Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Paratrooper Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Paratrooper Question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 4:13:04 PM   
zulurider

For some reason I cannot get my Dakotas to transport the remaining 30 men from a paratroop unit. Are these guys AWOL or something????
Post #: 1
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 4:55:14 PM   
rockmedic109

Is it a device that is too big to get on an airplane?

Are they in Stategic Mode?

Are they still at Mama Lara's House of Ill Repute?

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 2
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 5:06:01 PM   
EHansen

If it is a USMC paratroop unit, the engineers are probably too big to transport.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 3
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 5:07:01 PM   
zulurider

Haha -- I think the are ****-faced in some dive in Rangoon....Article 15 for sure!

Anyway, from what I can see it's only 30 men, no hardware. They are in combat mode, and 90% of their comrades have already been dropped on target. I keep resetting the planes to transport troop mode for these 30 guys, but next turn they are still there and the transports reverted back to supply mode.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 4
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 5:08:29 PM   
zulurider

It's a Chindit unit, I believe.

(in reply to EHansen)
Post #: 5
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 5:10:59 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: zulurider

Haha -- I think the are ****-faced in some dive in Rangoon....Article 15 for sure!

Anyway, from what I can see it's only 30 men, no hardware. They are in combat mode, and 90% of their comrades have already been dropped on target. I keep resetting the planes to transport troop mode for these 30 guys, but next turn they are still there and the transports reverted back to supply mode.

You say "men", but what device? That's what matters to the game engine. It looks up the size of the device to see if ti fits in that model plane (or even if it is too big to be allowed for air transport).

If it is really the very same device as some that have already transported, then obviously there is some other problem.

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 6
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 5:14:26 PM   
zulurider

Where do I see the "device" size, and check to see if it would load on an aircraft?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 5:21:52 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Where do I see the "device" size, and check to see if it would load on an aircraft?

The device size can be seen in the scenario editor and - I believe - in Tracker. Search the forum or wait for someone else to jump in with the answer of the size cutoff for air lifting.

As far as what the device is, just look at the LCU's display screen. Each line is a separate device type, with the quantity of that device to the right.

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 8
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 6:35:17 PM   
HansBolter

Are the 30 men in disabled squads?

Disabled devices will not airlift.

The devices have to recover before they can load.

Hans

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 7:39:56 PM   
zulurider

Don't think they are disabled -- just hanging out in Rangoon for many turns - but I will check, thanks.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 10
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/13/2014 7:49:47 PM   
Q-Ball

Post a screenshot of the offending fragment.....that will probably get you an answer

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 11
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 1:22:53 AM   
rustysi

quote:

For some reason I cannot get my Dakotas to transport the remaining 30 men from a paratroop unit. Are these guys AWOL or something????

I have the same thing happen from the Japanese side. For whatever reason it won't paradrop my inherent engineer devices in a paratroop unit. The devices aren't disabled.

quote:

You can find it right from the game. The menu bar at the top of the screen has a couple of database buttons, you can see the device size within. The manual 7.2.4 Troop and supply transport (p270), will explain the mechanics of the operation.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 12
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 11:02:59 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

I have the same thing happen from the Japanese side. For whatever reason it won't paradrop my inherent engineer devices in a paratroop unit. The devices aren't disabled.

quote:

You can find it right from the game. The menu bar at the top of the screen has a couple of database buttons, you can see the device size within. The manual 7.2.4 Troop and supply transport (p270), will explain the mechanics of the operation.

I have seen the same with regard to aircraft refusing to load the engineer devices.

Hans

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 13
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 12:48:39 PM   
zulurider

So is this a bug? I mean, the transports will load HMG and even light artillery. What could the "device" be?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 14
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 2:32:42 PM   
Alfred

It is not a bug.

The Chindits are not real paratroop units so why do you expect them to be fully air dropped.

The probable offending devices are the 3.7" mountain gun and the 6pdrAT.  A screenshot would have confirmed this or you could simply read the relevant sections of the manual and the game screen as pointed out already.

Alfred

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 15
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 2:37:06 PM   
witpqs

quote:

So is this a bug? I mean, the transports will load HMG and even light artillery. What could the "device" be?

I've already told you how to find out. You previously said it was "30 men", so you are looking at something.

As Alfred suggests, post a screenshot.

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 16
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 3:11:59 PM   
zulurider

Ok I'll post a screenshot.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 17
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 3:13:50 PM   
zulurider

The unit is designated as "INFp"

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 18
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 3:14:26 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

It is not a bug.

The Chindits are not real paratroop units so why do you expect them to be fully air dropped.

The probable offending devices are the 3.7" mountain gun and the 6pdrAT.  A screenshot would have confirmed this or you could simply read the relevant sections of the manual and the game screen as pointed out already.

Alfred

I believe his original post was about transporting not airdropping.

Hans

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 19
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 3:23:18 PM   
witpqs

quote:

The unit is designated as "INFp"

The way the game engine works, the unit must be designated as para-capable for it to para-drop in. That is what the "p" means. In addition, each device must meet both criteria I mentioned earlier; be small enough to fit on the planes being used, and be small enough to be allowed to para-drop regardless of airplane used.

Air transport is different from para-dropping. Air transport implies that the planes land at the destination, so there must be a working airfield there. The unit does not have to be para-drop capable, however the restrictions on a per device basis still apply; the device must fit in the planes being used, and the device must be small enough to be allowed air transport.

Knowing the unit is designated "INFp" is nice, but it is not what I suggested that you look at. Post the screen pic.

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 20
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 3:31:00 PM   
zulurider

I will, thanks. Didn't intend to cause confusion. I guess I'm a newbie to WITP AE compared to most here. Thought my question would be a quickie! I'll post a screenshot.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 21
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 3:34:56 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

It is not a bug.

Alfred

I believe his original post was about transporting not airdropping.

His post #1 only used the term "transport". Which could mean several things. But his post #4 clearly refers to dropping onto the target. One does not drop onto a target if merely transporting from one owned airfield to another owned airfield.

Alfred

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 22
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 3:50:59 PM   
zulurider

I para-dropped the unit to an enemy-owned, undeveloped base hex. The unit designation is "INFp", and the offending "device" that will not load is called: "cdo/para engineer".

But I will post a screenshot when I get home (Yay Friday!More WITP time!!!)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 23
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 4:02:15 PM   
Alfred

quote:

I para-dropped the unit to an enemy-owned, undeveloped base hex. The unit designation is "INFp", and the offending "device" that will not load is called: "cdo/para engineer".

But I will post a screenshot when I get home (Yay Friday!More WITP time!!!)

That can have a load cost of 10. Check specific scenario to see what rating it has been given.

Alfred

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 24
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 4:03:19 PM   
zulurider

Thanks.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 25
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 9:42:14 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I have seen the same with regard to aircraft refusing to load the engineer devices.

Yeah, my current game is the first I've noticed this. I've had time to think about it and I checked my game and figured out what's different this time. This game I dropped them on an unoccupied base that had a zero AF level. In all other games I took a base with an AF of at least level 1 and they were 'airlifted' in the next turn. So I figured para unit or not the engineers are not para capable. This is for I those IJA para regiments that include some engineers. Oh, and its a Scen 1 stock (1108...) game.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 26
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 10:28:03 PM   
zulurider

Here's the unit

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 27
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 11:14:47 PM   
Lowpe

You dropped on an enemy dot base and then took it. Now more units cannot be air transported there, to a friendly base, because there is no runway? Or are you using floats? I don't think so since you mention Dakotas.

(in reply to zulurider)
Post #: 28
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 11:31:22 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Or are you using floats?

Good idea, that's a way to get 'em there. Possibly?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 29
RE: Paratrooper Question - 11/14/2014 11:31:23 PM   
EHansen

Cdo/Para Engineer has a load cost of 10. Air transport of troops is limited to a load cost of 9 or less.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Paratrooper Question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI