Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problem with Bingo Fuel

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Problem with Bingo Fuel Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem with Bingo Fuel - 9/30/2014 9:10:31 PM   
McHendrik

I may be misunderstanding Bingo fuel, so I am not calling this a 'bug' for now.

If "Bingo" means the plane has fuel to get to base, and a reserve, then I think there's a bug. I've had planes crash when there is 311kg of "reserve" fuel on board. I thought that if a plane was totally out of fuel that was JOKER, not BINGO. Can anyone explain?

I am also finding it frustrating when I go to "rebase" a plane, and it doesn't tell me that it can't land at that base until it's at BINGO. If I want a plane to take off, do a mission, and land at a different base, then PLEASE tell me when I SET that base that it can't land there, not when it's out of fuel!
Post #: 1
RE: Problem with Bingo Fuel - 9/30/2014 10:32:47 PM   
Runibl

As I understand it:

Joker Fuel is a preplanned fuel state (Not always used), that is reached before bingo fuel state.
Can mean many things, incl:
"no more afterburner"
"no more gunnery event"
"prepare to stop mission advisory"
"start rejoining flight"
"Fuel state above Bingo at which separation/bugout/event termination should begin."
"minimum fuel state at which to return to base, while still be able to engage minimum defensive situation"

Not used in all missions. Flight leader/planner prerogative .

Bingo fuel is the minimum fuel required to return to your base or destination by the most
direct means plus required fuel reserves.
This is always the critical "must return to base or crash state".

Fuel state/bingo fuel, is continuously being tweaked by the devs. And lately it has become way better than it was in earlier builds.
Any report on this is probably going to be helpful for future tweaking.
Information such as: Scenario, Aircraft type, Aircraft mission, loadout, Throttle & Altitude setting might perhaps be helpful.
A dev. can perhaps provide more detail on this

Rúni.

(in reply to McHendrik)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem with Bingo Fuel - 10/1/2014 2:26:49 AM   
McHendrik

Ahh... I looked it up and you are quite right about BINGO/JOKER.

I spent some time with the numbers for a few planes and figured out my mistake. I was misreading the fuel status. The "reserve" amount (and total/etc.) are being correctly calculated, so far as I can tell. I just didn't see it correctly until now.

The unit fuel box on the right side when a plane is selected says (EG: Shackleton MR.2):

12519kg total remaining, 1549kg reserve
9147kg to bingo, 21.7kg/minute
9 hrs 36 min, 1634 nm total
7 hrs 1 min, 1194 nm to bingo
224 nm to base

Here is why I misunderstood: "1634 nm total" and "12519kg total" seemed to me to be BEFORE the reserve. It wasn't clear at first glance that the reserve was part of the total. (I know... I'm dumb... but that's what happened. /grin) So I interpreted this to mean that when my plane was on landing approach with 1kg total, there was still the reserve left. Obviously this is wrong, my bad.

I would suggest that the wording could be slightly changed to something like:

12519kg fuel remaining, 1549kg was reserved (10%)
or
based on 224 nm to base, plus xxx nm reserve

This would make it clear that the reserve was based on the original total fuel at takeoff, not some amount that's actually separate in the tanks as reserve. Maybe I'm the only doofus that got confused but...

Also: I haven't figured out a way to "push it" past BINGO either. If you know the plane is going to crash, or you know you have to sacrifice it, it would be nice to be able to override BINGO and keep shooting or reconnoiter-ing. (Maybe there is a way to override this but I haven't found it.) In my case, when I screw up, instead of making a futile flight back, only to crash 10nm short of base, I'd like a way to prevent the pilot from RTB for BINGO altogether.

(in reply to Runibl)
Post #: 3
RE: Problem with Bingo Fuel - 10/1/2014 5:29:12 AM   
Casinn

You can override it, unassign (U key) it from mission and manually order it to do what you want. It will tell you in the log that you are nuts or something to that effect. heh

If there are closer bases you can adjust bingo by changing the base of the airplane as well.

(in reply to McHendrik)
Post #: 4
RE: Problem with Bingo Fuel - 10/1/2014 2:24:02 PM   
McHendrik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Casinn

You can override it, unassign (U key) it from mission and manually order it to do what you want. It will tell you in the log that you are nuts or something to that effect. heh

Ahhh... thank you. Not sure why I couldn't figure that out myself.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Casinn

If there are closer bases you can adjust bingo by changing the base of the airplane as well.

This only works if the aircraft can actually use the airfield. I have learned the hard way that if you set the new base when the aircraft takes off, it won't tell you the base is unsuitable until it hits BINGO for that base, at which point it is too late.

Of course, now that I know how to cancel an RTB I could do that first as a check.

(in reply to Casinn)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Problem with Bingo Fuel Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI