Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What I Enjoy About This Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> What I Enjoy About This Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What I Enjoy About This Game - 11/20/2014 7:06:15 AM   
Rob322

I recently played "Black Horse" as the Americans and had an interesting exchange surrounding the little town of Willmars. Willmars has (as of 2012) a population of 591 but I'm guessing it wasn't much different in 1989. But in my game it became the focal point of the battle and changed hands multiple times.

The first time was when a Soviet Tank Battalion rolled through on the way to Faldungen. The Infantry was following the river but one Tank Battalion shot up the forest road. The town was not contested and thus fell easily.

A turn or two later, an American Tank Heavy Team activated NE of Willmars. I immediately sent them down the forest road to take the town. When they got there they found an HQ troop, some AD and a little infantry. They quickly overran the Soviets and took back the town with little fuss. This gave me a boost as NW of here, I was getting my rear handed to me in Fladungen.

The Soviets counter attacked with a battalion sized force consisting of Motor Rifle troops and AT units. I screwed up my deployments and when the Soviets came in they were right on top of me. My mech platoon was wiped out and my tank forces were driven back with heavy losses. The Soviets reclaimed Willmars.

After regrouping, my Abrams re-engaged at range and shot up the Soviets. After a second turn I was able to move them forward and retake Willmars. It was not over yet.

The Soviets really wanted the town. They sent a fresh T-80 company up the road from the SW against the town. My HUMMV section died there. This time however I pulled the remains of the Team back (essentially 4 tanks) and once again yielded the town. My tanks took up positions in the woods upslope of the Willmars NE of town and waited.

The Soviet company continued to move through the down and went into the treeline due East of town. 10 T-80s began trading hot punches with 4 M-1A1's 2000 meters apart. We both lost a tank and I was prepared to write the team off and try again further west. Then, I caught a huge break.

The sun went down.

Suddenly, visibility went down to 500 meters. The M-1's began picking off T-80 after T-80 with no return fire. After a couple turns the Soviet Company was history and the remains of my Team streamed back into Willmars as the scenario ended.

The town was mine. I can't imagine much was left of it but I managed to end up with it. And that was what was great; the computer put up a helluva fight and after 5-6 ownership changes I have to admit, even if I lost, I would've been intensely satisfied with the results of the game. I could imagine the scene, the stress of combat and the determination of the men of both sides to fight hard.

As for everything else, I won a contested victory. I took a lot of losses which held my score down (and I think I learned how to handle my forces better next time, DON'T LET THE SOVIETS GET TOO CLOSE!!!!!) but I also chopped them up but good. Damn that was fun and this is why I love this game.

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 11/20/2014 8:12:20 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: What I Enjoy About This Game - 11/20/2014 11:18:22 AM   
CapnDarwin

Thanks for sharing the adventure. The tip of the hat goes to Mad Russian for great scenario design and to Rob's mad programming skills that gives us such a dynamic and sometimes evil AI. Plus all of the suggestions, comments, and bug reports we get from you players that allow us to make an even better game as we go.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 2
RE: What I Enjoy About This Game - 11/20/2014 10:56:06 PM   
budd

you nailed it, win or lose i love it when a battle goes back and forth. Not a common thing at all in today's games for the AI to do that. Watched the twitch video and i'm really looking forward to the update......did someone tell the guy doing the video not to bunch his forces so much

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: What I Enjoy About This Game - 11/20/2014 11:33:27 PM   
CapnDarwin

See how not to do something is just as good as seeing what to do.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 4
RE: What I Enjoy About This Game - 11/21/2014 2:58:51 AM   
Rob322

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

you nailed it, win or lose i love it when a battle goes back and forth. Not a common thing at all in today's games for the AI to do that.

That says it well. It didn't feel like an AI, it felt like I was in a fight with a stubborn and determined opponent.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 5
RE: What I Enjoy About This Game - 11/21/2014 4:08:32 AM   
budd

I guess sometimes we all like sweeping tactical genius total victories, but i prefer to be the last dog standing in a dog fight........priceless... and since i'm prone to stupid, unsound tactical moves....i get into a lot of dog fights.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 6
RE: What I Enjoy About This Game - 11/21/2014 2:10:56 PM   
Mad Russian

Hopefully the scenarios/campaigns create more Dogfights then they do Tactical Genius Victories. They were balanced to the point that they would give at least a draw. When I could fight the computer to a draw then I let others play it. Since I created them and had played and tinkered with them endlessly once I had the computer fight me to a draw I felt they were good enough to let others play them.

That's about the same time Charles decided I was an evil designer.

The fact that AI is reactive and not just programmed makes all the difference in the world as to how they play out. We all have different playing styles and the AI responds to them all. Best possible answer.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 7
RE: What I Enjoy About This Game - 12/6/2014 9:29:59 PM   
Vaevictis_386

I agree wholeheartedly with the praise. This is the only computer game that has an AI I respect, and that is a tribute to the great programming and brilliant scenario design that gets the most out of the AI. Hats off to you guys!

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> What I Enjoy About This Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI