Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario/Campaign List?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Scenario/Campaign List? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario/Campaign List? - 2/24/2003 7:48:58 AM   
Birdgunner

Has anybody compiled a list of all the scenario/campaing names for SPWAW 7.1 and/or H2H?

This would help to track what scenarios or campaigns I haven't downloaded yet. Thanks.

Birdgunner!

UBIQUE!
Post #: 1
- 2/24/2003 10:21:39 PM   
Bing

Somebody said they were going to compile such a list a while back. AFAIK it was not done, if any part of it was done I don't remember it being posted.

The problem with such a list is the usual: It is obsolete the moment it is issued. New and revised scenarios and campaigns are posted in a pretty regular flow, then something like the Depot will come BACK on line making older scenrijos once again available, some of them having been superceded by v7.1 revisions, some of them not, who is going to sort it all out?

Then you go to, say, the Italain sites and find a whole bunch of scenarios you never knew existed, your Italain must be better than mine and Systran translation software doesn't like the Italian language.

If you have the time and patience to compile a list we sure could use it. Otherwise, print the directory, copy and pasted the online listings, or make use of a catalog app. I use Advanced Disk Catalog. It helps, but itself can be a drag to keep up to date.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Birdgunner)
Post #: 2
- 2/24/2003 11:39:17 PM   
Resisti

As Bing said, there is still not a full working game depot (but there is one, anyway, just check the Matrix home page). Then, given the many changes occurred to the game engine since version 1.0, all scenarios/campaign designed with versions earlier than the 6.0 are likely impossible to play with the actual engine and oob (7.1).
Best solution still, is to keep an eye to the different Spwaw support sites, where new scenarios/campaign are released on a semi regular basis.
Find a post from Gmenfan and follow the links in his signature, for this.
Some of these sites(like our one), offer the subscription to a newsletter announcing when new stuff is available.
Finally, don’t miss to check also this specific forum as here, too, you can find some good scenario to play from time to time.

Finally, Bing is wrong on the Italian site, as I normally help that guy translating the text into English ;)
Or maybe Systran has even more difficulties to translate MY english than Italian :D

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Birdgunner)
Post #: 3
- 2/25/2003 1:14:47 AM   
Bing

Come sta, Federico - I am not referring to the text files within the scenario zip packages. Rather, I am writing about going to a website where the entire presentation is in a foreigh language.

Google will, if requested, "translate" the website if the user fills in the URL in the Google search box. Here is what I got from a "translation" of Scenari website:

"This Section is the fruit of the collaboration of gets passionate to you that they make available ..." - which means something quite unintended in the English language. I'll get passionate with my girlfriend, wife or significant other, not with the guys at Scenari, if that is OK with them.

I believe Google uses the Systran translation engine (?). There is something about the glories of the Italian language it can't cope with. (I am not being sarcastic, much of what we now speak came from Latin, the Med was the cradle of Western civilization including develoment of the Romance languages.)

Perhaps it is everyday, idiomatic usage Systran can't handle. I don't really know. I do know it does a terrible job with Italian, pretty good with German, rather good with French, I haven't done Spanish and Portugese with it to date.

Considering the international nature of SPWAW, I think it would be a good thing if Scenari and the other Italian site (my URL for the other one is no longer valid) would have an English language option. Lots of other gaming sites run by users and fans do this.

Otherwise, I can limp along with Systran and make the best I can out of it - the options are frightfully expensive, running into literally hundreds of US dollars for translation software suitablle for commercial use.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

(in reply to Birdgunner)
Post #: 4
- 2/25/2003 4:51:03 AM   
Resisti

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bing
[B]I am not referring to the text files within the scenario zip packages. Rather, I am writing about going to a website where the entire presentation is in a foreigh language.

Considering the international nature of SPWAW, I think it would be a good thing if Scenari and the other Italian site (my URL for the other one is no longer valid) would have an English language option. Lots of other gaming sites run by users and fans do this.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I see now, Bing.
And I fully agree.
If you're referring to "Avanti Savoia" site, yes it's a pity for it to be in Italian, only.
There's quite a bit of interesting content which could come handy, if the text was in English, too.
I've thought many times to propose a collaboration to the site's owner, in order to put up an english version of it, but then I withdrew cause I'd have not time enough to do it properly.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Birdgunner)
Post #: 5
- 2/25/2003 6:39:19 AM   
Bing

Yes, pardon me, I did not have the main page in fron of me, it is indeed the Avanti Savoia. I can imagine the amount of work involved with maintaining a dual language site if there is any amount of activity. We don't do it for English language sites, I suppose there isn't a good reason to expect others will do so.

So, the heck with it, I will listen to Mario del Monaco sing Otello. Decca have provided texts with translation, a good idea for the language impaired.

Bing

(in reply to Birdgunner)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Scenario/Campaign List? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI