Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

quick questions..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> quick questions.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
quick questions.. - 8/28/2014 2:06:59 PM   
twinkypillow

Hi all,

Been playin with the latest update (.8) and I still see some really funny things..

1. Is it normal for automated fleets to suddenly switch their home base to a gas mining station when I originally assigned them to a planet?

2. Does the amount of stockpiling resources the freighters bring change when putting small/meduim/large spaceports on planets?

3. When there isn't many resources around a planet and you want to really increase the population, is there anything else to do besides changing the tax down to 0%? I made a small space port far out for a military fixing situation but the build rate is so slow I need more population to increase it..

thanks

< Message edited by pumkinfacer22 -- 8/28/2014 3:09:45 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: quick questions.. - 8/28/2014 7:13:57 PM   
fruitgnome

I mean a recreation center helps on space port. And wonders that give + development for colony.

(in reply to twinkypillow)
Post #: 2
RE: quick questions.. - 8/28/2014 10:08:33 PM   
Aeson

quote:

1. Is it normal for automated fleets to suddenly switch their home base to a gas mining station when I originally assigned them to a planet?

If you have Fleet Automation set in Empire Policies, then yes, it's normal for automated fleets to switch their home bases to random other points in your empire. If you don't have Fleet Automation set in Empire Policies, then this would be a bug. I personally would strongly recommend taking as much of the computer's fleet management authority away from it as possible; setting fleet formation and management to full manual and giving the fleet a home base and automation settings works and keeps the fleet where you told it to go.

quote:

2. Does the amount of stockpiling resources the freighters bring change when putting small/meduim/large spaceports on planets?

If I am not mistaken, the size and priority of a colony's resource stockpile is related to the size of the spaceport at the colony. However, I don't believe that this significantly affects the size of the cargo loads carried by freighters to the spaceport except possibly when there is a severe shortage at the location. Moreover, larger numbers of spaceports means more stockpiles that the freighters have to balance and distribute resources between, which means that some of your freighter time is going to be expended balancing the stockpiles rather than collecting new resources from mines.

quote:

3. When there isn't many resources around a planet and you want to really increase the population, is there anything else to do besides changing the tax down to 0%? I made a small space port far out for a military fixing situation but the build rate is so slow I need more population to increase it..

A medical center and a recreation center on an orbital base will help. You can also up the tax rate on some of your more populous worlds to make them less happy and more inclined to emigrate, and then hopefully at least some of them will immigrate to your underpopulated tax haven on your frontier.

A further suggestion, if you just need the spaceport, is to strip the station down to the bare minimum required set just to have something in the area (e.g. a command center + 1 shield generator + docking bay + construction yard + 1 missile + 1 energy collector + minimum required reactors + minimum required set of habitation and life support modules + 1 of each component fabricator + any other required components that I've forgotten - remember that if there isn't a red warning in the design screen, you can build the spaceport, and that yellow warnings can generally be taken as suggestions, and also remember that labs are not required). However, this will only help on future construction; if you want this to be done for the current station, you'll need to cancel the current construction project, which might not save you any time and will cost you some of the money you spent when you ordered the spaceport. If you don't require the shipyard capacity, you can use a stripped-down defensive base or a minimal starbase design instead.

quote:

And wonders that give + development for colony.

Wonders build too slowly on low-population worlds to be a worthwhile method of boosting the population growth. They're also much more likely to be completed by your competitors if you're building them on low-population worlds. A facility that boosts planetary development might be worthwhile, but I don't think I'd sacrifice a wonder for a chance to boost population growth.

(in reply to fruitgnome)
Post #: 3
RE: quick questions.. - 8/30/2014 1:50:19 PM   
twinkypillow

Ok thanks for the reply..

I do NOT have Fleet Automation on in empire settings or policy screen.. but I still see fleets changing from homebases to gas mining stations as their homebase when i didn't set them to.. so this must be a BUG.. latest version too..

I also have another question about the tax settings.. Is there a difference when setting between the empire settings in options or the policy screen in the game?? like tax settings.. you can fully automate in one screen and then deselect tax automation in the options empire screen..

it looks like you can have one clicked and the other not clicked.. so then is it automated or not?? I can explain more if that doesn't make sense..

I'm sure this has been talked about some but it does appear that fleet automation isn't fully working.. i see them doing nothing many times while automated and I have all the correct stances and settings.. I've played this game for awhile..

I also noticed this.. THIS COULD BE VERY IMPORTANT FOR THOSE WITH FLEET PROBLEMS.. I tend to make huge fleets.. (60+ ships.. sometimes even 125 or more! seriously..) so this could be a reason why the fleets may be doing odd things like switching homebases with no automation on or not going to defend the sector when all settings are on... and even attacking sometimes when i set an attack target to a planet and sector.. etc...

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 4
RE: quick questions.. - 8/30/2014 4:41:50 PM   
Jethro420

I'm not sure what you're experiencing, exactly. But, make sure the fleet is set to no automation to defend in system only. Those three settings must be correct. Then, park the fleet wherever you want and it won't budge unless a friendly is being attacked. In that case, they will defend, as ordered. If you have the fleet automated, it will pick a spot equidistant from all your installations in that system and park there to defend. If you build new installations, the fleet will re-evaluate and choose a new spot where they are as close to equidistant as possible.

That's been my experience, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

(in reply to twinkypillow)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> quick questions.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI