush the Shakturi upon their return (which luckily I can control since I don't have any pesky AI civilizations uncovering things that should not be explored!)

However I've noticed a problem early on, is that I can literally get stuck with not enough resources. And since there's no smugglers (pirates) and no one to trade with, there's no way to advance. I thought I could freeze the design and simply make it a stripped down version of mining/research stations (no worries about them getting blown up after all!) and go from there, but nope they changed on me. I got around this by not having the designs upgraded until I was sure I had supplies for everything that was necessary, but still it was a bit of a pain.
Post #: 1
RE: Stopping upgrade of design... - 8/25/2014 4:03:33 PM   
Aeson

quote:

Sometime later sure enough there was a new design. Now being as the stations/ships themselves don't retofit the actual object unless I do it, I'm a bit confused.

Since you turned off automatic retrofits, this is working as intended. The automatic versus manual retrofit sets whether or not existing vessels of this class are updated to the latest design within the role automatically as new designs become available, not whether or not new designs in that role are created. If you wanted to prevent new designs from being created for that role, you need to change the upgrade setting to manual. Designs are upgraded, ships and stations are retrofitted.

If you're running out of resources, perhaps you're expanding too quickly? Prioritizing the wrong kinds of mines? Not allowing enough time to pass to allow the private sector to distribute resources to the places you need them?

(in reply to MikeSF)
Post #: 2
RE: Stopping upgrade of design... - 8/25/2014 4:15:45 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

However I've noticed a problem early on, is that I can literally get stuck with not enough resources. And since there's no smugglers (pirates) and no one to trade with, there's no way to advance.

Your mining ships will get you what you need... eventually.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 3
RE: Stopping upgrade of design... - 8/25/2014 11:02:04 PM   
MikeSF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aeson

quote:

Sometime later sure enough there was a new design. Now being as the stations/ships themselves don't retofit the actual object unless I do it, I'm a bit confused.

Since you turned off automatic retrofits, this is working as intended. The automatic versus manual retrofit sets whether or not existing vessels of this class are updated to the latest design within the role automatically as new designs become available, not whether or not new designs in that role are created. If you wanted to prevent new designs from being created for that role, you need to change the upgrade setting to manual. Designs are upgraded, ships and stations are retrofitted.

Ah gotcha, I never have auto-retrofit as a global setting on, so I guess that's why that confused me a bit.

quote:

If you're running out of resources, perhaps you're expanding too quickly? Prioritizing the wrong kinds of mines? Not allowing enough time to pass to allow the private sector to distribute resources to the places you need them?

Well I was playing as the as a research heavy technocracy and research costs were low, so before I knew it I had tier 6/7 technology which used some good that was not available to me and wasn't even in my home system.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Stopping upgrade of design... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI