Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How are ship pictures determined?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How are ship pictures determined? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How are ship pictures determined? - 9/27/2014 5:54:08 PM   
Nikratio

Hello,

I've downloaded several shipsets from KALTHANIELL'S SHIPYARDS and installed them into a "MyTheme" folder. When I switch to this theme, the new pictures also show up in the "Design" window.

However, it seems that none of the designs actually uses the new images by default. Is there a way to tell the computer to use a specific shipset for all my ships (or all some ships of some other race in the game), or do I really have to manually edit every design and change the picture?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: How are ship pictures determined? - 9/27/2014 10:25:02 PM   
Aeson

What you're asking is more appropriate for the Design and Modding Subforum:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=795

Perhaps you should try asking there, or posting your question in the thread you linked, or you could try reading the modding guide, which you can find through a link in this thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3615682

Regardless, the images that the various empires use for ships can be found in C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds Universe\images\units\ships (default install path, Windows 7; your game may be somewhere else if you chose a different install path or are using another operating system). In that directory, you will find a number of folders labelled as "family#," with # being a number from 0 to 26 (without mods), as well as another folder labelled "other." Each of these folders contains a set of image files for the faction(s) that are of that family. You can either replace the images in this folder, or you can go to the race files, found in C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds Universe\races (default install path, Windows 7), and search for the line DesignsPictureFamilyIndex (for normal empires) or DesignsPictureFamilyIndexPirates (for pirate empires), and change those lines to point to the image family you want to make use of.

If you choose to modify or replace any game files, I would suggest that you first create a backup of the unmodified file, just in case you screw something up. I would also expect that this is something that can be done through a theme, in which case you wouldn't need to modify the base game files and instead would just need to be careful with your custom theme's files.

(in reply to Nikratio)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How are ship pictures determined? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI