Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Becoming clear

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Gateway to Caen >> Becoming clear Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Becoming clear - 7/15/2014 12:21:10 AM   
topper6

It's more or less becoming clear to me now after following this forum for a while.

The developers have a clear state of mind about what they wan't from this game. Unfortunately this does not correlate much with the players who buy series after series.

At the moment, although I have stated in previous posts about other concerns, it's becoming clear that Matrix does not understand multiplayer techniques.

The only, and simply outstanding, working solution to playing Close Combat as multiplayer was Microsofts gaming lobby. There you were able to play the game and at the same time look for oppononents.

Seriously Matrix, this is not a game with 100k players who are willing to sit in game, waiting for opponents to arrive to the most crappy match making forum you have ever seen.

I don't know why I'm making this post since it's been obvious for soo many years what we players wan't and you have time after time failed to live up to our demands as buyers of this game.

Henrik Hedberg aka topper in the former Microsoft Gaming Zone.
Post #: 1
RE: Becoming clear - 7/15/2014 1:29:40 AM   
Nomada_Firefox

quote:

Unfortunately this does not correlate much with the players who buy series after series.

I would like fix your words. The should be...."this does not correlate much with a few players who buy series after series".

quote:

The only, and simply outstanding, working solution to playing Close Combat as multiplayer was Microsofts gaming lobby. There you were able to play the game and at the same time look for oppononents.

MSN Zone was great but it was at other time and probably today, it would be a complete ****. But I agree, I would like a lobby similar to it but.......most of the people would not use it because in the past we use things as gameranger or the old battle hq and they were similar but without success. At the end, if there is a problem, the problem is how it is not a game with 100k players as you tell.

At this moment I would be happier if the game would add a normal ip connection and the matrix lobby.

(in reply to topper6)
Post #: 2
RE: Becoming clear - 7/19/2014 7:25:18 PM   
STIENER

i agree with you topper. too bad really.
nomada.....yes i agree........"I would be happier if the game would add a normal ip connection and the matrix lobby"

(in reply to Nomada_Firefox)
Post #: 3
RE: Becoming clear - 7/21/2014 5:50:42 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

Direct connection is (IIRC) part of the upcoming patch. It was removed because the Windows 8.1 update included an OS change which broke it, but we were locked into our release date.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 4
RE: Becoming clear - 11/8/2014 9:06:26 AM   
STIENER

so Pip......is a direct connection like LSA, TLD etc, coming out in the next patch? when is the next patch?

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 5
RE: Becoming clear - 11/10/2014 4:19:58 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

The latest patch, from months ago, reinstated the direct connection (e.g. the online play can connect machines directly if their firewalls are open). If you mean without the lobby, this is not what was meant.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 6
RE: Becoming clear - 11/10/2014 11:21:35 PM   
WoT

can we Lobby to have no lobby

Post #: 7
RE: Becoming clear - 11/10/2014 11:23:25 PM   
WoT

and an extra 2 cents

if you are making multiplayer so hard as to stop people playing H2h then you should at least supply an AI that will attack and defend in a coordinated manner to make single player CC enjoyable.

(in reply to WoT)
Post #: 8
RE: Becoming clear - 11/10/2014 11:43:40 PM   
Tejszd

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

Direct connection is (IIRC) part of the upcoming patch. It was removed because the Windows 8.1 update included an OS change which broke it, but we were locked into our release date.

Cheers

Pip

Did the patch adding back direct connection and removing the dependency on the Matrix/Slitherine forum/servers ever come out?

Post #: 9
RE: Becoming clear - 11/10/2014 11:59:37 PM   
WoT

I think Pip is playing with words here

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 10
RE: Becoming clear - 11/11/2014 5:05:02 AM   
STIENER

Pip
thats what i meant and what i thought you meant in your post. too bad.

(in reply to WoT)
Post #: 11
RE: Becoming clear - 11/11/2014 3:55:56 PM   
SteveMcClaire

No one is playing with words. The direct connection system is in the latest updates, and it creates a /direct/ connection between the two players' machines via TCP/IP. Once this happens the lobby system is no longer involved and it is essentially identical to the old multi-player system.

The only difference now is that you use the lobby to find your opponent and automatically get his IP address.

Steve

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 12
RE: Becoming clear - 11/11/2014 9:33:40 PM   
Tejszd

Essentially but not the same....

The lobby/server has caused problems as shown in this thread and in others. In addition when the lobby/server are turned off by Matrix/Slitherine, like it was for MMCC3 in this thread; http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3529426 , then nobody will be able to play H2H any longer....

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 13
RE: Becoming clear - 11/12/2014 12:31:22 AM   
STIENER

gotta agree with Tejszd. there is now a shelf life on CC H2H games....and that isnt cool IMO.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 14
RE: Becoming clear - 11/12/2014 3:38:17 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

The MMCC3 issue is entirely different. As has been stated before (MANY times) the problem is that we never had the source code to this 3rd party wrapper that we were hosting, and the binary no longer runs on up to date versions of windows. Coupled with the tiny number of people actually using it it was really the only thing that could be done.

We have never turned off a game server.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 15
RE: Becoming clear - 11/13/2014 1:23:45 AM   
mooxe

In our case, direct connection means two PCs connecting without any intermediary like the lobby.

Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.

Post #: 16
RE: Becoming clear - 11/13/2014 1:37:18 PM   
PztCrackwise

Pip, perhaps you have never turned a server off. However, there were some issues with your servers some time ago and people could not connect to the lobby / or even if they were connected to the lobby, they could not connect to each other. And this was due to the intermediary SERVER/Lobby system inbetween!

That's what we are trying to say here. The security and reliability of the connection depends on how healthy your servers/lobbies are, and there is no alternative.

(in reply to mooxe)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Gateway to Caen >> Becoming clear Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI