Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Barbarosa '41 modded

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Barbarosa '41 modded Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 6:11:30 AM   
larryfulkerson

Steve Sill and I are in the middle of a project to develop a Barbarosa '41-level style mod of FITE to produce a scenario that plays the
entire war and includes all the units from all those years '41-'45. Right now I'm calling the scenario Drie Worden Deutchen or three
German words. The scenario didn't seem to have all that much to do with FITE and only a cursory comparason applies. The object is
to create a simple, lite, version of FITE using Barbarosa '41. Steve has an OOB from his D-21 scenario that we can use and even a
good map to use. This AAR will use none of that. Just a simple game for a few turns to pass the time. I've been through the first 10
turns enough times to declare this a non-test.

Here's the front lines before anybody has moved.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/6/2014 7:13:00 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 6:19:39 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a close-up of the northern sector. I have two immediate objectives: Riga and Daugavpils. I need Riga because it's in path of
supply to the northern parts of the minor countries and I need Daugavpils because it's in the path to Leningrad. I haven't decided to
definately go for Leningrad or not since the conditions on the ground aren't always conducive. I'll decide when I get there, or at least
when I get closer to the goal. One thing I haven't tried yet is the all-out assault of Moscow by everybody. Just isolate Leningrad and
go for Moscow. I'll need to decide by the time I get to Pskov.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 6:40:24 AM   
larryfulkerson

During round one I moved some units and got some RBC's and now the situation is different. The smallest unit in the middle wouldn't
RBC and I'm having to work around him. I expect him to be gone by round two. Now to move some more units.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 6:47:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm moved units up to and including the 41st Panzer Division and some RBC's later they have moved out for Daugavpils. The advance
seems to be going hit and miss as usual. It's too early yet to say that it's stymied or thwarted and not going well.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 6:55:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

Ok..........I'm running into the first major obsticale on the way to Riga The Soviets have a large stack blocking the road to Riga and it's
going to take more troops than I have handy for the take-down of that roadblock. More movement is in order.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 7:09:11 AM   
larryfulkerson

And with some RBC's and one destroyed Soviet unit the 39th Panzer Group moves east toward Daugavpils. The attack is on it's way.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 7:26:33 AM   
larryfulkerson

As you can see I'm using one-dot attacks because the Axis shock is 120 and the Soviet shock is 50 and min-losses attacks seem to do
an adequate job of dislodging the soviets so far. I'll have to adjust as the Soviets regain their battlefield awareness and command and
control and start to act like real soldiers at war. Like there is any such a thing. Courage comes in all kinds of packages and the carrier
of a courage container can use it or not and there's like a thousand different variables that go into why a soldier acts as he/she does
and any of several things can make the difference between good and bad on the courage spectrum. Each individual is unique almost.
You have to see it to know what I mean.

EDIT: Not that I would know.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/6/2014 8:29:13 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 7:57:23 AM   
larryfulkerson

The immediate goal further south is Minsk since it's capture will lower the Soviet capabilities, supply mostly, is my understanding. So
it's early capture is important. I usually have control of it in T3 and so far so good.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 10:41:27 AM   
Ruppich

Drei deutsche Wörter :)

Post #: 9
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 1:31:19 PM   
larryfulkerson

Thanks Ruppich dude. I don't speak German and have no idea how to spell in German and
made a rough guess as to what three German words is in German. Cool avatar.

(in reply to Ruppich)
Post #: 10
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 1:55:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

The 6th Soviet Inf Div wouldn't RBC very far so my Panzer divisions didn't go very far but at least they got a start. I'm trying to get those
Soviet units to trap themselves between two of my columns because they can't move very fast that way and I can surround them
easier.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 2:05:27 PM   
larryfulkerson

And further south here's the situation. There's so many of me and so few of the Soviets that I'm planning on just rushing everybody
forward and just steamrolling the Soviets. I want to stay on or near the roads for speed of movement and the higher levels of supply.
Kiev is the immediate goal and I'm thinking I can try to separate the left group from the right group and destroy them separately.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 2:21:18 PM   
larryfulkerson

I broke through a weak spot and have several units streaming through the hole. Also, I destroyed a German unit on the north edge so
as to facilitate the movement of my Panzers to the southeast. There were several RBC's to produce this image.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 2:32:37 PM   
larryfulkerson

I pulled the trigger to start the attacks and the next thing I know the turn ended abruptly. I had some turn burn somewhere I guess.
The shock levels are starting to adjust to the true situation and I gotta keep in mind the higher Soviet shock levels for this turn's
attacks. Not that much will change.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 8:27:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the T2 scene in the north. Daugavpils was almost unoccupied and easy to take down but Riga has a stack of Soviet stuff on it
and it's going to take more than a probe to roll it over. I've RBC'd my way to surrounding targets and am ready to launch the attack.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 8:37:58 PM   
larryfulkerson

And here's the T2 scene a little further south. I had to elbow my way into Minsk but I made it. It looks like we may be able to get a
surround on a substantial amount of Soviet equipment which is a good thing because the Soviet side has lots of troops to spare.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 9:26:44 PM   
larryfulkerson

And further down south I've got my full-court press going on and the Soviets are falling back and running away and there are a few
simple roadblocks and the advance is advancing.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/6/2014 10:03:36 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ok........I pulled the trigger and the T2 R1 attacks executed and now there's no roadblock on the way to Riga. The way is open and I
have a Panzer scheduled to assault Riga to drive out all the Soviet stuff. I've got my fingers crossed. Actually, I guess there's no real
hurry to take down Riga......but he's there and the Soviets are there and everything is ready for it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/8/2014 4:32:55 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is how the south looks in T3. The full-court press seems to be doing the trick so far. I'm making holes and sending the Panzers
though the holes and using the smaller units as flank guards and recon. As soon as a very large hole appears I'll try to defeat the
two halves separately. Soviet forces seem a tad bit outnumbered here. Maybe they are pulling back and forming a front line somewhere
and that explains the sparcity of Soviet units.........I donno. Will find out the answer to that shortly.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/8/2014 4:57:14 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is the north in T3. It appears that the way up to the pinch point may be wide open. Probably not, and I don't count on it but all the
same there seems to be very little Soviet stuff in my way. I'm cleaning out the peninsula and Riga is in Axis hands and Army Group North
is installed there. I'm sending the MP's to forward locations to use them as recon and placeholders. The Axis aircraft is moved as far
forward as possible and about 60% of it is assigned to interception to prevent the Soviets moving troops away from being captured and
destroyed and new troops moving forward to my advancing lines. To try to stall the Soviet movements overall everywhere. Soviet planes
are falling out of the air as the Luftwaffe fighters find their stride. So far so good.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/8/2014 6:55:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the north in T4 and the special forces have uncovered some Soviet arty and that should be no problem and the Pskov area is
contained and there's a rudimentary front line forming there. Follow-on forces are slow in arriving near Pskov so the Panzers will have
to shoulder the burden for some time yet. The supply rail is advancing but not nearly as fast as needed. The supply level has dropped
to about 15 at the front and will drop even lower next turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/8/2014 10:34:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what the south looks like in T4. I'm still using the full-front push. I'm expecting some holes to open up through which I can push
the Panzers to get into the rear areas. The Soviets are still falling back, still trying small roadblocks to stymie the advance. And the
Axis units are still in steamroller mode.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/8/2014 10:55:26 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the supply situation in the north in T5. As you can see the supply level is dropping fast and at the immediate front the supply is
too low for sustained combat. The advance may have to stall in those low supply areas and wait for the railhead to creep closer.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/8/2014 11:28:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the situation in the Minsk area in T5: You can see the wild-west confusion and the fluid front lines in this area. The Soviets are
still trying to use roadblocks and are being surrounded and destroyed. They are way outnumbered and Axis progress is rapid.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/9/2014 1:21:43 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've got good news and bad news Dear Reader: the bad news is that it's looking like this AAR will end right here.
the Good news is that John Fogger and I have been corresponding via email about a FITE game and it
looks like we're going to do an AAR about that game so you'll have something to read about after all.

Post #: 25
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/9/2014 8:34:43 PM   
sPzAbt653

Thanks for the brief peek Mr. Fulkerson !

Currently working on 'condensing' the oob's for both sides, the main issues are having units that are scaled to each other (no ants) and getting straight all the comings and goings of units (especially on the Soviet side). Fortunately, most of this has been previously done for other scenarios that I have been involved in so its not totally unfamiliar. Hopefully we can squeeze it into 3.4 so that it isn't stuck in 3.5 limbo. The map and the oob fit into 3.4, so we'll just have to be concerned with keeping the events simple.

Post #: 26
RE: Barbarosa '41 modded - 10/9/2014 9:32:19 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Thanks for the brief peek Mr. Fulkerson !

Currently working on 'condensing' the oob's for both sides, the main issues are having units that are scaled to each other (no ants) and getting straight all the comings and goings of units (especially on the Soviet side). Fortunately, most of this has been previously done for other scenarios that I have been involved in so its not totally unfamiliar. Hopefully we can squeeze it into 3.4 so that it isn't stuck in 3.5 limbo. The map and the oob fit into 3.4, so we'll just have to be concerned with keeping the events simple.

And thank YOU for all your hard work. I'm going to have to talk John Fogger into helping us playtest 3GW (Three German Words).
He's as addicted to the Russian War as I am and it probably wouldn't take much to do that. Or somebody else, anybody else who
wants to help. I'd ask you Steve, but I'm aware of your operational tempo already. You've probably got more than enough on your plate.
Anyway, it's a fun way to fight that war and I have great hopes for it.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Barbarosa '41 modded Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI