Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Boys trip to UK

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Boys trip to UK Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Boys trip to UK - 10/3/2014 11:59:28 PM   
pontiouspilot

I have been assigned the the role of presiding over a "boys trip" to UK in spring of '15. For the speculators amongst us buy your scotch futures now!!

I would like a list of museums/sights etc that boys of "our ilk" would enjoy. I have the obvious ones: Duxford, Hendon (is one redundant??), Imp War Museum, Bovington, Portsmouth, Churchill War rooms, Belfast (I guess but a little boring after Mighty MO). I have seen some of these but my buddies have not so all ideas are welcomed.

I can't wait for some of what may be suggested!
Post #: 1
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 2:36:47 AM   
rustysi

I would have to go to Bletchley Park, but that's just me. I don't think there's much there, except an old mansion and a bunch of huts.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 2
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 6:14:57 AM   
RogerJNeilson

Slightly of the normal 'tourist tracks, this is great for an immersive feel to the war.

http://www.edencamp.co.uk/

Bovington is not to be missed!

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 8:30:21 AM   
Ralzakark

Second Bovington Tank Museum, which you mentioned in your original list, and and add the Fleet Air Arm Museum as well.

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 4
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 8:41:22 AM   
obvert

Firstly, let me know when you're over. If you're in London I could help find venues to consume good scotch in comfy surroundings, and would love to join on an outing or two.

I found Dover pretty interesting. Lots of activity here, and some remnants remain. There were even arty duels across the channel using the big railway guns!

Around London the Maritime Museums in Greenwhich are good value, and the Cutty Sark is there.

At the mouth of the Thames are the Mansel Forts (pic below), one of the more evocative and eerie remnants of the war. I think boat tours exist from nearby towns.

Nearby also is also the Liberty Ship SS Richard Montgomery, which sunk in the Thames loaded with explosives. Maybe not so good to visit!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 5
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 9:09:31 AM   
wdolson

Didn't somebody turn one of those Channel forts into their own country?

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 6
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 12:02:56 PM   
Encircled

Another recommendation for Bovington here.

Went this summer whilst on our way to France and its fantastic.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 7
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 12:15:10 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

I would have to go to Bletchley Park, but that's just me. I don't think there's much there, except an old mansion and a bunch of huts.

Me too. also the Tank museum....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 8
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 12:48:25 PM   
RogerJNeilson

What I loved about Bovington is the sheer number of vehicles, and the fact you can actually stand right up by them and touch them.

I have a load of photos somewhere - here is one showing just how close you can get

http://didactylos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XDrXMTW/0/XL/i-XDrXMTW-XL.jpg

Roger

< Message edited by Roger Neilson 3 -- 10/4/2014 1:54:50 PM >

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 9
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 3:27:07 PM   
Numdydar

OT to the OT :)

At the Aberdeen Proving Ground, the US Army Ordnance Museum in Maryland you can do the same, walk around and touch everything. One thing that really surprised me is just how frigging big tanks are when you are just standing on the ground. Everything is moving to Ft Lee in VA soon which will be a lot better as that is a lot closer to major population centers than Aberdeen is.

http://www.ordmusfound.org/

Post #: 10
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 3:36:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I have been assigned the the role of presiding over a "boys trip" to UK in spring of '15. For the speculators amongst us buy your scotch futures now!!

I would like a list of museums/sights etc that boys of "our ilk" would enjoy. I have the obvious ones: Duxford, Hendon (is one redundant??), Imp War Museum, Bovington, Portsmouth, Churchill War rooms, Belfast (I guess but a little boring after Mighty MO). I have seen some of these but my buddies have not so all ideas are welcomed.

I can't wait for some of what may be suggested!
warspite1

IWM Duxford. Get to ride in a Dragon Rapide. We were weighed and sat in specific positions to ensure the plane was not out of balance.... Great fun!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 11
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 3:54:25 PM   
pontiouspilot

All this is greatly appreciated!

Is it redundant to see both Duxford and Hendon? From one of the above posters I gather one of these also has AFVs, etc....I'm guessing from what I have read that Bovington is the big site for AFV?? Dover is a great idea! Is there anything in Plymouth worthwhile.....I have been to Portsmouth and will take an encore there.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 4:12:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Is it redundant to see both Duxford and Hendon? From one of the above posters I gather one of these also has AFVs, etc....I'm guessing from what I have read that Bovington is the big site for AFV?? Dover is a great idea! Is there anything in Plymouth worthwhile.....I have been to Portsmouth and will take an encore there.
warspite1

Check out the websites for Hendon and Duxford - I do not know it Hendon does the flights as well.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 13
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 4:25:37 PM   
pontiouspilot

I will let you know details when I have made them. I'm torn about staying in London and travelling out to the various sites versus moving around?? For the southern stops probably better to stay in Portsmouth and travel out from there.

RE: R. Montgomery...lets hope Costsa doesn't operate any cruise ships in area!!!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 14
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 4:30:44 PM   
pontiouspilot

Fleet Air museum....why in hell would this be located in the middle of country!!??...it's potentially on the way to Bovington.

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 15
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 5:51:49 PM   
wdolson

quote:

In my experience there is no such thing as too many military museums, but that's probably just me.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 16
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/4/2014 7:56:04 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Yes, can't remember exactly. A rock band leader? A tech millionaire? Something like that.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 17
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/5/2014 12:02:17 AM   
obvert

quote:

I will let you know details when I have made them. I'm torn about staying in London and travelling out to the various sites versus moving around?? For the southern stops probably better to stay in Portsmouth and travel out from there.

RE: R. Montgomery...lets hope Costsa doesn't operate any cruise ships in area!!!

It would be great to meet another forumite here in London. Definitely PM or post details closer to the visit.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 18
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/5/2014 7:53:32 AM   
Ralzakark

quote:

Fleet Air museum....why in hell would this be located in the middle of country!!??...it's potentially on the way to Bovington.

It's at the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton, an inland base. The Sea Harriers used to be based there when not afloat but now it is given over to helicopters.

It has a large collection of aircraft from WWI through to modern, well worth a look. Unfortunately the museum's own web site is being redeveloped, but you can get an idea of the collection from the wikipedia entry, though it doesn't list everything there such as two Fireflies. They have a Corsair stripped back to its original 1944 paint scheme.

Post #: 19
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/5/2014 8:18:58 AM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:19:56 AM >

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 20
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/5/2014 11:52:06 AM   
wegman58

Depending on where in England - HMS VICTORY (I wish I took that tour when I had a chance); HMS BELFAST (which I don't think was a museum in 1977) and the Tower. My eyes almost popped out of my head at the size of the emeralds and rubies.

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 21
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/5/2014 4:24:27 PM   
pontiouspilot

Victory at Portsmouth....very worthwhile, as was Warrier; I saw it 3 years ago...my buddies will have to see it. When I was there the Mary exhibit was under consruction. It should be done by now.

I saw Belfast 30 years ago on trip just outa law school but it now appears to be part of Imp. War Museum who do a wonderful job of things.

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 22
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/5/2014 6:51:41 PM   
Dixie

Where in the UK are you staying/visiting? I may be biased, but a visit to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) is always worthwhile. Up to about March the 'planes will be in maintenance so you can see what a WW2 aeroplane looks like when it's in pieces Spring is also the start of the workup to the flying display season so there's often some flying going on. Plus there are a lot of smaller museums and memorials as well Eurofighter Typhoons if you like small(ish) fast pointy modern stuff.

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 23
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/5/2014 7:19:41 PM   
Encircled

[image][/image]

Shame you were not over here last month, as the only two remaining flying Lancaster Bombers in the world were touring the country.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 24
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/6/2014 1:42:00 AM   
pontiouspilot

The trip will hopefully occur in mid-May. Dixie, should a person visit both Hendon and Duxford???

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 25
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/6/2014 3:30:13 AM   
BattleMoose

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Yes. Principality of Sealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

Particularly notable for its invasion and later hostage negotiations.

For a time very many passports were issued and were used largely in shenanigans to get through customs and what not.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 26
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/6/2014 12:19:21 PM   
AndyDuke

Two lesser attractions which are well worth the visit are East Kirkby (home of the Lancaster Just Jane which is undergoing restoration to air worthy condition - On Wednesdays they taxi her around) and The Shuttleworth collection at Old Warden.

I'll post urls to the web sites tonight.

(in reply to BattleMoose)
Post #: 27
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/6/2014 12:20:22 PM   
Jellicoe

Second all suggestions so far. Belfast was a museum ship back in 77 too. I think it ceased to be flagship of the reserve fleet in about 70 or 71 and became a museum ship shortly afterwards. Not as big as your US BBs but still a veteran of the battle of the north cape and worth a look.

No one has mentioned Chatham dockyard museum yet. Only a short train journey from London. Has HMS Cavalier a war emergency Ca class destroyer along with HMS Gannet a Victorian gunboat and an O class sub too as well as lots of other stuff. Launch site of the Victory. A trip to Kent also offers the opportunity to do some serious wine tasting in the many vineyards as well as drinking a lot of Spitfire bitter. 'Downed all over Kent, just like the Luftwaffe' as the slogan says!

(in reply to BattleMoose)
Post #: 28
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/7/2014 7:11:05 AM   
AndyDuke

As promised, but a bit late,

Shuttleworth web site is http://shuttleworth.org/

East Kirkby is http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

(in reply to Jellicoe)
Post #: 29
RE: Boys trip to UK - 10/7/2014 9:07:28 PM   
Dixie

quote:

The trip will hopefully occur in mid-May. Dixie, should a person visit both Hendon and Duxford???

I'd say yes as they're both good museums, but it all depends on cost etc.

Hendon is free entrance, but being in London that's the only free part about it It's very RAF-centric, whilst there are plenty of other things there (He-162, Bf-109 'Black 6') most of the focus is on the Royal Air Force so if you want a variety it's maybe not your thing. They have plenty of unique bits there though. The only original Defiant in the world, 100 Op veteran Lancaster S-Sugar, one of only two original Halifax bombers (in as recovered from the lake bed condition) and some nice Luftwaffe nachtjagers.

Duxford is a bigger site with a wider selection. It's not just military either, they've got plenty of airliners and particularly US stuff. It's also a lot easier to reach if you've got use of your own MT.

Another potentially worthwhile visit is RAFM Cosford, it's the second part of the RAF Museum and houses a lot of stuff not at Hendon. They've got a Cold War exhibit, a TSR.2, a Dinah, Nimrod, PV-2 and a smattering of other foreign stuff.

I'm assuming you're doing London, then I'll also add in the Science Museum as a worthwhile visit. They've got a ton of cool stuff including the only fabric winged Hurricane left and a Battle of Britain Spitfire (and an RB-211 engine, I miss those!) and loads of aero engines which is pretty cool (or maybe I'm a bit special like that). Plus they've got lots of non-aeroplane things. There's also the Natural History Museum next door.

The Tower of London is a good trip as well, get onto one of the guided tours with the Yeoman Warders, you won't regret it.

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Boys trip to UK Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI