Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 7 - Amphibious Ops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 7 - Amphibious Ops Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 7 - Amp... - 11/19/2014 5:56:54 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Dangun,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dangun
I was hoping to buy WiTW, as an improvement over WiTE.
But senseless detail has been added, not removed. Yuck!

Which parts do you find senseless? I feel we improved player information management in many respects for WITW. We also had to add in the mechanisms for the Allied invasions and the air system which was never the focus for WITE had to be able to handle the strategic air campaign. For the air system, we specifically built it so that players who just want to deal with the ground war can automate it and players that also enjoy the air war can dive in.

I don't find the logistics significantly more complex than WITE, but they are much, much more realistic which ends up enhancing the gameplay and strategies.

The basic interface and gameplay is still very close to WITE, just more realistic and able to support the kind of strategic air and amphibious campaign that was key to the Western Front, rather than just the ground warfare that characterized most of the East.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Dangun)
Post #: 31
RE: WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 7 - Amp... - 11/20/2014 4:27:54 AM   
Dangun

When I first played WiTE against the AI, I thought it was fantastic.
I could focus on core combat and movement, refighting historical events on a massive scale.

But when I started playing human opponents, victory seemed less determined by combat and movement, and instead victory seemed more determined by the min-maxing of "too many, overly complex, ahistorical, and frankly boring mechanisms." Victory was determined by whether I had spent hours allocating the right support units to max fortification growth, or had I mastered the magical aerial resupply of tanks with fuel... HQ build-ups, general reassignments, truck management, air op settings etc. etc.

IMHO, this is the type of detail that a PC game should simplify and expedite and not inflate it into a victory condition. The beauty of the PC is that it facilitates games of this scale, whereas using the PC to add compelxity is often a very mixed blessing.

That may be a longer answer than your question was soliciting. I was hoping that WiTW would learn more from what was (apparently from the forums) causing problems/turning people off of WiTE, whereas I see more non-core mechanisms and more complexity.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 32
RE: WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 7 - Amp... - 11/20/2014 6:53:32 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dangun

When I first played WiTE against the AI, I thought it was fantastic.
I could focus on core combat and movement, refighting historical events on a massive scale.

But when I started playing human opponents, victory seemed less determined by combat and movement, and instead victory seemed more determined by the min-maxing of "too many, overly complex, ahistorical, and frankly boring mechanisms." Victory was determined by whether I had spent hours allocating the right support units to max fortification growth, or had I mastered the magical aerial resupply of tanks with fuel... HQ build-ups, general reassignments, truck management, air op settings etc. etc.

IMHO, this is the type of detail that a PC game should simplify and expedite and not inflate it into a victory condition. The beauty of the PC is that it facilitates games of this scale, whereas using the PC to add compelxity is often a very mixed blessing.

That may be a longer answer than your question was soliciting. I was hoping that WiTW would learn more from what was (apparently from the forums) causing problems/turning people off of WiTE, whereas I see more non-core mechanisms and more complexity.

It’s obvious this game is not for you, but getting angry and berating a game that I and many others enjoy immensely is not going to do anything except raise your blood pressure. There is a large audience for Gary Grigsby games and his designs are usually very complex in nature and appeal to a certain kind of gamer. I would suggest you look at games like WW2 Road to Victory or any of the offerings by SSG, they would probably be more in line with the kind of game you would enjoy.

Jim

(in reply to Dangun)
Post #: 33
RE: WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 7 - Amp... - 11/20/2014 8:13:46 AM   
Dangun

[/quote] It’s obvious this game is not for you [/quote]

Did you notice that I began by saying that playing against AI was fantastic?
Or do you actually mean that anything other than rabid enthusiasm is unwelcome in the forums?

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 34
RE: WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 7 - Amp... - 11/20/2014 9:43:02 AM   
sh0nyu

Don't want to argue now - but I will make clear that I enjoy WitE especially for the details of staff duty ;).
Sorry if this offends you...

Exactly logistics and all this "bloody organizing" of troops is the key for victory. Mostly the men in the field will perform well but all their heroism isn't worth a penny if there is a lack of leadership and organization. There Gary and the team make an outstanding job to add every possible detail. And that's why I'm a "rabid enthusiastic" - for sure!

(in reply to Dangun)
Post #: 35
RE: WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 7 - Amp... - 11/20/2014 10:01:09 AM   
morvael

Yeah, one has to have affinity towards staff work to enjoy a significant part of the WitE/WitW design. Myself, I prefer it more than the hex combat part.

To each his own, simple as that.

(in reply to sh0nyu)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: WitW: The Big Differences from WitE - Part 7 - Amphibious Ops Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI