Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> First Impressions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Impressions - 10/17/2014 1:08:52 AM   
VegasOZ

This game is excellent. It is very enjoyable and the game "mechanics" or "system" is excellent. I would like to see some PRESENT DAY Modern Combat mods or a new fresh title.

My only complaint is with the orders limit. I would think that a SP Arty unit that is in supply, has ammo and has not moved or been ordered to move should be able to accept a "phone call" and receive fire orders outside of the orders limit. Or, an SP unit so described should be able to be given a "repeat mission" order to continue to fire at the designated coordinates until ordered otherwise or it gets low on ammo.

My most pressing questions is why does a HQ unit often take up to 3 or 4 orders phases to execute a "blow the bridge" order? Line units seem to execute the blow bridge order on the phase that is is given, but not HQ. Is there some reason for that?

This game has definite potential for at least 3 new versions. Desert Storm, Red Storm 2020 (cutting edge modern combat units and weapon systems, hypothetical conflicts with China and Russia (Ukraine) and Middle East) and a whole series of Red Storm Eastern Front WW II battles, starting with Barbarosa and or Stalingrad.
Post #: 1
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 2:15:56 AM   
CapnDarwin

Thanks for the compliments and welcome aboard.

Arty, if under FSCC control, will take additional shots assuming there is a valid target in the queue, the arty unit is not scooting, and other minor things. Arty will be getting a massive overhaul in the next game (2.1 or Southern Storm).

Blowing a bridge take about 30 minutes to execute the order. The only case where it happens right away is a unit given a blow bridge order in the setup phase. If you have a case (save game) that shows a difference between HQs and line units let us know and we will investigate it.

I wish we had more hours in a week to work on the game so we could hit all of the eras and locations. We will be working the 80s Europe for now and then look at jumping to other times and places. Pretty much every one of the cases you listed is on a list of ours.

The 2.06 update will be showing up in the very near future and fixes a few things that broke in 2.04/05 and also adds a number of new items and combat/AI tweaks. We are very happy with the way the game is working and we really want to cut the cord and get on the laundry list of things we need to do for 2.1.

Enjoy the game. Comments and ideas are always welcome!

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 2
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 2:20:06 AM   
cbelva

Joseph, welcome aboard. I am glad you like the game. We have just put the finishing touches to what we hope to be the last patch to Red Storm and switching over to working on the next title in this series. We too want to see the game expand and grow. Rob and Jim have some great ideas and features to be added to the series as it grows.

There should be no different as to the amount of time it takes a HQ to blow a bridge vs. a line unit. I believe it is around 30 minutes for each one. I have blown numerous bridges with all types of units and have not noticed a different. However, we will keep an eye out for it.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 3
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 4:12:19 AM   
VegasOZ

Thanks for the post.
Capn Darwin did explain the reason for the delay that I "thought" I saw with the HQ unit. The Line units I mentioned were given setup blow bridge orders and that explains why I saw it as no delay.

The game system is excellent. I am a HUGE fan of Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge and FC:RS has that real time feel to it as well. I like the issue of the command timing delay and orders limit. Command Ops has basically the same thing except the units simply go into reorganize or sleep or just don't pay attention to the orders given until it suites them... LOL

My favorite scenario so far is "Pied Piper". I've managed a 66% contested victory after 4 tries and now will be moving on to some other battles.

With the whole package of the game "system", the counter designs, the scale and so forth, I would strongly suggest that the next offering be a "Command: Modern Air Naval Operation" for Land battles. The other two games/sims out there for very current combat are "Point of Attack 2" and "Decisive Action". Both of them have some issues with the concept of what we all call playable. I would pay $80.00 USD for a FC:RS 2020 Modern Land Combat Operations with a good sound data base and modeling of the weapons and still maintain the "playable" and eye candy that FC:RS has now. Even if the data base was "fudged" just a tad I think a ton of players would love to get their hands on something like that. I know there is some considerable distance between the lethal weapons of the 70's and 80's and those of today's modern battlefield. But it may be more a matter of range, accuracy and explosive yield than a total overhaul. The 70's and 80's set the table for the weapon systems now employed, as you well know.

Keep up the good work. BTW, FC:RS reminds me of one of my all time favorites from "the day": "Red Star/White Star" the old SPI paper and cardboard counters table top game. Also it reminds me even more of "NATO Division Commander" another SPI offering from the table top days.

Has any thought been given to adding a more aggressive ECM feature? Make it possible to use ECM as an offensive capability in control of the player? Also, EMCON is another facet of that factor. Maybe you start with an ECM rating and capability that can be kept in reserve and then unleashed at the time of a major attack or thrust. After it's use it take some time to "refresh or reload". Well, I'll leave that to the game designers to figure out.

Thanks for the GREAT GAME.

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 4
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 11:13:21 AM   
CapnDarwin

It was said in another thread, but a more modern setting is one of the many on our wish list to get to. Minus the Command name of course. Those guys might not like us running off with their moniker. We will be doing some more refinemnts to the EW side of things in 2.1. With the core game engine working well now, we can work on upgrading it in these areas with more detailed , but still fairly easy to operate enhancements. Somewhere around here we have some of the planned 2.1 target areas. Plus I'll be working in the next week to get more info posted here and on our website about 2.1 as well.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 5
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 2:20:52 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

Thanks for the post.
Capn Darwin did explain the reason for the delay that I "thought" I saw with the HQ unit. The Line units I mentioned were given setup blow bridge orders and that explains why I saw it as no delay.

Also be aware that a unit with a demolition order can be driven off the location with fire. They will defend themselves and it's not easy but it can be done.

quote:

My favorite scenario so far is "Pied Piper". I've managed a 66% contested victory after 4 tries and now will be moving on to some other battles.

That is a challenging scenario. From the feed we've gotten there appear to be other challenging scenarios in game as well.

quote:

With the whole package of the game "system", the counter designs, the scale and so forth, I would strongly suggest that the next offering be a "Command: Modern Air Naval Operation" for Land battles. The other two games/sims out there for very current combat are "Point of Attack 2" and "Decisive Action". Both of them have some issues with the concept of what we all call playable. I would pay $80.00 USD for a FC:RS 2020 Modern Land Combat Operations with a good sound data base and modeling of the weapons and still maintain the "playable" and eye candy that FC:RS has now. Even if the data base was "fudged" just a tad I think a ton of players would love to get their hands on something like that. I know there is some considerable distance between the lethal weapons of the 70's and 80's and those of today's modern battlefield. But it may be more a matter of range, accuracy and explosive yield than a total overhaul. The 70's and 80's set the table for the weapon systems now employed, as you well know.

Putting together a data base comprehensive as what FPC:RS has is no small task. I personally believe the steps up in lethality since the late 80's are considerably smaller than they were around that time. Some advances have obviously been made but not to the degree that thermal imaging sights, DU penetrators, ERA, etc. brought to warfare.

quote:

Keep up the good work. BTW, FC:RS reminds me of one of my all time favorites from "the day": "Red Star/White Star" the old SPI paper and cardboard counters table top game. Also it reminds me even more of "NATO Division Commander" another SPI offering from the table top days.

FPC has most of the attributes of all the old classics with a few twists of it's own thrown in for good measure.

quote:

Has any thought been given to adding a more aggressive ECM feature? Make it possible to use ECM as an offensive capability in control of the player? Also, EMCON is another facet of that factor. Maybe you start with an ECM rating and capability that can be kept in reserve and then unleashed at the time of a major attack or thrust. After it's use it take some time to "refresh or reload". Well, I'll leave that to the game designers to figure out.

The game has a wide range for ECM application currently. The ECM levels are set by the scenario designer. You can thank me for current levels in the scenario/campaigns. I expect ECM to be applied heavily by both sides. This would more than likely work to the Soviet military SOP's favor in an actual fight.

quote:

Thanks for the GREAT GAME.

Thank you, we appreciate your business and the kind words about the game.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 10/17/2014 3:21:28 PM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 6
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 4:25:59 PM   
VegasOZ

After playing this game for the last two days I now really understand why the Soviets felt that they needed some 50 K plus tanks in the Warsaw Pact. I am killing Russian tanks and APC's by the bushels but they keep coming don't they.

On that note, the Screen Order is designed to represent the NATO Mobile Defense theory, is it not? Shoot and Scoot??

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 7
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 4:38:31 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

After playing this game for the last two days I now really understand why the Soviets felt that they needed some 50 K plus tanks in the Warsaw Pact. I am killing Russian tanks and APC's by the bushels but they keep coming don't they.

On that note, the Screen Order is designed to represent the NATO Mobile Defense theory, is it not? Shoot and Scoot??

The Soviets expected to play WWII over again by being totally offensive minded and getting the same results. NATO played along with that using very close to WWII German tactics. From where I sit the Soviets would have probably won a short war. In Germany for sure, not sure how much of the rest of the continent they would have gotten but very likely most, if not all of it.

The screen order is designed for you to keep the enemy from closing. That is defensive in nature so NATO uses it the most.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 10/17/2014 5:40:17 PM >

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 8
RE: First Impressions: Stock Maps Style - 10/17/2014 4:41:18 PM   
VegasOZ

One quick note on what I would call marketing. At the risk of sounding negative... I would like it to be known that I have a large number of Matrix games in my collection. As such I have been watching FC:RS for some time. The thing that kept me from purchase for quite some time was the map graphics, to tell the truth. In fact, it was when I discovered the MOD maps with the Summer and Winter style (I forget the fine modder's name at the moment) that I decided to purchase the game. On that note, some of your modders are excellent. I use the sub units mod (adds the color pics) and I use that national flag symbol unit counter background mod as well. These enhance my enjoyment of the game.

My question is: Can/Would it be a possibility to have the mod maps style actually integrated into the game? Or, can the mod maps style be shown as a screen shot to illustrate the fine mod capability of the game? What I'm getting at is the mod maps style was, in my case, actually a selling point.

Now after I purchased the game, I was a tad regretful that I have not been enjoying it for a longer period of time due to the unattractive maps that come with the release version, but that is the way of the consumer. No accounting for people's taste.

Just a tidbit for the marketing department, mind you.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 9
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 5:11:45 PM   
CapnDarwin

A few of the fixes coming in 2.06 will get the Soviet forces shooting more as they assault and also doing support type firing at visible targets that are engaging friendly force (it applies to both sides, but most scenarios are Soviet attacks). A Time to Dance is a whole new ball game with the lead AT units firing off ATGMs at exposed US units.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 10
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 5:16:04 PM   
CapnDarwin

Maps. New maps from William (now on the OTS team) will be featured in the 2.06 update as the default maps. For those folks who enjoyed the original maps, they will be available in a sub folder if you want to dump them in the custom maps folder to use them.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 11
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 6:29:03 PM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Maps. New maps from William (now on the OTS team) will be featured in the 2.06 update as the default maps. For those folks who enjoyed the original maps, they will be available in a sub folder if you want to dump them in the custom maps folder to use them.

Very cool. I suspect that I am not the only one who may have balked at the original maps. In fact, I believe that over half of the reviews I read pointed to the maps as a weak sister in the mix.

Again, there is no accounting for taste. I am presently struggling with buying Pike and Shot because I really, really HATE the stupid unit graphics. I know, I know, it has nothing to do with the game play but, there it is, consumer preference.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 12
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 6:32:15 PM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

A few of the fixes coming in 2.06 will get the Soviet forces shooting more as they assault and also doing support type firing at visible targets that are engaging friendly force (it applies to both sides, but most scenarios are Soviet attacks). A Time to Dance is a whole new ball game with the lead AT units firing off ATGMs at exposed US units.

I happen to be in the middle of "Time to Dance". Now you are going to tell me that the Soviets are going to get MORE capability, MORE strength on the offense??

Where is my receipt?? I am going to demand a REFUND... LOL

BTW, this game is clearly RACIST...

It makes you HATE RUSSIANS... LOL

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 13
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 6:34:07 PM   
CapnDarwin

One way we dealt with consumer preference was having a very open and moddable game. If you really don't like a map, or marker or silhouette or data value or scenario go in and change it. That solves a lot of problems.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 14
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 8:07:31 PM   
cbelva

For all you that really like William's maps and have placed them in the "Custom" folder, I would recommend that you disable the custom folder when you install 2.06. Williams has totally redone his mod and it is better (IMHO) than his original mod that rocked. His maps will be the "vanilla maps" for the game once 2.06 is released.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 15
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 8:18:14 PM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbelva

For all you that really like William's maps and have placed them in the "Custom" folder, I would recommend that you disable the custom folder when you install 2.06. Williams has totally redone his mod and it is better (IMHO) than his original mod that rocked. His maps will be the "vanilla maps" for the game once 2.06 is released.

I did an overwrite of the default maps with William's maps (saved the originals, of course).

Will his NEWEST versions be integrated into the new patch or will it be necessary to download them and do a fresh overwrite?

BTW, I do not care for the MOD Map Markers that are out there. The original Map Markers look better and are more effect to my eyes...

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 16
RE: First Impressions - 10/17/2014 9:12:07 PM   
CapnDarwin

The new maps are integrated in the new release. That will be the main reason for the large download size when it comes out.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 17
RE: First Impressions - 10/18/2014 12:49:18 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

Not if you play from the Soviet side. Then it makes you hate NATO!!

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 10/18/2014 1:51:35 AM >

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 18
RE: First Impressions - 10/18/2014 1:13:07 AM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

Not if you play from the Soviet side. Then it makes you hate NATO!!

Good Hunting.

MR

I am 67 years old and a Cold War Baby.

Playing as the Soviets is simply NOT an option.

My entire existence has been dedicated to the destruction of communism and purging the world of Diet Coke.

LOL

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 19
RE: First Impressions - 10/22/2014 3:20:21 AM   
funkatron3000

I wanted to agree with VegasOZ -- this is a great game. I've been lurking on the forums for a while and finally took the plunge. On Target's dedication has been extremely impressive.

I just finished my first run through "A Time to Dance" tonight as the Soviets. Very enjoyable. I thought things were going badly, mostly due to my painful lack of skill, but I managed to win a decisive victory. Then I saw the Russians started with twice as many runners as NATO and felt much less impressed with myself

I was also going to ask about bridging but searched the forums and discovered that bridging is abstracted. That made much more sense. I was wondering how my T-80s crossed the river. Overall, I'm definitely in favor of abstracting bridge building. The only doubt I have is from reading Red Storm Rising too many times. River crossings were a significant part of the ground war and seemed difficult to pull off. My river crossing in "A Time to Dance" seemed very easy by comparison. I was expecting a tougher time. Did Tom Clancy overstate how delicate bridges are?

Thanks again for a great game! Looking forward to many more exciting battles!

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 20
RE: First Impressions - 10/22/2014 6:35:52 PM   
WildCatNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: funkatron3000
I was also going to ask about bridging but searched the forums and discovered that bridging is abstracted. That made much more sense. I was wondering how my T-80s crossed the river. Overall, I'm definitely in favor of abstracting bridge building. The only doubt I have is from reading Red Storm Rising too many times. River crossings were a significant part of the ground war and seemed difficult to pull off. My river crossing in "A Time to Dance" seemed very easy by comparison. I was expecting a tougher time. Did Tom Clancy overstate how delicate bridges are?

Thanks again for a great game! Looking forward to many more exciting battles!

Funkatron3000, welcome! Good to see you enjoying the game.

Wrt river crossings, the Time to Dance scenario is situated at Bad Neustadt where the water obstacle (the Brend / Streu) is at best a minor river, and not much wider than 10m, judging from satellite images.
The game also features major rivers (notably the Rhine, Weser and Main) which it models differently (at least 1 hex wide). Most likely, Tom Clancy referred to these major bridges.
Try the Pied Piper scenario to see (and seize) the Weser crossing.

William

William

(in reply to funkatron3000)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> First Impressions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI