Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Not run on Windows 8.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> Not run on Windows 8.1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not run on Windows 8.1 - 9/14/2014 10:45:45 PM   
RJMI

JTCS version 2.02 does not run on Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 is an update from Windows 8.

Here is the message I get when I try to run EF WF or RS.

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

I tried to use the compatibility mode with Windows 8.1 that uses an earlier version of windows (version Windows 7) and it still did not work. Earlier versions of JTCS worked with Windows 8.
Thank you for your help
RJMI

The only war that matters if you win is for the salvation of your immortal soul. Visit my website at www.JohnTheBaptist.us to learn of the only hope for salvation.
Post #: 1
RE: Not run on Windows 8.1 - 9/14/2014 11:21:33 PM   
okiemcguire

Sorry RJMI...

But I am running Windows 8.1 on a laptop and I am able to start and run EF of JTCS version 2.02 with no issues.

"Robur Ex Vigilantia," meaning "In Vigilance is Strength"

(in reply to RJMI)
Post #: 2
RE: Not run on Windows 8.1 - 9/14/2014 11:38:19 PM   
RJMI

The problem may be because I am using a Tablet, a Dell tablet that works like a PC. It can handle PC programs but not Android ones. But I was able to access it on my tablet with Window 8.0 with the first version of CS.

The only war that matters if you win is for the salvation of your immortal soul. Visit my website at www.JohnTheBaptist.us to learn of the only hope for salvation.

(in reply to okiemcguire)
Post #: 3
RE: Not run on Windows 8.1 - 9/15/2014 4:37:40 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: RJMI

The problem may be because I am using a Tablet, a Dell tablet that works like a PC. It can handle PC programs but not Android ones. But I was able to access it on my tablet with Window 8.0 with the first version of CS.

Does your new tablet have a full Windows in it, or does it run Windows RT as some of the tablets do? RT is not very good at running Windows programmes... I believe Microsoft has a roadmap to consolidate into only one version of Windows, but until that the various OS versions can be a bit of a pain.

(in reply to RJMI)
Post #: 4
RE: Not run on Windows 8.1 - 9/15/2014 4:38:39 AM   
Crossroads

Windows RT is not a supported platform for the game, btw.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 5
RE: Not run on Windows 8.1 - 9/15/2014 8:23:05 AM   
berto

quote:

JTCS version 2.02 does not run on Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 is an update from Windows 8.

Here is the message I get when I try to run EF WF or RS.

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

This is answered in the 2.0* Update Tech Support FAQ, in the section "The program has failed to launch" or "The application has failed to start" -- Why?

In other words, you need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to RJMI)
Post #: 6
RE: Not run on Windows 8.1 - 9/16/2014 7:58:49 PM   
RJMI

I loaded the program and it still does not work. I get a different error message. It is as follows:

“2014-09-16 13-42-08 East Front.exe. [Error ID 102] (misc.cpp, line 1776, logit0), frontend.log file open error.”

I have the same problem will Tiller’s Panzer Campaign Mius. However, it works with the Normandy 44.This is the error message I get when I try to load Mius.

“The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.”

As I said above, JTCS works on my Tablet up to version 1.03. It when the new tool bar and other features came in with 2.0 that it does not work.

I have widows 8 Pro with the 8.1 update. It is not Windows RT

Thanks for the help

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 7
RE: Not run on Windows 8.1 - 9/16/2014 10:14:15 PM   
berto

quote:

I loaded the program and it still does not work. I get a different error message. It is as follows:

“2014-09-16 13-42-08 East Front.exe. [Error ID 102] (misc.cpp, line 1776, logit0), frontend.log file open error.”

It might be restrictive file permissions imposed by Windows 8.1. Try installing the game in C:\Games\Matrix Games\... -- i.e., outside the standard Windows program directory tree.

quote:

I have the same problem will Tiller’s Panzer Campaign Mius. However, it works with the Normandy 44.This is the error message I get when I try to load Mius.

JT's Panzer Campaigns has nothing to do with us or our game here of course.

quote:

“The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.”

That is almost certainly a problem with the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable.

quote:

As I said above, JTCS works on my Tablet up to version 1.03. It when the new tool bar and other features came in with 2.0 that it does not work.

For earlier versions, pieces of the Visual C++ redistributable were included in the install, IIRC. That is no longer the case. Either you have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package because some other game installation has installed that, else you will have to do it yourself directly.

Beyond that, I don't know what else to suggest.

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to RJMI)
Post #: 8
RE: Not run on Windows 8.1 - 9/17/2014 6:46:56 AM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

quote:

It might be restrictive file permissions imposed by Windows 8.1. Try installing the game in C:\Games\Matrix Games\... -- i.e., outside the standard Windows program directory tree.

Another possibility: Another program -- a text editor? file viewer? even another running East Front.exe -- has a lock on frontend.log?

I've had weird experiences where the game wouldn't start. Looking at engine.log, it complained about this or that log file error ... Puzzlement ... A while later, oh yeah!, see that other, previous game instance minimized with its icon showing in the Status Bar? (Variant: See that open window with a text editor showing engine.log (or frontend.log or ...)) Doh!

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 9
RE: Not run on Windows 8.1 - 9/17/2014 10:23:05 PM   
RJMI

Thank for your help. Your below advice worked, along with getting Microsoft Visual C++ 2008.

"It might be restrictive file permissions imposed by Windows 8.1. Try installing the game in C:\Games\Matrix Games\... -- i.e., outside the standard Windows program directory tree."

RJMI

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 10
run on Windows 8.1 but.... - 9/27/2014 9:28:41 PM   
wespe

now i install CS on my laptop, win 8.01. it runs without problems, but i can`t save single player games..if i try, i get no message but the programm is ending immediately. the same if i try to "save as.."...i need help!

Generaloberst WESPE Kriegsschauplatz Feldzugschmiede
09.01.2009 Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern
UNTERFELDWEBEL DEUTSCHER LANDSER Kriegsschauplatz Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club
Diverse Fronteinsätze

(in reply to RJMI)
Post #: 11
RE: run on Windows 8.1 but.... - 9/27/2014 9:36:49 PM   
wespe

....an before i forget..if i push the button..end turn...the same, cs is ending, i can not play single player scenaruios, campaigns are possible, but i don`t get any reinforcements

Diverse Fronteinsätze

(in reply to wespe)
Post #: 12
RE: run on Windows 8.1 but.... - 9/27/2014 10:58:32 PM   
berto

(in reply to wespe)
Post #: 13
RE: run on Windows 8.1 but.... - 9/28/2014 8:48:02 PM   
wespe

there i install CS.....
C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series
is this ok?

Diverse Fronteinsätze

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 14
RE: run on Windows 8.1 but.... - 9/29/2014 4:42:20 AM   
Crossroads

Wespe: yes that should do it.

(in reply to wespe)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> Not run on Windows 8.1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI