Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HELP!..HEAD TO HEAD CABLE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> HELP!..HEAD TO HEAD CABLE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HELP!..HEAD TO HEAD CABLE - 3/28/2001 9:58:00 AM   
M4 Jess Housley

Hi ya all! will a head to head cable work for 2 player play...like on-line play? M4

I remember the Tigers...poor lost kittys....Here Kitty..kitty
Post #: 1
- 3/28/2001 12:18:00 PM   
Don

I sure hope so, Jess, because I'm getting cable in about two weeks. I don't see why it wouldn't - I can play H to H now against a guy with cable and I have 56k, so it seems that when both of us have cable it'll be even better.

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to M4 Jess Housley)
Post #: 2
- 3/28/2001 1:15:00 PM   
Pack Rat

I'm kind of thinking what you mean is connect two computers together in the same room with like a null modem cable? I've probably got two computers worth of parts laying around here, but what I would end up with wouldn't run the game and I'm lazy besides :) Anything I would say would be a guess, but I don't recall this feature being taken out, that is to say I think it was there before.

PR

Post #: 3
- 3/28/2001 1:19:00 PM   
Tom Proudfoot

It uses TCP/IP, and doesn't care (or know) anything about the actual connection. As long as you can get TCP/IP to work over whatever type of connection you're using, you should be ok.

Post #: 4
- 3/28/2001 3:38:00 PM   
Antonius

It does work with my two computers :) and has the added benefit that the connection never lags or brokes down :)

Wargamo, ergo sum

Post #: 5
- 3/28/2001 5:21:00 PM   
Don

Oops, sorry - I've got cable modem on the brain! Doh!

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

Post #: 6
- 3/28/2001 7:25:00 PM   
Don Doom

Told you to get DSL :D :D :D :cool:

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

Post #: 7
- 3/28/2001 7:54:00 PM   
Tommy

quote:

Originally posted by Don: I sure hope so, Jess, because I'm getting cable in about two weeks. I don't see why it wouldn't - I can play H to H now against a guy with cable and I have 56k, so it seems that when both of us have cable it'll be even better.
Don, I think he's talking about a null-modem setup, too. But you brought up a very good point. A cable modem is likely to be hiding behind a firewall (software) and/or a cable router (hardware), both for protection against hackers. Basically, this means your opponent can't see your PC. It's generally a pain and a security compromise to allow gaming through this protection. But if you take it away, you'll be hacked to death. Hackers normally don't go after a 56K modem connected PC - you're not online long enough. Once you get your "always on" cable modem, look out!. My Norton Personal Firewall was recording a dozen hacks per day (it stopped them all) before I got my cable router to hook up multiple PC's. That stopped the hacking completely - I'm invisible. Tommy

Post #: 8
- 3/28/2001 8:46:00 PM   
Kharan

I think it isn't possible to get TCP/IP working with a serial cable. Not a big loss though, as getting two network adapters and a cable is pretty cheap nowadays.

Post #: 9
- 3/28/2001 9:12:00 PM   
Cirrus

It's very possible to get TCP/IP to work with serial or parallel cable as long as you have right type of cable. Normal printer cable won't do the trick. Program called direct cable connection that coems with windows will be sufficent to play and of course you need to configure windows networking to use tcp/ip in both computers. I have played games with cable since win95 days. -- Cirrus

Cirrus
"You can cheat all people for some time and some people for all time, but not all people for all time.....and never your mom"

Post #: 10
- 3/28/2001 11:18:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

I got your email Jess and I am not familiar with how to get TCP/IP via a direct cable connection - perhaps Cirrus could post the instructions? In general a pair of network cards and a LAN cable is the better way.

Post #: 11
- 3/29/2001 12:29:00 AM   
Pack Rat

Don, Tommy is 100% correct, hackers will be into your system before you pay your first bill. They have software that can search out a small countries systems in a matter of hours. I have a link for a free fire wall that is rated pretty good on the web site. I had an ex-hacker hit my system with it on and ha said it was in good shape. I also believe there is a link on the firewalls web site to have your system checked for open ports. I've had other firewalls that I've bought but you have to be a programmer almost to figure some of the stuff out not user friendly at all. This is simple and good for most purposes. I've also been hearing good things about another free fire wall but I haven't tried it yet. Some people run more than one firewall at the same time figuring what one doesn't catch the other will. I did this for a time and indeed it appeared to be true. Anyway plenty of good stuff out there and well worth the small effort.

PR

Post #: 12
- 3/29/2001 4:13:00 AM   
bill_k

quote:

Originally posted by Pack Rat: Don, Tommy is 100% correct, hackers will be into your system before you pay your first bill. They have software that can search out a small countries systems in a matter of hours. I have a link for a free fire wall that is rated pretty good on the web site. I had an ex-hacker hit my system with it on and ha said it was in good shape. I also believe there is a link on the firewalls web site to have your system checked for open ports. I've had other firewalls that I've bought but you have to be a programmer almost to figure some of the stuff out not user friendly at all. This is simple and good for most purposes. I've also been hearing good things about another free fire wall but I haven't tried it yet. Some people run more than one firewall at the same time figuring what one doesn't catch the other will. I did this for a time and indeed it appeared to be true. Anyway plenty of good stuff out there and well worth the small effort.
I have a cable modem and never realized that hackers could get into your system. What is the link to the firewall you mentioned in your post. Bill

Post #: 13
- 3/29/2001 4:24:00 AM   
Cirrus

If you want to get direct cable connection to work go to http://www.google.com and use keywords: "direct cable connection windows". You find several good sites explaining the procedure more clearly that I can ever do :) -- Cirrus

Cirrus
"You can cheat all people for some time and some people for all time, but not all people for all time.....and never your mom"

Post #: 14
- 3/29/2001 6:58:00 AM   
Don

Thanks for the info, guys. I have downloaded Zone Alarm from http://www.zonealarm.com and plan to install it as soon as I get my new computer, which will be Friday and then I'll get the cable hooked up on 4/7. Bill, Zone Alarm is free and I believe it's the one Packrat was talking about. There's also BlackIce, which you pay for, but I heard it's not easy for everyone to use.

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

Post #: 15
- 3/29/2001 8:05:00 AM   
Cona

There are several free for personal use. http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm Saludos a todos, Cona.

"War is much too serious to be entrusted to the military." - Tallyrand

Post #: 16
- 3/29/2001 8:37:00 AM   
Pack Rat

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,001DGW,.html This is a link to the other firewall I'm hearing good things about. Sorry don't have the link to their home page. It appears to be geared more to cable modems. I would give them both a try and see what works best, if not both.

PR

Post #: 17
- 3/29/2001 7:50:00 PM   
bill_k

Thanks Don for the info, will check it out. Bill

Post #: 18
- 3/29/2001 10:21:00 PM   
Larry Holt

Cable modems are even less secure than DSL connections as everyone in your physical neighborhood is on the same cable segment which is like being on the same LAN segment. You don't need to break through any ISP security,you are all on the same IP subnet. I recommend going to WWW.GRC.COM then click on the link for Shields Up. You put in your own IP address then it scans your system and tells you how vulnerable you are.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> HELP!..HEAD TO HEAD CABLE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI