Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What is the real difference between Steel Panthers here and WinSteel Panthers at Shrapnel?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What is the real difference between Steel Panthers here and WinSteel Panthers at Shrapnel? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is the real difference between Steel Panthers here... - 9/29/2014 11:01:32 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Only thing I can tell so far is graphics are a bit crisper with the WinSpW@W from Shrapnel.
Post #: 1
RE: What is the real difference between Steel Panthers ... - 9/30/2014 1:05:12 AM   
MrsWargamer

Well there is more to it than this, but, Matrix Games used the code from Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat to build their version, and SP Camo used the code from Steel Panthers 2 MBT.

The game differs with a variety of what I suppose could be called play environments. SP Camo's version has dynamics that are handled slightly differently.

It's a bit like dark chocolate and milk chocolate. There IS a difference, but to an non Steel Panthers fan, the response will be, 'what difference?'

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 2
RE: What is the real difference between Steel Panthers ... - 9/30/2014 2:04:49 AM   
aaatoysandmore

So you are saying I'm a non Steel Panthers fan? swords at 5 oclock am. You get the short sword. My sword of choice will be the LONG sword.

edit: Don't try to think about that sentence too much. It means exactly what I meant it to mean.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 9/30/2014 3:05:53 AM >

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 3
RE: What is the real difference between Steel Panthers ... - 9/30/2014 12:11:25 PM   
MrsWargamer

I hope you don't mind me being Scottish and I bring along my claymore :) We don't care for pansy swords where I come from :)

Back to Steel Panthers, I have often wondered why they used the code from Steel Panthers 3 to build their version of the program. I recall vaguely reading some comment about it back around 2000-2002.

I've also wondered why no one has ever thought to fiddle with/improve the actual Steel Panthers 3 game and modernize it too.

Post #: 4
RE: What is the real difference between Steel Panthers ... - 9/30/2014 1:09:34 PM   
Zovs

Hands down Shrapnels Steel Panthers WW2 is the better game, not only is still maintained, updated and works (supported) on Windows 7, and Windows 8, it works and is supported under modern monitors (SPWAW is not, you have to "hack" it to make it even work and you are stuck with the 648x480 graphics).

Further SP WW2 database is updated once a year, has more space then SPWAW (slots for weapons and formations) and currently is surpassing SPWAW in scenarios.

So there you have it.

You can go with an unsupported hack last written in 2001 or something updated, supported and functioning on todays O/S and H/W with updated code, database and AI and scenarios.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 5
RE: What is the real difference between Steel Panthers ... - 9/30/2014 6:54:32 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Ohhhhh MrsWargamer he's got you there eh? Hit em over de head with your claymore.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 6
RE: What is the real difference between Steel Panthers ... - 9/30/2014 9:18:45 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Ohhhhh MrsWargamer he's got you there eh? Hit em over de head with your claymore.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 7
RE: What is the real difference between Steel Panthers ... - 9/30/2014 9:27:06 PM   
MrsWargamer

Given a choice, I prefer to think of Steel Panthers as Mega Campaigns, and some other versions.

Whether it be the Matrix Games variant, or the SP Camo variant, I tend to think the Mega Campaigns delivered a more fun experience.

but until the arty screen is fixed, I'm calling SPWaW a dead program. There comes a time when you get bored trying to find excuses for a program.

I don't know that I would call the SP Camo versions better, but, they ARE currently the only ones I have installed.

The other day though, I found myself playing some Steel Panthers 3, and I cancelled out the game. After playing something like Battle Academy, you get very spoiled about playing something that isn't too many units and too much map scrolling.

Maybe I've just gotten too old to sit and play wargames that demand an inordinate amount of time to execute a turn to conclusion.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 8
RE: What is the real difference between Steel Panthers ... - 9/30/2014 9:30:41 PM   
geozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: dlazov66

Hands down Shrapnels Steel Panthers WW2 is the better game, not only is still maintained, updated and works (supported) on Windows 7, and Windows 8, it works and is supported under modern monitors (SPWAW is not, you have to "hack" it to make it even work and you are stuck with the 648x480 graphics).

Further SP WW2 database is updated once a year, has more space then SPWAW (slots for weapons and formations) and currently is surpassing SPWAW in scenarios.

So there you have it.

You can go with an unsupported hack last written in 2001 or something updated, supported and functioning on todays O/S and H/W with updated code, database and AI and scenarios.

Thank you for this update... may need to go check that out later tonight.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 9
RE: What is the real difference between Steel Panthers ... - 10/1/2014 3:37:25 AM   
rich12545

Really, there's no comparison. The camo games are far better. It's like comparing a 1935 Ford with a 2014 Ferrari especially if you purchase the cd versions (you can download them). They are updated every year but they're taking a break in 2015. I have windows 8. They work great at 1920x1080. There are many options for setting up your game. Between the two, you can play from 1930-2020 with virtually every country represented. The list of advantages goes on and on.

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What is the real difference between Steel Panthers here and WinSteel Panthers at Shrapnel? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI