Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Forming Divisions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> Forming Divisions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forming Divisions - 9/4/2014 10:38:04 AM   
VicVega

Hello all
I recently bought CW2 and the complexity is much higher as with CW1.
I have difficulties to understand how to attach forces to a General. I select the General and 1 Unit and the "combine units" button appears. If I select another unit to merge with the general, quite often that does not appear.
Only a Tooltip that said General can only have X Y Z unit attached.
Is there a way to see what kind of units a general can command instead of the tooltip from "combine units"which is a real pain..

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Forming Divisions - 9/4/2014 3:14:35 PM   
VicVega

Duuuuh, I just got it I think. Thanks anyway :-)

(in reply to VicVega)
Post #: 2
RE: Forming Divisions - 9/4/2014 7:22:46 PM   
bobarossa

In case you haven't got it completely: I select a general (1 star) and then select the form division button. Now I select the general/Division and then control click on the units I want to merge (suggest inf, cav, art only) and then press the '+' button. You want to select at least 4 cmd points worth of troops or it isn't worth it.

(in reply to VicVega)
Post #: 3
RE: Forming Divisions - 9/6/2014 12:35:33 AM   
Guardsman2

I find forming divisions and corps to be clumsy and tiresome. For example, some commanders seem to be designated as 'brigade' commanders and some as division commanders, but there does not seem to be any way of knowing which in advance, as far as I can tell. Often, I will choose a leader and attempt to form a division only to discover that it becomes a brigade and no other units can be added to it. Similarly, some historical brigades appear with leaders permanently attached, while others appear with their leader separate (for example Shield's brigade, which appears with General Shields detached and he cannot be assigned until divisions are enabled). Similarly, it appears that some division leaders (2 star) have been hard coded to be corps leaders and you can't actually use them to create divisions.

Is there any way to know which leaders are hard coded to be brigade, division and corps leaders?

As well, the leadership penalty for forming divisions (at least for the US) seems excessive. I choose a 3-1-1 leader, which is the most common Union leader in the early game, form a division and he drops to 1-0-0. Even Grant's good stats drop massively when he is made a division commander, or Nathaniel Lyon drops from 5-2-3 to 3-0-2. The army stack he is in does not have a cp shortage, so what's the advantage of creating a division with him?

Finally, some brigades seem to be able to be much larger than others, even though neither have leaders. For example, some historical US brigades (California) are more like small divisions (multiple regiments of infantry, cavalry, artillery) while others consist of single regiments.

Is there a way to add individual regiments to brigades?

< Message edited by Guardsman2 -- 9/6/2014 1:51:00 AM >

(in reply to bobarossa)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> Forming Divisions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI