Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Scots Are they free

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Scots Are they free Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 7:49:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

A little bit of light heartedness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BKrh43rhI
warspite1

Some good stuff here - I like the real reason that Salmond is a Scottish Nationalist

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 151
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 7:58:35 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

GERS is indeed pretty clear:

quote:

In 2012-13, total Scottish non-North Sea public sector revenue was estimated at £47.6 billion, (8.2% of total UK non-North Sea revenue). Including a per capita share of North Sea revenue, total Scottish public sector revenue was estimated at £48.1 billion (8.2% of UK total public sector revenue). When an illustrative geographical share of North Sea revenue is included, total Scottish public sector revenue was estimated at £53.1 billion (9.1% of UK total public sector revenue).

In 2012-13, total public sector expenditure for the benefit of Scotland by the UK Government, Scottish Government and all other parts of the public sector, plus a per capita share of UK debt interest payments, was £65.2 billion. This is equivalent to 9.3% of total UK public sector expenditure.

So that even with the (heavily pro-Yes) geographical share of the oil money, 9.1% of revenue, but took 9.3% of expenditure. Otherwise 8.2% revenue, 9.3% expenditure.
http://scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2014/03/7888

So not sure where your figures are from, perhaps you can cite them.

Cheers

Pip

Hi

first GERS is not pro-yes, one reason I cite it (& use it other research) is its based on an agreed methodology agreed between the statisticians of the Scottish Govt and the UK Office for National Stats. Believe me, they are stats people to their finger tips, they don't do propaganda, they do rigorous work (with assumptions and estimates and all the rest of it).

Second, Oil on a geographic basis is the standard calculation, the alternative makes no sense, but is included to show the assumptions being made.

Third, the ratio shifts from year to year. The last GERS has relatively low tax from Oil as Osbourne messed up in an earlier budget which meant some fields were closed. My 9.6% is an average from 2008.

The basic point, is the expenditure bit (the 9.3%) is generally agreed (you need to make some assumptions such as per capita allocation of activities that happen geographically away from Scotland). The income side seems to vary from 9.1% to 9.8%.

Remember also they are also %s of different numbers, one is % of UK govt expenditure, the other is % of UK fiscal receipts.

Even if the 9.1% is the real income figure (for ever, not just a low point in a wider cycle), that still indicates a rough balance between spend in Scotland and revenues from Scotland. One element in the independence argument is of course we are paying for things we really do not want - such as Trident in that 9.3%. The expenditure also includes our share of servicing the UK national debt.

Roger

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 152
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 8:04:41 PM   
warspite1

Out of interest, I keep hearing that Scotland doesn't want this and doesn't want that. If we take Trident as an example, how do we know this? Has there been some kind of ballot north of the border? Just curious.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 153
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 8:13:12 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

A little bit of light heartedness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BKrh43rhI
warspite1

Some good stuff here - I like the real reason that Salmond is a Scottish Nationalist

"CLAUDIA ya cow! Ye goat wit ye waanted"

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 154
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 8:15:30 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Out of interest, I keep hearing that Scotland doesn't want this and doesn't want that. If we take Trident as an example, how do we know this? Has there been some kind of ballot north of the border? Just curious.

I don't know. I believe it's always been the SNP policy to get rid of them.

Thing is - SNP are only in power until 2016. If another party came to power in 2016 (and it's widely believed one is - most people believe the SNP will be a non entity when the referendum is done), I guess it could be reversed. Whether that would be popular with the Scottish, I have no idea.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 155
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 8:22:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

I don't know. I believe it's always been the SNP policy to get rid of them.

Thing is - SNP are only in power until 2016. If another party came to power in 2016 (and it's widely believed one is - most people believe the SNP will be a non entity when the referendum is done), I guess it could be reversed. Whether that would be popular with the Scottish, I have no idea.
warspite1

Mmmmm thing is, if you want a separate Scotland and its really important to you, you vote SNP - there's not really an alternative (at least until it happens). But that means you vote for them regardless of what else they want until you get it.

That's democracy. The party I vote for, I certainly don't agree with everything, I just vote for the bunch who I think will screw me and my country the least.

It seems there just might be a lot of supposition about what people confidently state the Scots do or don't want.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 156
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 8:42:00 PM   
loki100

for lovers of trivia

.... the count for the Western Isles is going to be delayed by 4 hours as due to fog, they need to send the ballot boxes by boat from some of the small islands (places like Barra with 150 voters) instead (naturally conspiracy theories have already started). There are times when I really like this wierd, divided, quirky country.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 157
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 8:46:27 PM   
Orm

quote:

There is a reason the Romans couldn't defeat Scotland.

In my opinion this is something of a myth.

In my humble opinion the Romans could have occupied it if they had wanted to. I deem it likely that they didn't consider it worth the cost of doing so. The Romans went into the area and then withdrew without being defeated by the Caledonians.

Maybe this isn't the right thread for me to post about this so if we should discuss this further a new thread might be better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Scotland

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 158
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 8:48:12 PM   
JudgeDredd

I can't possibly disagree with that. I may even have been guilty of saying such a thing myself...though if I do use any term relating to a nation or group of people, I'm generally either just giving my general opinion on what I have been led or to believe OR I am taking the small opinion poll of my own friends/family/extended friend/family etc, etc.

I actually do not know specifically what the want of the Scottish population is regarding nukes...though I fully expect it to be divided in some fashion

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 159
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 8:49:37 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

GERS is indeed pretty clear:

quote:

In 2012-13, total Scottish non-North Sea public sector revenue was estimated at £47.6 billion, (8.2% of total UK non-North Sea revenue). Including a per capita share of North Sea revenue, total Scottish public sector revenue was estimated at £48.1 billion (8.2% of UK total public sector revenue). When an illustrative geographical share of North Sea revenue is included, total Scottish public sector revenue was estimated at £53.1 billion (9.1% of UK total public sector revenue).

In 2012-13, total public sector expenditure for the benefit of Scotland by the UK Government, Scottish Government and all other parts of the public sector, plus a per capita share of UK debt interest payments, was £65.2 billion. This is equivalent to 9.3% of total UK public sector expenditure.

So that even with the (heavily pro-Yes) geographical share of the oil money, 9.1% of revenue, but took 9.3% of expenditure. Otherwise 8.2% revenue, 9.3% expenditure.
http://scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2014/03/7888

So not sure where your figures are from, perhaps you can cite them.

Cheers

Pip

Hi

first GERS is not pro-yes, one reason I cite it (& use it other research) is its based on an agreed methodology agreed between the statisticians of the Scottish Govt and the UK Office for National Stats. Believe me, they are stats people to their finger tips, they don't do propaganda, they do rigorous work (with assumptions and estimates and all the rest of it).

Second, Oil on a geographic basis is the standard calculation, the alternative makes no sense, but is included to show the assumptions being made.

Third, the ratio shifts from year to year. The last GERS has relatively low tax from Oil as Osbourne messed up in an earlier budget which meant some fields were closed. My 9.6% is an average from 2008.

The basic point, is the expenditure bit (the 9.3%) is generally agreed (you need to make some assumptions such as per capita allocation of activities that happen geographically away from Scotland). The income side seems to vary from 9.1% to 9.8%.

Remember also they are also %s of different numbers, one is % of UK govt expenditure, the other is % of UK fiscal receipts.

Even if the 9.1% is the real income figure (for ever, not just a low point in a wider cycle), that still indicates a rough balance between spend in Scotland and revenues from Scotland. One element in the independence argument is of course we are paying for things we really do not want - such as Trident in that 9.3%. The expenditure also includes our share of servicing the UK national debt.

Roger

While I appreciate that I'm not going to change your mind, the statement that geographical basis for oil is the only one that makes sense doesn't really stand up. I'd also say you can accept their number or not accept their numbers, but you can't just pull 9.6% out of your hat and say you are backed by GERS.

The argument about Trident (or frankly, whatever) is the same one as made by extremists in the US ("I don't want my tax dollars going to X!") and is just as unreasonable. That's how democracy works.

And mentioning it includes a share of the UK national debt - when Scotland IS part of the UK - I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Anyway, the vote is done and we shall see.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 160
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 8:50:33 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

In my humble opinion the Romans could have occupied it if they had wanted to. I deem it likely that they didn't consider it worth the cost of doing so. The Romans went into the area and then withdrew without being defeated by the Caledonians.

Maybe this isn't the right thread for me to post about this so if we should discuss this further a new thread might be better?

I totally expect they done a full recce and thought "Bugger that! It's cold, wet, windy and the men wear skirts...lets go back to Rome and say there's nothing there"

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 161
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 8:51:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

warspite1

Well the Scots aren't the only ones. The Cornish believe that they should be independent from the UK. They were never ruled by the Romans apparently in the southwest peninsula......

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 162
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 9:04:25 PM   
warspite1

The polling booths are closed. What's done is done.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 163
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 9:07:25 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Who won?!! Did we win?? huh? huh? huh? Which way did they go george, which way did they go? (tongue hanging out dripping with drool anticipating the answer??!!)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 164
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 9:12:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Who won?!! Did we win?? huh? huh? huh? Which way did they go george, which way did they go? (tongue hanging out dripping with drool anticipating the answer??!!)
warspite1

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 165
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 9:52:50 PM   
Aurelian

The result should be known sometime after 0500GMT I've read.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 166
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 10:16:21 PM   
Mobius

A yes vote means Great Britain will have to change its name to Adequate Britain.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 167
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 10:29:57 PM   
warspite1

I don't see how we can have Britain in the title as Britain includes Scotland...

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 168
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 10:52:49 PM   
Aurelian

Isn't Great Britain the name of the island itself?

If Scotland leaves I suppose the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would have to drop the United part?

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 9/18/2014 11:56:55 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 169
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 10:55:29 PM   
Wolfe1759

We'll see what happens tomorrow morning, hopefully I won't end up having to support England as the Home Nation in the Calcutta Cup in the next Six Nations

Although to be honest it is a lot more serious than that.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 170
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 11:24:02 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

If Scotland leaves I suppose the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would have to drop the United part?

I guess they could keep the "United" part couldn't they? There would still be England, Ireland and Wales, right?

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 9/19/2014 12:24:29 AM >

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 171
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 11:33:41 PM   
wodin

Really can't see them going for independence. Those undecided are likely to go for the status quo. I reckon it wont be as close as they all think. People on the whole just haven't got the guts to go for it.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 172
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/18/2014 11:56:17 PM   
Wolfe1759

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

I guess they could keep the "United" part couldn't they? There would still be England, Ireland and Wales, right?

Nearly right - we could have the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, hopefully not though.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 173
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/19/2014 12:10:40 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

quote:

quote:

Nearly right - we could have the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, hopefully not though.

Out of curiosity, would it really make a great difference if Scotland split off? I guess it would be a bit like California seceding from the United States maybe? On the other hand you would all still be united under the EU more or less, right? So it would be maybe a bit like the United States splitting up and then all of North and South America uniting under an American Union. In a sense it would negate a little local power of a single state but it would still have representation in the EU. Maybe it won't be so bad. If it happens that is.

It's kind of strange, on the one hand there appears to be an obvious movement in much of Europe to split into local areas of Interest but on the other hand there are also the admirable events of late for Europeans to also come together under a larger aegis of cooperation. It sure beats 200 years ago when every European country was practically at war with every other at different times. At least that's maybe an outsider's view.

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 9/19/2014 1:27:50 AM >

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 174
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/19/2014 12:40:51 AM   
Wolfe1759

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Out of curiosity, would it really make a great difference if Scotland split off? I guess it would be a bit like California seceding from the United States maybe? On the other hand you would all still be united under the EU more or less, right? So it would be maybe a bit like the United States splitting up and then all of North and South America uniting under an American Union. In a sense it would negate a little local power of a single state but it would still have representation in the EU. Maybe it won't be so bad. If it happens that is.

It's kind of strange, on the one hand there appears to be an obvious movement in much of Europe to split into local areas of Interest but on the other hand there are also the admirable events of late for Europeans to also come together under a larger aegis of cooperation. It sure beats 200 years ago when every European country was practically at war with every other at different times. At least that's maybe an outsider's view.

On the face of it fairly straightforward questions - but after two years of debate and campaigning no straightforward answers.

"would it really make a great difference if Scotland split off?" - possibly a huge difference to Scotland and / or the rest of the UK. or then again maybe not.

"you would all still be united under the EU" - not if Spain uses it's veto on an independent Scotland "swift" re-entry or for that matter if the potential upcoming UK referendum takes whatever at that point is the UK out of the EU.

Didn't you chaps have a bit of a tussle about secession yourselves a few years back

Post #: 175
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/19/2014 1:02:53 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Funny thing is the Scottish get a better deal per head than the English..and if it's a no vote it will get even better.

Doubtful.

Scottish national debt will have to assume a higher bond rate than the English Pound without a currency union. I've seen anywhere from a 1.5-2.7% premium over English debt for Scottish currency-whatever that may be. When combined with their probable social program costs, the additional cost for the Scots to borrow money on the international stage annualized will be a very significant impact. I've seen figures that it will be the equivalent of their expenditures on University and higher education. The same goes for payments to pensions-whether these will be honored in devalued and devaluable Scottish currency or English Pound Sterling is a matter of acute interest to anyone (everyone) with a pension in Scotland.

RBS and other banks are looking increasingly to divest and head South of the border. Contingency plans are being dusted off and there's some very nervous banks and bankers north and south of the border. Were I an English bank, I would be making arrangements to exit Scotland-regardless of the vote-who knows if this sort of thing will happen again in a few years?

I wonder whether this is a bell which, once rung, cannot be unrung. I would not feel pleased with a state that tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to secede from our Union here. The act of asking your wife for a divorce and then retracting that request 24 hours later ("I was kidding, sweetheart!") is unlikely to reverse the mistrust and anguish that the ill-advised question produces.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 176
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/19/2014 1:22:14 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Except that doesn't make sense. There is only one Kingdom; England. Wales is a principality and Northern Ireland is a province.

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 177
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/19/2014 1:30:58 AM   
DicedT

The board game Hammer of the Scots and the Scottish referendum: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/09/18/like_stratego_with_more_bagpipes_scotland_independence_referendum_hammer_of_the_scots

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 178
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/19/2014 1:36:02 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

would it really make a difference if my country disappeared? Well yes actually it would. All be united under the EU more or less right? Er no. Nothing of the sort. There is no Federal Europe - at least not yet, and hopefully not in my lifetime.

So just to be clear, if a load of States left the USA, you would be fine with that? And if, instead of the USA being a single sovereign nation in her own right, she was instead just a state within a wider Greater American Union, with a parliament in say Brasilia, and with what is left of the US no longer free to make her own important laws, that is not an issue for you?

Post #: 179
RE: Scots Are they free - 9/19/2014 1:51:18 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

I don't think so. It's called such due to the union between the kingdoms of England and Scotland. Wales was never a kingdom.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Scots Are they free Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI