Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Iron curtain for Space Communists?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Iron curtain for Space Communists? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Iron curtain for Space Communists? - 10/3/2014 1:51:50 PM   
Testmann

Hi Everybody!

So I'm playing a game with a government that has nationalized it's private sector (aka space comunism).
With this you get 100% tax at every colony, with a 'flat rate' penalty for happyness.

The problem is that people are leaving my country by the billions, and theres nothing I can do about it.
Making them happy doesn't work, 'cause happyness isn't a factor in migration, just tax-rate.

Increasing medical standards isn't enough, because even with the Advanced Medicomplex wonder, my population went from 10 billion to 8 billion in my capital.

Ok, sounds reasonable, you might say, it's communism after all, what did you expect.

Ok you're right, but then give me the possibility to build the Iron Curtain in Space!

Make it possible to slow down emigration from my colonies.
Either through your planet's race policies, or through a planetary building.
There needs to be a way to affect migration.

Because this whole scenario is hillarious, as long as I get a fighting chance to keep some of my population..

Beste Grüße!

< Message edited by Testmann -- 10/3/2014 3:13:19 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Iron curtain for Space Communists? - 10/3/2014 3:06:15 PM   
johanwanderer

Stop building passenger ships! :)

(And destroy any "hostile" passenger ships coming into your space.)

(in reply to Testmann)
Post #: 2
RE: Iron curtain for Space Communists? - 10/3/2014 5:01:12 PM   
Testmann

I'm not an expert on ship designs, do you mean Deleting the Passenger ship design could solve my problem?

The standard design for my spaceport shows hab-modules aswell.
Would it affect passenger transfer if I deleted these hab-modules?

And the next question is, how am I going to auto-destroy any passenger ships comming into my space? Do I really have to declare war on all of my neighbours? :D

(in reply to johanwanderer)
Post #: 3
RE: Iron curtain for Space Communists? - 10/3/2014 5:57:08 PM   
fruitgnome

It could be possible by slavery.
Delete the design for passenger ship or make it so big it can't build I mean 2500 is the higest value of size so at least 2501.
And I mean that the population can only leave by a passanger component on space ports, so you could redesign them without this component.

(in reply to johanwanderer)
Post #: 4
RE: Iron curtain for Space Communists? - 10/3/2014 6:32:47 PM   
Aeson

quote:

I'm not an expert on ship designs, do you mean Deleting the Passenger ship design could solve my problem?

Marking the passenger ship design as obsolete or deleting the design can help with your issue, though I don't think that the private sector will retire any preexisting passenger ships when you do this. It will prevent the private sector from building new passenger ships, so over time you'll start to see less movement as more and more of your passenger ships die to pirates.

Note that you may have issues gaining any resort income if you lack a valid passenger ship design, and also that you probably won't have much internal migration, which is very helpful for growing new colonies if you have some well-populated colonies for people to emigrate from.

quote:

And I mean that the population can only leave by a passanger component on space ports, so you could redesign them without this component.

I'm fairly certain that the passenger ships require a passenger compartment before they count as a valid design, and so this is likely not a possible solution.

quote:

The standard design for my spaceport shows hab-modules aswell.
Would it affect passenger transfer if I deleted these hab-modules?

1. Your space stations don't move. Why would you care if your people are on the stations?
2. Habitat modules are not passenger modules, and do not carry emigrants or tourists. Removing them will not affect the ability of any design to carry passengers.
3. Every design requires at least some habitat modules in order to be considered a valid design. Remove all of them, or enough of them that an error comes up in the design screen, and you won't be able to save or build the design.

quote:

And the next question is, how am I going to auto-destroy any passenger ships comming into my space? Do I really have to declare war on all of my neighbours? :D

If you want to automatically destroy all inbound passenger vessels, then yes, you will need to declare war on all of your neighbors. Non-smuggler noncombatants which are not associated with an empire with which you are at war will generally not be targeted by your defenses and military forces; the only circumstances under which such attacks will occur are when pirate ships have joined your empire while engaging in an attack on something, or when you have some of the attack and fleet automation set and your diplomatic stance towards another empire is very poor (although in this case, your military will still not typically attack inbound noncombatants from that empire; rather, you'll tend to see blockades of colonies and mines or attacks on various space stations belonging to the empire(s) which your empire doesn't like).

quote:

Delete the design for passenger ship or make it so big it can't build I mean 2500 is the higest value of size so at least 2501.

Technically, the largest size limit is 4500 for standard ships. However, this requires a technology that you are rather unlikely to acquire in a normal game, as it's the technology for the Super Laser (the weapon that blows up planets).

quote:

Make it possible to slow down emigration from my colonies.
Either through your planet's race policies, or through a planetary building.
There needs to be a way to affect migration.

You can try going into the Empire Policies menu and setting the Tourism Priority to something high, to try to keep your passenger ships busy shuttling people out to your resort bases rather than to your neighbors' colonies.

< Message edited by Aeson -- 10/3/2014 7:33:57 PM >

(in reply to fruitgnome)
Post #: 5
RE: Iron curtain for Space Communists? - 10/3/2014 11:59:24 PM   
Shark7

Or just admit that communism doesn't work.

I realize that while the idea of a Utopia sounds awesome in theory, they rarely work when you add in the living beings that populate them. This holds so very true in DW too. I've found you make a ton more tax money just letting the economy be (capitalism). And instead of leaving in droves, you have alien species arriving in droves...then using them...effeciently.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 6
RE: Iron curtain for Space Communists? - 10/4/2014 9:13:17 AM   
fruitgnome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aeson

quote:

I'm fairly certain that the passenger ships require a passenger compartment before they count as a valid design, and so this is likely not a possible solution.

I wrote passanger compartment components on space ports not on ships.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 7
RE: Iron curtain for Space Communists? - 10/4/2014 4:28:40 PM   
Aeson

quote:

I wrote passanger compartment components on space ports not on ships.

My apologies. I overlooked that you said it was on space ports. However, as far as I can tell, passenger compartments on space ports have no effect on migration. None of my space ports have ever included passenger components, and as far as I can tell the computer doesn't include or even want passenger compartments on its space port designs, as it's not suggested in the design screen and it's not included in the design templates that I looked at for the unmodded game. The lack of these components clearly does not shut down migration, as in my games I've very clearly had internal migration despite not having any passenger compartments on any of my spaceport designs, and I also can find passenger ships carrying immigrants from spaceports over foreign colonies that, with a bit of cheating, I can determine lack passenger compartments.

I can certainly support removing passenger compartments from your spaceports, as they appear to be both worthless and nonessential. I don't see why you would have added them in the first place, however, and I do not believe that they have any impact on emigration.

(in reply to fruitgnome)
Post #: 8
RE: Iron curtain for Space Communists? - 10/4/2014 4:38:21 PM   
fruitgnome

Good to know.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Iron curtain for Space Communists? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI