Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Scots Are they free

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Scots Are they free Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/16/2014 3:44:52 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

No one wants you to shut up - you have been an excellent contributor to the debate - totally wrong of course, but a sensible debater

with an introduction like that ... who can resist

quote:

One thing I really fail to get about the Yes voters (and the importance you attach to the EU really brings this out) is this:

Having been lied to by Heath and numerous traitors since, We have been sleep walking to a federal Europe (as opposed to what we originally were told we were voting for). As such all the matters of real importance will be taken away from individual countries sooner rather than later. You are fully up for that, that is important to you. But I do not understand the reasoning: yes I want to be free from Westminster ...... Just so I can be bossed around from Brussels.

Makes no sense to me.

ok

I'm too young (honest) to have voted before 1979, so I'll bow to others as to how the EEC accession and subsequent referendum were really framed.

But I did study the EEC at University, and felt that the statement about 'ever closer union' was pretty sincerely meant. This was a time when most of the UK left (Benn et al) were profoundly anti-EEC, but I never bought into that view. It was clear what the goal was - to so integrate the economic and political structures of Europe that war was impossible. Economic integration was not enough. That had been achieved in 1914 (most of the French trucks had German engines, key spare parts used by all the armies were only produced in one country), so to the founders it was clear that a purely economic structure would fail to achieve their goals. From my own point of view this was axiomatic, I had family (both my grandmother and uncles/cousins) who shared the Italian norm that the EEC was a good thing.

From a Scottish perspective, I think few see independence as a desire for isolation. So membership of the EU fits that world view. It also fits our myth (Scotland like most nations has myths about itself), which has some basis in truth, that we are more natural Europeans than the English (see I did say its a myth with some toeholds on reality). So its pretty obvious that in the world of 2014, independence is going to he heavily qualified. But the EU won't stop us crafting an approach to social welfare that fits our society, I'm afraid the UK Govt does.

This is also why if a proper devo max offer had been on the ballot paper (not the farce just trumped up), then you may as well have cancelled the referendum the day after due to that being the popular option. By devo max, I mean full attribution of all revenues to Scotland, transfer of an agreed sum to the UK Treasury for shared services and regional rebalancing, and its up to us to live with what is left - both how much we raise and how we allocate it. In truth, one valid criticism of the SNP's version of independence is that it is actually devo max by another name.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Well I'm not going to get into a debate over Iraq.

Well said. Lets keep the focus on the current vote and what it might bring to the future.

Yep, agree fully, people across the world marched against that, where-ever they lived.
quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

quote:

Orm Scotland will have to apply to join the EU. Spain for one will not be overly keen to allow them in - after all, how will the Basques react to that?

And what about France and Corsica? Italy and Sicily?
I see a lot of these independence movements all around Europe, getting strength.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I just had a discussion with a colleague (friend) that regardless on how this vote goes so would Scotland be a part of the European Union. I claimed that treaties made by UK, when Scotland was part of UK, would be upheld if Scotland were to leave UK. There would, of course, be a need to confirm them and so on but the treaties and agreements made by UK was for all of UK at that time (and that includes Scotland).

One could as easily claim that if Scotland leaves UK then the remaining part of UK would not be part of EU since the original signing part do no longer exist. In my opinion both would automatically be part of the EU after a split and the original treaty would have to be modified for all parties.

I think that Europe would be worse if UK or Scotland would leave the European Union. But it is of course in your right to do so if you so decide.

Note that I also think that Scotland would be part of NATO after a split. And FN and so on.

My thinking could all be bollocks for what do I know.

The point about the EU is this has never happened, but there is the semi-precedent of Greenland. Now Greenland leaving the EU caused so much administrative chaos (due to the speed at which it happened) that the EU passed a law that means you need to give 5 years notice of a decision to leave.

Without getting too legal, the reality is that Scotland may leave the UK legally (this is the contrast to Catalonia where the Spanish Govt will not allow a referendum) and why the Edinburgh agreement is so important. Now on that basis, Scotland is then in the situation of being a member of the EU (we inherit that status) but of leaving ... we haven't been accepted into the club. Complex (& good for the lawyers).

Here's where it gets technical, we in effect renegotiate using article 49 (not 48 which applies to outside applicants) the terms of our membership - this is actually what the Conservatives are committed to do if they win the next election. We have 5 years to get agreement to our continued membership. We will of course be fully compliant with all the rules, we will (despite the SNP's claim to the contrary) lose some of the special British opt outs etc, but in the main this will work pretty easily. We will be members of the EU from 2016-21 (ie five years after leaving the UK), we will want to be in, and will be good members of the club. Its not guarenteed, but it would take true lunacy for a deal not to be worked out.

NATO is different. As we will chuck out Trident (even if not as fast as some would like), we'll be in pretty bad odour in that club. For me I don't care, I don't want to be a member of the alliance that has the bombing of Bologna station in 1980 (& all the other strange bombings in Italy from 1969-87), or the Brabant massacre in Belgium on its hands. But I'm a bit of a lefty. On balance I guess if Scotland asks nicely, we'll get in - but whether we want it or not will be one of the more divisive issues in Scottish politics in the period after independence (it nearly split the SNP a few years ago). My guess is we will end up in, as we have things to offer, but I can't see it as such an obvious answer.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 9/16/2014 4:48:40 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 61
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/16/2014 3:57:43 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Without getting too legal, the reality is that Scotland may leave the UK legally (this is the contrast to Catalonia where the Spanish Govt will not allow a referendum) and why the Edinburgh agreement is so important.

Madrid will fight against any desire for independence, inner and externally. They perceive that this can be the end of the Spanish state. A new status quo could merge on the Iberian peninsula.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 62
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/16/2014 5:17:16 PM   
Zap

We surely are at a critical time in (world/regional) politics and instabilities. I hope the Scottish vote does not cause lasting bad feelings. Which many here speak about as a result of this vote. I don't think the world can take much more. Personally speaking, The world scene scares me.

< Message edited by Zap -- 9/16/2014 6:19:28 PM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 63
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/16/2014 5:42:24 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

We surely are at a critical time in (world/regional) politics and instabilities. I hope the Scottish vote does not cause lasting bad feelings. Which many here speak about as a result of this vote. I don't think the world can take much more. Personally speaking, The world scene scares me.

I think the scale of the Yes has already damaged relations with the rest of the UK for a decade. If it does turn out to be a Yes vote then there is almost certain to be backlash from the rest of the UK. It will be political suicide to be seen as anything less than ruthless in the negotiations with Salmond, and tourism to and sales from Scotland to the rest of the UK will suffer. I hope I am wrong, but I don't believe I will be.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 64
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/16/2014 6:12:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

quote:

I think the scale of the Yes has already damaged relations with the rest of the UK for a decade. If it does turn out to be a Yes vote then there is almost certain to be backlash from the rest of the UK. It will be political suicide to be seen as anything less than ruthless in the negotiations with Salmond, and tourism to and sales from Scotland to the rest of the UK will suffer. I hope I am wrong, but I don't believe I will be.

Cheers

Pip

warspite1

Yes, stories of some of the abuse towards those speaking out for No is quite shocking. I also think that this sort of thing is more likely to result in a Yes vote than perhaps is the case on the face of it. People will be almost afraid to vote No in case its a Yes win.

"So you voted No then?......."

Taxi for the Yes voter....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/16/2014 7:12:50 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 65
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/16/2014 8:53:21 PM   
Zorch

Imagine the effect on Her Majesty's armed forces!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es0t50H44IE

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 66
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/16/2014 10:56:04 PM   
Gilmer

quote:

Just one last response and then I'll shut up (promise).

You need to shut up and do an AAR of To End All Wars against Narwhal!!!

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 67
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/16/2014 11:53:25 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers

Pip

warspite1

Yes, stories of some of the abuse towards those speaking out for No is quite shocking. I also think that this sort of thing is more likely to result in a Yes vote than perhaps is the case on the face of it. People will be almost afraid to vote No in case its a Yes win.

With the media frenzy going into over-drive and abundant complaints of blatant bias in the BBC (let alone the independent press), I'd take everything you're reading in the paper with a boulder of salt.

As a Scot, I welcome independence. I look forward to the day when we're not involved in foriegn wars, not throwing revenue away on Trident or on a navy to preserve the already-lost empire.

I look forward to when Scotland is more than just a giant rotton burough for the Labour Party and severing links with the corrupt mess that is Westminister.

To those south of the border who oppose a vote - why? If Scotland becomes independent, Cameron's getting kicked out of office and the Labour party is going to need to seriously sort out it's act. What's not to like?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 68
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 12:19:44 AM   
Otto von Blotto

I'm torn, if I were Scots I would be seriously thinking about voting yes as it could be a great opportunity, but as im English and also run a small business that does sell quite a bit of goods to customers north of the border I'm worried about what impacts full independence will bring.

I'm quite happy I don't have to decide and time will tell, I will have to make the best of what's to come one way or another.

< Message edited by Otto von Blotto -- 9/17/2014 1:21:19 AM >

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 69
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 3:26:28 AM   
radic202

I sit back and read all the arguments pro and against and they are exactly the same arguments that Quebec vs Canada had on 2 occasions. Everyone in here seems to forget that Canada went through 2 Quebec Separatist Referendums. On both occasions the "NO" side won as I look back it has taken years to even get close to any kind of quietness and the issue still comes up for debate amongst the few In Canada/Quebec's cases the Language issue was more of an issue in the debate then the Territorial one we see here. But the similarities are about the same in everything else. Conquered nation, different base cultures, people of mixed ethnicity, marriages and families (like in my case) from both sides of the border, economic ties, currency, debts etc...I can still remember how I cried the night of the results (the second one), I ask you all before you go and debate what if scenarios, simply read up on what happened in Quebec and Canada in 1980 and 1995. So sad though that everyone in here seems to have forgotten what it can and what it will do to 2 people of the same nation.

Am I the only one in here who has not forgotten? Anyways, my heart goes out to all the voters who will have a difficult decision to make.

Now my turn to go read up on why the Aussies decided to keep the Queen (Monarchy) as their head of State on their Referendum: that to me is a personal dilemma that I will never understand.

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to Otto von Blotto)
Post #: 70
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 4:02:10 AM   
warspite1

Scotland, a conquered nation? I don't think so.

Re the Queen and out of curiosity, why is that a personal dilemma?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/17/2014 5:19:49 AM >

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 71
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 4:32:26 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: radic202

I sit back and read all the arguments pro and against and they are exactly the same arguments that Quebec vs Canada had on 2 occasions. Everyone in here seems to forget that Canada went through 2 Quebec Separatist Referendums. On both occasions the "NO" side won as I look back it has taken years to even get close to any kind of quietness and the issue still comes up for debate amongst the few In Canada/Quebec's cases the Language issue was more of an issue in the debate then the Territorial one we see here. But the similarities are about the same in everything else. Conquered nation, different base cultures, people of mixed ethnicity, marriages and families (like in my case) from both sides of the border, economic ties, currency, debts etc...I can still remember how I cried the night of the results (the second one), I ask you all before you go and debate what if scenarios, simply read up on what happened in Quebec and Canada in 1980 and 1995. So sad though that everyone in here seems to have forgotten what it can and what it will do to 2 people of the same nation.

Am I the only one in here who has not forgotten? Anyways, my heart goes out to all the voters who will have a difficult decision to make.

Now my turn to go read up on why the Aussies decided to keep the Queen (Monarchy) as their head of State on their Referendum: that to me is a personal dilemma that I will never understand.

Scotland was not a Conquered nation when it rejoined the English. In fact the King of Scotland became the King of England.

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 72
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 4:55:42 AM   
warspite1

A Scottish king ruled England long before the Act of Union in 1707. After the death of Queen Elizabeth in 1603, James I (James VI of Scotland) became king. He was the son of Mary Queen of Scots and, being without an heir herself, was chosen by Queen Elizabeth to be her successor. Indeed James - a Scot - was keen to see the two Kingdoms united under one parliament.

Just one of the myriad of ways in which the history our two countries have been intertwined.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/17/2014 6:42:33 AM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 73
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 6:32:06 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers

Pip

warspite1

To those south of the border who oppose a vote - why?
warspite1

I just don't understand where this comes from

Everything I've read, the people I've spoken to, regardless of whether Yes or No, one thing I have heard no one utter is "there should not be a vote". Why throw that in?

As has been made perfectly clear by those with both Yes and No views on this forum, this is NOT about subjugation, an oppressed people, a defeated, conquered nation (which I repeat Scotland wasn't). This is about an Act of Union, a free people with the equal rights of any other, and the right of those people to withdraw from that Union if that is the will of the majority.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/17/2014 7:33:14 AM >

Post #: 74
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 8:45:25 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers

Pip

warspite1

Well - I can let you go picking on other people's inaccuracies and then allowing you in a rather short statement to leave the vindictiveness at the YES Campaign's doorstep.

There's arses on both sides - thankfully they are in the minority. Heated debate is totally different to violent or individual targeting of voters.

But they are in the minority. The NO Campaign does not have a monopoly on arses...they are on both sides...

So please - lets keep this in perspective - there are a few, on BOTH sides who are way too extreme for anyone's liking. But this is a referendum debate like no other I have seen in 47 years. There's a 97% voting electorate and of those there's expected to be an 80-85% turnout. That is AMAZING in this modern Britain. For so long we've seen 30-35% turnouts on elections. The people are engaged and fiery - that is to be expected because a) They're Scottish - so already angry and b) there's issues that some can't understand why other want to stay part of

I wasn't going to butt in - it seemed to be going quite well by itself.

But I will give my view - and that is all it is - my view on the situation. This was in response to a post on Social Media about a YES vote winning and 50% of people being left feeling rather let down...and more in general that it's just not the right thing to do.

In 1979, the YES actually carried the day by 2 points - 33% to 31% - but they were denied it on the basis of not making a 40% minimum. Rather shockingly and (embarrassingly for me as a jock) 36% couldn't be arsed to get out their beds.

But everyone got on with their lives...and what was left of it

Gareth - "or is the objective of a few over-emotional" really? A few? If you believe the polls, there's at LEAST 50% of people wanting independence. A lot of people I speak to believe it's more...but the day will tell.

On the "emotional" thing - please don't anyone believe that the YES campaign has a monopoly on people with an emotional vote. I'll give you a personal example of why that isn't the case...my mother, my little brother and his wife are voting YES purely and utterly because they feel British and they align with that identity. That is an emotional vote...that's not looking at the risk and dangers of either vote - that's purely a heart vote...and there are MANY people in Scotland (a very large chunk of the 50% I would argue) that see themselves as British and will vote purely because of that.

As for the "freedom from England" stuff...I still cannot believe that people outside of the campaign are still grabbing at that. If you truly believe that, then you are missing the point. I'm absolutely certain you will be correct for a very small minority - but I am also absolutely certain for the vast majority involved in the drive for YES that it's because the people of Scotland genuinely want to have a government that is accountable to them. This has been accelerated by the banking scandal, tax breaks for the extremely wealthy, huge severance payouts for people who **** up in their jobs, 60% of the national debt being wracked up by two people in the last couple of decades...Alistair Darling and George Osborne, huge corporations (and very wealthy individuals) using aggressive tax avoidance schemes, the bedroom tax, the expenses scandal (which they are STILL up to), 1% pay rises, deferred, for NHS workers whilst politicians are touted as getting >10%, broken contracts for aircraft carriers and the aircraft that are meant to fly from them, a £14 billion rail system which stops short of Scotland even though those taxes fed south will be helping to pay...the list of Wreckminster failures goes on and on and on...

The people of Scotland (and indeed I believe rUK) are fed up with rule from Westminster and I hope they overwhelmingly vote to dump that corrupt institution. I believe many English, Welsh and Northern Irish people feel the exact same about the points above and would drop Westminster like a hot brick for a chance for something else - so I just don't get the animosity - it's being taken too personally.

Let me re-iterate this one last time...a referendum looms...It's not about any hatred of anything English, Welsh, Irish, British, Royal Family or United Kingdom

It's EVERYTHING to do with having enough of corrupt rule which is only interested in keeping the plebs under control by fear - which is exactly how the Better Together campaign have been operating...you'll never make it, you can't have this, we won't let you have that, the world won't want you

That is all I have to say on the matter...I look forward to the result and the aftermath...lets see how grown up these "grown men and women" really are.

Sorry for the long post...peace to all - I'm a lover really

I did follow the post up by saying idiocy in politicians isn't confined by borders - that is evident when you consider the backlash about the Scottish Prime Minister, Chancellors and so on and so forth (sorry rUK for those buggers being part of it).

I am now going to leave this and distance myself from it publicly and await the result.

Alba gu Brath

*edited for spelling and a couple of minor issues I wanted to add...and a few smileys

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 9/17/2014 11:28:38 AM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 75
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 11:40:01 AM   
Yogi the Great

Hey guys just an observation I hope doesn't upset anyone and let me make clear I HAVE NO OBJECTION TO THIS THEAD REMAINING UNLOCKED.

Interesting that early on a post was made predicting it may be locked. Not only is it still going, it looks like three or more of the Matrix staff are participating in it. This is a very interesting and informative thread. I just have a feeling that if one of us began posting details about why our American State should leave the U.S it wouldn't have lasted very long.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 76
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 12:02:36 PM   
Zap

1.A judgment call I presume. To make this an exception to the rule, This topic must effect many on the staff.

2.So far it has been informative and civil.

3.Would they close it if there was an important vote for separation of the US? There are many on staff from the US. So I presume they might make the same exception. as long as it remained civil.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 77
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 12:51:42 PM   
JudgeDredd

I also should have added this...

My post isn't meant to be "holier than thou" and I hope it hasn't come across as arrogant. I certainly do not speak for anyone else (though I refer to the rest of the nation) - everyone come polling day will make up their minds.

I will continue to live in England with all of the issues that may be left by a YES outcome (or otherwise) with my English rose and two fantastically beautiful and intelligent English kids. I will continue to drink in English pubs with my English friends and work with my English workmates whilst absorbing all the "illegal immigrant" jibes. I will also continue to do charity bike rides in aid of St Helena's Hospice which is an English registered charity.

For me - nothing changes except the prospect that maybe, just maybe, when I return home one day (when I retire I'm guessing) Scotland will be a better place than when I left it

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 78
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 2:00:36 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers

Pip

warspite1

To those south of the border who oppose a vote - why?
warspite1

I just don't understand where this comes from

Everything I've read, the people I've spoken to, regardless of whether Yes or No, one thing I have heard no one utter is "there should not be a vote". Why throw that in?

As has been made perfectly clear by those with both Yes and No views on this forum, this is NOT about subjugation, an oppressed people, a defeated, conquered nation (which I repeat Scotland wasn't). This is about an Act of Union, a free people with the equal rights of any other, and the right of those people to withdraw from that Union if that is the will of the majority.

Typo - should read "To those south of the border who oppose a YES vote - why?"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 79
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 2:12:47 PM   
radic202

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

quote:

Scotland was not a Conquered nation when it rejoined the English. In fact the King of Scotland became the King of England.

Conquered may be too strong a word in this case but when one nation or a group of people submit to another nation I consider it conquered. I am not versed on Scottish History so I may be mistaken here and thanks for the insight. Go read the Act of Quebec in 1774 and read what was imposed on the French Canadians in order to "abide" by British Rule. That was a long time ago and mainly forgotten by many but not the few, hence why we had 2 Referendums.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 80
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 2:12:50 PM   
radic202

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

quote:

Conquered may be too strong a word in this case but when one nation or a group of people submit to another nation I consider it conquered. I am not versed on Scottish History so I may be mistaken here and thanks for the insight. Go read the Act of Quebec in 1774 and read what was imposed on the French Canadians in order to "abide" by British Rule. That was a long time ago and mainly forgotten by many but not the few, hence why we had 2 Referendums.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 81
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 2:15:49 PM   
radic202

quote:

Scotland, a conquered nation? I don't think so.

Re the Queen and out of curiosity, why is that a personal dilemma?

With all due respect to you warspite1, I am probably the most anti-monarchist there is. The most anti-democratic form of political Leadership that has ever existed and the fact that it continues in this day and age confuses the heck out of me. I leave it at that as to not derail this Thread.

< Message edited by radic202 -- 9/17/2014 3:35:31 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 82
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 2:20:29 PM   
Mobius

I think a yes vote will give a lot of other little territories the idea they can break off and start their own country. But since the Eu has a number of pigmy states already in it so what's the harm? Let the Walloons go their separate way as well. I mean most of the countries in the EU aren't pulling their own weight militarily. And historically smaller countries were often forced to become part of a large nation any ways.

Post #: 83
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 3:02:19 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Hey guys just an observation I hope doesn't upset anyone and let me make clear I HAVE NO OBJECTION TO THIS THEAD REMAINING UNLOCKED.

Interesting that early on a post was made predicting it may be locked. Not only is it still going, it looks like three or more of the Matrix staff are participating in it. This is a very interesting and informative thread. I just have a feeling that if one of us began posting details about why our American State should leave the U.S it wouldn't have lasted very long.

I think its great that people who clearly disagree profoundly, over something that for some is an issue of personal identity, can debate with politeness.

Picking up on:

quote:

and keeping to the spirit. Not true. Police Scotland have got very annoyed today with Unionist politicians making these claims (& this is the second time in a few weeks they have felt the need to make such an announcement). There is really no widespread nastiness, there a few nutters and there is no evidence that tomorrow (& friday) will be anything but perfectly normal ... except that on thursday 80-85% of the adult population will be voting and on friday 50%+/- of the population will be acquiring a hangover.

Also the sheer volume of voters is why I do not believe any opinion poll (& not because they want to be wrong but they have no basis for their usual judgements). The usual electoral roll in Scotland is around 80% of the eligible population and, in Scottish or UK elections, around 55% vote.

For this, the electoral roll is 97.?% and the likely turn out is 85%. The pollsters really have no means to gauge the impact (nor do I, nor does anyone). But having put effort into voter registration myself, I'd suspect many are not going to vote for the first time (or the first time in a long time) for the status quo. But, in a profound way, I don't care. We've managed to prove that democratic politics in a western Country is not an elite sport from which the bulk are excluded - that alone is worth a lot.

quote:

With all due respect to you warspite1, I am probably the most anti-monarchist there is. The most anti-democratic form of political Leadership that has ever existed and the fact that it continues in this day and age confuses the heck out of me. I leave it at that as to not derail this Thread.

mmhh, we can an off line debate as to which of us is the most anti-monarchist . I fancy turning a variety of Royal 'palaces' in Scotland to a more democratic use when we get around to sensible land reform . Chazza et al, can attend on the same basis as the rest of the population if they so wish.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 9/17/2014 4:05:41 PM >

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 84
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 3:04:31 PM   
Chickenboy

I'm watching the vote with interest over on this side of the pond. I'll leave my personal hopes for the vote aside for the time being, but am bound to ask those in the know how a simple majority (50% +1) of the popular vote could dissolve a nation state?

It's very difficult to change our Constitution, for example. As it should be. It takes the ratification from state legislatures (Constitutional Congress) or two-thirds vote of both houses of Congress. A proposed Constitutional amendment is passed when it is ratified by three-quarters (38 of 50) states.

Point being: it's difficult, laborious and time-consuming to amend important pieces of one's political birthright. How did it come to a simple 'thumbs up / down' popular vote with 50% sufficient to pass? It wasn't so long ago that 50% of Canadians thought Justin Bieber, Alan Thicke or Celine Dion were good ideas.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 85
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 3:10:30 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I'm watching the vote with interest over on this side of the pond. I'll leave my personal hopes for the vote aside for the time being, but am bound to ask those in the know how a simple majority (50% +1) of the popular vote could dissolve a nation state?

It's very difficult to change our Constitution, for example. As it should be. It takes the ratification from state legislatures (Constitutional Congress) or two-thirds vote of both houses of Congress. A proposed Constitutional amendment is passed when it is ratified by three-quarters (38 of 50) states.

Point being: it's difficult, laborious and time-consuming to amend important pieces of one's political birthright. How did it come to a simple 'thumbs up / down' popular vote with 50% sufficient to pass? It wasn't so long ago that 50% of Canadians thought Justin Bieber, Alan Thicke or Celine Dion were good ideas.

The reason for 50% +1 has its basis in an earlier devolution referendum in 1979. Then 33% of Scots voted yes, 31% no, and 36% couldnae be bothered. Now it was a rigged vote in many ways, one was it had a threshold criteria - more yes and over 40%. It was rigged as the baseline was the 1977 electoral roll, so if you'd died, or moved, you were on the roll and counted as not voting (or for all intents and purposes voting no).

With that bit of history, there was no way could this time be anything but win the popular vote on the day. Now as we are likely to be seeing 85% turnout tomorrow (my post above), that may be less relevant.

Your constraints and checks and balances will come into play in the post-vote, pre-independence negotiations (assuming a Yes vote). Both sides will have to compromise, as I've written elsewhere 'the last 3 months have been filled with good politics and rubbish public policy making'. Whatever the outcome, we need to get back to realism.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 9/17/2014 4:11:28 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 86
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 3:14:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

The reason for 50% +1 has its basis in an earlier devolution referendum in 1979. Then 33% of Scots voted yes, 31% no, and 36% couldnae be bothered. Now it was a rigged vote in many ways, one was it had a threshold criteria - more yes and over 40%. It was rigged as the baseline was the 1977 electoral roll, so if you'd died, or moved, you were on the roll and counted as not voting (or for all intents and purposes voting no).

With that bit of history, there was no way could this time be anything but win the popular vote on the day. Now as we are likely to be seeing 85% turnout tomorrow (my post above), that may be less relevant.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. There was no way but a popular (50% +1) vote on the day? How did that number (50%) get enshrined instead of the previous 40% or 60% or 66.6% (two-thirds) or 75% (three-quarters)?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 87
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 3:23:40 PM   
loki100

quote:

Conquered may be too strong a word in this case but when one nation or a group of people submit to another nation I consider it conquered. I am not versed on Scottish History so I may be mistaken here and thanks for the insight.

We are not 'unfree' or a 'colony' or even 'oppressed' in any conventional sense.

But, the Act of Union (1707) was profoundly undemocratic, it was passed by small cabal of rich nobles (Robert Burns' poem 'parcel of rogues in a nation' captures this perfectly ... if you can read lowland Scots). There were widespread riots. Indirectly it led to the Jacobite revolts of 1715 and 1745.

Now they are contentious, there was a degree of revolt against the Act of Union in them - but because the Act of Union had led to Hannoverian (Protestant) Kings and the force behind both revolts was support for the Catholic Stuarts who had been overthrown in 1688. In Scotland, both were civil wars, fractured on Highland vs Lowland and Protestant vs Catholic, and to a lesser extent east coast vs west coast (we do tend to war with ourselves, but this more or less reflected who had gained from 1707 and who had been disadvantaged). The defeat of the Stuarts in 1746 was widely welcomed in Protestant lowland Scotland.

What followed was a near conscious decision by our middle classes to colonise the new State (& the Empire it forged). For the poor, it was less good, but many went to the Americas or Australia (some voluntarily) and of course serving in the British army was an option. In the latter respect its worth remembering that both in the European wars in the era 1700-12 and the Seven Years Wars, Scottish battalions served both the French and the English - and clashed at Malpaquarte (spelling? in 1707) and possibly at Minden in the Seven Years War.

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 88
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 3:26:24 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

quote:

Your constraints and checks and balances will come into play in the post-vote, pre-independence negotiations (assuming a Yes vote). Both sides will have to compromise, as I've written elsewhere 'the last 3 months have been filled with good politics and rubbish public policy making'. Whatever the outcome, we need to get back to realism.

The fact the (potentially) a single person could decide whether half of Scotland are stripped of the citizenship they want to keep doesn't sit well with me either. I think that the key 'realism' that the Yes are losing sight of is that once there is a Yes vote all the leverage is gone. I don't believe that enough Yes understand the anger that the rest of Britain has that a tiny % get to break up our nation. There are far better ways of fixing broken politics than taking your ball and going home (something of a childish metaphor, but it seems most apt). Want a fairer society? Use the taxing powers that already exists (and the broader ones already set to come online in 2016) to build it. Show the rest of the UK a better way - it's not like there aren't a lot of people who feel the same way.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 89
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/17/2014 3:27:03 PM   
loki100

quote:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. There was no way but a popular (50% +1) vote on the day? How did that number (50%) get enshrined instead of the previous 40% or 60% or 66.6% (two-thirds) or 75% (three-quarters)?

Sorry dippy typing.

In effect what I meant was of the votes caste tomorrow, the side with one more vote than the other wins. Since its a binary choice (Yes/No) one side will get at least 50% of the vote, plus one more.

Unless of course we really are thrawn enough (a good Scots word) to go and actually split evenly ... God knows what happens then

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Scots Are they free Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI