Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 9:48:02 PM   
geofflambert

Surprisingly enough perhaps, making punch with grain alcohol will not give you a headache producing hangover. What it tastes like doesn't matter much to the consumer, except chicks like coconut and mango and kiwi and wierd sh*t like that.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 10:46:09 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

The cause of hangovers in all alcohol products is histamines. The cheap producers leave them in, the quality ones take them out. If you get a hangover from something, stay away from that brand forever. This goes for beers, wines and whiskeys. Taking an antihistamine will help.

PBR anyone? Acronym used to protect the guilty

Seaounces is a humdinger.

Histamines? Uh...sorry, dude...maybe in Gorn booze, but it ain't histamines on this planet. Ketones and other byproducts of alcohol dehydrogenase and other aldehydes and esters (congeners) are the culprits here, my friend.

You're right that some types of alcohol have fewer of these than others (Vodka < Bourbon) and will be more 'forgiving' on hangovers.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/4/2014 10:56:51 PM   
Lokasenna

Well, technically alcohol is toxic-ish...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 12:56:56 AM   
geofflambert

If you bother to check, you'll find that histamines appear naturally in fermented preparations. If they aren't removed they can effect anyone, it isn't required that you have an allergy. I have been told that juvenile chickens sniff acetone and de-erogenize their baldihides in front of their sisters, but that is neither here nor there. You need some more credit hours in biochemistry.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 1:31:43 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

If you bother to check, you'll find that histamines appear naturally in fermented preparations. If they aren't removed they can effect anyone, it isn't required that you have an allergy. I have been told that juvenile chickens sniff acetone and de-erogenize their baldihides in front of their sisters, but that is neither here nor there. You need some more credit hours in biochemistry.

Never took chemistry, let alone biochem! I maxed out at level 1 high school biology. I'm more of a physics and math guy.

PS - yeast residue leftover in a homebrew will really F your gastro tract up. Better plan ahead with some Febreze if you have a lot of it. Or just be careful with filtering.

< Message edited by Lokasenna -- 9/5/2014 2:32:23 AM >

Post #: 35
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 1:34:19 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

Never took chemistry, let alone biochem! I maxed out at level 1 high school biology. I'm more of a physics and math guy.

PS - yeast residue leftover in a homebrew will really F your gastro tract up. Better plan ahead with some Febreze if you have a lot of it. Or just be careful with filtering.

I usually filter with a Cling-free sheet. That seems to work for me.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 1:57:33 AM   
geofflambert

Pretty soon I'm going to team up with Rachael Ray and Dr. Phil to bring you many more household hints. Keep your dirty laundry in the hamper until I get back to you.

Post #: 37
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 2:26:49 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

If you bother to check, you'll find that histamines appear naturally in fermented preparations. If they aren't removed they can effect anyone, it isn't required that you have an allergy.

That may be true. But if you bother to check, you'll find that alcohol appears naturally in fermented preparations too. If it's not removed, it can affect anyone, it isn't required that you have an allergy.

Post #: 38
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 2:31:42 AM   
Footslogger

quote:

Surprisingly enough perhaps, making punch with grain alcohol will not give you a headache producing hangover. What it tastes like doesn't matter much to the consumer, except chicks like coconut and mango and kiwi and wierd sh*t like that.

Here's what I found out about grain alcohol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpHqk2esXaI

Post #: 39
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 6:33:21 AM   
wworld7

V.O.

Flipper

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 2:14:23 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

quote:

Here's what I found out about grain alcohol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpHqk2esXaI

A sure fire way around the law-drink 94% grain alcohol. I guess that's safe(r)?

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 3:49:00 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

If you bother to check, you'll find that histamines appear naturally in fermented preparations. If they aren't removed they can effect anyone, it isn't required that you have an allergy.

That may be true. But if you bother to check, you'll find that alcohol appears naturally in fermented preparations too. If it's not removed, it can affect anyone, it isn't required that you have an allergy.

Chickenboy has never drank PBR or Seaounces like I did in college and get the pounding headaches that I never get anymore. Chickenboy is probably a teetotalling Lutheran know-it-all xenomorph xenobiochemist who is also a xenophobe.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 3:54:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Chickenboy has never drank PBR or Seaounces like I did in college and get the pounding headaches that I never get anymore. Chickenboy is probably a teetotalling Lutheran know-it-all xenomorph xenobiochemist who is also a xenophobe.

One out of 6 ain't bad. For a Gorn.

Post #: 43
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 4:06:59 PM   
Jellicoe

I like them peaty

Talisker is my preferred tipple. You can smell the Burn that runs underneath the distillery. Visited it on my honeymoon, one of the highlights........

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 44
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 4:20:34 PM   
jmalter

When I was back in seminary (architecture) school, Dewar's White Label was the beverage of choice at all the faculty parties I crashed. Later on, I 'graduated' to single-malts. I rilly like those Macallan sherry-cask guys, & LargeSlowTarget provided an excellent listie upthread. My addition: another Islay - Bunnahabhain.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 45
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 4:54:05 PM   
Lokasenna

We used to buy 190 proof Everclear in college. Granted, we didn't drink it straight, but...

That stuff's not legal anymore.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 5:13:08 PM   
Trugrit

jmalter,

When I was young and in architecture school I drank Glenfiddich when I could afford it.

I still have a few bottles around.

http://scotchnoob.com/2011/04/25/glenfiddich-18-year/

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 47
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 5:17:28 PM   
geofflambert

Cross the river, Everclear is legal in Virginia. Minnesota banned it because of lobbying by you-know-who (Anopheles). He has fan posters of Elliot Ness on his bedroom walls.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/5/2014 6:26:13 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 48
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 5:22:09 PM   
geofflambert

Like this one.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 49
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 5:26:09 PM   
Ormbane

Ok, now you guys have gone and done it - after reading through this thread I went out under the pretext of replenishing my wife's Dewar's White Label and smuggled in some Ardberg for myself. The Ardberg costs more in 750ml than the 1.75l of Dewar's. You guys are a bad influence on me

Post #: 50
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 5:27:27 PM   
geofflambert

You mean Ardbeg?

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 51
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 5:30:34 PM   
Ormbane

quote:

You mean Ardbeg?

See, I can't spell correctly and all I've done so far is look at the bottle

Post #: 52
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 5:37:02 PM   
geofflambert

I'm going to have to see if I can find some of these here. Think you can get Ardbeg here, looks familiar.

Jellicoe, which age do you go with on that Talisker?

Post #: 53
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 5:39:42 PM   
geofflambert

And Jellicoe, does Beatty like his peaty?

Post #: 54
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 5:51:11 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanSez
(or is it Whisky?)

A comment in one of the whiskey in JocMeister's Return of the Sheep AAR got me thinking about how much varied experience visits this forum (different countries/varied taste). Instead of detracting from Joe's good work, I thought I would shout out here and ask about Your Favorite Whisky.

In descending order:
A good single malt Scotch. And that's a thread all it itself.
A Bushmills or Tullamore blended Irish.
A Makers Mark or Brown Forman/ Heaven Hill Bourbon;
Follwed closely, real closely by Canadian;
Schenley, Black Velvet.
Grant's, Gibson's Finest.
Brown Forman/Beam/Glenora blended.

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 55
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 5:57:10 PM   
DanSez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ormbane

Ok, now you guys have gone and done it - after reading through this thread I went out under the pretext of replenishing my wife's Dewar's White Label and smuggled in some Ardberg for myself. The Ardberg costs more in 750ml than the 1.75l of Dewar's. You guys are a bad influence on me

Yes, my sweet dear woman likes the Crown Royal Black and the 750ml of Jura 16 cost more than the 1.5 ltr 90 proof Crown Royal Black. Much better taste/experience with Jura, much bigger bang for your buck with the Crown Royal Black.

Like them both, for different reasons.
I got the Ardbeg on a "watch list" next time I go to stock up.

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 56
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 6:15:37 PM   
Cribtop

I almost never drink whisky anymore, but I had quite a fondness for Balvenie 21 year back in the day.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 57
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 8:27:37 PM   
geofflambert

I need to make more fun of a certain forumite. The etymology of Anopheles is a- (Greek for "without") no (no) pheles (Greek for "fleas") so it literally means "without no fleas" which is the same as "with fleas".

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 58
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 9:25:39 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

My SO said her father used single malt rubbed on her gums when she was teething as a baby. She's always liked them for some reason. We have a McCallum's 12 and 18 in the cupboard. We both agree the 12 is actually better.

My parents/grandparents did something similar with me when I was teething. It didn't work though, my granddad thought my mum had watered it down and she thought he'd done it. Instead they ended up with a drunk baby who was angry because he couldn't see straight to grab his toys Maybe that's why I never really got into whisky.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 59
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/5/2014 10:07:25 PM   
Ormbane

quote:

I need to make more fun of a certain forumite. The etymology of Anopheles is a- (Greek for "without") no (no) pheles (Greek for "fleas") so it literally means "without no fleas" which is the same as "with fleas".

You are joking, right? Actually, it is the negation of the Greek word for "useful", so it would translate as "useless". The "a" is a negation prefix, as you indicated, but the "n" is simply a consonant added for pronunciation. My Greek is a bit rusty but I still caught this one

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI