Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

German Howitzers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> German Howitzers? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
German Howitzers? - 3/26/2001 6:09:00 AM   
ursus

I am not complaining or questioning the game, but was wondering why the germans do not have 75mm, 105mm, 150mm howitzers in the game? Historaclly did they not have them or what? I noticed the Czechs have them and they were occcupied by the germans, is this where the germans get thier How. in the game?

Post #: 1
- 3/26/2001 6:51:00 AM   
Tommy

I just finished a solitaire scenario Nov '44; the Germans had towed 75mm and 150 mm howitzers. But remember, the on map stuff can't be used for indirect fire. Tommy

(in reply to ursus)
Post #: 2
- 3/26/2001 7:07:00 AM   
Zorfwaddle

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy: I just finished a solitaire scenario Nov '44; the Germans had towed 75mm and 150 mm howitzers. But remember, the on map stuff can't be used for indirect fire. Tommy
Thats funny, because I can do it, and Ive had a number of scenarios where the OPFOR had onboard artillery and mortars which where bombarding my positions indirectly. I dont get the scenario Im in now tho. US Army long campaign at Kasserine (the third scenario). The Germans are advancing against my delay and I have yet to come under any indirect fire at all. Its very odd. The previous scenario (#2) vs Italy at F****** (the name escapes me) had a f***ton of offboard and onboard artillery they were employing. <> I dont get it...

"AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m****rf****r in the room. Accept no substitutes." Ordell Robbie - "Jackie Brown"

(in reply to ursus)
Post #: 3
- 3/26/2001 8:08:00 AM   
CaptainBrian

Onboard guns whose class is Infantry Gun are not capable of indirect fire, but guns whose class is howitzer are capable of conducting indirect fire.

CaptainBrian

(in reply to ursus)
Post #: 4
- 3/26/2001 8:57:00 AM   
Flashfyre

There is an OOB error for the Germans. All howitzer-class onboard units have availability dates of December, 1949. In order to use them, you have to change the date in the Editor and then buy them. Don't forget to change the date back when you're done. :D This should be fixed in v. 5.0

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to ursus)
Post #: 5
- 3/26/2001 11:15:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

In this one area I persoanally recomend to some of the new folks i play they consider buying light hows and the like ( I play americans ..most all my oponnets play german) from the country that the battle is taking place in ..I warn them that ( for example in the 43 league) that the morale /experience ect is lower ..but that makes for cheap arty .. If folks buy german FO's the response times are about right .. This is just me ..If you are playing as Germans against a Human opponent I recomend you check with your oponent during pregame negotaitions ..but by all that right and fair i personaly hold the opinion it should be good to go ...Historically the Germans "discovered" the virtues of 120mm mortars from the Russians and made a point of capturing them ..then later copied them when they made them themselves .. I am sure most the czech stuff was used by the germans. Onboard or offboard most arty can fire indirect ..the exception being as CaptBrian pointed out

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to ursus)
Post #: 6
- 3/26/2001 3:11:00 PM   
Christian Blex

quote:

originally written by Flashfyre: There is an OOB error for the Germans. All howitzer-class onboard units have availability dates of December, 1949.
Not only for germany. Nearly all medium and heavy onboard howitzers have the 1949 starting date. Had the same discussed, some days before. Still can't see the reason for the 1949 starting date, as you can buy heavy self-propelled on board artillery. Why should the US player be able to buy 105mm howitzers and the Italian one not ? Hope this is changed in v5.0

"Kotzen und kleckern!!!"

(in reply to ursus)
Post #: 7
- 3/26/2001 9:23:00 PM   
Tommy

quote:

Originally posted by CaptainBrian: Onboard guns whose class is Infantry Gun are not capable of indirect fire, but guns whose class is howitzer are capable of conducting indirect fire.
CB - you got it! In the "The Last Stand of the 78th" I checked the 2 guns; both were the Infantry Gun variants. SIG 33 150 mm not the 150 mm FH and the 75 mm LelG18 not the 75mm FH. Tommy

(in reply to ursus)
Post #: 8
- 3/26/2001 10:42:00 PM   
Chris Evitts

Large artillery guns were generally not used as short range direct support weapons under the control of individual Battalion commanders. They were kept together and used as long range fire support for the Division. Hence, there use as on map weapons is unrealistic in most battles. However, exceptions occurred, so the 1949 availability is used to keep them out of most random battles, but allow their use in scenarios if appropriate. Self-propelled artillery guns were commonly used in both long range and in direct fire support roles, so they remain available for purchase as on-map units.

(in reply to ursus)
Post #: 9
- 3/26/2001 11:14:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

What Chris said ;)...that is the basic rationale

(in reply to ursus)
Post #: 10
- 3/27/2001 1:27:00 AM   
K_Tiger

Chris: please dont say "generally" if you mean the german army.. ;)

(in reply to ursus)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> German Howitzers? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI