Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War's End?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> War's End? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War's End? - 10/31/2014 1:39:41 PM   
zulurider

Assuming neither side surrenders - Does the war end automatically on a specific date? What's the max date it can be played?

< Message edited by zulurider -- 10/31/2014 2:40:47 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: War's End? - 10/31/2014 4:18:12 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: zulurider

Assuming neither side surrenders - Does the war end automatically on a specific date? What's the max date it can be played?

It is in the manual, but I think it is end of March 1946.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 10/31/2014 5:18:37 PM >

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 2
RE: War's End? - 10/31/2014 7:00:31 PM   
zulurider

Thanks. The manual, who would have guessed??

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: War's End? - 10/31/2014 7:14:03 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: zulurider

It is in the manual, but I think it is end of March 1946.

There's is substantial evidence in the archives that it's scenario-based. I'm pretty sure I played Scen 2 to the end of April. Been years though.

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: War's End? - 10/31/2014 9:08:56 PM   
Lokasenna

I believe it's May something, 1946.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 5
RE: War's End? - 10/31/2014 11:58:09 PM   
wdolson

You can also see when a scenario ends by looking in the editor. Look at the scenario info and the end date is in there.

If one side or the other reaches the VP level, you will get an auto-victory before then, but you can continue playing if you want.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 6
RE: War's End? - 11/1/2014 2:10:42 PM   
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

The question is, how many people have actually played till May, 1946? I'm curious because I'm guessing most Allied players would have said "ok, nice defense, you win Japan" by then.

John 21:25

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 7
RE: War's End? - 11/1/2014 4:11:05 PM   
Lowpe

I always hate how these super long grand campaign games end with a whimper and a simple game over screen.

There should be fireworks, a printable certificate, medals, awards, movie, flyover, parade...in other words all sorts of easter eggs for being crazy enough to reach the end.

(in reply to leehunt27@bloomberg.net)
Post #: 8
RE: War's End? - 11/1/2014 5:18:22 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

You can also see when a scenario ends by looking in the editor. Look at the scenario info and the end date is in there.

I looked, but all I could find was the number of days, not a date. Scenario 1 and 2 are both 1634 turns.

The Moose

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: War's End? - 11/1/2014 5:20:47 PM   
AW1Steve

Here's a variation on the question. Since the date is in the editor, any way to extend it? Say 1948?

Post #: 10
RE: War's End? - 11/1/2014 5:34:05 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Here's a variation on the question. Since the date is in the editor, any way to extend it? Say 1948?

I typed in '2000' in the Turns box and it "took." Don't know if the engine has some other imposed limit inside.

When I played AI to shut-down the Japanese AI had only one base left, no ships, a few planes. Once the Soviets activate there's no way any player, no matter how bad as Allies, could take to 1948 to win.

The Moose

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 11
RE: War's End? - 11/1/2014 5:52:25 PM   
Skyros

I did not know the game ended, I thought you just started another game.

Post #: 12
RE: War's End? - 11/1/2014 6:43:18 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I typed in '2000' in the Turns box and it "took." Don't know if the engine has some other imposed limit inside.

When I played AI to shut-down the Japanese AI had only one base left, no ships, a few planes. Once the Soviets activate there's no way any player, no matter how bad as Allies, could take to 1948 to win.

Thanks Steve! I'll try that! (It's definitely good news! Now if only we could start the war earlier.........

Post #: 13
RE: War's End? - 11/1/2014 8:16:56 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Thanks Steve! I'll try that! (It's definitely good news! Now if only we could start the war earlier.........

You can't, but there are date boxes there to start it later. Might be interesting to start with the scenario start map, but in the summer of 1942 with the Allied air OOB at that point, etc.

The Moose

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 14
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 3:34:41 AM   
wdolson

Well I did recently finish a long campaign. The JFBs might want to avert their eyes...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 4:05:04 AM   
witpqs

Crikey!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 16
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 11:29:41 AM   
zuluhour

talk about fighting to the last man!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 17
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 11:32:06 AM   
zuluhour

I'd like to see the VP screen for this.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 18
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 11:53:13 AM   
wdolson

The game was against the AI, so I don't claim any huge accomplishment. I went all the way against the AI once in the original WitP, I got to a point in this game where I just wanted to see how long it would take. I think the WitP game finished in late 1943, this one ended June 4, 1944, so the AI did put up a better fight. Though most of the last 5 months was the battle for Tokyo which made Stalingrad look like a minor skirmish. The Japanese had 16000 AV and 9 level forts there. It took the entire Allied war effort to break their back. Almost literally. Every LCU that could be put on a ship was sent to Japan. I was using some Commonwealth and Dutch units for garrisons to free up units for combat in Tokyo. Almost every Russian unit with an AV, all LCUs with an AV more than 100 (and some less), every combat engineer units, and every artillery unit was committed. There is still 42000 AV there because I didn't move anything out after Downfall. Three cities surrounding Tokyo are also full of units that got too chewed up to remain in the city and were moved out to recover. I had Southeast Asia, Southwest Pacific, and the Soviet Far East HQs within one hex to help units recover.

The good news is I didn't have that much to do the last few weeks of game time. All I had to do was shuffle damaged units out, and move repaired units back in.

Bill

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 19
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 12:02:24 PM   
zuluhour

I lost more "on the field" on Dec. 7th than you did the whole game!!! How did the AI fair at killing capital ships? I assume you went after Japan with an eye towards conserving them. I was considering an AI game as Japan. 

ps One final question, did you use PDU on? Use "ace laden squadrons?

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 11/2/2014 1:03:39 PM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 20
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 1:17:54 PM   
wdolson

I played it fairly conservative after the early going. I lost a couple of old battleships at Pearl Harbor and I think one more in the early months, I think it was defending Port Morseby. For early carrier battles, I made sure they happened near home turf so the damaged carriers had a chance and I was able to save all damaged carriers. I was aggressive with ASW and a fairly large number of losses were ASW ships that lost a battle with a sub. I probably lost 30-40 ships in ASW battles.

I did have PDU on, but I didn't do any effort to load up any squadrons with aces. Most of my air to air kills were scored after Korea fell. I first moved a lot of engineer units into southern Korea along with most of the AA available. As the bases got built up, I moved in more and more fighters. There were big air battles every day with heavy Japanese losses. Since the Allied pilots were over their home bases, pilot losses were small.

For some time during the air defense phase in Korea my top ace was a Kiwi, he survived the war, but the Kiwis were out of the bulk of the air war once things started going offensive until they got Corsairs, but by then Japanese resistance was weak.

As the bases got built up and the raids began to weaken, I started sweeping with some of my fighters. Most of the early sweepers were Corsairs which did rack up a high total. VMF-111 had something like 8 of the top 10 aces, but it was just luck of the draw. Because it was earlier in the OOB, it probably swept first most of the time and got into the most enemy fighters. I was careful to keep pilot fatigue low and even stood them down for a day or two. This did reduce losses.

It took awhile to get enough supply and enough base units into Korea to start offensive bombing operations. I had bombers sitting in various bases waiting to move in for a long time.

Bill

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 21
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 2:36:03 PM   
zuluhour

Thanks for sharing this Bill,
kb

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 22
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 3:57:19 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I played it fairly conservative after the early going. I lost a couple of old battleships at Pearl Harbor and I think one more in the early months, I think it was defending Port Morseby. For early carrier battles, I made sure they happened near home turf so the damaged carriers had a chance and I was able to save all damaged carriers. I was aggressive with ASW and a fairly large number of losses were ASW ships that lost a battle with a sub. I probably lost 30-40 ships in ASW battles.

I did have PDU on, but I didn't do any effort to load up any squadrons with aces. Most of my air to air kills were scored after Korea fell. I first moved a lot of engineer units into southern Korea along with most of the AA available. As the bases got built up, I moved in more and more fighters. There were big air battles every day with heavy Japanese losses. Since the Allied pilots were over their home bases, pilot losses were small.

For some time during the air defense phase in Korea my top ace was a Kiwi, he survived the war, but the Kiwis were out of the bulk of the air war once things started going offensive until they got Corsairs, but by then Japanese resistance was weak.

As the bases got built up and the raids began to weaken, I started sweeping with some of my fighters. Most of the early sweepers were Corsairs which did rack up a high total. VMF-111 had something like 8 of the top 10 aces, but it was just luck of the draw. Because it was earlier in the OOB, it probably swept first most of the time and got into the most enemy fighters. I was careful to keep pilot fatigue low and even stood them down for a day or two. This did reduce losses.

It took awhile to get enough supply and enough base units into Korea to start offensive bombing operations. I had bombers sitting in various bases waiting to move in for a long time.

Bill

If you said it I missed it - how did you get the Soviets to activate?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 23
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 5:00:41 PM   
zuluhour

quote:

quote:

Bill

yes, how did you? I missed that little caveat completely, June '44.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 24
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 7:10:55 PM   
msieving1

quote:

quote:

I looked, but all I could find was the number of days, not a date. Scenario 1 and 2 are both 1634 turns.

On every tab in the editor except, oddly enough, the Scenario tab, there's a display in the lower left corner that shows the start date, end date, and number of turns. For Scenario 1, the start date is December 7, 1941, the end date is May 29, 1946, and the number of turns is 1634.

-- Mark Sieving

Post #: 25
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 7:38:42 PM   
AW1Steve

So as long as we are talking about "screwing with the start/stop dates" , that is being able to start the war later and continue later, here's two semi related editor questions. (Please understand ,I HAVE read the manual, just don't always understand it). If you check the RESPAWN block, does this mean the old respawn feature from Vanilla WITP is reactivated? What ship types apply?

And two , I understand you can change "Soviet activation" to yes, but that activates the USSR on the starting day. Any way to activate them sooner , but not from day one?

Thanks in advance.

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 26
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 8:03:21 PM   
EHansen

Section 16.1.1 in the main manual:

16.1.1 AUTOMATIC SHIP REPLACEMENTS
There are several instances in which replacement ships may be provided as reinforcements
if a ship is sunk during the game. Replacement ships are generated if the option is selected
for the scenario and
:
An American CV is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by an Essex-class CV.
An American or Australian CA that is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by a Baltimore-class
CA or a Cleveland-class CL. The replacement class is chosen at random.
Japanese Midget Submarines will be replaced with a Type “D” Midget Submarine
Whenever a replacement ship is created, it will be placed in the reinforcement list and given an
arrival time of at least 450 days from the date the original ship was sunk.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 27
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 10:09:09 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: msieving1

quote:

quote:

On every tab in the editor except, oddly enough, the Scenario tab, there's a display in the lower left corner that shows the start date, end date, and number of turns. For Scenario 1, the start date is December 7, 1941, the end date is May 29, 1946, and the number of turns is 1634.

Figures the only tab I looked at was Scenario.

The Moose

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 28
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 10:26:19 PM   
wdolson

quote:

Bill

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour
yes, how did you? I missed that little caveat completely, June '44.

Taking Tokyo with that kind of force stationed there is completely impossible without the Red Army. I popped over to the Japanese side by running a turn Head to Head. I was trying to help the AI a bit by converting air units to something in the pool. After the heavy air battles of 1943, there were a lot of Japanese air units with no planes and production was inadequate to replace them, but there were other airframes in the pool. Anyway, with all of Manchuko in Allied hands, the Soviets activated the 3rd or 4th time I popped over to the Japanese side.

I know a large number of AI players know about switching to Head to Head (I've seen people mention it here). I wouldn't mention it if I haven't seen others talk about it. You can only switch modes if you started the game in something other than PBEM. With PMEM the play mode is locked into that mode for the duration. I have seen some AI players switch sides after a while to see if they can save the situation from where the AI has left them. I have seen others who put the game in Continuous on Head to Head for a few game months, then start play from where they broke in.

Bill

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 29
RE: War's End? - 11/2/2014 10:33:41 PM   
zuluhour

Ah So

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> War's End? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI