Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Universe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Universe Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/1/2014 4:44:17 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chet Guiles

Thanks. This is a great mod. Really enjoying it.

Thanks for the kind words Chet, glad you're enjoying it. We're working to make
version 2.0 even better!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Chet Guiles)
Post #: 91
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/1/2014 8:27:00 PM   
Chet Guiles

A question if you would be so kind.

In this set of mods the Federation is not allowed to research beam weapons. But when I look at the file, it does not forbid that tech. Is there somewhere I am not looking that does this? I can use other techs, of course, but beam weapons interact with other tech and restrict how far I can research them.

Any secret codes hidden in your mods?

Chet

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 92
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/1/2014 9:18:27 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

A question if you would be so kind.

In this set of mods the Federation is not allowed to research beam weapons. But when I look at the file, it does not forbid that tech. Is there somewhere I am not looking that does this? I can use other techs, of course, but beam weapons interact with other tech and restrict how far I can research them.

Any secret codes hidden in your mods?

Chet

Hello Chet;

I'm in the belief that you're misinterpreting something. The only beam weapons tech the Federation is disallowed research is the Disruptor and Borg Cutting Beam branches of the tree as shown below. They can research all the other regular and gravitic beam weapons and the phasers branch of course. Are you looking at the X'd out races in the Phaser tech treeand thinking that?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 93
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/3/2014 1:16:38 AM   
Chet Guiles

Here is a screen shot of what happens. Note that I can't work with advanced beam weapons and it also prevents me from working on gravitics. Any thoughts. I am playing around this, naturally.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 94
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/3/2014 1:59:17 AM   
ehsumrell1

Weird Chet. Have you tinkered with either the Federation race file or the research.txt
file?

Please zip the following files from your mod copy and PM the zipfile to me for a look:

Federation.txt (Race File)
Research.txt
Components.txt

I'll take an evaluative look and see where your problem lies. Your Federation tech tree branch for
Beam Weapons should look exactly like my screenshot in post #93 unless it's been altered.

Post #: 95
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/3/2014 3:46:52 AM   
Tophat1815

I'd like to see that save as well.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 96
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/3/2014 3:47:26 AM   
Chet Guiles

I have no clue how to PM on this forum. But have attached zip file to this message. Nothing in them that anybody couldn't see.

BTW I have done some playing with the files, but didn't think I'd buggered them up that badly. I noticed this phenom even first time I loaded the mod and had tried to undo it.

Any help appreciated. Still love playing with the mod.

Chet

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chet Guiles -- 9/3/2014 4:48:09 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 97
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/3/2014 4:34:29 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

I have no clue how to PM on this forum. But have attached zip file to this message. Nothing in them that anybody couldn't see.

BTW I have done some playing with the files, but didn't think I'd buggered them up that badly. I noticed this phenom even first time I loaded the mod and had tried to undo it.

Any help appreciated. Still love playing with the mod.

Chet

Hi Chet!

Found your problem! As you were making modifications to the Federation race file, you entered a zero (0)
as highlighted below in the section shown.
What that effectively did is disallow use and research of the
component #0 (Pulse Blaster) and disallowed research of the Enhanced Beam Weapon tech branch. Just delete
the zero, save the file, and everything will be back to normal. Glad to be of help!

'Disallowed ComponentIds: comma-separated list of component Id values that cannot be researched by this race
DisallowedComponentIds ;0 <----- Delete the zero

Also, just for your future reference, if you need to place a zero (0) as a value in any of the race
files, in most cases now, you use -1 instead. Just FYI!

Post #: 98
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/3/2014 3:24:19 PM   
Chet Guiles

Thank you! I am never sure whether to use a zero or just nothing in some of these files. Guess I betrter read the modding manual again. Much appreciated, because I love the mod! Looking forward to 2.0...

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 99
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/3/2014 5:35:00 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

Thank you! I am never sure whether to use a zero or just nothing in some of these files. Guess I betrter read the modding manual again. Much appreciated, because I love the mod! Looking forward to 2.0...

Actually, 'nothing' works better than '-1' IMO.

Glad to be of service! Enjoy the mod Chet!

Post #: 100
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/4/2014 1:31:58 AM   
Chet Guiles

Thanks again. I downloaded and reinstalled the whole mod, then VERY CAREFULLY made the couple of changes I wanted. And it worked fine. BTW if you design a ship with components that are not available under your start-up conditions, it won't auto-build any of them. I tried to mod my explorers to have some weapons and repair facilities, but didn't have the repair capability, so it just didn't make any explorers. Duh. Lessons learned.

< Message edited by Chet Guiles -- 9/4/2014 2:32:39 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 101
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/4/2014 3:25:38 PM   
ChaapaNA

I have a simple question. Can you play the mod even if you only have the base game? The thing is that I've tried to start the mod up several times, but it refuses to change the theme from the default one.... hence, I wonder. :)

Post #: 102
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/4/2014 5:38:54 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChaapaNA

I have a simple question. Can you play the mod even if you only have the base game? The thing is that I've tried to start the mod up several times, but it refuses to change the theme from the default one.... hence, I wonder. :)

The Picard mod you find at the beginning of this thread is for Distant worlds universe. So it will not run with just the base game. There was an earlier release a few years ago that required base game,return of Shakri(2nd expansion) and legends(3rd expansion). So to play the mod you'd have to upgrade.

(in reply to ChaapaNA)
Post #: 103
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/7/2014 12:01:50 PM   
Hunter20nov

Good Mod thx ! hope the New 2.0 Version come soon.

And @Das24680 Play your Romulan Game ! Hope you can beat the Federation! more Updates plz ;)

(sry for bad english....)

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 104
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/7/2014 6:54:17 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hunter20nov

Good Mod thx ! hope the New 2.0 Version come soon...

Thanks Hunter20nov!

It's not set in stone, but I'm working toward Version 2.0's release near the end of the
month. Hopefully around Stardate 2014.30.9. Putting quite a few quality additions in the
mod while attempting to keep it compatible in relation to future updates and current
accessory mods is challenging at best. Keep your shields up!

(in reply to Hunter20nov)
Post #: 105
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/13/2014 7:56:23 PM   
Tozze101

Sorry to ask this but will you be changing the disruptor animation? It almost looks like the titan beam at the moment. Could it be changed to be more of a green bolt and fire more in a straight line instead of spread out all over the place?
Also, will you be adding the plasma torp for the Romulans?

Other then that i have been enjoying the mod. I have to set the game at highest difficulty though or else i will just steamroll everyone. Only race that keeps up is usually the Federation :P

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 106
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/14/2014 5:29:18 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tozze101

Sorry to ask this but will you be changing the disruptor animation? It almost looks like the titan beam at the moment. Could it be changed to be more of a green bolt and fire more in a straight line instead of spread out all over the place?
Also, will you be adding the plasma torp for the Romulans?

Other then that i have been enjoying the mod. I have to set the game at highest difficulty though or else i will just steamroll everyone. Only race that keeps up is usually the Federation :P

Glad you're enjoying our work! I'm planning on some subtle animation changes in the weapons and warp
animations. I agree with you concerning the disruptors and will look into that. Concerning Plasma
Torpedos, there already are Phased Plasma Torpedoes that can be researched in the tech tree. I can
look further into the Advanced Plasma Physics line and possibly 'specify' a torpedo tech line
for the Romulans. We'll see! Still a couple weeks away though. As far as play balance goes, I'm
looking at the balance (or over/under balance) of the play between the major versus minor empires.
I really want to focus on that so that even when you'd expect one of the major powers to be a winner,
if the right combination of events happen, a minor empire can kick some major butt as well.

(in reply to Tozze101)
Post #: 107
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/20/2014 1:47:49 AM   
Tozze101

quote:

Glad you're enjoying our work! I'm planning on some subtle animation changes in the weapons and warp
animations. I agree with you concerning the disruptors and will look into that. Concerning Plasma
Torpedos, there already are Phased Plasma Torpedoes that can be researched in the tech tree. I can
look further into the Advanced Plasma Physics line and possibly 'specify' a torpedo tech line
for the Romulans. We'll see! Still a couple weeks away though. As far as play balance goes, I'm
looking at the balance (or over/under balance) of the play between the major versus minor empires.
I really want to focus on that so that even when you'd expect one of the major powers to be a winner,
if the right combination of events happen, a minor empire can kick some major butt as well.

Yes i noticed the plasma torps but hated that i had to research quantum torps and photon first. The research tree really need an overhaul especially vanilla. I was thinking everyone could start with the ordinary torps then continue to photon torps then it could split up into quantum/plasma and further down the line split into tricobalt, chronotorps and shockwave. Plasma and quantum should though still continue to be an equally strong alternative to trico/chrono etc but require more upgrades. Some of the torps would be illegal to some races though. Like Federation would probably not use plasma torps. Then you could focus on the type you want.

For the disruptors i noticed they are all called typeI disruptor. Maybe just remove the typeI and call it disruptor cannon. The research description could still be called type1,2,3 and so on.

Btw is it possible to add special tech for each race? I was thinking like a early tech cloaking and singularity core for Romulans, seperate armor, (but alittle stronger) and better manouver tech for klingons, better docking/cargo pods or better commerce center for Ferengi too boost their economy? If it's possible you could also add a sort of boost to morale when cardassians enslave people. These techs could also make them behave like you want and some of the traits of each race could be removed to make them a little weaker but still strong in their own special way.

I fear however that it would take some time. Oh and i seem to have the special tech from vanilla in my game. Can this be removed or replaced with the suggested upgrades?

These are just some suggestions on how i see a Star Trek mod but i don't have the talent to create it myself :P

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 108
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/20/2014 2:37:08 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

...These are just some suggestions on how i see a Star Trek mod but i don't have the talent to create it myself :P

Hello Tozze101!

Good suggestions all. Some are even in contemplation. Unfortunately though, as I've respectfully stated many posts before, our goal of this mod is to address "the needs of the many"!

We're attempting to make our mods close to canon, yet also as easily adaptable to modification as possible. This way, future updates for the base game do not affect the mod. In addition, other UI, Graphic and other mods (such as Das123's GEM mod) are easily used with our mods without breaking anything or causing errors.

Considering this, using the Universe Modding Guide, most of what you wish to see in our mod you can do
without much exertion. Just take one thing at a time. You can make the mod perform as you wish to see it and so can others. Enjoy!

(in reply to Tozze101)
Post #: 109
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/22/2014 6:44:29 AM   
Tozze101

Don't take it the wrong way though. I appreciate everything you are doing here. Would never be able to do all this myself and i have been enjoying the first release for a long time.

That i can understand. The only thing that bugged me was the big trait boost and the disruptor animation but playing on hardest difficulty seemed to scale down that boost a little (atleast for me). Federation are still owning in every game though but i guess that's what the humans did in vanilla also.

Maybe i will...we just have to see when you release it. I'm still looking forward to playing it and i will probably be too lazy to mod it myself. I'm just glad someone finally took the time to update this. Good luck!
:)

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 110
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/22/2014 5:38:32 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

Don't take it the wrong way though. I appreciate everything you are doing here. Would never be able to do all this myself and i have been enjoying the first release for a long time...

Don't be concerned Tozze101, the Trek Team is all thick-skinned (mostly ).

Glad you're enjoying what we've put together. Version 1.0 is just an adaptation and extension of what Igard
began and we've made the first version what we thought was best for all. Version 2.0 will be more in-depth and
have more interesting game-play. More races and one "surprise" race addition is going to add very exciting
options on how to play the game!

(in reply to Tozze101)
Post #: 111
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/22/2014 5:58:34 PM   
Hunter20nov

Hi again :)

Is in the Mod the AI Improvenment Mod include ? Or can installed it in the mod folder ?

and again really good mod. Hope 2.0 come soon ;)

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 112
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/22/2014 11:39:40 PM   
ehsumrell1

Hello Hunter20nov;

No, the AI Improvement mod is not included. We feel that with the combination of the diverse
racial traits and the race character interactions of the 22 races, the AI does a good job in
the game. Icemania's AI Improvement Mod is a very good mod. It addresses both the 'Vanilla'
game and Haree78's Extended mod very well. But since our mod does make changes to many files
it is not directly compatible. Although, with study, one can integrate select parts of the mod
if one wishes.

WARNING! Be careful if you make the Borg more powerful than they are! You've been warned!

(in reply to Hunter20nov)
Post #: 113
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/23/2014 1:26:57 PM   
zoommooz11

Not sure if this has been mentioned in other posts, but just bought this game, and downloaded your mod without playing vanilla at all. One of the first things I noticed was that ship build rate seems very fast, and one of the things I always liked about Star trek was the sense that each ship is a major investment in terms of build time. So, in my own game I changed the construction build rate in the componets.txt from 200 to 75. Is the the right way to go about slowing ship production rates (as opposed to worry about how the ai will handle these changes).

Also, really looking forward to 2.0, as I love 4X space mods with Star trek as close to canon as possible.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 114
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/23/2014 7:18:10 PM   
ehsumrell1

Hello zoommooz11, and welcome to the forums!

Yes, that is a way to do it globally, and it will affect the balance slightly, but will make for a
more lengthy game. In addition, if/when the Legendary Pirates appear (which is hard-coded and we
can't do anything about) you may find races getting their butts handed to them due to their lack
of fleet ship capacity. Just FYI!

(in reply to zoommooz11)
Post #: 115
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/26/2014 5:48:47 AM   
Brainsucker

Can you help me? I want to put extra Federation shipset to the mod (I want to merge the TNG, TOS, and Enterprise era ships to the mod), can you tell me which shipset is free and can be used without any problem?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 116
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/26/2014 6:33:42 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brainsucker

Can you help me? I want to put extra Federation shipset to the mod (I want to merge the TNG, TOS, and Enterprise era ships to the mod), can you tell me which shipset is free and can be used without any problem?

Hello Brainsucker, you would use shipset family 26 for that. Have fun!

(in reply to Brainsucker)
Post #: 117
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 9/26/2014 10:59:28 AM   
zoommooz11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brainsucker

This sounds good as I start in the pre warp era too. Any way that you could post the altered file(s) and point me in the direction of the relevant graphics download?

Thanks

(in reply to Brainsucker)
Post #: 118
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 10/2/2014 2:40:21 PM   
Bloodly

A thought occurs immediately upon playing Borg for about five minutes(I'm completely dumb concerning modding);

Is it possible to force 'fighter' type craft to target friendlies-only?
Is it possible to have a weapon that does negative damage(Healing the craft)?

...Nanite repair craft, shield restoration craft, etc?

(in reply to zoommooz11)
Post #: 119
RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Univ... - 10/4/2014 5:10:50 PM   
LordTareq

Thanks for this mod, it makes Distant Worlds my favorite Trek game, a better Birth of the Federation!

I hope you have plans for the future for more race exclusive technology lines like spiral-wave disruptors for the Cardassians, plasma torpedoes for the Romulans & Gorn etc.. in other words some more racial flavor. It would also be wonderful to see some more show-like weapon effects for ships, like green disruptor beams and cannon fire for Romulans/Klingons, things like that :)

1 (small) bug(?) I ran into: When I recruit troops from conquered species, those troops do not take into account the various troop-boosting technologies. In other words after researching assault tactics & defense tactics my Romulan soldiers are far more effective than say Reman troops I recruit, which is a shame.

On another note, is it possible to mod the stats of ground units somewhere? Specifically planetary defense, armored and special forces units? I could only find an entry to the base attack value of basic troop units in the various race files. I'm also wondering if its possible to separately mod the upkeep and the defensive value of troops, or is the latter always identical to the attack value?

Keep up the good work!

(in reply to Bloodly)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: RELEASED!! Star Trek The Picard Era Mod for DW:Universe Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI