Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything... Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/4/2014 6:51:48 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: DinoSaurus

Well, but maybe you could add a final and very expensive research project with high-damage beam weapons or so?

Already done.

(in reply to DinoSaurus)
Post #: 391
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/4/2014 6:55:43 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus

Suggestion for improving the pre-warp stage:

I like the idea. It'll be added to the beta, let's see what people think about it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus

Unrelated: Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of those icon graphics from EvE Online?

All save the still to be replaced vanilla ones, yes.

(in reply to NephilimNexus)
Post #: 392
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/4/2014 8:15:53 PM   
Cmiller

I like NephilimNexus's idea. It lengthens the Pre-warp era, and makes it more interesting at the same time. +1 for Nexus's idea . Its a real shame we can't have ion bombers, oh well. Maybe Eric can implement that into modding one day. But not having them isn't too big a deal.

One thing I'm really interested in is the larger ship sizes. I look at your teasers, and there's still another half of the tech tree you haven't shown us. Are we looking at ship sizes at Death Star level and beyond! And with all these new weapons types added...gosh I could make something so enormously powerful I might just wet my pants 100s of times over. Which leads me to this question:

I'm assuming you've been play testing tons of times over. So how are the AI handling the new components you've been adding. Are they designing their ships adequately, and are they fitting theirs ships to maximum size possible. With all that extra size, I would hope the AI have some pretty bad-ass death ships to blow my socks off, if you know what I mean . Anyway, that's all I wanted to ask. Great job on your mod. Am very excited to give it a try.

Cmiller

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 393
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/5/2014 10:09:50 PM   
lurchi

NephilimNexus's idea is already implemented.

Max ship size is... larger than vanilla. I only began with balancing some components, so I'm not sure yet how large exactly. I could make them really gigantic, but that would enable building near indestructible planet destroyers, something I want to avoid at all costs. I think those things should have an Achilles' heel. Well, I have some ideas for large late game ships. I'll manage somehow.

You'd be surprised at how much I played DW lately. Basically not at all due to lack of time.

I sure tested though, the AI does research and use the new tech. I have Icemania for final balancing, so you can look forward to a Research Reloaded / Ai Improvement combo. I'm very sure this will be very challenging.

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 394
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/5/2014 10:31:08 PM   
Kizucha

Sad lurchi. I remember that from an other place... i have done some modding for rimworld and in the time i work on the mod i have not played the game at all. I name it the "modding"-disease.

By the way, i have not played with the ai improvement mod, does it make the ai smarter in someway's or only change the design-use?

Sadly i like to play DW too but i cant play it vanilla because of the lak of good research mods. Happyly after lurchis mod is done i can play the game to the death again.

< Message edited by Kizucha -- 9/5/2014 11:34:18 PM >

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 395
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/5/2014 10:39:26 PM   
lurchi

Modding disease... Yeah, sounds about right.

The AI researches and designs smarter increasing the difficulty considerably.

Heh, it'll take a reaaally long time to try out all the tech combinations and strategies they enable.

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 396
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/5/2014 11:50:06 PM   
Hawkeye_BF

Would be really great if you can add me to list of people who test your mod ;)

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 397
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/7/2014 10:44:30 PM   
Joshwoo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kizucha

Sad lurchi. I remember that from an other place... i have done some modding for rimworld and in the time i work on the mod i have not played the game at all. I name it the "modding"-disease.

By the way, i have not played with the ai improvement mod, does it make the ai smarter in someway's or only change the design-use?

Sadly i like to play DW too but i cant play it vanilla because of the lak of good research mods. Happyly after lurchis mod is done i can play the game to the death again.

I had a modding disease after making my mod: flagpole. Then after the many releases, I decided to pass to mrofa for maintaing. On turn integrating with his mod. And I stopped playing rimworld.

< Message edited by Joshwoo69 -- 9/7/2014 11:57:18 PM >

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 398
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/8/2014 12:30:22 PM   
Kizucha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joshwoo69
I had a modding disease after making my mod: flagpole. Then after the many releases, I decided to pass to mrofa for maintaing. On turn integrating with his mod. And I stopped playing rimworld.

Oh that way i remember, i made the clutter mod from mrofa compatible for the TTM mod from minami, it was my main work on the "modding scene" in rimworld and for me, an modding beginner it was a lot of work. Now i'm nearly at your point, i love rimworld but... somehow i lost my motivation to play it. Maybe later in the development of rimworld in the beta or the release version i start again.

In that way, i'm really really happy that i have no idea how to mod DW so its safe for me that i can play it in the future with cool mods and stuff.

< Message edited by Kizucha -- 9/8/2014 1:30:58 PM >

(in reply to Joshwoo69)
Post #: 399
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/8/2014 12:46:20 PM   
lurchi

Here's a little update. I was quite busy - again - but will do some error checking and balancing the next days. I can't add the still missing components yet, since DW crashes with more than 256, so we need to be patient.

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 400
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/8/2014 2:44:12 PM   
Kizucha

Lurchis mastermind-plan, find a way to kill DW without playing: success.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 401
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/9/2014 11:43:15 AM   
Joshwoo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kizucha

Lurchis mastermind-plan, find a way to kill DW without playing: success.

True!
Stabing DWU without playing: access granted!

(in reply to Kizucha)
Post #: 402
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/10/2014 3:01:56 PM   
lurchi

Since I can't add the still missing components I'll keep balancing what is already there. I'll also add more tech if I think there's a need for them.

FYI: There is a strange bug that makes a few research projects vanish when you scroll down. Bugs in the txt files lead to an error message or game crash, but there is no such thing, but it could be related to something the game loads. I tried to find the cause without any luck. I even went so far to only use vanilla pics, nothing. The problem is probably related to having a lot of research projects in the weapon tech section combined with having tons of projects in general. I guess the game can't load them all at once or something. I reported it in the tech support last week, dunno when / if this gets fixed.

(in reply to Joshwoo69)
Post #: 403
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/10/2014 3:39:20 PM   
Cmiller

Have you thought about removing some components. Maybe you just have too much, you know. Perhaps you could remove some of those that are not just important right now. You can of course re-add them once Erik releases a bug fix for your problem.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 404
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/10/2014 4:15:30 PM   
lurchi

I did remove some components, that did not help. I also can't have too many. Right now the game crashes due to a different bug when you have 256 components while the cap is 300.

I did anything I could think of and stuff other modders came up with, nothing changes. Since there is no error in the txt files (no game crash or error message) and also none in the loaded graphics (everything replaced with vanilla) it must be a game bug.

Maybe the component bug is the culprit. Dunno.
I sure hope Elliot can fix this.

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 405
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 6:16:16 AM   
Shark7

The 300 component thing is a new feature, and I'm afraid probably one that most testers don't have the patience to go through with. After all, I only added a couple of weapons, a few wonders, and a revamped tech tree for colony tech using the default research as a base and it took me forever to do (after several revisions due to errors).

Sounds like you're the man when it comes to big research trees. All I can advise is try to catch the error logs, a save-game if possible, and keep in touch with Eric and Elliot until it gets worked out.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 406
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 6:36:23 AM   
DinoSaurus

Lurchi, I have two ideas, which maybe could be interesting:

(1) Do you have implemented something like an ANTI-TRAKTOR-BEAM? This could helb to fix a special ship and push it away from it's target, depending on the ships mass... I am thinking of star destroyers... or maybe battleships at scientific stations - Would possibly fit to countermeasures

(2) Another interesting equipment would be some kind of TECH-SCANNER: If you first time met a ship with a unknown tech (and your exploration-ship has a TECH-SCANNER) you get a little (or more, depending on the scanner-level) scientific bonus according to the tech of the foreign ship. This also would be another good idea for exploration ships: For every planet discovered (maybe a new "intensive excovering" if possible, only for colonizable planets, gas giants and barren planets) you get a little bonus on e.g. desert colonization or s.th. witch fits - important: the scientific bonus should not be too big. I think this also would extend the exploration of the universe...

< Message edited by DinoSaurus -- 9/11/2014 7:42:34 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 407
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 12:34:51 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: lurchi
I sure tested though, the AI does research and use the new tech. I have Icemania for final balancing, so you can look forward to a Research Reloaded / Ai Improvement combo. I'm very sure this will be very challenging.

Yes indeed I'll need to think all of this cool new stuff through and test it out. That and my spare time is almost non-existent. I hope all will be Patient. And we'll need helpers that are passionate about balance testing in particular areas of interest ... and if you are interested don't wait just do it after lurchi releases.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 9/11/2014 1:35:13 PM >

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 408
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 1:29:42 PM   
Blackstork

The only fast, easy and soft way to integrate 3 projects into one is to apply some automation and excel lists tied to racial focuses/etc based on your excel AI mod file (which is also base for Beyond one)
Once it will be actual and RR will be released and tested, and we 3 have time for it we could build it and make it very modular so any mod update, and any game update will be easy to apply to combined mod.
Building game research queues for 50+ races in 1000 tech tree manually is so 1990, there must be some automation to ease file data generation :P
Btw you can copy paste research.txt as it is and it will be not hard task to extract tech data from it into excel automation.

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 9/11/2014 2:33:00 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 409
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 1:30:38 PM   
Hawkeye_BF

My english is really not the best but hope its enough to communicate withe you.
I would really like to help balance testing, at moment I have alot of Time ;)

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 410
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 2:31:15 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackstork
The only fast, easy and soft way to integrate 3 projects into one is to apply some automation and excel lists tied to racial focuses/etc based on your excel AI mod file (which is also base for Beyond one)
Once it will be actual and RR will be released and tested, and we 3 have time for it we could build it and make it very modular so any mod update, and any game update will be easy to apply to combined mod.
Building game research queues for 50+ races in 1000 tech tree manually is so 1990, there must be some automation to ease file data generation :P
Btw you can copy paste research.txt as it is and it will be not hard task to extract tech data from it into excel automation.

No. It's not going to be fast because it's not the Excel and Race files that took the time, it was thinking about what the orders should be and why.

If you have a look in the Excel file more closely you will find:
(a) Weapons Research Order Templates for each weapon type (e.g. if you go to Tarapin you will see Human Copy). They were copied and pasted across races using the same weapons.
(b) Energy Research Order Templates (e.g. refer to the 4 Templates in the Energy Templates tab). They were copied and pasted across races using the same energy strategies.
(c) HighTech Research Order Templates, unfortunately quite a few specials here due to Wonders and Colonisation, only about half copy and paste.

Then there were special orders for racial technologies.

What took the time was developing the Templates and testing them. The copy and paste part, which could be automated, can be done in minutes anyway by referencing the Summary sheet both in the Excel file and the Race file. What I could do is automate the use of the Templates within the Excel file. Change the Template and the relevant races change in the Excel file as well. But there is no point doing this until we've tested and played with the new tech tree as the Templates will change completely.

Automating changes between an Excel file to a Race file is beyond me without investing a lot of time figuring out how to do it. But again there is a lot of copy and paste, then deal with the specials, so it won't take long.

If we automated a link between research.txt and the Excel file, I wouldn't use it, because we are going to have to *think* about how to change the orders before changing anything anyway.

With respect to research.txt I don't want to touch the Research Orders until lurch's tech tree is completed and fully tested, so the rework on the research orders should be limited, if using a mature tree.

As I keep saying, I do not have the time to do anything for a while. Nor do I think it is the right time anyway. Right from the start I've said that I will not begin AI Improvement until you and lurchi have integrated.

In short, I know you are enthusiastic, and I don't want to dampen that, but please back off. Leave the AI Improvement Mod Excel file and the changes needed to me please.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 9/11/2014 3:39:19 PM >

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 411
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 2:34:05 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hawkeye_BF

Cool! Pick an area that interests you and give it a focus once lurchi provides a complete tree for the part that you are interested. All we need to do is avoid people working on the same area of balance testing.

(in reply to Hawkeye_BF)
Post #: 412
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 3:11:44 PM   
Blackstork

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackstork

No. It's not going to be fast because it's not the Excel and Race files that took the time, it was thinking about what the orders should be and why.

If you have a look in the Excel file more closely you will find:
(a) Weapons Research Order Templates for each weapon type (e.g. if you go to Tarapin you will see Human Copy). They were copied and pasted across races using the same weapons.
(b) Energy Research Order Templates (e.g. refer to the 4 Templates in the Energy Templates tab). They were copied and pasted across races using the same energy strategies.
(c) HighTech Research Order Templates, unfortunately quite a few specials here due to Wonders and Colonisation, only about half copy and paste.

Then there were special orders for racial technologies.

What took the time was developing the Templates and testing them. The copy and paste part, which could be automated, can be done in minutes anyway by referencing the Summary sheet both in the Excel file and the Race file. What I could do is automate the use of the Templates within the Excel file. Change the Template and the relevant races change in the Excel file as well. But there is no point doing this until we've tested and played with the new tech tree as the Templates will change completely.

Automating changes between an Excel file to a Race file is beyond me without investing a lot of time figuring out how to do it. But again there is a lot of copy and paste, then deal with the specials, so it won't take long.

If we automated a link between research.txt and the Excel file, I wouldn't use it, because we are going to have to *think* about how to change the orders before changing anything anyway.

With respect to research.txt I don't want to touch the Research Orders until lurch's tech tree is completed and fully tested, so the rework on the research orders should be limited, if using a mature tree.

As I keep saying, I do not have the time to do anything for a while. Nor do I think it is the right time anyway. Right from the start I've said that I will not begin AI Improvement until you and lurchi have integrated.

In short, I know you are enthusiastic, and I don't want to dampen that, but please back off. Leave the AI Improvement Mod Excel file and the changes needed to me please.

Ok Ok sure mate.
I can see how we do improve and automate certain things (because i dabbed in complex excel "programming" some), and i talking about bit different things that you are, but sure , no problem, i just, as you mentioned, trying to be/being enthusiastic/creative and trying to help.
Only thing i wanted to mention, for combined mod its will be much correct and simpler to :
- Or to combine mine with yours, and then the result combine with lurchi's. Just because Beyond already built on research queues, and even takes some AI mod things further, so it will be completely incompatible with RR, even more than AI Mod.
- Other option is to combine AI mod and Lurchi's and then combine all result with Beyond.
This means either me and you and lurchi work on integration with RR once it is tested and on final release , or you combine your work with lurchis, and then i hop in at later stages of it.

But i agree that its early to talk about details of it. Lets see RR being released and tested. I will use some excel automation in case we/you will meet some complications and ask for that and/or the situation will demand it.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 413
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 5:34:13 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

The 300 component thing is a new feature, and I'm afraid probably one that most testers don't have the patience to go through with. After all, I only added a couple of weapons, a few wonders, and a revamped tech tree for colony tech using the default research as a base and it took me forever to do (after several revisions due to errors).

Sounds like you're the man when it comes to big research trees. All I can advise is try to catch the error logs, a save-game if possible, and keep in touch with Eric and Elliot until it gets worked out.

I hit the component and also the research project border (1000 - just wanted to know if there is such a thing).
Yeah, it's quite some work to redo the tech tree...
I'll keep checking for possible reasons, but I guess we'll have to wait for the next patch to solve that problem along with the 256 component bug.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 414
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 5:38:02 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: DinoSaurus

Lurchi, I have two ideas, which maybe could be interesting:

(1) Do you have implemented something like an ANTI-TRAKTOR-BEAM? This could helb to fix a special ship and push it away from it's target, depending on the ships mass... I am thinking of star destroyers... or maybe battleships at scientific stations - Would possibly fit to countermeasures

(2) Another interesting equipment would be some kind of TECH-SCANNER: If you first time met a ship with a unknown tech (and your exploration-ship has a TECH-SCANNER) you get a little (or more, depending on the scanner-level) scientific bonus according to the tech of the foreign ship. This also would be another good idea for exploration ships: For every planet discovered (maybe a new "intensive excovering" if possible, only for colonizable planets, gas giants and barren planets) you get a little bonus on e.g. desert colonization or s.th. witch fits - important: the scientific bonus should not be too big. I think this also would extend the exploration of the universe...

1) Tractor beams CAN push away.
It's just hard to get them to do what you want. A simple toggle would be really nice. I have implemented more of them, BTW.

2) It's not possible to implement completely new concepts like a tech scanner.

(in reply to DinoSaurus)
Post #: 415
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 5:46:29 PM   
lurchi

quote:

quote:

Cool! Pick an area that interests you and give it a focus once lurchi provides a complete tree for the part that you are interested. All we need to do is avoid people working on the same area of balance testing.

This will turn into a huge community effort.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 416
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/11/2014 6:13:27 PM   
Cmiller

I would love to test out your mod lurchi. At first I was turned off because I was concerned the tech tree may be too big for me. But now I believe bigger is better, and since we're getting Icemania's AI mod in, it'll be even sweeter. I'm really looking forward to that beta release. So sign me up. I'm thinking I may do some more AARs once yours comes out. You can look at those for my testing results. And I'll provide screenshots in this thread. I can't promise 24/7 testing like some others may be able to do, since I'm in college, but I can when I get the spare time. Hope to see that release soon, lurchi, and congrats on what you did so far. You really put a lot of effort into this.

P.S. I'm really interested in those Pyshco weapons, so let me call dibs on those please

Cmiller

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/11/2014 7:14:53 PM >

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 417
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/12/2014 7:01:27 AM   
Hawkeye_BF

quote:

quote:

Hi,

I'am very very interisted in ENERGY&CONSTRUCTION...

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 418
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/12/2014 8:05:47 AM   
DinoSaurus

Hm... but MAYBE the programmers are able to open a door for this?!

Another intersting point would be a telescope(-base) to explore planets fare away - do you have thought of this idea? Distance and time should be depending on the own scientific knowledge/components

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 419
RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research t... - 9/12/2014 2:51:36 PM   
lurchi

I'm sure they are able to, but I doubt they will. Maybe in DW2.

Same for those telescopes. I thought about this as well, including better search results with more devices in different systems. Sure would be nice, alas, like I said, intruducing new concepts is... yeah.

(in reply to DinoSaurus)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] New huge research tree, new everything... Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI