Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob question.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob question. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob question. - 10/27/2014 6:39:59 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Hi all,

Still reading all of the great strategy threads, and the one question that seems to keep bubbling to the top of my list is:

Should I have tech trading on or off. I understand the mechanics (I think), but what is the actuall impact on game play? If I turn it off, I am prematurely eschewing an entire way of generating income. Am I also shutting this off for the AI? Does this handicap the AI, or is the AI not good at this, and so turning it off makes for a more even playing field?

Basically, my question is this: Why would I turn this off, and how will the game be fundamentally different if it is turned off. What are the early-mid and late game impacts of having this off?

There are many other conflicting issues from the many strategy guides, but this one seems to carry the greatest impact to my noob eyes.

< Message edited by Major SNAFU -- 10/27/2014 7:41:12 PM >

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
Post #: 1
RE: Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob quest... - 10/27/2014 7:35:15 PM   
PsyKoSnake

If you turn it off, you will need to manage your cashflow very carefully.
If you are a noob, keep it on. Play the game. Then, if you want more chalenge turn it off.

Right now I play game with Improved Ai Extended Mod 1.03, tech trading on.did not trade tech until maybe 40 years. Wanted to avoid using this feature. But when you have too much troop and too much ship. It help staying in positive cashflow.
You need cash, you sell tech... But it make the game easier.

< Message edited by PsyKoSnake -- 10/27/2014 8:49:13 PM >

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 2
RE: Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob quest... - 10/27/2014 7:59:40 PM   
Aeson

quote:

Why would I turn this off

Because you can make an incredible amount of money selling technologies to the computer factions, and some players feel that this is abusive to the point of making the game significantly less challenging and enjoyable. Combine that feeling of less challenging or less enjoyable with the lack of ability that some people have to prevent themselves from playing in an 'optimal' way despite said 'optimal' way being less fun for them, and you should understand why some recommend that you disable tech trading.

quote:

Should I have tech trading on or off

Do you like:
- Being able to help a computer faction out technologically?
- Being able to sell technology to supplement your current tax income or cover a temporary deficit?
- Being able to purchase technologies you do not have from a more advanced neighbor?

Do you feel that:
- Raking in millions of credits per game year by selling minor technologies to your competitors is abusive?
- Bankrupting your opponents by offering them 'deals' on technology is abusive?
- You will not be able to prevent yourself from abusing the above to replace taxation and other standard methods of income or attacks despite feeling this is less fun?
- The benefits of being able to trade for computer-held technologies does not offset the issues caused by the abuses?

Answer those questions, and you may find the answer to your question. I cannot answer them for you, and these are probably not the only questions you should ask, but it's a start for thinking about whether or not you want to include tech trading.

quote:

Am I also shutting this off for the AI?

Probably, though the computer only sells technologies to people that it thinks that it likes a lot (something like 30 or 50 in positive relations modifiers), and tends not to sell technology after technology after technology to the player. A human player might speak to each faction every few months trying to sell any technology they can for as much money as they can get; the computer will not do that, as far as I can tell.

quote:

Does this handicap the AI, or is the AI not good at this, and so turning it off makes for a more even playing field?

What do you mean by 'more even playing field?' How are you using tech trades? Are you handling them in a manner similar to how the computer handles it, making occasional deals for several hundred thousand or a few million credits or trading your technologies for their technologies with a bit of money swapping hands to balance the deal, or are you a door-to-door tech broker, selling any technology you can get your hands on to as many computer factions as you can for as much of their money as possible? Are you using items of questionable value, like that abandoned space port you found in an asteroid field that now stands in the computer faction's territory and has a list price of ~1 million credits, to purchase their technologies and then turning around and selling those technologies for millions of real credits to all the other computer factions in the game that don't already have them? Are you spending millions of your credits to buy a technology and then making tens of millions selling that technology to the other computer factions? Or are you keeping things reasonable and trading your technologies for their technologies, occasionally buying their technologies with money and maybe selling a technology to a close friend if it'd help them or you need a bit of money to cover a short-term deficit? If you're doing this last, then you're not abusing technology sales (much), and probably aren't gaining any significant advantage over the computer factions (you might be, though, if you have lots of friends and therefore can trade techs with lots of people, and the few factions you don't like don't have anything like this kind of friend network). If you're doing the earlier things, then you're abusing the technology sales, and probably causing the computer factions a significant amount of economic trouble as they blow through their treasuries paying for the technologies you're offering them, potentially crippling their treasuries while boosting your own astronomically.

Tech trading is one of those things where it might be helpful to leave the advisor on, or even give the advisor control, just to keep you 'honest.' The computer isn't going to suggest that you sell techs to people that the computer thinks that your faction shouldn't like, and as importantly, it's not going to suggest that you sell lots of technologies to lots of factions at a rate that allows you to use technology sales to replace your regular income (for the most part, though one tech selling for a million credits or some such thing can be a considerable boost to the treasury even so) and it's not intentionally going to suggest that you sell technologies in a way that consistently bankrupts your opponents.

quote:

I understand the mechanics (I think), but what is the actuall impact on game play?

Tech trading in theory accelerates the overall technological progress of the galaxy and allows factions that are friendly with one another to further build up that relationship and aid one another in ways which are not necessarily directly related to the economy or the military. It theoretically keeps the technological levels of the various factions within the galaxy relatively close to one another. In practice, there is little control over how the human player can trade technologies, and as a result there is a lot of opportunity for the human player to break things while making millions off of selling technologies which are not directly militarily important - i.e. selling improved fuel cells or command centers or cargo bays to other factions while preserving your lead in torpedoes, and perhaps shrinking their lead in some other militarily-important technology. It's also not clear how much tech trading goes on between the computer factions, as this is not something that the player can easily observe, and so it's a bit difficult to tell if the theory holds in practice even when the human player isn't abusing the system.

Post #: 3
RE: Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob quest... - 10/27/2014 10:45:25 PM   
Cauldyth

I usually turn it off, but I'm kind of opposed to that feature in games in general.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 4
RE: Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob quest... - 10/27/2014 10:46:51 PM   
Skyjack

I never have trading on. I like getting ahead then using my superior tech vs opponents.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 5
RE: Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob quest... - 10/28/2014 12:37:53 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

The only use I have for Tech trading is to snatch up some race specific techs, otherwise I am almost always ahead of the curve in all areas.

Without the AI mods though tech trading is kind of a farce. I can sell some race 'Tech XXX' for millions of credits, confidant that their designs never use that tech so I will never have to face it myself. But that seems rather like blatant cheating.

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 6
RE: Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob quest... - 10/28/2014 2:53:05 AM   
Major SNAFU_M

Many thanks for all of the replies.

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 7
RE: Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob quest... - 11/12/2014 6:12:42 PM   
Rabble

One question.
I play 40 years ingame at that moment.
Then i try to sell techs to another empires they can only give me other tech with near cost but then i click on money
click click .... all that they can offer is 23000k or 65k. Not millions that you say here. Why? They lack of money? Too early ingame?

Post #: 8
RE: Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob quest... - 11/12/2014 8:46:49 PM   
PsyKoSnake

Select an other empire. Or maybe you are playing at to low difficulty,

(in reply to Rabble)
Post #: 9
RE: Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob quest... - 11/12/2014 9:06:27 PM   
Rabble

Difficulty is set to normal. 95% settings is default age of shadows on its default settings.

Other races also trade techs to each other? If i turn off tech trading - any guarantee other races dont trade techs to each other? Any possibility to check this?

< Message edited by Rabble -- 11/12/2014 10:10:00 PM >

(in reply to PsyKoSnake)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech trade or not to tech trade, another noob question. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI