Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc - 10/5/2014 12:26:29 PM   
PittBull

I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions to date. Here are a couple more that I need a little more clarification on after searching the forum.
I have been playing on a small random, no water, map to learn the system. I usually have 3 HQs plus the Supreme. I have the Sup HQ set to produce the supply. The cities are equally allocated to each sub HQ to produce/send units to their HQs.

1. To avoid the stacking penalty is the hex limited to 100? Or is each SFT limited to 100? i.e. can more than one 100 point SFT be in a hex at the same time?
2. Is there a more "optimum" organization for the HQs so as to provide the combat bonus, etc.
3. Is it advisable to put different unit types into one SFT?
4. Still not clear on how to avoid the supply distance "penalty".

You can probably conclude that victory has been a little elusive so far.
Thanks again.

In Him
PittBull
Post #: 1
RE: HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc - 10/5/2014 2:10:52 PM   
Strategiusz

I think you use SFT in a bad meaning. SFT is from sub formation type, and it means: rifle or mortar or medium tank II etc.

Ad.1. It is hex limit.

Ad.2. The optimum is HQ with STF (it is staff points!) 100%. More than 100% gives nothing, less than 100% gives less bonus. And optimum distance between fighting units and their HQ is 3 hexes or less (less than 3 hexes gives nothing, but more than 3 hexes gives less bonus).

Ad.3. You mean different SFTs in one unit (counter). IMO the best strategy is to specialize units for one job, for example: artillery unit, attack unit, mechanized attack unit (they shouldn't be slowed by infantry), defence unit, antitank defence unit, engineers unit, flak units. I often mix artillery with flaks or defence with antitank defence.

Ad.4. The simplest answer is "roads".

< Message edited by Madlok -- 10/5/2014 3:15:42 PM >

(in reply to PittBull)
Post #: 2
RE: HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc - 10/5/2014 4:37:16 PM   
baloo7777

Thanks Madlock! I have been playing against the AI for about a year now, so still a relative newbie, and your reply to these questions helps reinforce my own discoveries and understandings from reading these forums. I also think I am a slower learner these days, as I am firmly entreenched in middle age.

JRR

(in reply to Strategiusz)
Post #: 3
RE: HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc - 10/5/2014 5:17:00 PM   
Tac2i

A limited number of infantry can ride tanks without slowing them down and I always include a few. Tanks all alone can be damaged by infantry attacks.

Re supply:use the supply layer button to check your supply situation.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 4
RE: HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc - 10/5/2014 5:25:40 PM   
PittBull

Thanks all.
Re:SFT; I was using the wrong terminology. I was referring to the "counter" in calling it SFT. Thanks for the correction.

In Him
PittBull

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 5
RE: HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc - 10/5/2014 5:28:35 PM   
PittBull

I am definately a slow learner. One of my issues is not being able to quickly and easily find answers I'm looking for. So I take the lazy route and ask all of you vets. Thank you and the "gods of gaming" that you are willing to help and share.

In Him
PittBull

(in reply to PittBull)
Post #: 6
RE: HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc - 10/5/2014 6:09:46 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: PittBull

I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions to date. Here are a couple more that I need a little more clarification on after searching the forum.
I have been playing on a small random, no water, map to learn the system. I usually have 3 HQs plus the Supreme. I have the Sup HQ set to produce the supply. The cities are equally allocated to each sub HQ to produce/send units to their HQs.

1. To avoid the stacking penalty is the hex limited to 100? Or is each SFT limited to 100? i.e. can more than one 100 point SFT be in a hex at the same time?
2. Is there a more "optimum" organization for the HQs so as to provide the combat bonus, etc.
3. Is it advisable to put different unit types into one SFT?
4. Still not clear on how to avoid the supply distance "penalty".

You can probably conclude that victory has been a little elusive so far.
Thanks again.

Well you've been given some good answers already just let me add my 2 cts.

100 is indeed the stack limit, but you can overstack that without problem...unless you get attacked though An overstacked hex gets penalties, so be careful not to overstack too much. 120-150 is max I'd say. Beyond that you'll see an increased kill ratio.
When attacking yourself 100 is the max strength in one or two hexes without penalty, and add 50 more points per added hex. So that's why I make my units about 50 strong each, give or take a few points. Less is no problem but more is. If for instance you attack with 200 points where 100 is allowed you'll see the same increased loss ratio.

HQ efficiency depends indeed on "staff coverage" and try to keep that at 100%. Note that when you add new Staff to that unit their experience will lower the experience of the Staff already there. Same with other units, new troops lower the experience.

Unit type customization, much has been said and written about it. One of the fun aspects of ATG, make your own stuff. After many years of playing I still vary from time to time, but in broad lines it's as Madlok and Webizen say, Inf, Armour, and Artillery.

Artillery is easy, go for heavy artillery as soon as possible. Every HQ needs 1-2 or three artillery units each consisting of about 5-10 tubes. You definitely want to bomb the $@#$@ out of your opponent before you attack him, the lower his readiness the better.

Armour is easy too, each HQ also needs 2-5 armoured punching units. Each consisting of 1-5 tanks (preferrably 5) so two units can attack with the max allowed of 100 points. Note that armour is "blind" they don't see much of anything and to prevent "surprise ambushes" you need Recon. (armoured cars, cavalry, Infantry). Always give them Inf protection, be it tankriders (5 inf per tank) or in a separate unit.

Inf units, now that's where I have the most fun and satisfaction. Create the best fighting composition. As it stand now I'm creating an Inf unit consisting of; 20-30 rifles/submachines
2 AT guns
2 Inf guns
5 mortars
5 Machine guns (note they die easily when on the attack :-( )
5 bazooka's
and last but certainly not least; 2 Flak

The Flak is my latest experiment, they prove to be deadly against armour *and* planes at the same time, and get much faster experience compared to when you put them in specialized Flak units (which I also have, nothing sucks more than seeing your troops wither away under continuous enemy air assaults).

Have fun go kick butt.

(in reply to PittBull)
Post #: 7
RE: HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc - 10/5/2014 9:34:07 PM   
PittBull

Thanks to you all, I lasted 12 full turns this time before I was encircled and forced to surrender. I can see where sub HQs could help in combat readiness and power, where the front gets stretched out. So, another day, another game.

In Him
PittBull

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 8
RE: HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc - 10/6/2014 3:48:57 AM   
Whydmer

As has also been mentioned elsewhere, but I thought I would add here, when facing the AI start the game by building defensive. Machine guns and Bazookas with your infantry, then as soon as you can afford it AT guns and infantry guns. Build horses to mobilize your units instead of trucks. Add in some artillery maybe a defensive airforce and then a strong mobile/armor unit in reserve. Don't forget Engineers to upgrade your resources and then industry.

Build your lines in good defensive positions and let the AI waste the cream of its youth against your strong defense. Then move over to an attack.

(in reply to PittBull)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> HQs, Stacks & penalties, etc Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI