Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies attached to GHQ only?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> To End All Wars Series >> Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies attached to GHQ only? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies attached... - 8/28/2014 10:23:49 AM   
sanderz

Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies attached to GHQ only? (or GHQ itself)

The manual says:
"Depending on the situation, an Army or GHQ engaged in combat may decide to call for reinforcements. If it does, Armies attached to that same GHQ (Army Group) located in adjacent regions may answer the call and join the fight if they pass a check."

I'm reading this as only Armies a) within the GHQ leaders Strategic Rating radius, and b) are in the region next to where the combat is taking place; can MTSG.

Is this right?

If not can someone explain how MTSG works?

Many thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies atta... - 8/28/2014 10:42:54 AM   
Ostwindflak

Given what it says I would say that it does not matter if the combat is taking place within the GHQ's command radius. As long as an Army attached to it is in combat and there are friendly armies or corps in adjacent regions, the commander of the Army in combat can request reinforcements. If the check passes then the request is "ok'd" through GHQ and a neighboring unit, which is also attached to GHQ (doesn't say has to be within the command radius of GHQ) can join in the fray.

I know when I was playing last night I had several Corps and two Armies in Belgium and Northern France that were out of the command radius of GHQ. In several large battles my German 1st Army requested reinforcements from the German 2nd Army in an adjacent region and they arrived to participate.

-Jason

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 2
RE: Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies atta... - 8/28/2014 11:50:09 AM   
sanderz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Given what it says I would say that it does not matter if the combat is taking place within the GHQ's command radius. As long as an Army attached to it is in combat and there are friendly armies or corps in adjacent regions, the commander of the Army in combat can request reinforcements. If the check passes then the request is "ok'd" through GHQ and a neighboring unit, which is also attached to GHQ (doesn't say has to be within the command radius of GHQ) can join in the fray.

I know when I was playing last night I had several Corps and two Armies in Belgium and Northern France that were out of the command radius of GHQ. In several large battles my German 1st Army requested reinforcements from the German 2nd Army in an adjacent region and they arrived to participate.

-Jason

thanks for the info - so it seems you should make sure EVERY Army is attached to the GHQ? Is there any advantage to having an Independent Army?

also regarding MTSG - if a unit is moving can it still MTSG?

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 3
RE: Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies atta... - 8/28/2014 1:37:33 PM   
Jim D Burns

All armies must be attached in the sense, you cannot create an army unless the leader is in command range of the GHQ (select GHQ and hold down shift key to see range). But armies need not remain in command range once created, so in a sense all armies are also independent armies once created.

I do believe armies receive bonus' from the GHQ leader if within his range, so there is some benefits to being within command range of the GHQ, but you don't have to stay in that range to operate as an army.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 8/28/2014 2:41:40 PM >

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 4
RE: Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies atta... - 8/28/2014 2:07:22 PM   
Ostwindflak

To add to what Jim said if you mouse over the little icons on your generals portraits, which represent traits they possess, some of those traits add benefits to all the units under a particular general if they are the commander of GHQ.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 5
RE: Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies atta... - 8/28/2014 2:10:55 PM   
Ostwindflak

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanderz

quote:

-Jason

thanks for the info - so it seems you should make sure EVERY Army is attached to the GHQ? Is there any advantage to having an Independent Army?

also regarding MTSG - if a unit is moving can it still MTSG?

As long as the unit has not moved out of the adjacent region when the battle started, I believe even with having issued the move order, it would still MTSG. That is if:

1. The army in battle requests reinforcements

2. The reinforcing army passes it's check and is allowed to enter combat

3. The reinforcing army isn't set to "Evade Combat" when you issued it's move order.

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 6
RE: Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies atta... - 8/29/2014 8:36:54 PM   
Toro12

As a note, I move my GHQ to support areas where I either:

1. am about to attack
2. am about to be attacked

Otherwise, as Jim D notes, you don't need to be within range of the GHQ. (In that war, the armies mostly did what they wanted anyway, often ignoring the GHQ for political reasons -- amazing anything was coordinated!)

Post #: 7
RE: Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies atta... - 8/29/2014 8:50:22 PM   
Queeg

I think some folks are playing a PBEM game to test out the MTSG mechanism to figure out how it works. (You'd think the game designers could tell us.)

It does make sense that GHQ should influence it, and I agree with cassmj that moving your GHQ to trouble spots is a good strategy, even if just for the command bonuses it gives to HQs in range.

And Armies can operate outside the GHQ range (at a penalty) but they can't be built outside that range (which is another silly game engine oddity).

< Message edited by Queeg -- 8/29/2014 9:52:28 PM >

(in reply to Toro12)
Post #: 8
RE: Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies atta... - 8/30/2014 10:09:13 AM   
zakblood

alter the settings in the menu's so stuff like activations and command doesn't matter so much if you're struggling at first, like me, fleets etc, altered them and now it's a lot easier for first play that is...

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 9
RE: Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies atta... - 8/30/2014 3:57:22 PM   
Gresbeck

quote:

Given what it says I would say that it does not matter if the combat is taking place within the GHQ's command radius.

-Jason

Not sure about this. According to the manual (pp. 35-36): "Their [Armies] purpose is twofold: they never suffer the Out of Command Chain penalty (see p. 39) and they get the following bonuses when operating within range of their Army Group [...] If spread out in different regions, there is a chance of supporting an adjacent Army engaged in combat (i.e. “March to the Sound of the Guns”)." It seems that MTSG depends on being in GHQ range.

Post #: 10
RE: Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies atta... - 8/30/2014 7:43:44 PM   
Ace1_slith

They support adjacent regions even if outside GHQ range. If inside range they get general stats bonuses from their GHQ (strategic/attack/defense). If outside range, they suffer -1 strategic and attack rating.

(in reply to Gresbeck)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> To End All Wars Series >> Marching to the sound of the guns - for Armies attached to GHQ only? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI