Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

bugs, praises, questions and suggestions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Gateway to Caen >> Tech Support >> bugs, praises, questions and suggestions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 6/19/2014 9:03:27 PM   
vobbnobb

I finally got to put some long hours into this game. I put together a list of bugs and suggestions I have found. I can post it here, upload here to txt file or PM the file to someone at Matrix.

< Message edited by vobbnobb -- 6/19/2014 10:10:27 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 6/20/2014 5:28:12 PM   
SteveMcClaire

Please feel free to post them here.

Thanks,

Steve

(in reply to vobbnobb)
Post #: 2
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 6/20/2014 6:33:01 PM   
vobbnobb

I had a chance to finally play Gateway To Caen. I spent hours on end while playing noting different things and bugs or not and also problems. Overtime I wrote them down to help future development. Most of them are very minor, but still possibly a good read for any future patches.

------Crashes------

-CC GWTC Crashed towards end of long battle in campaign..
Error stated something along the lines CC has stopped working error BEX something then game exits to desktop Only happened once during campaign

------Options,Screens,Menu------

-Screen is skipping around wildly often. I think I first saw this during PITF. I will have to experieriment with mouse speed in game options or possibly windows settings to see if anything helps.

-I think Everyone could benefit from another 'zoom in' level on magnifier box, cc1 originally had 3. As people age this would help a whole lot to have that option.

-sound slider in options should have a slider for Music,Voice,SFX seperatley for each one.

-No text label or larger drawing of tanks armored cars and artillery that states what type it is on soldier after battle report screen, just tiny icon on bottom that you would have to be in military to understand

-Mgs and crew weapons missing from small vehicle after battle screen like .50cal gun on HTs, uni carrier missing bren icon and other german vehicles don't show crew weapon.

-On the troops battle preview screen they have blank/empty boxes on bottom center still for specific weapons and grenades types, for instance on cross of iron most of these boxes are completely filled with icon and sound.

------AI------

-Sometimes Infantry thrown smoke is way off target lands behind or to the side of team just about.

-Noticed AI exploits terrains far better than what a human player can see from above, for instance an mg42 can see soldiers hiding in ambush that you can only see horizontally from within the game, while the human can't get into that position (always sees above)

-AI doesn't use smoke mortars nor smoke grenades, they use flares at night nicely but no smoke.

-German Halftrack armor is too much, crew survives heavy tank hits same with small PSW-222 always see bailouts, never killed inside.

-Enemy MG-42 never kills 1 team member always gets 3-5 guys in building sneaking away doesn't help either.

-British tank crews announce "out of ammo" when destroyed.

-Bailed tank crew runs at enemy still fail to use cover. I think it would be neat if some where controllable would save KIA/MIA in campaigns and would use pistols.

-Light unarmored cars and trucks face tanks head on instead of trying to flee when enemy armor spotted.

-M10s miss insanely on armor target by 40 meters or more. to the sides or over the top.

-Crew mortars lose a mortar shell mid air with no shell hit when put in defense arc while shell is in air. No landing sound either.

-British 3 inch mortar team won't engage inside 100meters? Get "too close" message.

-Tanks can't seem to pop smoke in front of them, while sneaking behind at same time they have to stop (may be experience level)

-British 2in and 3in mortars have tiny hit chance on enemy in buildings compared to German 8cm, is the german shell stronger?

-Not sure if AI armor cant get immobilized?

------Campaign------

-Randomizer problem. Enemy units are not split up on most battlegroups sometimes I'm up against 4 Pak-40s or 3 8cm mortar teams

Also different tanks are rarely mixed in. Examples never see a grille with a panzer iv and don't see any snipers, trucks or sMG42s until battle group is almost expired.

Shouldn't this be more random? Why does the group have to be almost depleted to see certain teams? Sometimes I'm forced to cheat during campaign when a lot of battles im up against 14 panzer 4's. I have to add in other units and delete half of them to mix it up alittle bit.
EDIT I had end battle with morale too low off, I left it on and game mixed in units better during campaign.

---Main Campaign Game Map and movement---

I haven't really noticed anything wrong, explosions and sounds look very nice on map.

------Weapons&Ammo------

-No Boys AT Rifle

-No STG-44 Gun

-No No.68 AT Rifles Grenade for British rifle guys?

-No Gammon bomb, sticky grenade or Hawkins grenade?

-British flame-thrower teams? "Lifebuoy"

------Terrain------

-Maps are beautiful again like always

-Some crop fields with cover show poor instead of fair, even with high crops. .5-1 of a meter. to regular ground. AT guns are hidden with poor cover labled.

-some maps hedgerow areas, when hit with HE shows stone rubble graphics when no stone present instead of wood but labeled as wood.

------AT Guns------

-No Ordnance QF 2-pounder?

-Can't place AT guns in buildings anymore?

-AT Gun groups survival rating low, enemy mortars come in accurate on them every time as well piat guys and vickers hardly survive after opening fire.

-AT gun crew faces opposite direction of blue arc while in hedgerow bug? (They turn barrel opposite of blue arc, 1 team broke a wheel doing this) My guess is they were moving hiding the barrel from view or just a bug.

------Ideas, Things I Noticed, Thoughts & Questions------

-Noticed terrain has more of an importance in this game than any previous cc game. Winning depends on ALL of it.

-New Impact sounds are a nice addition.

-Sounds are great and pleasant on the ears, no headache pounding mp40 or mg42, they sound awesome. (the BESA is kind of sharply loud though as well as larger calibre mortar impacts)

-No more protection from mortars in buildings in ambush mode loose at least 2-3 guys.

-Maybe add a preplanned armor movement ghost position like you can already do with troops before they move

-Explosions look great, but armor should have more of a fireball or black? looks like dirt cloud or when cooking off later on.

-Where are the British armored cars like AEC, staghound and Tetrarch?

-Noticed rubble blocks troops movement in buildings.

-Non mortar barrage mortars seem to immobolize or damage shermans but not Pz IVs

-No matilda, vickers Mk VI, cruiser or centaur tanks?

-Any panzer I,II or III tanks? wespe or nashorns, marder varients? Hetzer or stuH 42? ferdinand or elephant jagdpanther or the Iv's? Puma armored car?

-sIG33 self propelled assault gun variants that can be added in patches? I'm sure most of these were in the area around that time of the battle.

-pak38 for germans?

-Mounting troops on tanks for transport?

< Message edited by vobbnobb -- 6/22/2014 6:50:01 PM >

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 3
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 6/21/2014 12:47:43 AM   
PztCrackwise

I have almost only played multiplayer games so far. What striked me as different from previous CC releases was how inaccurate tanks, ATGs, AT infantry were. A very common thing was they almost always missed the first shot. I can understand if tanks misses at ranges perhaps further than 300 meters or something. But missing so often below 100m distance? Panzerschrecks tended to miss also a lot during the games, even though I had command teams nearby. 1/5 or 2/5 hit ratio with them at the same target so far.

Another thing which bothers me: Tanks move incredibly slow. Ok, I can understand they move slow in rainy weather. But I also played an Operation in normal weather conditions, and they still moved so slow. Apart from churchill crocodile, I don't think other armor could be so slow. Especially PzKpfw IV and Panthers should be much more agile. (At least they were in previous CC games)

< Message edited by PztCrackwise -- 6/21/2014 11:20:25 AM >

(in reply to vobbnobb)
Post #: 4
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 6/21/2014 1:38:24 AM   
mooxe

I am going to take a guess and say they move the same speed as CC5. Since they are now twice the size graphically it appears they move slower. I could be wrong but...

Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.

(in reply to PztCrackwise)
Post #: 5
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 6/22/2014 6:42:15 AM   
STIENER

we have complained since LSA that a tank or a gun cant hit the broad side of a barn...seriously...i totally agree, its BAD..why is this????
its CLOSE COMBAT...theres no way a tank or a gun should miss a building at these close ranges. german optics were legendary.
allied optics wernt bad either but germans was better. a german tank could hit a target at 2000 yds easy but in this game we can miss a house at 200 yds and miss it more than once......really??? theres a problem here matrix.

the a/t inf just needs to be tweaked...as does the tanks and guns......up the accuracie PLEASE

< Message edited by STIENER -- 6/22/2014 7:43:41 AM >

(in reply to mooxe)
Post #: 6
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 6/22/2014 5:16:45 PM   
vobbnobb

The tanks moving slow is just the weight of the tank on muddy ground during rain or a storm. You will notice your troops get winded trying to get through the mud. That's where uni carriers would work good. As far as the tanks not hitting when shooting I found that when you come from a moving stop to shoot the barrel may still be moving and misses and or maybe some tanks have problems shooting a certain way, barrel elevation on un-even ground (having half the tank on a hedgerow while other half on a road would make it hard for gunner to target or shoot) etc. Who knows maybe Matrix put in a recoil dampening on certain types of ground to make some shots better than others. Maybe the weather in the map, rain etc even causes some gunner targeting problems.

It could just be the crew as well, were they vets or greenhorns? Suspension probably makes a huge difference in the shot also. my theory anyways. The shermans had gyros and were better at this. not sure about which tanks on British side had them and also which German tanks did or did not. Maybe someone can help my dig up some articles online for this matter as I am interested now as well.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vobbnobb -- 6/22/2014 7:12:12 PM >

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 7
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 7/1/2014 3:40:07 AM   
STIENER

LOL...seriously?

(in reply to vobbnobb)
Post #: 8
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 7/1/2014 1:59:27 PM   
CGGrognard

I have to agree with the act do deploying smoke by any method doesn't seem to land where expected. In my current campaign I've had a squad to deploy smoke to cover its retreat from a direct facing enemy, only for the smoke to land to the right of their position. To add insult to injury, when deploying smoke by mortar team, it's smoke landed nowhere near the designated target spot, although a spotting team was nearby. Out of three smoke mortar rounds, only the last one landed where targeted.
Armor has better results deploying smoke though it seems their little plume of smoke conceals the tank entirely..

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 9
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 7/3/2014 12:54:02 PM   
Cathartes

Mortar smoke deploys the same way as HE rounds, so accuracy is about the same--you still need to deploy a spotting round. There are no plans to increase the accuracy of mortars.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 10
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 11/18/2014 6:23:52 PM   
thesock

All the CC games are about the tanks, and yet there has been little improvement since Invasion Normandy. In fact some more resent games are worse. I always go into the abs and speed up their movement and turret rotation. But what can't be changed is the firing sequence. You know the one, where you are sat in ambush, panther comes into view side on, you fire. The game waits for the length of time it would take the turret to rotate 180 degs, then it loads a round, then it fires, and in this game nearly always misses. Or if your unlucky the panther calmly rotates round and knocks you out before you even fire. There needs to be a way of programming the game so that the least rotation needed, the faster you can fire, also the default for the gun should be always loaded. Other wise what is the point of achieving tactical surprise. And please stop cluttering up the force pool with ineffectual vehicles. Trucks, jeeps et al. How often have you driven a truck to a gun, limbered up and then moved it to a new location and re-deployed it? Me, never. As for night, it's pointless. If a enemy unit sees my guys crawling across their front at 30m in the dark and shoots at them, fair enough. But this sighting now allows any and everyone to engage with accurate fire from all over the map, something that is just not possible at night.

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 11
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 11/18/2014 10:36:56 PM   
PztCrackwise

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesock

All the CC games are about the tanks, and yet there has been little improvement since Invasion Normandy. In fact some more resent games are worse. I always go into the abs and speed up their movement and turret rotation. But what can't be changed is the firing sequence. You know the one, where you are sat in ambush, panther comes into view side on, you fire. The game waits for the length of time it would take the turret to rotate 180 degs, then it loads a round, then it fires, and in this game nearly always misses. Or if your unlucky the panther calmly rotates round and knocks you out before you even fire. There needs to be a way of programming the game so that the least rotation needed, the faster you can fire, also the default for the gun should be always loaded. Other wise what is the point of achieving tactical surprise. And please stop cluttering up the force pool with ineffectual vehicles. Trucks, jeeps et al. How often have you driven a truck to a gun, limbered up and then moved it to a new location and re-deployed it? Me, never. As for night, it's pointless. If a enemy unit sees my guys crawling across their front at 30m in the dark and shoots at them, fair enough. But this sighting now allows any and everyone to engage with accurate fire from all over the map, something that is just not possible at night.

Very good points there. I myself, would prefer tanks and ATGs to NEVER automatically fire on infantry unless the order is given manually. This is very important, but somehow noone fixes this issue.

Also, night battles are not fun in this game. The visibility range as well as the accuracy is too damn high and needs to be reduced. The option to not have any night turns should also be implemented in the custom scenario creator tool.

(in reply to thesock)
Post #: 12
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 11/20/2014 12:24:11 AM   
STIENER

as Herr Crackwise says.....very good points thesock...and of course Herr crackwise mirrors my sentiment on the a/t guns shooting at inf.
but your preaching to the choir here...the powers that be just dont seem to be to interested in listening to us who post and have taken an interest in trying to improve the game. the usual answer is...well theres only a few of you who think this is an issue so its not an issue.
im not saying dont post....for sure post.....the MORE the better... but we have been beating these issues to death [ maybe not the nite issue, but the, ineffectual vehicles, a/t guns shooting at inf, and the cant hit the broad side of a barn ] with matrix and were getting no where.
sad..really sad.

(in reply to PztCrackwise)
Post #: 13
RE: bugs, praises, questions and suggestions - 1/4/2015 8:22:40 PM   
EasyE

Been enjoying the CC series for years, as well as playing Advanced Squad Leader since the late 1990's. Find many of the points referenced in this thread to be spot on and definitely would encourage the designers to consider making changes as the problems seriously diminish game play. I play solo, and hate it when I get shot by tanks which the game suggests my tanks can't see, even though they are moving and I am stationary.

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Gateway to Caen >> Tech Support >> bugs, praises, questions and suggestions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI