Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/9/2014 4:52:20 AM   
Blackstork

Now i understand what you wanted in pm, i state it here :
I like what you do and i do not object if you use some of my UIs as long you will credit me and my mod (Beyond, because Alien Immersion is part of it already) with linky to it.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 331
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/9/2014 8:56:59 AM   
Blackstork

@Japhet
I checked your work, it is really intence and rich! Liked it very much , keep it up, i like that your mod takes detailed art and immersion approach. Once i have time for it i will defenitely try it up (version with your art implemented). Keep up good work.
My tips on troops - build vector parts, and use them as lego for different races (you can use similar parts for Eldar and Dark Eldar, While Dark Eldar could be mix of troop parts from Eldar and Chaos).
I really like those alien UIs (the thing i do in Alien Immersion/Beyond) and this makes great deal of diversification and immersion of playing Alien race - is to navigate through alien signs pannels.
Kudos for both of you, keep it up guys.

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 9/9/2014 10:01:31 AM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 332
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/9/2014 9:40:58 PM   
Japhet

@Blackstork
Thanks, that's nice to hear. It was actually your work that inspired me, as you can see by the characters/diplomacy buttons (and to be honest, your Dhayut face was a very usefull blueprint for my Vespid head). It's also funny that you mention the mixing of Eldar and Chaos for the Dark Eldar, because that's what I did for the Dark Eldar head.

Also, thanks that you allow the usage of your stuff. I like it so much more than mine, what program do you use for your work?

@mensrea
quote:

Any word from anyone else on the Necrons? I may have went to far with the nerfing..I was hoping the addition of the particle whips might swing the balance in their favor despite being slow builders.

It's less the vulnerability in early game that irked me or that other races have a headstart (I think that's actually fitting for the crons), it was more the fact that you simply don't have anything to do other than waiting for your first ship or base to be build. You cannot research properly, because no research stations. You cannot explore, because well, no ships. It's like that phase in a pre-warp vanilla DW game were you have to wait for your first hyperdrive, only longer and even more restricted....That sounded way more irritated than it was meant to be, sorry. Seems the Necrons remain a problem child for now.

quote:

On the other hand so many blank slates mean we can pretty much use tropes or races from other sources.

Definetly true, but honestly, it's less fun two work on something you don't really care about much (and other people too, because let's face it: the majority of players will choose one of the "true" 40k races, that's why they want to play a 40k mod ). I will try my luck on the kinebrach, though. They're monkeys, if everything fails, then they will get banana icons as ui

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 333
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/9/2014 10:18:40 PM   
Blackstork

I work in CorelDraw (different versions, since i use different computers at home and and work for very minor fixing sometimes) and Paint.NET and use them for different tasks.
I have also Corel Painter but i do not need to use it normally, because it normally used for really complex bitmap art drawing, while i work mainly in vector. (I have also Illustrator on my job but i really prefer Corel)
I really advise you to try to work with vector as well, combination of raster and vector graphics is best. You are normally too limited if you work only with one type.

Also i have tips for you, also comes from my Beyond mod, which been quite nice thing - you can specialize and customize races using characters. This requires very complex modding but the result can bring interesting things - you can specialize races in such things as :Armor troops, Diplomacy, Counterespionage, Hysperspatial Navigation, Shield Recharge, Troop Recruitment speed etc. Means there alot more of race definition than just race.txt, policies and designs. If you emphasize certain custom pattern on race it can move it from bland into very special and flavorful race with special features, pros and abilities.

And, ps : I am glad that my work inspiring people, thats nice thing to hear. Keep it up !. :)

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 9/9/2014 11:28:25 PM >

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 334
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/9/2014 11:17:17 PM   
mensrea

Blackstork - Yes, I just wanted to borrow stuff that you have already released and I will most certainly see to it that you are given credit. I also sent you a PM about character modding, as I am not sure how you were able to release so many characters like that and I could use some tips in general. I have added maybe a couple dozen so far and noted that there are some things we can do with them that are just not possible through other avenues which I really like. Colony ship construction speed was one of the ones I liked the most.

Am I the only one who uses Jasc paint shop pro?

Japhet - I see what you mean about the Necrons and I actually think character modding could fix it. A Necron governor with substantial bonuses to build speed would limit their fast construction to one planet, which seems to be what we all want for them. I will give that a go and see how it works out. Also, about the not caring about the minors, I knew from the moment I made them that they would pretty much have a walk on part in the war. That may be the reason I am surprised to hear that people play races like the Diasporex, Auretians and such. The fact that people do play them anyway just makes me want to make them more interesting though, or at the least balanced against the majors in some way.

My Kinebranch model is this race http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT-43#The_Karmans . AT-43 is another table top game. The funny thing is I have maybe played table top games 2-3 times in my entire life. I'm just into WH40k for the lore.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 335
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/10/2014 3:12:19 AM   
swizzlewizzle

Mensrea I think the previous construction speed for necrons was fine (albeit they need to have a higher ship maintenance cost to balance their improved tech etc..).. I recommended just modifying the construction speed for colony ships (think I saw an option in there to modify ONLY that construction speed). Ultra-slow building of *everything* from planets is not good. :(

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 336
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/10/2014 3:18:57 AM   
mensrea

The colony build speed is misleading. It not only refers to colony ship construction but anything the colony itself builds in general, which includes orbitals and such. I think I can possibly give negative colony ship build speeds to a governor, but that won't stop people from just dismissing him, just the AI.

(in reply to swizzlewizzle)
Post #: 337
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/10/2014 5:10:18 AM   
Blackstork

You can tie to race characters that all will have traits that create negative bonus
then player , even if he dismissing, will get the same negative bonus
You can also make all characters with certain negative bonus, so all the pool will have them
just force patterns on all race's characters

also such things could be done and if you know excel 30 mins and you have simplistic hcaracter builder that wont force you into using complex structures and structured names as our soft will do
list skills/traits, use number of 2 digits, take selection list from the lists of skills and traits , use function LEFT.
Automate at any way you want - and combine results with function CONCATENATE at some end row , then just copy that row results - and you have character file text ready

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 338
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/10/2014 7:13:48 PM   
Japhet

quote:

My Kinebranch model is this race http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT-43#The_Karmans . AT-43 is another table top game. The funny thing is I have maybe played table top games 2-3 times in my entire life. I'm just into WH40k for the lore.

Same here. I've had some minis and rule books, but never played the game. I wasn't really good at painting and the people at the local gameshop were...quite weird and elitist. Even for 40k nerds. AT-43 looks interessting, I never heard of it before.

Anyway, I finished the Kinebrach. They are labeled as "Kinebranch" by the way, is that intentional? The funny thing is, they're now looking the exact opposite of what they are described as in the lore: here, they are huge gorillas with white fur and blue-white bulking armours. In the lore, they are smaller than humans, have red fur, black skin and wear skin thight red-bronze armour. Oh, and they have weird slot like noses and mouths.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 339
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/10/2014 8:00:39 PM   
mensrea

I agree about the gameshop thing. I walked into one about a year ago thinking it would be a bunch of people just sitting around drinking and bullshitting, maybe half assedly playing some board games or something. I walked out a little stunned and surprised; table top gaming is serious business!

I never found any lore on the Kinebranch aside from some tidbits about their history and behavior (and a minor proclivity towards chaos). Can you link me that?

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 340
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/10/2014 8:28:51 PM   
Japhet

Well, the information is on the german Lexicanum site:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Kinebrach

quote:

Die Kinebrach waren etwas kleiner als Menschen und breit und muskulös gebaut. Sie besaßen eine blau-schwarze Haut sowie eine rötliche Körperbehaarung. Sie sahen affenähnlich aus, mit breitem Schädel und riesigen Brauenwülsten, unter denen die kleinen schwarzen Augen kaum zu sehen waren. Mitten im Gesicht befand sich eine Schnauze mit dreigeteiltem Schlitz, der sowohl Nase als auch Mund war: Wenn die Lappen nach außen gestülpt werden, schnüffeln die Kinebrach. Wenn der Schlitz geöffnet wird, sind kleine spitze Zähne sichtbar. Von den Kinebrach geht ein erdiger Geruch aus. 1 T3K1

Als Soldaten des Interex tragen die Kinebrach Ganzkörper-Rüstungen in Braun und Gold. 1 T3K1

It basically says what I've wrote above: smaller and sturdier than humans, black-blue skin, reddish fur, small black eyes. Ape-like looks, broad skull with large bulging eyebrows and a snout with a three-parted slot that functioned as both nose and mouth. They also had an earthy smell and wore the same armour as the soldiers of the Interex, except their armour was brown and gold (not red and bronze like I said before).

It lists the novel "Horus rising" (part 3 chapter 1) as source, but I've never read the book myself, so I cannot confirm if that is actually true. I haven't seen this kind of information on the english lexicanum or the 40k wiki, but I've no real doubt that it's true.

< Message edited by Japhet -- 9/10/2014 9:29:30 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 341
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/11/2014 1:55:52 AM   
mensrea

Well, there's not a whole assortment of space monkey pictures available, so furry blue-ish white gorillas will have to do. If anyone dares to dispute this they will be buried in a pile of assorted skulls.

I actually had no idea they were the Kinebrach, and could have sworn that they were previously the Kinebranch. I changed it though and it will be fixed in the next update. I suspect the work of GW extremists.

And why/how does everyone manage to speak two or more languages? Ya'll make me feel like some backwoods, uncultured hillbilly from some obscure rust-belt city or something.

I also want to take a moment to discuss my master plan (for the mod). I plan to separate the eras so that players can choose to play in 30k or 41k sort of like how they can choose to play in shadows or normal. Yes, this means Tau, Chaos and Dark Eldar as well as 'nids which I already had decided to do. I even have some cheap fluff thought up to insert as a story that no one will ever read.

I may, however, reconsider adding the pirate races. They don't really work out as planned.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 342
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/11/2014 2:12:43 AM   
Japhet

After space monkeys, have some space bears. Or space squids depending who you ask. Warhammer 40K is a strange place.

quote:

I also want to take a moment to discuss my master plan (for the mod). I plan to separate the eras so that players can choose to play in 30k or 41k sort of like how they can choose to play in shadows or normal. Yes, this means Tau, Chaos and Dark Eldar as well as 'nids which I already had decided to do. I even have some cheap fluff thought up to insert as a story that no one will ever read.

Oh, great. Now I've even more work to do and I thought I was done with chaos...just kidding
I always hoped you would do such a thing.

quote:

I may, however, reconsider adding the pirate races. They don't really work out as planned.

What's the problem with the pirate races? Personally, I think that is the only way the Dark Eldar would function in DW.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 343
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/11/2014 4:13:49 AM   
Capshades

Yay, Tau Empire

And I have never liked playing as pirates cause they just lose purpose after a few decades.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 344
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/11/2014 8:00:27 PM   
mensrea

Well, so far I have a list of things that are wrong with making pirate only races.

-Game freezes on map creation without normal empires that are the same race as the pirate empires. Example: I set only Dark Eldar to be capable of being pirates and launch the game without any normal Dark Eldar empires. Game freezes at map creation and has to be alt-f4'd.

-Game freezes during map creation without more than 4 pirate races if you set the pirate frequency high.

-The Dark Eldar pirates start with nothing. No ships, no bases, nothing. I seem to recall seeing something about this in the error forums, but it only happens with the Dark Eldar.

-Randomly freezes at map creation or changing theme to WH40k mod. No real explanation because I didn't change anything and it worked after restarting.

This all leads me to suspect that the game is either schizophrenic or just doesn't like the concept of pirate-only races. I will still be adding the Dark Eldar and the Brotherhood of Ruin, though, just not Freebooterz or Rak'Gul.

I also want to just split this mod into two separate mods at this point, one for 30k and one for 41k. It will be necessary because most of the 30k races are just ash sandwiched between layers of sedimentary rock by the time 41k comes around. So I wanted to ask you guys to give me some race names that are still around in 41k so I can add them for that.

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 345
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/12/2014 12:57:06 AM   
Japhet

quote:

-Game freezes on map creation without normal empires that are the same race as the pirate empires. Example: I set only Dark Eldar to be capable of being pirates and launch the game without any normal Dark Eldar empires. Game freezes at map creation and has to be alt-f4'd.

-Game freezes during map creation without more than 4 pirate races if you set the pirate frequency high.

-The Dark Eldar pirates start with nothing. No ships, no bases, nothing. I seem to recall seeing something about this in the error forums, but it only happens with the Dark Eldar.

-Randomly freezes at map creation or changing theme to WH40k mod. No real explanation because I didn't change anything and it worked after restarting.

Well, that explains why I was never able to play as pirates. However, I think the Dark Eldar as a regular empire would feel weird. They don't colonise or conquer planets. The Rak'Gol on the other side, are perfectly fine as a regulary empire though.

As for Chaos, do you have anything special in mind with them? Will you add only one chaos faction (not counting the Laer) or will you have one for each god plus one for Chaos Undivided?

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 346
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/12/2014 2:57:39 AM   
mensrea

Wait, pirates didn't work before? I never had problems with them until I tried making pirate only races. It wouldn't surprise me though; this would not be the first time unexplainable errors have been reported. I'm not sure what to do with the Dark Eldar at this point. They have always been a purely pirate empire in every case so they may just get left out.

For Chaos the Brotherhood of Ruin will represent Chaos undivided and the Laer will be for Slaanesh in the 30k version. I have no plans for any other Chaos gods in the 30k one, unless someone can present me with something to work with. In the 41k version I will just have Chaos as a race and they will as usual represent Chaos undivided with Abbadon the Despoiler as their leader. Prepare for the Black Crusades!

I would also like to make a separate Shakturi storyline for 41k that involves the Tyranids. That seems pointless though, seeing as how we really don't know what triggers them or if we can do it without completely toning down the entire mod. By that I mean to say that just like Warhammer 40k is sci-fi turned up to 11, this mod is Distant Worlds turned up to 11. I don't think turning it back down to 5 or 6 would be worth having some storyline for.

Admittedly I am kind of excited to make the 41k version. I wanted to do something different by covering the Great Crusade era, and I feel we have nearly achieved that. Now people will get to see how the universe evolved over that 10,000 year period and play in scenarios in the beginning and the end.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 347
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/12/2014 6:36:36 AM   
Capshades

Please just promise us that you'll finish 30k first, in the event that you burn out/get tired of DW:U...

So many great mods die out because the project lead got over-ambitious then just quit

< Message edited by Capshades -- 9/12/2014 7:37:45 AM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 348
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/12/2014 6:49:21 PM   
Japhet

quote:

Wait, pirates didn't work before? I never had problems with them until I tried making pirate only races. It wouldn't surprise me though; this would not be the first time unexplainable errors have been reported. I'm not sure what to do with the Dark Eldar at this point. They have always been a purely pirate empire in every case so they may just get left out.

I tried to play as pirates with this mod only one time and the game froze. I'm sure it was one of the issues that you mentioned. Personally, I don't think leaving the DE out would be a big loss, even as much as I like them.

quote:

For Chaos the Brotherhood of Ruin will represent Chaos undivided and the Laer will be for Slaanesh in the 30k version. I have no plans for any other Chaos gods in the 30k one, unless someone can present me with something to work with. In the 41k version I will just have Chaos as a race and they will as usual represent Chaos undivided with Abbadon the Despoiler as their leader. Prepare for the Black Crusades!

Wasn't the Brotherhood a bunch of chaos orks? I've no idea about the 30k Chaos, but may I offer a suggestion for the 41k version? Have five chaos factions, call them "Servants of [chaos god/Chaos Undivided]" and make them like a dark mirror image of the Imperials in regards to troops: have renegade soldiers as normal troops, Chaos Space Marines as armored troops and Demons as special forces. The Chaos Undivided forces could be based on the Black Legion (with Abbadon as Leader) or the Word Bearers, the Nurgle forces on the Death Guard, the Khorne forces of the World Eaters,...you get the idea. That way, a player could form his own Chaos force/warband/empire/political entity by conquering other Chaos forces.

The same idea would also work great for an Ork Waaagh! made from different Ork Klans.

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 349
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/12/2014 8:16:50 PM   
mensrea

Cap to be honest I am already kind of burned out of actually playing though I still get a lot of enjoyment from modding. The thing about me is that if I say I am going to do something I do it, so no worries. The 41k version isn't really over ambitious though, it's basically just going to be a re-skinning of the 30k one with tweaks to races. Besides, the only hobby project I have going on other than this requires me to learn java... The only things that would stop me at this point are death, incarceration or sudden abject poverty.

Japhet - That's strange that no one reported that. Must not be a whole lot of people of bother with pirates. One solution for the DE might be to limit them to one planet and give them less cumbersome victory conditions, perhaps grabbing lots of slaves and building a webway gate to Commoragh or something.

The Brotherhood was a Chaotic band of abhumans with Ork allies, something almost unheard of.

I really like that idea concerning Chaos and Ork warbands as separate races and I will go with it. I will make Undivided and the Warboss led Orks major races and the others minor races. We could still use a couple more minor races even after those inclusions, so keep your eyes open. Just note that some races like Stryxis and Tarellians are still around in 41k so we don't need to cover them.

Progress on the facilities goes well and I aim to release this update sunday. I could use more feedback on the tech trees though, critiques/bug reports/opinions/etc are all welcome and encouraged.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 350
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/12/2014 9:01:59 PM   
Japhet

quote:

That's strange that no one reported that. Must not be a whole lot of people of bother with pirates. One solution for the DE might be to limit them to one planet and give them less cumbersome victory conditions, perhaps grabbing lots of slaves and building a webway gate to Commoragh or something.

That could work and I like the idea of slave victory condition.

quote:

I really like that idea concerning Chaos and Ork warbands as separate races and I will go with it. I will make Undivided and the Warboss led Orks major races and the others minor races.

That's very good to hear , but what's the difference between major and minor races again? In terms of the Orks which Klan will be the major one? The Goffs?

quote:

We could still use a couple more minor races even after those inclusions, so keep your eyes open. Just note that some races like Stryxis and Tarellians are still around in 41k so we don't need to cover them.

What is the total number of races you have actually in mind? There are many other races mentioned on the wikis, but most of them are too obscure even for 40k nerds. Besides the ones in my pack (Kroot, Vespids, Zoats, Demiurg, Niscassar), I can think only of the Slaugth as interessting or the Scaephylyds, which are chaos worshiping insects (and could use the Laer art).

Btw, in one of my recent necron games, I came upon one of the race messages. Seems that the necrons are very very sorry for siding with the shakturi (or c'tan, it's up for interpretation) and their plans of galactic genocide

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 351
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/13/2014 6:11:05 AM   
Capshades

One thing I've noticed a lot is that troop ships only pick half of the troops they could. I usually manually order my troop carriers to pick up ground forces from my homeworld (which is always overflowing with all types,) but they always only pick up 800 of 1600 unit slots. Is this a normal bug with the game?

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 352
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/13/2014 8:24:58 AM   
Locust71

I have seen that too + that troop ships sometimes loose all fuel while they pick up troops.

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 353
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/13/2014 6:23:06 PM   
Capshades

Well, that may be due to fuel shortages. I've had times when all ships constructed don't have fuel when they're built. Also, apparently the game gives resource priority to the station before the planet, so if the space station is overloaded with construction and has insufficient resources, construction on the planet (such as colony ships and constructors) freeze.

But going back to the troop carriers, it seems regardless of how improved they are they only ever pick up half their carrying capacity. Now they have 2000 slots but pick up only 1000.

Also: something that may not be mod related but is still a bug. When you invade and exterminate a populace from a neutral planet and the planet becomes uncolonized, when you then colonize it again with your own race there are revolts (by your own species) as if your extermination policy was continuing with them.

And while I'm ranting, I should mention that the upgrade AI seems to give out sometimes. I'll have games where I'm never prompted to upgrade ships/bases after the first decade, and have to do it manually (yes the checkbox for prompts is selected)

< Message edited by Capshades -- 9/13/2014 8:29:56 PM >

(in reply to Locust71)
Post #: 354
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/14/2014 5:15:09 PM   
Dohon

I just want to pop in and thank you, mensrea, for the mod! I am a big Warhammer fan and this mod is really scratching an itch that I had for years. Cheers!

With regards to troop transports, do you guys and gals have modified the troop loadout modifier? I thought that that setting was set to loading 50% infantry standard and this would explain the half-full troop ships.

< Message edited by Dohon -- 9/14/2014 6:15:54 PM >

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 355
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/14/2014 8:00:47 PM   
Locust71

I always go for 100% armour because nothing else works. I mean if i go for 25% soldiers, 50% armour and 25% special troops, only armour will be loaded anyway. No mather how many i have of all others. (So I set 100% armour as default ofcourse.)

That fuel problem i mentioned in a post above this one is really anoying. Is that only happening for me?

< Message edited by Locust71 -- 9/14/2014 9:04:04 PM >

(in reply to Dohon)
Post #: 356
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/14/2014 8:13:28 PM   
Japhet

Finished a new version of the combined pack. It now features the Nicassar (I think I spelled them wrong), Kinebrach, Slaught and some stuff for the Scaephylyd (Khorne worshipping Sluken). Also, the Zoats have a ship set now, the Chaos factions have their own ui & troops and I also restructured the Ork and Eldar folders and added some icons for a non-race-specific ui. Have fun:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hgc2dcrbgmzbo07/WH+40K+pack.rar

As far as remaining minor races go, I would suggest the Q'Orl http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Q%27orl (Blackstorks Yor art would be fitting), the Thyrrus (crazy squids: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Thyrrus) and the Nekulli http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Nekulli

In regards to the pirate race problem, I think the Star Trek mod has pirate only races like the Marquis. Maybe ehsumrell1 knows how to get them to work. I could be wrong though, it's been a while since I played that mod.

(in reply to Dohon)
Post #: 357
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/15/2014 3:47:11 AM   
mensrea

Troop issue - I made it so my troop transports can hold more troops but apparently that doesn't register with the AI. Nothing can be done about that as far as I know.

Fueling issue - In general users and the AI will be making bigger fleets so I think what it comes down to is gas not being restocked fast enough by freighters.

Dohon - Thanks and I am glad you like the mod. What is your favorite race?

Cap, you should really report that colonization bug, that doesn't sound like it could be mod related. The manual upgrade thing sounds like a normal game bug too. Thanks for the art, by the way. I think we will nearly be covered as far as the major races go, and it looks like the minors too. I will check out the Star Trek mod or talk to Mr.Sumrell about it if I can't work it out further.

Finally, here is the mod: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56152025/WH40k%20mod%20v.11.zip

I had to remove some of the art, mostly the GEM stuff, as well as the music. I had my public folder for dropbox temporarily suspended yesterday for hogging up too much bandwidth. Until I can find another host to put the other stuff on this will have to do. I will also be removing the legacy files for now. If someone could provide a link for the music and GEM art as some sort of media pack in the interim it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, about this update, I was kinda short on time due to an unexpected event yesterday so I didn't do write ups for the wonders descriptions or change pictures for facilities at all. Just cosmetic really, but I do plan to take care of that.

Here's the changelog:

v.11 changelog
-complete facility rework. 100 facilities in total now, 70 of which are wonders. more than every other tech line has a wonder to research
-added Dark Eldar
-fixes to tech tree
-added some new super techs, removed unnecessary legacy techs
-fixes to character art for new system
-many racial fixes and general racial balancing
-removed better star/planet/etc graphics and most music due to issues with dropbox

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 358
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/15/2014 5:30:16 PM   
Japhet

UI and character portraits for the Stryxis. I think the Auretians and the Quietude are last races I will do. Then I will focus on actually playing the mod
Since Blackstork has given his permission to use his art, I would suggest using it for some of the races:
Interex -> xHumans
Diasporex -> Humans

And, provided that they are featured in one of the mods:
Q'orl -> Yor
Nicassar -> Wekkarus (if the squid look is used)

mensrea - go with mediafire or 4shared, both work well for most people. The later doesn't actually require a facebook or twitter account (I don't have any of those).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japhet -- 9/15/2014 7:48:00 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 359
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/15/2014 7:20:51 PM   
mensrea

Good stuff, Japhet. There is one thing I'm concerned about though, are we adding enough skulls? I mean, not counting the skulls that are actually in peoples heads, shouldn't there be some extraneous skulls, decorative skulls, tastefully arranged skull piles, etc? What's your take on this potential faux pas?

I think I will put the media stuff on mediafire and keep using dropbox for the actual data.

I also wanted to take a minute and say that the mod is basically out of beta now, and releasing on time, short of any bugs that are revealed later on. I still have some balancing with races left, but that's more a best practice than a necessity. After that we have characters and AI left as major updates and the addition of the Brotherhood and Tyranids. Compared to vanilla, we are about equal then, as vanilla has neither a great character system or any AI system. Celebratory Warhammer pictures on the thread are welcome.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI